JZ discusses the RG Mark 2

Jimmy Zielinski on the Ray Gun Mark II

With the upcoming Call of Duty®: Black Ops II Vengeance DLC Map Pack launching on Xbox® 360 this Tuesday, July 2nd, we tracked down Treyarch’s Zombies Design Lead Jimmy Zielinski to talk about the introduction of the Ray Gun Mark II. The Mark II makes its debut in Buried, the new Zombies experience for Vengeance, and from what Jimmy tells us, you’re going to want to get your hands on it.

Tell us about the Ray Gun Mark II.

It’s a re-imagining of the original Ray Gun with new functionality. We looked at what the original Ray Gun did, which was an explosive projectile weapon. We decided to make a real laser beam gun that goes through everything, and that’s what we did.

The original Ray Gun would shoot a projectile and make an impact at that place and explode. The Mark II is actually a laser beam, or bolt, that does a triple burst and fires down range through walls or zombies. If the wall’s not too thick like cement, it’s going to pass through – and effectively hit – as many zombies as you have lined up. It’s in the box and you have a chance to pull it. It’s also been added to all the previous Call of Duty: Black Ops II Zombies maps.

How did you settle on the final design of the Mark II?

The original designer of the art for the first Ray Gun, Max Porter, also made this design. It still bears his name. We just kind of talked about it and he just went away and did the art.

It’s cobbled together with parts of the original Ray Gun, plus some new bits. It’s an original creation that really harkens back to the old design, and it can be Pack-A-Punched just like the other weapons.

Buried is included in the Vengeance DLC Map Pack for Call of Duty®: Black Ops II. Vengeance will be available on the Xbox LIVE® Marketplace on Tuesday, July 2nd, with other platforms to follow. You can also purchase it at a discounted price as part of the Call of Duty: Black Ops II DLC Season Pass.

This was an interview on the CoD Elite website. Two things to note:

- It can shoot through weak barriers, such as wood, thin walls, etc.

- It was designed by Max Porter, designer of the original Ray Gun, the Wave Gun and the Zap Guns. Hence the Porters X2 in the name.

Just some nice info :)

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I am hoping that this newer modified Ray Gun is going to be enough to trigger a big Easter egg on NTZ. Maybe use it to shoot the power plant outside one of the gardens? Or those buildings in the distance. I have been waiting out hoping that somehow we get a new powerful weapon released for all BO2 maps so i can continue my NTZ EE hunt. The old UN-packed Ray Gun for me seemed to do something significant but just didn't feel powerful enough. Who knows? but gonna be fun finding out.

Thanks OP for the info!