When do you think Moon/Nuketown occurs? (Poll)

Most people believe that the events occur during the 1960's (provided by Tac)

Others believe it occurs in the future (provided by Stop mocking me0)

I personally believe that it occurs during the 1960's

Let me know when you think it happens.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes but you can't ignore that Nuketown, the MP map, occurs in 1960s. When the CIA and CDC are at Nuketown in zombies, the mushroom cloud is still there from the nuke's explosion that occurs in the MP map. And we know that the missle hits Nuketown while they are investigating this at the same time. We also know the events of Moon happen while they are there. So it has to be in the 60s, unless you want to say that the MP map Nuketown occurred in the 90s or 2000s, which I don't think is the case.

Two explanations I find for the poster:

1. The devs are lazy and don't think about half of what they do. They just put stuff in to confuse people.

2. Like in MotD, the buildings could have been brought there from a time rift like the perk machines.

well i believe that this isn't true i believe that space-time is melding together because a break in the rift and thats why the past events of moon and stuff are still effecting the future untill we fix the broken link in the chain of the rift.

Most people believe that the events occur during the 1960's (provided by Tac)

Others believe it occurs in the future (provided by Stop mocking me0)

I personally believe that it occurs during the 1960's

Let me know when you think it happens.

This is a biased poll. You just told everyone how to vote. Everyone, vote for the '60's because "most" people do. Bah. I would argue most people know it to be in the future.

Yes but you can't ignore that Nuketown, the MP map, occurs in 1960s. When the CIA and CDC are at Nuketown in zombies, the mushroom cloud is still there from the nuke's explosion that occurs in the MP map. And we know that the missle hits Nuketown while they are investigating this at the same time. We also know the events of Moon happen while they are there. So it has to be in the 60s, unless you want to say that the MP map Nuketown occurred in the 90s or 2000s, which I don't think is the case.

1. The devs are lazy and don't think about half of what they do. They just put stuff in to confuse people.

2. Like in MotD, the buildings could have been brought there from a time rift like the perk machines.

Or they could have just rebuilt nuketown and redone the bomb in the 1900-2000s.... Heck, who's to say nuketown from BO1 didn't happen in the 90s-100.... Or purhaps it's just a super weird cloud that never goes away and that's why they sent in the CDC and CIA to investigate...

The devi are lazy, but they're not that lazy,,, They had to add that poster in, and they know that something big and obvious as a "sense 1996" writin in English despite the rest is in Chinese, would either have to be replaced, or edited... They could have easily just put in a different picture, heck that might have been easier then the one that's there...

Also MOTD might not even contain a time rift.... Think about it: How long have they been repeating the same day? A week? A month? How about 90-100 years? Very possible, the perks may not be slipping in through a time rift, but rather a space rift... Traveling to the hell domain from the real world.... Aside from EC.... The map may take place even after die rise... Nobody is there to change anything.., just those four, brutus, and the zombies.... The bridge would never build its self... The fireworks would never stop... Time is traveling arround them... Not with them... Possibly...

this is the problem with having one game set in the 60's-80's in the cold war and then the next game take place in the near future. While it works for the single player story, zombies has some disconnect where they have to take some liberties. doesn't really make sense that a sky scraper destroyed in the 60's even still standing in 2025. but the new crew is supposedly from that time.

what i'm concluding here is that Moon did still occur in the 60's like we believed prior to BO2, and there are some fallacies with the time frames to make the near future setting of BO2 work

This is a biased poll. You just told everyone how to vote. Everyone, vote for the '60's because "most" people do. Bah. I would argue most people know it to be in the future.

Okay first of all, I just want to see what others think Moon/Nuketown occurred. That's the point of this poll, to see what they believe in. I didn't say "vote for 60's" I said "I personally believe that it occurs during the 1960's" because that's my opinion.

most people know it to be in the future.

And there you go contradicting you're self on what you just said.

• Administrators

People really don't like regarding the fact that Nuketown/Moon happened directly prior to Green Run, huh? You can look at both sides and agree that it may be set in the 60's because of the Multiplayer map, but then you could also say that it took place in the future because of Green Run and Moon happening in the future as well.

Personally, I'm an advocate of the present/future setting but I too have to keep my mind open to every possibility. We know that the dropped bomb cleared out the existing American/Soviet forces there, but do we exactly know from what definite time the radiation scientists come in? All we know is that it happened after the bomb wrecked havoc on Nuketown, but before the Moon missiles were launched.

The mushroom cloud would not have lingered for more than a day (even though it should be visible for up to around an hour according to nuclear physics). It just doesn't add up how a mushroom cloud can stay up long enough for the radiation scientists to come in after the forces were obliterated and still withstand as we see the CIA/CDC come in. That would mean Green Run had to take place within that set time, and then teleport (thanks to Richtofen) through time and into Great Leap Forward.

People really don't like regarding the fact that Nuketown/Moon happened directly prior to Green Run, huh? You can look at both sides and agree that it may be set in the 60's because of the Multiplayer map, but then you could also say that it took place in the future because of Green Run and Moon happening in the future as well.

Personally, I'm an advocate of the present/future setting but I too have to keep my mind open to every possibility. We know that the dropped bomb cleared out the existing American/Soviet forces there, but do we exactly know from what definite time the radiation scientists come in? All we know is that it happened after the bomb wrecked havoc on Nuketown, but before the Moon missiles were launched.

The mushroom cloud would not have lingered for more than a day (even though it should be visible for up to around an hour according to nuclear physics). It just doesn't add up how a mushroom cloud can stay up long enough for the radiation scientists to come in after the forces were obliterated and still withstand as we see the CIA/CDC come in. That would mean Green Run had to take place within that set time, and then teleport (thanks to Richtofen) through time and into Great Leap Forward.

^ This. is. beautiful.

Although I did say "I personally believe it occurs during the 60's" that's only because of things that are in game that show it occurred during that time period.

Now, I am willing to hear other theories that it occurred in a future time period. This thread's point was for me to hear what your believes are.

As much as I am an advocate on it occurring in the 60's, there are, indeed, things in-game show that its in the future.

BUT

Does anyone remember Nuketown's level description?

Mass-energy equivalence, secret tests, crash-landing perks. Survive in the iconic Nuketown, where the past and the future come together.

As previous people have stated here on the thread, theres a time and/or space rift going on.

This is why a leading theory as to the origination of the mushroom cloud is not a nuclear weapon but rather a nuclear spacecraft, the same one detailed in the Nuketown loading screen. This would explain its longevity. Also, it would mean that Nuketown is just unfortunate, being "nuked" three individual times.

And Infest, you overlooked one thing: the entire world was nuked at the same time. It wasn't half-nuked in the '60's and half-nuked in the future. So, time travel will not make any loopholes. You can either say Green Run and Nuketown were bombed after they were built or that Great Leap Forward was bombed... before it was built, which of course makes no sense.

• Administrators

Ah, I totally forgot about the spacecraft with the large laser mechanism. That makes perfect sense then how it could be an alternative approach. Thanks, friendo. ;)

I'm not quite positive where you get three nukes from. You have Nuketown's bomb, [the spacecraft], and the three Moon missiles?

Ah, I totally forgot about the spacecraft with the large laser mechanism. That makes perfect sense then how it could be an alternative approach. Thanks, friendo. ;)

I'm not quite positive where you get three nukes from. You have Nuketown's bomb, [the spacecraft], and the three Moon missiles?

No problem. The nuke dropped on Nuketown. The nuclear spacecraft we see before we play. And the missiles that hit after we play.

• Administrators

Ah, okay then. Once we assume that the aircraft is responsible for the mushroom cloud, it comes to seeing when that event actually happens. Would you say that if we presume Nuketown Zombies and Moon to be happening in the future, that the aircraft created the crater and any external destruction, say, perhaps a few decades after Nuketown was first demolished? The explosion done by the mechanism could have very well created the zombies there, and the result of such an event happening would cause the CIA and CDC to investigate.

Ah, okay then. Once we assume that the aircraft is responsible for the mushroom cloud, it comes to seeing when that event actually happens. Would you say that if we presume Nuketown Zombies and Moon to be happening in the future, that the aircraft created the crater and any external destruction, say, perhaps a few decades after Nuketown was first demolished? The explosion done by the mechanism could have very well created the zombies there, and the result of such an event happening would cause the CIA and CDC to investigate.

I believe so, yes.

question. :?:

can anyone explain the whole marlton in the bunker thing? his quotes are the ones from TranZit (Green Run) and you can hear the bus honking..is this how the N4 started meeting up?

My explanation of that is that Marlton was a child protege. His quotes indicate that he was likely one of the radiation scientists that went to Nuketown. He even had his own laboratory. Marlton took shelter in the bunker and leaves after the missiles hit the Earth, and that would be why he survives the "end of the world". The Bus Driver is near enough to hear his horn but far enough to avoid destruction. He gets on the Bus and later meets the other three. Since Maxis says that Green Run takes place a minimum of 20 years after the end of the world, this means Marlton should have aged 20 years. If he was a child protege in his teens at Nuketown, he would be in his 30's, now. If he had already passed puberty, then his voice would not have changed much.

Also, I think Misty was next. And that they got... acquainted... After that Samuel and Russman joined (despite their apparent reluctance), as they talk about an event "Broken Arrow" that they both experienced.

Were does maxis say its been 20 years?

My best idea, (now I'm reminded of the spacecraft) is this:

Nuke goes off in 1960... Radiation covers the land... No 115....

Then there's a plane that goes slightly off course, in 2028 or so, carrying 115 and nuclear materials, possibly in the form of perks, as they fall from the cloud (imagine if the whole nuke was just one big PDH-Flopp! :lol: ),

(for some reason, maybe to be used at the handford sight).... The 115 crashes the plane and sets off the nuclear material.... Causing zombies to rise... As a black box signal is set out, the CDC, and CIA appear to investigate the area, marelton fallows because he has been hired to work with zombies for trying to report zombies to the higher ups (who already know, but just want him to die, or change, to keep their secret safe)...

Then the real nukes hit, take out most of the earth, and very few things survive... One being marelton who took shelter in the bunker to hide from the zombies.... Then as a black-box signal type thing, a certain bus arrived to take the materials to the hanford sight... Taking this bus as a way out, he fixes it (kind of) and then travels arround the us on it's origional guided system.... Until he meets stulinger, misty, and russman... Then when the bus finishes it's trip... They enter tranzit where richtofen makes a deal with stulinger: I'll keep you alive if you do as I say... Then the four, for some reason, wind up standing in the hanford sight's bus depot.... With nothing but two grenades, a trusty knife, and a M1911 pistol....

Or at least that's what I think happened...

ok MMX, thankx for clearing that up for me, intresting tho..Maxis has been waitin for yeaars since the "Moon" incident, so the O4 should be alil older too right?

We haven't heard from Tank, Nikolai, Takeo, nor Samantha since Moon. There's no telling what became of them. But if they didn't die and didn't time travel, then yes, it would mean that they are older.

Were does maxis say its been 20 years?

The word decades means a minimum of 10x2, or 20 years. It can't mean much more because then it makes Marlton's ordeal impossible.

I know that Die Rise, and that damn 1996 poster suggests that the events of Moon do infact take place sometime after 96, but I couldn't help but feel that the Maxis quote you are referring to all but confirmed that it was the 60's when the Moon Rockets fell to Earth.

The reason why is that Green Run appears to be set in a Town that is clearly themed on being from the 60's. Now, if the nukes dropped in the 60's and Maxis has since then been searching for decades, then that would put our N4 in a possible present day scenario. It made sense when I first heard the quote, and made me originally think that this was clear confirmation that Moon definitely took place in the 60's! Well, this and the quote from CotD where Richtofen said they had went too far into the future.

Now though, since I have been reading what you believe to be the real turn of events, it has me rethinking the whole storyline now!

Are you just overthinking it, or am I underthinking it!?

I think the latter is the obvious answer. :)

Well i think we can assume that Moon / Nuketown take place very shortly before Green Run, because in Green Run Richtofen says he's "just getting used to the aether" and hasn't fully mastered his announcer voice. So IMO Moon and Nuketown, as well as the BOII maps, take place in the present / future. There are a lot of anachronisms, but the alleged "rift" can explain most of them (with a bit of a stretch.)

The ENTIRE world was nuked at the SAME time. Green Run's '60's-looking buildings? Blown up. Great Leap Forward's skyscrapers? Blown up. Nuketown's nuked town? Blown up. Same time. Saaaaaaaame. Time. Great Leap Forward proves it had futuristic technology. Therefore, the time in which the world was nuked was the future. Green Run was just a ghost town.