Buried Achievement Analysis: The Truth About Maxis (Theory)

Naitrax

Buried Achievement Analysis: The Truth About Maxis

Hello good members of CoDz Forum! It is I, Naitrax here with a theory regarding the new Zombies map, Buried (releasing as part of the Vengeance DLC for Black Ops 2, along with 4 Multiplayer maps and the new Zombies weapon, the Ray Gun Mark II. More info on how you can get this DLC can be found here: http://www.callofduty.com/blackops2/dlc/dlc3-vengeance)

This theory has to do with the set of achievements given to us by Treyarch, over on the PS3. You can find all the achievements and a discussion thread right here, made by our very own Rissole25: http://www.callofdutyzombies.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=152&t=33002

This theory focuses on two achievements, and their purposes (currently unknown to us).

"Revisionist Historian" and "When the Revolution Comes" both sound like important achievements, right? What if we get Mined Games for completing the Easter Egg in general, but we get either of these depending on who's side we choose? Revisionist Historian's description is:

In Buried, rewrite history.

What could this mean, side wise?

Well, this one seems like it could be referring to Richtofen's ability to send people back in time. We may get this achievement by following Richtofen in the Easter Egg.

More evidence to suggest this is the description of When the Revolution Comes:

In Buried, return to processing.

There is one main reason I believe this one to be Maxis':

The word processing.

Now why do I think this? Let us do a Google Search for the word "processing"

Here are the top few results:

I check the Wikipedia link. It is about a program. Lets try... maybe computer processing?

A few more relevant links. I think I will look at two of them:

The Wikipedia link on Data Processing:

Data processing is "a sequence of operations performed on data, especially by a computer, in order to extract information, reorder files, etc."

And the Wikipedia link on Process (computing):

In computing, a process is an instance of a computer program that is being executed. It contains the program code and its current activity. Depending on the operating system (OS), a process may be made up of multiple threads of execution that execute instructions concurrently.

A computer program is a passive collection of instructions; a process is the actual execution of those instructions. Several processes may be associated with the same program; for example, opening up several instances of the same program often means more than one process is being executed.

Hmm... Doesn't the second one seem familiar? I'll show you this one more time:

Depending on the operating system (OS), a process may be made up of multiple threads of execution that execute instructions concurrently.

A computer program is a passive collection of instructions; a process is the actual execution of those instructions.

Wait a second... Isn't Maxis a computer program? That's right. Maxis is a computer program. He is the passive collection of instructions, unable to execute them. That is where we come in. We are the process. We follow the instructions of Maxis.

What relevance does this have to the achievement? Well, if we are to return to processing, this would mean that we choose Maxis over Richtofen. We are returning to our Computer Program, after executing our operations, therefore creating the revolution Maxis needs to overthrow Richtofen and execute his master plan of controlling the undead plague.

Anyway members, I hope you enjoyed reading this theory, and make sure to leave a reply as to why you liked it, or why you didn't. All feedback is welcome, and will not be ignored.

I have been Naitrax, goodnight/morning/evening/afternoon CoDz Forum.

Note: How did you like the font?

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrators

Hmmm, separate Achievements to which side we choose in this Side Mission? Sounds like a very nice plan. If this is the case, then could revising history very well mean that what we did in Mob of the Dead through breaking the cycle is actually pertaining to what he wants us to do? This a very interesting analysis. Kudos, friendo!

Hmmm, separate Achievements to which side we choose in this Side Mission? Sounds like a very nice plan. If this is the case, then could revising history very well mean that what we did in Mob of the Dead through breaking the cycle is actually pertaining to what he wants us to do? This a very interesting analysis. Kudos, friendo!

Thanks dude! I really think I'm on to something here. This would be our N4's penultimate map, deciding their fate.

I believe that the names for the map packs in fact do relate to zombies because the map pack names - Revolution, Uprising, Vengeance, etc? - all revolve around the theme of change & revenge. It is shown in the Buried achievements that the Easter Egg involves this very same revolution/revenge - i.e. Richtofen/Maxis.

Achievements: Revisionist Historian & When the Revolution Comes

I think we'll get the Mined Games achievement from starting the EE a la No One Escapes Alive from MOTD. Continuing from the trend of dlc names, what comes after Vengeance? What would both Richtofen and Maxis do/have as their end game? What would we call the point in time after their Vengeance - where they get what they want?

We'll probably be able to do both sides, but I think having either all Richtofen or all Maxis done across all maps might unlock something extra - either an achievement or another side quest.

I believe that the names for the map packs in fact do relate to zombies because the map pack names - Revolution, Uprising, Vengeance, etc? - all revolve around the theme of change & revenge. It is shown in the Buried achievements that the Easter Egg involves this very same revolution/revenge - i.e. Richtofen/Maxis.

Achievements: Revisionist Historian & When the Revolution Comes

I think we'll get the Mined Games achievement from starting the EE a la No One Escapes Alive from MOTD. Continuing from the trend of dlc names, what comes after Vengeance? What would both Richtofen and Maxis do/have as their end game? What would we call the point in time after their Vengeance - where they get what they want?

We'll probably be able to do both sides, but I think having either all Richtofen or all Maxis done across all maps might unlock something extra - either an achievement or another side quest.

Those are some great ideas! I can see where you are coming from, but I think that Mined Games will be a proper EE achievement, due mainly to the fact it actually says "Be their Pawn" or do their bidding.

Good theory, but Buried doesn't look like a place where computers are found.

Then again, it's zombies so anything can and will happen.

I guess, but we have our N4 back now. I think we will be continuing the Maxis/Richtofen story arc, and therefore something will contain Maxis...

"In Buried, return to processing." When I think about that, I believe we'll have to return to one area of the map that may be different than before after doing the main Easter Egg? Kind of like Area 51 after the rockets explode....

Hmm... That never crossed my mind. Thats a really good point.

About the achievement Mined Games, I think I'm onto something :D , or maybe not :( . In Buried be their pawns. Pawns, they're useless, maybe when the N4 is done everything Maxis or Richtofen has no use for them so they could just end them. Possibly trick them into their own demise, a mined game. Could they kill the N4 through a tunnel collapse? It would make sense that the O4 would be in the last map to end it with a bang.

Just a Thought, I'm new here 8-)

About the achievement Mined Games, I think I'm onto something :D , or maybe not :( . In Buried be their pawns. Pawns, they're useless, maybe when the N4 is done everything Maxis or Richtofen has no use for them so they could just end them. Possibly trick them into their own demise, a mined game. Could they kill the N4 through a tunnel collapse? It would make sense that the O4 would be in the last map to end it with a bang.

Just a Thought, I'm new here 8-)

First of all, WELCOME TO THE FORUMS! It's great to see new faces around here! You should make an introduction over in the Introduction Forum, found on the Site Index (main page) or by clicking here. If you have any questions or queries about the site or zombies in general, do not hesitate to PM (Private Message) any of our helpful members (indicated by a white name) or Staff (who are indicated by a green or red name)! I hope you enjoy your stay here!

Hmm... Thats a valid theory. Maxis/Richtofen most likely will not have any more use for us once we have fulfilled their agenda... This could be what is meant by the ghoulish voice from the first trailer telling us:

You, will, stay, here, FOREVER

So fall all the easter egg achievements refer to doing what Richtofen/Maxis want and this one is no different.

Tower of Babble - obey the Voices.

High Maintenance - be the architect of their instruction.

Mined Games - be their pawn.

As for how direct this achievement is when compared with the others leads me to believe Richtofen & Maxis' true intentions may become clear thus playing into the mind games pun, seeing as so far Maxis is getting the survivors to do his bidding by promising to "reverse the damage" and Richtofen is getting the survivors to do what he wants by blackmailing Stulinger.

so im really excited to see how the story turns out with this map.

Electronic Processing? Hmm, I never thought of that relation to Maxis. Nice idea Nai.

I do like the idea of a "No Man's Land area. Lots of people would like that. 

My first thought of 'Return to Processing' (being that we are in a mining town) is a mineral processing area. 

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mineral_processing

Couple this with the idea of a No Man's Land area, perhaps this is the starting/spawning point of the map. Maybe this has conveyor belts that are the escape mechanism to the main map? This would be a cool way to enter underground?

I've been thinking that the hint on the Die Rise loading screen is a 'Coin Press' or something similar. Something like this. 

Electronic Processing? Hmm, I never thought of that relation to Maxis. Nice idea Nai.

I do like the idea of a "No Man's Land area. Lots of people would like that. 

My first thought of 'Return to Processing' (being that we are in a mining town) is a mineral processing area. 

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mineral_processing

Couple this with the idea of a No Man's Land area, perhaps this is the starting/spawning point of the map. Maybe this has conveyor belts that are the escape mechanism to the main map? This would be a cool way to enter underground?

I've been thinking that the hint on the Die Rise loading screen is a 'Coin Press' or something similar. Something like this. 

Thanks dude! To be honest, it wasn't my first thought. Mineral processing (ore processing) was. I just read over some other people's theories and came up with this one.

Thats quite interesting. I really like the idea of the spawn being hard to access once we leave, similar to Die Rise...

I was just thinking about this could be the end of the Quest for Maxis/Richtofen and the N4 and I stumbled on your post while checking if it was already mentioned (and what a great post it is BTW :))

Whilst I think that this could be the last step for the N4 in relation to Maxis/Richtofen's plan, I don't think they will kill them off. Why? Because we've still not got a Tranzit Navcard. In theory, wouldn't Killing them off here mean that in the timeline, they can't return to Green Run and enter the last Nav Card into the machine under the pylon to do what ever linking them all up does?

Thoughts?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't David Vonderhaar suggest in a tweet (that was quickly removed upon published) that the players could determine the fates of our N4? My theory is that, as our characters are being referred to as pawns to Maxis and Richtofen, which usually refers to being useless and only essential in furthering a major plot, perhaps will our characters be "offed" by Richtofen upon completion of the last tower? Think about it: Stuhlinger is slowly becoming infected due to his contact with 115, and and blood stains are already lining his face- perhaps we could see something similar to MotD's endgame here? Once we complete Richtofen's tower, he disposes of us by allowing Stuhlinger to be fully infected, thus causing him to attack the other three as a zombie (much like in Turned) while in turn the others must kill him? The same could happen for Maxis: Richtofen is enraged at their betrayal to his plans and does the same thing? It's just a theory, of course, but I feel as though it would be the perfect way to bring in the O4.

Correct me if I am wrong, but in the Die Rise ee maxis took over russmans body in the buddah room? if so could return to processing mean something along the lines of maxis leaving russmans body and possibly a new entity entering it??

There isn't any mentioning of Maxis taking control of Russman in Die Rise. There is no such quote and no evidence pointing to that.

You may want to check back on that one...