Shall I spoil myself?

Tom852

Hey there

I'm one of those guys that isn't playing on XBOX.

Once Die Rise was released on PC, I didn't have any clue about the map. I hadn't seen a vid about besides the official trailers, I hadn't read any forum article about it, not a single discussion was followed. I didn't even know the AK-47 was in, just nothing.

I felt really surprising by seeing all of this, seeing the Death Machine as a box gun and everything, but the surprise wasn't different than when I would have read a forum article about "Death Machine is now box gun". The surprise factor is kinda the same for me.

What I noticed was, I was not really excited about the map. There was nothing I wanted to see urgently, cause I didn't know what was there to check out.

I was more excited, when I knew that I could try the new death machine, the new AK-47, whatever. If I know that xy is in the new map, I wanna see it, wanna try it asap, and am really excited about having that gun or whatever in my own hand.

But if I don't know anything, it was was just like "hmm yeah let's see what's in the map, but can wait until tomorrow to play it first time". If I knew that there was the AK-47 in MOTD, I couldn't have waited even a second to check it.

I'm personally thinking I spoil myself this time again, but I feel like I would loose some experience. Don't know why, but it feels like I would loose something. But what would I loose? As said, the surprise is somewhat the same reading "bank is back" and playing Buried in a month the first time to notice that the bank is back.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First off, Tom, you are awesome. I've always had this problem with the new maps and with games in general.

Do you look up in the info to know what to look for, or is it more fun to make every discovery yourself?

I generally intend to not look up stuff during the first week, but I always break down and do it a few days into the new map. For me it is just as fun to"discover" these things with "assistance" because things like the Hell's Redeemer, Golden Spork, or maybe even the Hell's Retriever, I wouldnt have figured out purely on my own in MotD. Let alone things meant to be hidden like the EEs.

However you're much more skilled than I, so perhaps you'd have better luck on your own.

I understand you completely. But what you have to realize is that none of us can get really excited about Buried when we haven't seen much from it. Mob of the Dead had its own trailer, coverage and gameplay videos up before the map even came available to us. That's how people got excited about that map, yet most of the people I know eventually said that they dislike Mob of the Dead after playing it.

The Zombies team know how to keep things a mystery, they don't show any more footage than 30 seconds when revealing their new creation. We caught a glimpse of the new ray gun, ghosts, and a Hillybilly that will supposedly help you out. That doesn't sound appealing at all...

But I know there's gonna be a lot more to it, they just don't wanna show it yet. The achievements hint out some crazy stuff like being able to pack-a-punch at Round 1, getting the LSAT off the wall and more. I know that I will have a fun time discovering all of these things, even if the map does look boring. (being underground and all...)

My point is that you can't tell if it's gonna be any good unless you've played it, or you've seen the entire map and all its secrets. It just sucks to be a PS3 user because you'll spoil all those things for yourself once people start to make videos about it...

When you spoil something, you get a brief moment of excitement in exchange for one of the most exhilarating games of Zombies. It's your choice. It's good to balance it. That's why we have trailers. When the new Pokemon games came out in Japan, I didn't look up the Japanese version info to find out everything I could. I waited patiently so that I could be surprised a hundred-fold when I play it the first time. Spoiling is just succumbing to hype. It shows materialism, as in, you are only motivated to play it because it has this or that. Whereas waiting patiently shows you will love the map regardless, and you want to be surprised to see what it can offer you.

Balance is good, I come here and read things because it's all sanctioned and most people are good about letting you know they're fixing to spoil something before they type it.

Some people like to be the first of their friends to give out all the info, some people enjoy the experience of not knowing anything. Besides, I've never seen a leak or anything that wasn't a fake, I'm sure there have been a few but I don't look for them normally. I like to start my first game with all the knowledge that trailers and the forum community have given me, but map exploration and finding all the small Easter eggs are what I enjoy doing alone or with my friends, unless I can't figure it out I won't look at guides.

• Administrators

If you really can't contain yourself, then you can do whatever you so please. To me, looking at something before I get my hands on it excites me more. Am I going to go the extra step if it's far from my reach? No, because I'd very much just wait until I am capable of doing so. I did that for Nuketown Zombies. I saw many videos about it, and was very eager to get ahold of it. Once I did, I was still as astounded as a little kid discovering magic for the first time.

Tl;dr: Viewing is much more different than experiencing it hands-on. It's your willpower that is the only obstacle in the end.