A Cat has Nine Lives : Origins

So, having still not worked out what the 'A Cat has Nine Lives' means on the loading screen, I looked up the origins on the saying, and apart from the usual 'Feline Reflex' statements, I found one article of interest...

Do you know why cat's have nine lives -- or did you ever wonder why people say they do? This is the story. A very hungry cat entered a house one day and found a plate of nine fish that were going to be eaten for dinner by the nine starving children who lived there. The cat was feeling a little selfish that day and ate up all of the fish in nine quick bites. With no food on the table, the nine starving children died of hunger the very next day, along with the cat who died from eating WAY too much. When the cat went up to heaven and spoke with God, God was so angry with the cat that he threw him out of heaven and made him fall for nine days all the way back to earth. To this day, the cat still holds the nine lives of the starving children in his belly, which is why he must die nine different times before he will stay dead.

Now... the last part underlined stood out to me. There is 9 afterlife switches. What if each player has to use each switch in a game for something to happen?

I will test it out myself, but thought I may mention it to see if anyone has already tried this out.

Sorry if this has been mentioned already.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, having still not worked out what the 'A Cat has Nine Lives' means on the loading screen, I looked up the origins on the saying, and apart from the usual 'Feline Reflex' statements, I found one article of interest...

Do you know why cat's have nine lives -- or did you ever wonder why people say they do? This is the story. A very hungry cat entered a house one day and found a plate of nine fish that were going to be eaten for dinner by the nine starving children who lived there. The cat was feeling a little selfish that day and ate up all of the fish in nine quick bites. With no food on the table, the nine starving children died of hunger the very next day, along with the cat who died from eating WAY too much. When the cat went up to heaven and spoke with God, God was so angry with the cat that he threw him out of heaven and made him fall for nine days all the way back to earth. To this day, the cat still holds the nine lives of the starving children in his belly, which is why he must die nine different times before he will stay dead.

Now... the last part underlined stood out to me. There is 9 afterlife switches. What if each player has to use each switch in a game for something to happen?

I will test it out myself, but thought I may mention it to see if anyone has already tried this out.

Sorry if this has been mentioned already.

WoW, this sounds really cool. Can you make a video of you doing this?

I'm quite certain that people can use all 9 switches easily. I can't think of anything else that revolves around reliving your current state outside the plane and Afterlife switches though. This is definitely something to fiddle around with!

I am more thinking along the lines of listening out for any notification sound upon having the same person use all 9 switches in one match.

If there IS 9 switches, which I am sure there is, then maybe it means using them all. Possibly not, but the coincidence of having 9 switches, and the origins of the quote itself make it something worth testing out.

I'm quite certain that people can use all 9 switches easily. I can't think of anything else that revolves around reliving your current state outside the plane and Afterlife switches though. This is definitely something to fiddle around with!

I am more thinking along the lines of listening out for any notification sound upon having the same person use all 9 switches in one match.

If there IS 9 switches, which I am sure there is, then maybe it means using them all. Possibly not, but the coincidence of having 9 switches, and the origins of the quote itself make it something worth testing out.

what about in solo?wouldnt this be done very often?

• Administrators

- spawn

- warden's office

- showers

- near mp5

- near gondola (up)

- infirmary

- near juggernog

- circular stairway

- inside gate on docks

Yes, that is 9 switches total in the map.

- spawn

- warden's office

- showers

- near mp5

- near gondola (up)

- infirmary

- near juggernog

- circular stairway

- inside gate on docks

Thanks or the confirmation on this Infest. This does make it rather interesting.

I will be going into a game very soon now, so will try it throughout the game and listen for anything untoward.

May even be a way to allow a player to complete the Pop Goes the Weasel on solo.

Either way, the origin is an interesting fit with the theory, so we shall see.

- spawn

- warden's office

- showers

- near mp5

- near gondola (up)

- infirmary

- near juggernog

- circular stairway

- inside gate on docks

Wow, I never realized that. Thanks for posting that Infest.

Al had to of wrote the message in his diary for a reason. Perhaps he was just referencing that there were 9 different locations to down yourself, or maybe there really is more to this.

Seems like more than a coincidence.

Good stuff here Zen!

very nice post DBZ. I always saw that quote, but never really thought to look into it.

... God was so angry with the cat that he threw him out of heaven and made him fall for nine days all the way back to earth. To this day, the cat still holds the nine lives of the starving children in his belly, which is why he must die nine different times before he will stay dead....

The whole falling to Earth thing reminds me a bit of the classic story of Icarus as well.

• Administrators

So I just thought of something that may connect to this.

Let's account for the number of times our crew died.

1) Their death that occurs in real life, with Al murdered and Finn, Billy, and Sal sent to the electric chair.

2) The first time around after they "kill" Ferguson. The Zombies kill them. This begins the cycle.

3) The beginning of the first cycle. They crash on the bridge and die.

4) 1st attempt in the 3-set.

5) 2nd attempt in the 3-set.

6) 3rd attempt in the 3-set.

----This is where I got stuck at----

7) Going into Afterlife and boarding the plane one last time.

8) Recovering their actual bodies on the bridge.

9) Dying once more, and possibly for the final time given that Al kills the other three.

Of course, this setup is flawed but it's what I could envision being related to nine lives.

- spawn

- warden's office

- showers

- near mp5

- near gondola (up)

- infirmary

- near juggernog

- circular stairway

- inside gate on docks

what about the one in the generator room?

- spawn

- warden's office

- showers

- near mp5

- near gondola (up)

- infirmary

- near juggernog

- circular stairway

- inside gate on docks

what about the one in the generator room?

Is there one at spawn? How could I have missed THIS!?!

Where in spawn? Suppose I am just about to go into a game so will know for sure.

Still think there is something to this, but can't quite put my finger on what.

I counted 9, and if 9 is the case, the it is a coincidence worth investigating.

Infest, I love that last post. Good stuff...

It is in library. the afterlife switch in spawn

If this is the case, then there is 10 switches in Alcatraz, and that rules my theory out.

Still think there is something we are not getting from this 'A Cat with Nine Lives' quote.

Well, it was just a thought, but thanks BS for confirming the 10 switches. Saves me the time!

Back to the drawing board...

So I just thought of something that may connect to this.

Let's account for the number of times our crew died.

1) Their death that occurs in real life, with Al murdered and Finn, Billy, and Sal sent to the electric chair.

2) The first time around after they "kill" Ferguson. The Zombies kill them. This begins the cycle.

3) The beginning of the first cycle. They crash on the bridge and die.

4) 1st attempt in the 3-set.

5) 2nd attempt in the 3-set.

6) 3rd attempt in the 3-set.

----This is where I got stuck at----

7) Going into Afterlife and boarding the plane one last time.

8) Recovering their actual bodies on the bridge.

9) Dying once more, and possibly for the final time given that Al kills the other three.

Of course, this setup is flawed but it's what I could envision being related to nine lives.

^this^

That is probably the answer to cat has 9 lives question in the beginning.

Dying 9 different times before staying dead.....

Here is a list, right off the top of my head

1: Downed by zombies

2: By Acid Trap

3: Fan Trap

4: Ray Gun

5: Afterlife switch

6: Hellhound

7: Falling/Diving off a high platform.

8: Electric Chairs

9: The ending..... Weasel/Billy Sal and Finn are murdered by Billy Sal and Finn/Weasel.