Why so much HATE towards shotgun rank?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, that is not it. It has nothing to do with glitches. The ranking system encourage bad sportsmanship. So bad sports are typically at the highest rank.

explain. there is absolutely no proof to back up that claim.

revives count toward it, and kills and other stuff. i've never played with really any knife or shotgun rank that are just completely awful. they all have seemed to have a really good grasp on the game...

No, that is not it. It has nothing to do with glitches. The ranking system encourage bad sportsmanship. So bad sports are typically at the highest rank.

It does have something to do with glitches. bad sports are not bad players, just not the greatest helpers. I really think there should be a higher rank that is really for the elite players that always revive and get to the higher rounds. But then again people would glitch for it by glitching for high rounds and having their buddy that doesn't care go down time and time again to get revives.

To get shotguns, you must satisfy a complicated formula that is not completely understood. The formula relies primarily on a kill/death ratio. Thus, players who want to get to higher ranks must be picky about who the play with so they don't have to go after them much and risk dying. They end up backing out of games to avoid going down. They don't take risks and choose to save themselves and let the rest of the team die. (This usually backfires.)

No proof? If I had a video recorder playing on random for 24 hours, that'd be my proof. Until that day, which will be never because I won't waste my own time, you're going to have to believe me and others who have seen this time and time again. Or you can be stubborn. Either way. Also, keep in mind that this is a general statement. There are exceptions for everything, including this.

To get shotguns, you must satisfy a complicated formula that is not completely understood. The formula relies primarily on a kill/death ratio. Thus, players who want to get to higher ranks must be picky about who the play with so they don't have to go after them much and risk dying. They end up backing out of games to avoid going down. They don't take risks and choose to save themselves and let the rest of the team die. (This usually backfires.)

No proof? If I had a video recorder playing on random for 24 hours, that'd be my proof. Until that day, which will be never because I won't waste my own time, you're going to have to believe me and others who have seen this time and time again. Or you can be stubborn. Either way. Also, keep in mind that this is a general statement. There are exceptions for everything, including this.

Very well said. Full Agreement.

Higher rank shows skill to survive however someone with higher rank does not necessarily need to be nice enough to go for revives. So that justifies bad team playing. However it depends on what you define team playing.

Sometimes it is smart to not revive people if you think it is not worth the risk.

What if you are trying to level up to x round and want to make sure you make it through the round or you are trying to go for Easter Egg or any achievement and need to make sure you stay alive.

I will give you a good example. InfestLithium, Flammenwerfer and I were playing Alcatraz Island to do the Easter Egg and I had no jugg as I was just revived and then Infest went down by tommy gun area near docks, I literally had no ammo and I tried buying tommy gun but it was too risky, I hoarded all the zombies and tried to get Lithium once but he went down right away, I hoarded zombies again and tried to revive him second time but It was very risky. So I let him bleed out and it was a smart move.

But if you are playing with randoms mostly without a goal, I would not have high hopes from anyone regardless of rank to risk their life to revive me specially if they are not in a good position themselves. However I had numerous occasions when a random player with Shotguns rank revive me compared to other ranked players.

If you are playing with friends and have good communication, it is easy enough to get people up while other players hoard up the zombies.

About the notion of K/D being the only factor to rank up is simply incorrect. Lots of my friends with skull have a higher K/D than me yet I somehow manage to keep my shotguns rank with my k/d gradually decreasing.

Always reviving,

way2g00

K/d 146

Higher rank shows skill to survive however someone with higher rank does not necessarily need to be nice enough to go for revives. So that justifies bad team playing. However it depends on what you define team playing.

Sometimes it is smart to not revive people if you think it is not worth the risk.

What if you are trying to level up to x round and want to make sure you make it through the round or you are trying to go for Easter Egg or any achievement and need to make sure you stay alive.

I will give you a good example. InfestLithium, Flammenwerfer and I were playing Alcatraz Island to do the Easter Egg and I had no jugg as I was just revived and then Infest went down by tommy gun area near docks, I literally had no ammo and I tried buying tommy gun but it was too risky, I hoarded all the zombies and tried to get Lithium once but he went down right away, I hoarded zombies again and tried to revive him second time but It was very risky. So I let him bleed out and it was a smart move.

But if you are playing with randoms mostly without a goal, I would not have high hopes from anyone regardless of rank to risk their life to revive me specially if they are not in a good position themselves. However I had numerous occasions when a random player with Shotguns rank revive me compared to other ranked players.

If you are playing with friends and have good communication, it is easy enough to get people up while other players hoard up the zombies.

About the notion of K/D being the only factor to rank up is simply incorrect. Lots of my friends with skull have a higher K/D than me yet I somehow manage to keep my shotguns rank with my k/d gradually decreasing.

Always reviving,

way2g00

K/d 146

well said, as K/d maybe has some to do with it, its definitely not the only thing. i was at an 85 k/d and still had just skull.... my k/d immediately after i got ranked up to dagger? 69. so there is definitely other stuff at stake.

the thing i disagree with MurderMachineX on is that the fact of someone leaving or choosing not to revive or not be a "team player" has nothing to do with their rank... there are going to be team players and non team players of all different ranks. i haven't played with enough shotgun ranks to really have much of a sample size, but i have had wayyyyy too many dagger rank players rage quit just because of going down once... its not because they are trying to save their rank by not going down any more... they just stink and are terrible people.

tl;dr rank and players behavior are mutually exclusive

Ok mmx, I agree that shotgun players may not be the best at reviving you 100% of the time, but so is regular players. I have had players that would come to me and die reviving me because there was no way for them to revive me. (This is a super rare occurence because I barely ever go down cus I am the best zombie player ever :roll: jk jk)

I also am pretty sure that every shotgun player out there tat got it totally legit is an above average player and can put up a fight in a normal grief game or survive to a decent round in their favorite map. ( I say that because I absolutely HATE town and because of that no matter what I can do, I can't get higher than 40 which is a decent round anyways)

PS mmx: I sent you a PM about ferguson.

When I enter a random lobby, I mostly either get told to back out because I'm obviously either a glitcher or I'm going to quit early (I don't use my mic with randoms so I suppose that doesn't help, but that has zero effect on my ability to help the team), or I get loads of friend requests, followed by game invites before even getting into a game.

The requests and invites are fine, I can ignore those and then add later if they play reasonably well and don't quit themselves. But unfortunatly I can see why they don't want me to join, most (at least 90%) of the shotgun players I find in public games are exactly like mmx describes, and there is nothing to distinguish me from them. I don't particularly want to rank down, but if it happens I don't care, it's only a game and I can always try and get them back with a few solo games anyway.

Lobby leaderboards would have maybe gone a partway to solve this problem, but we aren't ever getting them again.

I like how some of you like to forget that a lot of people play more Solo than Co-op, and that it's easier to get shotgun rank on Solo. Just because a shotgun player isn't a revive monster does not mean that they don't care about other players in the game.

Solo plays out a bit different than co-op. Some think Solo is a truer test of skill than co-op, and some think the opposite. Now where I'm going with this is that you can be amazing at zombies and have great stats and shotguns without being a team player. And with that, some shotgun players can't make it past 40 on Solo maps. Shotguns show skill unless glitching is involved either way. I have said this elsewhere too, but not all shotgun players are mean, and yes I do think most shotgun players have more skill at their favorite map or mode than the average player.

Shame that many are rude though. If you want to know whether they are truly good play with them and look at their stats. If they have over 100,000 kills than they are likely seasoned veterans.

I like how some of you like to forget that a lot of people play more Solo than Co-op, and that it's easier to get shotgun rank on Solo. Just because a shotgun player isn't a revive monster does not mean that they don't care about other players in the game.

Solo plays out a bit different than co-op. Some think Solo is a truer test of skill than co-op, and some think the opposite. Now where I'm going with this is that you can be amazing at zombies and have great stats and shotguns without being a team player. And with that, some shotgun players can't make it past 40 on Solo maps. Shotguns show skill unless glitching is involved either way. I have said this elsewhere too, but not all shotgun players are mean, and yes I do think most shotgun players have more skill at their favorite map or mode than the average player.

Shame that many are rude though. If you want to know whether they are truly good play with them and look at their stats. If they have over 100,000 kills than they are likely seasoned veterans.

And to extend on that, some shotgun players can't play coop. So when you see someone suck it up in a coop game, ask them how well they play solo. I for one couldn't play coop for the longest time in bo2. Then I started playing it almost everyday and its up to par compared to my solo game.

And to extend on that, some shotgun players can't play coop. So when you see someone suck it up in a coop game, ask them how well they play solo. I for one couldn't play coop for the longest time in bo2. Then I started playing it almost everyday and its up to par compared to my solo game.

how is it any different? same principles, only difference is you need communication... idgi :?

• Administrators

how is it any different? same principles, only difference is you need communication... idgi :?

There are external factors, such as people getting in your way, moving the Box (not in your favor), cluttering areas that you are holding out/training in, and the list goes on. Communication could easily fix that, yes. But bear in mind that not every player you meet will be up for being told what to do or where to go. You just have to maintain a slightly altered mindset is all; the game no longer revolves all around you in Co-op sessions.

@birdman

How is it different? Oh, gosh. Where do I begin? You do everything your way. You do all the work to set up your game your way at your pace. You open PaP on Tranzit by yourself. Camping is much harder. You control the flow of the game. You handle all the zombies, all the time. There is minimal forgiveness for any mistake. You can't have your partner save you when in a jam. Games are faster and can often go much longer than co-op.

Overall, imo Solo is the best way for you to test your skill because in the end it is all you. You can only go down 4 times a game other than in Mob. The principles are similar to co-op but trust me, being good at one is not the same as being good at the other.

I wish they would have just told us what the hell the criteria for the ranking system was when the game released to save a lot of hassle.

Playing a lot of solo is why I think I will never be more than a skull.

When the game first came out I played a LOT of Tranzit solo and with having quick revive available combined with all of the stupid fire and those damn Denizens, I accumulated so many downs(before realizing that the heart of the ranking system is based on K/D)while exploring the map that I would have to go 5000/1 like 100 times to even raise my k/d i9n the slightest.

Also, I play a lot of grief and those games that get to high rounds and keep restarting because everyone is broke and has no ammo for perks and stuff really hurt what is usually an already low K/D because of the game mode itself.

Yes.. exceptions like me. I got the shotguns rank, and I'll never be able to lose them because of my high k/d. (Around 300-400) I just make sure I get about 30.000 kills each 100 downs. That's easy stuff if you know how to play properly. Hell, I don't even play decently and still manage to get this done. I play Grief, get to high rounds, troll some kids and I'm having a good time. That's all that matters.

How is it different? Infest answered it for the most part, but I'm a little different.

When I played, I was kind of a kill whore. I would try to go to the fastest area of the map. But I was also polite. So I wouldn't call an area until everyone else did. So because of that I wouldn't get the good, fast area. So I would go to the insanely hard place. The key room in die rise and other stupid places. Another thing I would hate is that teammates didn't always have the BEST communication. For example in Die Rise we were all at the trample steam room. I was up front killing zombies when I got hit from behind. The other three players were all sitting back while I thought they were helping. SO examples of miscommunication hurt the game.

In the starting rounds its usually a courteous thing to say that you are overflowed with zombies when everybody is at a window. NOPE, I had a player have 7 zombies out his window all coming at my back and he didn't say a word about it even though he had been talking before.

So after I figured out that you still needed the self awareness of a solo game in coop, then I got better. I also need to learn how to wait when players need to hit the box every damn round.

And people that run into your train without saying anything can screw you up also.

I bet the main reason for all the hate is jealousy.

I don't think there is any connection between reviving skills and shotguns.

I ignore my own rank for quite a while now, and it's just a more relaxed play. Recently I did some video about downs and could kill myself 20x without worries. Restarting TranZit until the Hatch spawned at bus depot, getting 5x a Round 1 game on the account: no prob.

I bet the main reason for all the hate is jealousy.

I don't think there is any connection between reviving skills and shotguns.

I ignore my own rank for quite a while now, and it's just a more relaxed play. Recently I did some video about downs and could kill myself 20x without worries. Restarting TranZit until the Hatch spawned at bus depot, getting 5x a Round 1 game on the account: no prob.

It's not really anything to do with jealousy.... Well maybe for some, but not me...

I hate them because you walk into a match, look at your four most recent games in their most annoying manor, then laugh at you for having 0:02 second games that you were obviously disconnected from.... Then leave saying: Lol lets not play with this looser....

I couldn't give half a cracker about ranks... I judge you on your voice and weather or not your a five year old kid.... But I dont like being talked down upon...

• 1 year later...

Really hate to reply to an old post, not even sure if anyone will ever see this reply, but just now, and this is isnt the first time, I enter a grief lobby with my friend, im just looking for a game with anybody(I dont care about emblems or tallies or anything because they dont reflect skill) and this guy with a knife starts just trash talking me for no reason, saying "another little faggot who leaves when they go down" and claiming that I boot people offline to win simply because of my rank, which I really wish I could reset because I get so much hate for having the shotgun rank it isnt even funny. But heres the best part, I am completly legit player, never glitched or cheated, never even dashboared any game, not a single match in my life. And I also play with barebones on survival sometimes, yet for some reason this guy just would let off, and this is a regular thing. The point im trying to say here is this, if you are a zombie player, DONT SPREAD THE HATE, if you a shotgun player dont judge them by thier rank, judge them after you play them because as a shotgun rank myself i have played with so many new people, helped some of them rank up, and have had so many people that im the nicest shotgun theve ever met its just heart breaking when I get trash talked for my rank. So to anybody who reads this and still thinks that shotgun people are all cheaters and leave when they go down, play with me, I will prove to you that not all shotgun people are bad, even though I agree that some of them should be banned for being so rude in game. 

There are 2 types of shotgun players - legit and boosted.

The legit players make up I reckon less than 10% of the total shotguns out there.

The legit players are often as you describe above as they don't have anything to prove.  They understand that the odd down or 3 will not have any effect on their rank as they are so damn good.

Everyone goes down, and I mean everyone.

The boosted players make up the majority.

The boosted players need to keep boosting to keep their rank, simply because they aren't good enough to play normally and allow their skill to keep their rank.

The very few totally legit shotguns I know got their ranks from high rounding every BO map, and by high rounds I mean 100.

Even then, some of those guys lost their shotguns as soon as they started doing challenges.

I understand your point Terdy, but understand that there is a good reason that shotguns have a bad name.  That doesn't mean all, but when the majority are pretty arsey it's no surprise the reputation they can have.

ARGG its just so painfull, to never cheat or glitch, basically to never do anything that shotguns are known for, just for people to assume I am one of the others. But i am confused, you said 

The very few totally legit shotguns I know got their ranks from high rounding every BO map, and by high rounds I mean 100.

Even then, some of those guys lost their shotguns as soon as they started doing challenges.

but that doesnt make any sense, shotguns are easy to get, and very easy to keep if you just play. I think part of this hate comes from the vast misunderstanding that  people have towards how easy shotguns are to get. But at any rate, people need to stop hating so much, ive wanted to get my barebones again just to stop all the hate that people like you bring