Hopefully I won't get bashed on for this. Anyways, you know what I really miss about zombies? The Nazi aspect of it. The Nazi Zombies themselves. There was just something about them that made the game feel entirely different. Almost like an extra element added to them that seemed to make them feel scarier and more intimidating than just random zombies. I realize at their core they're all the same, but still, there was just something about them that made the game all that much better.

I didn't mind breaking off from the Nazis a bit, a breather isn't a bad thing every now and then, but I'd always hoped they would return to their roots and bring the Nazi Zombies back. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love the story and what's been done with it(Minus the fact we lost our beloved Original Characters at least for the time being, need them back ASAP but that's another topic), however I still hope to this day that maybe, just maybe they can somehow find a way to re-implement the Nazi Zombies into the game.

I could think of a number of ways to do it but there are people out there who would probably do a much better job of it than I would, lol. What I really wanna know is; Am I alone here in this thought?

Would you be excited if somehow Nazi Zombies were reincorporated into the game or would you be disappointed?

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think zombies has evolved so much over the yrs most people don't even remember it was Nazi Zombies(not talking about people on this site)when it started on WAW. Keep in mind lots of people didn't get into zombies until BO1 and don't have that memory of the cutscene from NDU. The casual zombie player has no grasp on the characters or the storyline so it doesn't even register with them.Many many times on BO1 I can recall hearing ppl say YEAAAAHHH I'm the american not even knowing the characters had names or on Moon hearing whats an easter egg. You aren't alone in wanting to see zombies return it its roots but it prob wont happen.

I wouldn't mind seeing them return, but I imagine the location would be basic. I can't imagine them doing a Kino, with Swastikas everywhere.

They can still make it work though. Have an outpost that was decimated during the war, have a building eventually built over it that is somehow relevant, and wallah, you have a very barebones Nazi Zombies map!

I think you're forgetting that since the addition of a narrative, zombies has borrowed heavily from its campaign counterpart. Nazis and Japanese imperial soldiers in WaW (set in WW2), maps in the US, southeast Asia and Russia in BO1 (vietnam/cold war) and then the current game with maps in China and Africa which each have levels in campaign. It's not about the game "forgetting its roots", it's about keeping it relevant within the setting of the game on the whole. It allows it to borrow from history while still being fiction. From a development side it makes it easier seeing as you then don't have more guns, textures, map layouts and settings than the game can handle. I recognize the game modes origins, but logically it doesn't make sense to bring actual nazi zombies back. I'd rather see the story develop further than revert back to a gimmick.

That "gimmick" was what separated it from the rest of them as "not just another zombie game" so to speak. Who had ever heard of Nazi Zombies outside of like, Dead Snow? It was unique and it gave the game a much different atmosphere than if they were just random zombies.

I counter your original point with Kino Der Toten, the models used were specifically for the zombies, no other characters in the game wear the same uniforms. The only Nazis encountered in the campaign are in the snow and look completely different. Back then, zombies was just an add-on in the early stages, it evolved into it's own entity by the time Black Ops rolled around.

The campaign and the zombies story don't really tie in together, sure there are some connections but it's an overall different universe(Maybe even a parallel one). The map in Africa isn't actually in Africa, it's a Western Town that was moved to Africa by tectonic activity, so technically speaking, you're in America..In Africa. Odd but true.

I don't think the game's forgotten it's roots, at least not completely. I like the idea of a basic rundown type area. It could still be loaded with features and whatnot, it just wouldn't be as fancy, perhaps more factory-esque like Der Riese. They could easily re-implement the zombies as Nazis into the game and make it work, with all this time-travel we've been doing and whatnot. Not to mention, they are zombies afterall, could always just be long-dead Nazis that have been roaming the Earth for a while.

Numerous possibilities.

Yes, the zombies mode is a different universe. What I said was that the campaign has been used as a parallel to zombies and that they've always blended history with fiction. The OG crew features characters from the 4 major powers of WWII, Group 935 is based off of the real life experiments that the Nazis were doing at the time. In BO1 you've got a map that features 4 major political figures of the Cold War on "Five", hell, you interact with 3 of them in the campaign (Kennedy, MacNamara, Castro). Then on Ascension, you're in The Soviet Union at a space station. The Soviets along with the Americans squared off in the space race during the Cold War, plus like Verrukt, the map itself is based off of one of the missions from the campaign. As for black ops 2, the links are just as abundant and simple. Great Leap Forward is an allusion to the period in China where they attempted rapid economic expansion, in the campaign you go there twice. Resolution 1295 has to do with Angola, which is featured in the games first mission. And yes, the town is of the old American west, but the above ground is Africa and that is the link.

As for borrowing textures and the Nazi zombies being unique? In Nacht, you play as nameless marines that are just character models from the campaign. The zombies in Nacht, Verukkt and Der Riese all have uniforms from the campaign, so not that unique. Even the zombies from Shi No Numa are wearing the Japanese uniforms from the campaign. The first person models from WaW and BO1 are also first person models the campaign, with Five, COTD and Moon being the exceptions.

What made "Nazi Zombies" stand out is like you said, it hadn't really been done all that much. Especially not as the basis for a video game mode. Plus it got a lot of its mystique from its namesake. What's worse than having to fight Nazis? If those Nazis are zombies. But as I alluded to in my previous post, having them be Nazis beyond WaW just wouldn't make much sense. With the campaigns set in the Col War era, Nazis just are relevant to the setting anymore. Sure, Kino was in BO1, but as we all know, it was supposed to be DLC for WaW. Even then, the story explains that they've travelled forward in time to Kino, that way it makes sense for it to be in BO1.

I thought they got rid of the whole "Nazi" concept because of ESRB ratings and because it was offensive. Yet I don't get why that got nixed but there are other games out there with things like pentagrams and rape incorporated.

I was talking more about Black Ops than World at War but I get what you're saying.

TAMB, I like the idea of at least bringing them back for the last map or something along those lines. The whole "let it end where it began" concept definitely would be a nice touch.

I don't understand how the concept of Nazi zombies would ever be considered offensive. I think people are just overly sensitive and it ends up ruining things for everyone. People think Nazi and they freak, I don't understand it. After all, like you said, Satanic imagery and rape is okay but Nazis is where we draw the line?

I thought they got rid of the whole "Nazi" concept because of ESRB ratings and because it was offensive. Yet I don't get why that got nixed but there are other games out there with things like pentagrams and rape incorporated.

Ummm...pentagrams are not bad my friends.They symbolize the elments.Even inverted they are not evil unless deemed so by the user.Trust me friends. :)

You just have to watch what you do in games now a days, all entertainment for that fact. I know that the band KISS, cannot use their typical "SS" in their banners at concerts in Germany because they resemble the Nazi SS, they have to use regular S's in their name while in that country.

You just have to watch what you do in games now a days, all entertainment for that fact. I know that the band KISS, cannot use their typical "SS" in their banners at concerts in Germany because they resemble the Nazi SS, they have to use regular S's in their name while in that country.

Yes,well, my point was pentagrams are a religious/spiritual symbol and should not need to be censored ;) :)

Yes,well, my point was pentagrams are a religious/spiritual symbol and should not need to be censored ;):)

I wasn't speaking to just you, just a fact I thought I would throw out there, I have a specific client who is in the Army, his wife is from Germany and he brings her in and she told me all about how COD was viewed and the thing about KISS.

The Pentagram, as well as the Swastika were originally spiritual, or peaceful symbols that were turned into what they are commonly perceived as. There is nothing wrong with these symbols, but when you are selling something, you have to keep in mind that the general public are not so educated, and the others that have to cause an uproar over silly things like game violence.

The town I used to live in, almost got DOOM pulled off the shelf when I was a kid. Just a group of old ass ladies mad that their kids were "killing" on a video game. A game that helped shape a genre was almost removed because of the general public and their lack of education.

I never saw anything wrong with killing Nazis, it's not like it's a game about being a Nazi...especially if they are already dead right? :lol:

I do miss the "Nazi Zombie" aspect of zombies, put i'm also glad that they pulled away from it as well. By pushing away the whole Nazi aspect, I think that they've opened up so many new possibilities for where the story can go. The Nazis were the base of the story back in WaW, so it's not like they're going to completely take it away. I mean we still have Maxis and Richtofen, don't we? :D

I too miss the NAZI bit of it... But you know what I miss more?

Every map having some kind of relation to 935 or some subgroup of that... Or something.... Tranzit was OK because it was the hanford site which is an american run gov. facility... Mob of the dead as well, they could't of had a better place to hold the first "Hell" map..... But Die rise... There's no story there... NOTHING its literally a tower... THATS IT.... No hidden secrets or anything.... Buried's backstory exists but I honestly couldn't care for it.... I want to hear more about Maxis and richtofen's origins, or WHERE is Tank Nikolai Takeo and RictoSam...

I also miss the radios telling an amazing story about the backstory of the map... Not these stupid T.v.s with different stories about other survivors....

I don't think we will be getting that aspect back in this game... We can only hope for the future.....

I miss the Nazi's too. They seemed much more sinister than the "Civilian" zombies we have.

Especially in WAW Verruckt.

But anyway, as Mocking put, the radios we're kinda interesting and put out a lot of info towards the storyline and made plenty of theories.

IMO, Zombie's story is getting too "OOC" as so many things still don't add up.

What effect, if any, did Mob of the Dead have on the story?

Why did Samuel's "Die Rise" voices stop?

Where are the O4?

Who are these other survivors?

Which ending is canon?

I know if it was WAW/BO1, We'd probably have some kind of in level EE to those questions.

Like in COTD, we knew why we weren't the O4.