Why so much HATE towards shotgun rank?

So today I got some time after a few days to actually play some zombies. Instead of finding decent ppl quickly I constantly ended up in lobby after lobby of shit talking skull ranks who seemed to have something against me due to my rank. It ranged from OHHHH look at this no lifer(coming from a skull rank with blue eyes myself having 2 tallies)in which I responded bro you have been playing this twice as much as me.Some odd reason he couldn't understand the rank isn't about playing everyday its about skill level for some reason he could not understand so I left. I would say about 60% of the lobbies I ended up in have something smart to say before I could speak into my mic would hear some stupidity like ohhh he's a hacker/glitcher(same thing was happening to me a few days ago as well)or smart ass remark. This is becoming a normal thing now little by little it usto happen once and a while but now it seems like 1/2 the ppl in lobbies have a grudge against anyone with a higher rank never get any grief some knife ranks it just seems to be skull ranks so felt the need to ask the question.. Why the hate?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Because it doesn't actually reflect your TRUE skill at zombies. At least in my opinion. Ever since perma Jug was introduced that killed all my chances at a shotgun rank. I don't even use it anymore but when it was discovered I liked to try it out. Perma Jug in a sense has less of a skill factor too. But the fact that I downed myself numerous times to try it out killed my chances of even getting a knife rank. I've been playing since WaW. I like to consider myself an expert in Zombies but ill never be off of the skull rank. It's bullshit really. The zombies ranking system is so flawed that I don't even try to rank up anymore. Half the time the people with skulls are better than the knife and shotgun ranked players anyways.

What I am trying to say is I did in no way provoke any of the trash talk. A persons rank doesn't really matter to me its someone who plays like they are on a team and not like its them vs the other 3players that matters. The only reason I ever feel the need to back out of a lobby is for a few good reasons young kids, split screen,no headset,talking about glitching while in the lobby, or intoxicated person who is in no way gonna help the team.I just haven't enjoyed my last few times searching for a team of randoms and having to deal with shit talkers for no real reason I in no way feel the need to argue over a video game and lose the will to play for a while.

The reason people don't like them is because rank =/= skill. The ranking system encourages bad team-playing, so, statistically, bad team-players get the shotgun rank. This is amplified by the fact that they often talk down to anyone who is not a shotgun rank. And this is amplified further by all the people who are want-to-be shotgun fans who annoy the crap out of them so much that they judge all non-shotgun people the same. In the end, the ranking system is flawed.

Personally, I love to play Grief against shotgun ranked people so I can show that their precious shotgun rank will do nothing to prevent me wiping the floor with them.

There should be a reset button or something that clears all your zombie stats.... Easter eggs, kills, gibs, you name it...

I'm sick of it saying my favorite weapons is the Starter pistol, my favorite map is tranzit, and that I only have blue eyes...

I discovered recently however, a "cure" to time-downgrading... I was playing a game of survival town, got to round 30 with all perks, 350-ish kills, 3 downs and what-not... Earlier in the week I had been downgraded by two slashes via time... The survival game pushed me up one slash, and I was like: All right cool! Awsome!

So then I go and play a game of greif cell block (don't laugh, it's a good mode, I like PHD Flopper), and end up winning on round 14 with zero downs and a good 67 kills, no perks, I think... Anyways I go back to the menu and ripley's beleive it or not, I was back to blue eyes....

I'm not sure if it was the lack of downs, the lack of perks, or simply because we won, but that greif match REALLY sent my score, not up, but back... Purhaps greif was ment to be a sort of way to pay off one's dept of time? Idk just thought this might be usefull...

Personally, I don't exactly hate them, I have just had a bad experience with them.

First of all, I am only a Skull rank. So, everytime I am in a lobby and a shotgun ranked player joins, the player will just immediately leave.

Secondly, out of all the people who glitch/abuse Grief, they are almost always Shotgun ranked players.

Again, this has just been my experience.

I was in a MotD game today playing with two other Shotgun ranked players. These players didn't care about my rank in this case because I joined when the countdown was at 1. As the game when on, I was a little suspicious. Their skill in-game didn't seem to match the skill of a conventional shotgun ranked player. After awhile, I caught them both glitching, killing a bunch of Zombies unable to get to them because they were walking on some invisible wall. I assumed they also did the Die Rise glitch similar to this. I guess that explained their rank, glitching to get kills.

I like to consider myself an expert in Zombies but ill never be off of the skull rank. It's bullshit really. The zombies ranking system is so flawed that I don't even try to rank up anymore. Half the time the people with skulls are better than the knife and shotgun ranked players anyways.

Agreed. I really, really wish this ranking system was different.

I also think there just aren't enough ranks to justify the system they use. Five, or four (since it's ridiculously easy to get from one bone to two) ranks aren't enough to truly showcase ones true skill level. Even some players who deserve the shotgun rank won't ever get it due to the extremely high requirement to get it.

The true skill of someone who just entered the Skull rank compared to the true skill of someone at the end of the Skull rank (as in, they're on the brink of getting Skull/Knife) is a huge difference.

They shouldn't rank players by how the do now, there should be different ranks:

Blue eyes on a Riffle skull: You have lots of kills, but downs don't matter

Empty eyes on a Riffle skull: You have lots of kills but tons of downs

Yellow eyes on a Riffle skull: You have tons of teammate downs but a lot of kills (Signifies non-team players and trolls)

Red eyes on a Riffle skull: You have tons of kills and tend to build things/ Discover Easter eggs/ other tactical things meaning your a guy who likes to do things besides fight zombies, but likes to kill zombies as well...

Green eyes on a Riffle skull: You have lots of kills and you play sub-games a lot such as turned, and greif

Knife skull with any color eyes- You have lots of kills and prefer close ranged weapons: Shotguns, melees, ect

Crossheir skull with any color eyes: You have lots of kills and prefer long ranged weapons such as snipers and such...

Nuked skull with any color eyes: You have lots of gernade kills: Tact.s, leathal, war machine

Riffles with skull with any color eyes: Lots of kills Mid-ranged riffles are your thing: FAL, SmR

Pistols and skull with any color eyes: Lots of kills, mainly with pistols, B23r, m1911, Ray gun

Gears and skull with any color eyes: Lots of kills mainly with equipments: Turrets, seliquifier, sheild, tramplesteam ect.

There's not a rank for SMGs, machine guns, as everyone uses these, these are the only guns with ranks...

And finally the amount of lifetime kills:

10,000,000+: Broken evil skull

5,000,000: Normal skull

1,000,000: Bone-Fist

500,000: Two Cross Bones

100,000: A single bone

1: A zombie hand rising from the grave...

So just a recap:

Eyes: What kind of player you are

Bone: Amount of kills

Background weapon: Your preferred choice of slaughter

Your bone rank will go down if you don't play, but if you play a few good games it will rise back up easier then before...

Would that be better? I personally think it would...

The reason people don't like them is because rank =/= skill. The ranking system encourages bad team-playing, so, statistically, bad team-players get the shotgun rank. This is amplified by the fact that they often talk down to anyone who is not a shotgun rank. And this is amplified further by all the people who are want-to-be shotgun fans who annoy the crap out of them so much that they judge all non-shotgun people the same. In the end, the ranking system is flawed.

Personally, I love to play Grief against shotgun ranked people so I can show that their precious shotgun rank will do nothing to prevent me wiping the floor with them.

I was going to contribute my own opinion on this subject, but after reading MMX's post, there is nothing I could say that he did not already say himself, so rather than tread on anyone's toes, I will just say ^^^THIS!

They shouldn't rank players by how the do now, there should be different ranks:

Blue eyes on a Riffle skull: You have lots of kills, but downs don't matter

Empty eyes on a Riffle skull: You have lots of kills but tons of downs

Yellow eyes on a Riffle skull: You have tons of teammate downs but a lot of kills (Signifies non-team players and trolls)

Red eyes on a Riffle skull: You have tons of kills and tend to build things/ Discover Easter eggs/ other tactical things meaning your a guy who likes to do things besides fight zombies, but likes to kill zombies as well...

Green eyes on a Riffle skull: You have lots of kills and you play sub-games a lot such as turned, and greif

Knife skull with any color eyes- You have lots of kills and prefer close ranged weapons: Shotguns, melees, ect

Crossheir skull with any color eyes: You have lots of kills and prefer long ranged weapons such as snipers and such...

Nuked skull with any color eyes: You have lots of gernade kills: Tact.s, leathal, war machine

Riffles with skull with any color eyes: Lots of kills Mid-ranged riffles are your thing: FAL, SmR

Pistols and skull with any color eyes: Lots of kills, mainly with pistols, B23r, m1911, Ray gun

Gears and skull with any color eyes: Lots of kills mainly with equipments: Turrets, seliquifier, sheild, tramplesteam ect.

There's not a rank for SMGs, machine guns, as everyone uses these, these are the only guns with ranks...

And finally the amount of lifetime kills:

10,000,000+: Broken evil skull

5,000,000: Normal skull

1,000,000: Bone-Fist

500,000: Two Cross Bones

100,000: A single bone

1: A zombie hand rising from the grave...

So just a recap:

Eyes: What kind of player you are

Bone: Amount of kills

Background weapon: Your preferred choice of slaughter

Your bone rank will go down if you don't play, but if you play a few good games it will rise back up easier then before...

Would that be better? I personally think it would...

You just explained a better ranking system because the current one is awful mainly because it only cares about kills/downs not revives I personally go out of my way to revive my team it doesn't matter where you are because we have teleporters (talking about Tranzit) but do my efforts get recognized? no they do not!

You just explained a better ranking system because the current one is awful mainly because it only cares about kills/downs not revives I personally go out of my way to revive my team it doesn't matter where you are because we have teleporters (talking about Tranzit) but do my efforts get recognized? no they do not!

I thought revives do matter?

Hasn't it been proven that K/D isn't the only criteria for ranking up?

I thought revives do matter?

Hasn't it been proven that K/D isn't the only criteria for ranking up?

Kd isn't the only criteria. But it does play a huge role. Someone that played easy all the time with a 200 kd will have less of a chance at getting shotties then someone that played regular zombies and has a 190 kd. If someone only played till round 10 and quit out to save their kd would have less of a chance of getting shotties then someone that gets to a high rounds and has a similar kd.

And then again you can't tell what someone's true kd is because now grief and turned are counted separately. So what you see is different from what they know. Unless the person told you their stats without their versus stats.

But to get back to the topic. I had another shotgun hate on me when I had shotguns. I think they were just trolling, but I can see why people think shotgun ranks are dicks. And if you downed yourself to get perma jug, then thats your fault for screwing up your chances of getting a rank. Perma perks are meant to help you if you are having a bad game. I don't even think they should go over from game to game.

I tend to really dislike shotgun rank players because 9 times out of 10 they talk a lot of crap and think they're just the best at this game feeling like they need to be the boss and its generally just annoying.

On top of that they're usually never as good as their rank implies as all you really have to do is get to wave 25 on town a few times with no downs and end the game so its not that hard. Once they start having a bad game in a tight map where you cant constantly train in one area (which is all they really know how to do) they usually ragequit which is a really big piss off when they just sat there in the pre-game lobby threatening to report people if they quit.

Not all shotgun rankers are that way though, just 9 out of 10. I don't sit there trash talking them in a lobby though either, if you're shotgun rank and you don't talk crap and you're cool im not just going to start something over nothing. :P

Because they are often dangerous and hugely self absorbed. The backbone of playing Zombs meant teamwork. And any game I play with a Shotgun I do not know is one where I wonder when they will let us down.

Generalizing.

-they can be lacking in revives to a shocking degree. having someone lose their Revive maidenhead in round 26 when there have been over 60 team pickups by then? ugh.

-attitude beyond repellent. toward other players to such a degree that you wonder if someone only became good at this game to lord it over others.

-sacrificing others to protect their numbers. i wrote in another thread how one guy enjoyed leaving on the gondola when in any trouble and leaving others to die. to me directly often.

"With great power comes great responsibility."

And they often pervert it in matches by bullying others. Getting their own way to the detriment of the team and fellow players. They learn how to make the maps work for them and they will do anything to make it work that way. Screaming at people to get out of their yards, just taking blundergats and filling matches with hate, bile and ugliness.

-leaving matches because of a few quick downs to protect their Rank. which they often are. simply rank.

I agree entirely with MMX's first statement. I guess you could call it stereotyping, but almost every game I get a shotgun rank, my head just keeps going "back out. It won't be fun. He'll boss you around." The guys with shottys tend to back out if they're about to get downed, or if the half/majority of the team goes down. They also tend to talk down to others, or attempt to explain the ranking system to their perception without anyone asking as a way to brag. Though there are many exceptions, probably like the OP, guys with shottys want to keep their rank, and to their credit, I can't necessarily blame them.

@Stop mocking me Very cool idea! Maybe also have a system for zombie prestige which restarts your rank and leaves a permanent crack on the skulls. You could have the option to use it if you a specific amount of time played in zombies, say like a day total or two in matches.

Well hey, if there's any positive, leaving a Grief or Turned match prematurely will count as a loss, so I guess that's at least some form of punishment to the Shotgunners who leave.

I said this in another thread about people who leave, and I think it can apply here. If we just had a stat that showed how many times a person has quit (quit, not finish) a game, it would really say a lot about a person. A person with a high number of quits I would definitely be worried about, since he a normal and respectable player usually finishes a match till the end, so they'd have very low quits.

Honestly, I think the hostility comes between the gap of Knife/Shotgun players and Skull players. Those with a high rank may talk down to others, and the lower ranks start hating on the higher ranks because of it. A bad apple spoils the bunch. The first game after I got my knife rank people were already assuming I was a dislikable player. I simply said that I wasn't like that, and we were friendly towards each other the whole match.

The best thing to do is set an example for other players. When you get in a lobby, just say a friendly greeting. It usually will keep everyone happy.

some of you think shotgun players aren't friendly. Send an invite to gt: The BS Zombie and I can show you a good and friendly zombie player.

We all know that that lots of them are really nice people. It only takes one disrespectful player to go on a rant though.

some of you think shotgun players aren't friendly. Send an invite to gt: The BS Zombie and I can show you a good and friendly zombie player.

We all know that that lots of them are really nice people. It only takes one disrespectful player to go on a rant though.

It shouldn't be that way though. 1 good crossbone player doesn't make the whole crossbone rank good.

It shouldn't be that way though. 1 good crossbone player doesn't make the whole crossbone rank good.

But the earlier statement that 90% are bad is true. You. Are in the minority.