PS4 or Xbox One?

What are your opinions? Which will you be choosing?

Playstation's presentation focused much more on games, while Xbox focused more on how it's a home entertainment console. And while that's not bad, I really wanted to see more games.

I still haven't decided. E3 will be big for me. I want to see the games for Xbox One and the announcement's close proximity to E3 definitely was a reason for the lack of games.

Whichever I get, I plan to get Destiny for. What does everyone else think?

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This initial Xbox One reveal was disappointing. I wanted to see much more about the actual games. Maybe it's because I'm old school, but when it comes to a gaming console, the only thing I really care about is the games. The rest is just frosting.

I think it says a lot of about which console people are initially putting their faith in, when as soon as Microsoft's Xbox One reveal was finished, Sony's stock went up 9.25%.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/05/21/ ... one-reveal

I won't be making any purchase decisions until after E3. I need to see some actual gameplay footage of games in development before I decide on anything. Pre-rendered animations don't sell me on much.

But as of right now, that PS4 is looking nice.

- Mix

Wii U. Not just saying that because I like Nintendo, but it has potential that nobody is bothering with.

But PlayStation for life baby. All them features and crap the Xbox One will have I don't need or want anyway.

I buy a GAMING CONSOLE to play VIDEO GAMES.

Being a Sony fan i will probably end up purchasing the Ps4..

But like MixMasterNut said its definitely going to be dependent on the games. Price tag is not really an issue for me either, but id be lying if i said that wasn't a factor on which system i would want to buy first. If the PS4 has a shit game line-up at E3, i will undoubtedly go for the Xbox One.

COD is definitely a factor as well, i am truly done waiting a month for my favorite games DLC. So its going to be a tough choice for me, but i have high hopes for the PS4.

I was always going to get PS4, regardless of how better Xbox might've been.

Fair to say it's cemented now for me. They really couldn't have chosen a better name?

"Oh hey, did you hear about the Xbox One?"

"The first Xbox? Yeah, I played that years ago"

"No, the new one"

"Oh the 360, yeah that's pretty fun"

I'm gonna wait till E3 before I pass full judgement, but it just seems like it's not going for them guys. I don't like the 24 hour connect once thing, or the pre-owned fee's. Now, hopefully Sony does not do either of those things, but I would not be surprised if they do.

Still, I will grab the PS4, maybe on it's second version. Those usually have all the kinks worked out, and I should hopefully have it before the next Zombies installment.

I wonder how this will all work out for the Microsoft contract when it comes to it's renewal?

Wii U. Not just saying that because I like Nintendo, but it has potential that nobody is bothering with.

But PlayStation for life baby. All them features and crap the Xbox One will have I don't need or want anyway.

I buy a GAMING CONSOLE to play VIDEO GAMES.

Took the words right out of my mouth man. Playstation 4 all the way for me, but the wii u is fantastic also.

Either way, based on the expected E3 reveal/showing of BOTH systems, I will most likly end up buying a PS4.... the controller layout, the history I have with the Playstation franchise (been on the PS2 since i was about 6 or 7), and all the systems Sony looks ike its trying to impliment (and ofcourse, the free online gaming) all go into this decission....

In general, I just like the playstation systems more than the Xbox ones... Its all personaly opinion really ;)

I think most of us, including myself, weren't going to be swayed one way or the other by the reveals. We're used to controller layouts, have our profiles with Gamerscore/Trophies, our friends, and much more.

My friends are sticking with Xbox so I will be as well.

• Moderators

I think most of us, including myself, weren't going to be swayed one way or the other by the reveals. We're used to controller layouts, have our profiles with Gamerscore/Trophies, our friends, and much more.

My friends are sticking with Xbox so I will be as well.

This.

On a different note.

and this

I think both consoles will perform pretty much the same graphically and speed wise.

I will probably be getting the xbox one based on my friends staying with xbox and the fact that I prefer the xbox controller for FPS's which is the majority of my playtime.

I won't be making my final decision until both are released though.

I've searched my feelings, and decided the Xbox One is not for me.

I'm not cool at all with this Kinect camera being required to use the Xbox One. I don't care to have a Kinect for gaming. Doesn't appeal to my gaming tastes. But my big issue about it is, the Xbox One Kinect is a 1080p 30fps wide angle lens always monitoring your living room.

The mic on the machine is always active, because it's waiting for you to say "Xbox On". So even when the machine is "Off", it's still technically On taking in signals.

And this thing is always connected to the internet. It requires an internet connection at least once every 24 hours.

This opens the door wide open for a massive intrusion of privacy. Big Brother is watching us closer than ever right now. And I don't trust my privacy to a mega-corporation such as Microsoft. I don't trust the enemies of mega-corporations, like Anonymous hackers, from hacking into the Xbox One systems and evading people's privacy. I don't trust my own government, where the pentagon has 13 cyber attack teams and has created super-viruses like the Flame and Stuxnet viruses, from hacking into Xbox One machines to spy on it's citizens. The Flame virus is open-source info now. Who is to say someone doesn't modify it to make Xbox One consoles secretly spy on their users' activity.

No one needs to stick a camera and microphone, connected to the internet, in my home. Bottom line is I'm not about to sell my Freedom of privacy away for video games.

- Mix

New info has come up for used games on Xbox One.

If you sell a game back to a retailer who can accept it, such as Gamestop or Best Buy, then they will scan the game into their system. Each game has a tracking number sort of. When the system sees that you've sold it back, it automatically wipes the game from your system. This is obviously to prevent someone from just buying and reselling games over and over due to having to install games on your system before you can play it.

Now here's my question: What about eBay purchases? I guess that's where that fee comes in.

And about the fee, retailers who resell games must sign a contract with Microsoft to sell the games and give a certain percentage back to the developer. This is so developers will still make money on used games, which has been a widespread problem for developers in the past.

I see WHY they did it. I just don't know how much I like it. I'm sure developers will love it.

And on the Always On issue, I don't see a real problem for me. I play most games with friends so I'm always on anyways. I can see how it could be a problem for many, but it won't be for me.

I understand where you're coming from Mix. I don't like the requirement of Kinect. We'll see if they change things if they get enough backlash after E3.

Lastly, I'm going to be getting the console this Fall for Destiny. If it's a 10 year spanning game, I want to be able to start it off on the new console and not have to transfer over.

To add to what I was talking about earlier about this console being potentially used to intrude your home privacy...

A little over a year ago, there were reports of CIA Chief, David Petraeus, stating that they plans on spying on "persons of interest" through their home appliances in this coming "smart home" age.

Check out this report below:

http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2012/03/petraeus-tv-remote/

The report also links to info on how easy it would be for the US government to "geolocate" targets through their "phone or Playstation" devices, without worrying about protection of the 4th amendment.

Now we're about to have this 'All in One' Xbox One entertainment console. The Xbox One is a step forward in fulfilling the idea of the "smart home", where all your appliances will be hooked up to the internet. Xbox One has it's live microphone, silent internet connections, and required HD camera. Microsoft is looking to sell between 400 million - 1 billion units over the next decade. That's a whole lot of homes. For CIA Chief, David Petraeus, and his home appliance spying agenda, opportunity knocks.

- Mix

I'm probably going to get the Xbox One. I like Xbox. Plus, their controllers are better suited for my monster hands.

Oh, and for the Kinect always watching me; well, I wouldn't care. If I suddenly became scared of what might happen, I'll just put some tin foil over the camera part. Or simply just unplug it when I have the console off. There we go. Case closed.

Yeah, I feel like there hasen't been enough information to really make an informed decision. I've been on Xbox 360 for awhile (owned PS2 & original Xbox), and while I have allegiance to them - I don't like the idea of having to buy several other components to complete my console experience.

My console experience should be just that, on the console. Once you bring in outside components like cable television, premium channels, sports, music - and tell us that one of the defining features is being able to "switch between them fast", it makes me feel like it's more entertainment centered than gaming centered. And of course, this is no surprise. I'm just not planning on spending a ton of money to enjoy the thing that I spent a bunch of money on initially. Factor in blatant lies about the controller innovation (over 40, huh? too bad each one is superficial except for the "increased ergonomic handling"). Factor in the lack of backwards gaming capability. Factor in all the flaws, and in the end, it seems that gaming comes last with the Xbox One.

Of course, I'm sure there will be some great things shown off at E3. It really does matter how great, though. This is make or break, for me at least.

One thing we have to remember about the Xbox One is that the reveal was a "console" reveal and was advertised as such. They wanted to show off everything that the console could do. There wasn't a big emphasis on games because it wasn't about the games, strictly speaking. Besides, like I've said before, they're probably going to show off the games at E3 (however, this is wishful thinking, looking at last years Microsoft conference...).

• 2 weeks later...

So, what's everyone feeling like now with E3?

Still PS4 for me. The exclusivity of KHIII and FFXV (versus XIII) I like, since XIII was shorter than originally planned to fit on the 360, so I'm glad those potential issues won't happen. Still, there are people who are fans of Xbox who are also fans of those two franchises, so I imagine it will be quite the decision for them.