~Dead Ops Arcade and MotD~

Hey all!

Ok so firstly, if you look closely while playing DOA (not that you would ever play it :mrgreen: ) you will notice that the zombies have red eyes. As we know, they also have red eyes in mob of the dead. Now why might this be? What connection could the two very seperate maps / modes hold?

Well, let's first look at MotD. We know a seemingly demonic in nature being is in control. The being is often referred to as lucifer. The characters are trapped in an endless cycle of resurrection and failed escape attempts. The characters even remark on things like power-ups, saying stuff like "god, another way to extend our torture." from this we can concludd that MotD's characters are being subjected to the kind of torment richtofen might enjoy, by actually playing with his prisoners for his own amusement.

The mobsters are trapped in sort of a game. Now bearing in mind that call of dury zombies is in fact a video game, mob of the dead draws our attention specifically to the fact that death and ressurection in no way affect the characters' presence in subsequent games. It's like they are subtly breaking the fourth wall and setting up an in-game scenario identical to the actual game scenario.

Now obviously DOA takes on a much less realistic form than MotD or the other maps. In fact DOA can hardly be considered a map. My point is that it takes on more of a mini-game type feel than anything. So in a much more direct sense, DOA is more of a "game" than the rest of zombies.

Do what do we know, or what can we infer?

> DOA and MotD have the same controller of the zombies.

> Both are a sort of game, yet also a prison of sorts.

(the second one might just be evidence of the first.)

The one that jumps out is that they may have the same controller. As I said DOA is hardly considered a map. However, this might establish an actual setting for the map in relation to MotD. A commonly held notion is that the MotD 4 exist in hell, or some warped form of hell through the rift. Let's consider the possibility of DOA existing in hell.

An anonymous man fights through hordes of impossible numbers of undead in an unrealistic area. Even upon conquering the Cosmic Silverback he is returned to the start, with rven more undead to take on. Upon finally succumbing to the impossible numbers, he is seemingly rewarded with gems and such, only to be beaten and robbed by the silverback, and forced to restart. Yep, sounds pretty hellish.

Now as for a time setting, here is my idea.

We know in MotD initially it takes place in the 30s. However upon suddenly transitioning to the hellish nightmare of a prison as seen during actual gameplay, it has entered hell. In hell there is no time. So while Alcatraz and the mobsters existed in Alcatraz, they were in the timeline. Afterwards they were completely off the grid. Consequently DOA was never ON the grid, so it never existed on a timeline relative to the rest. DOA's arena only ever existed in hell. For all intents and purposes, it IS hell. (or at least a small part of it.)

I'm not so sure it's possible to gather any significant clues for future use from this, but it's fun to look back at what makes sense now, but was just sort of blegh back then.

Also is it just me or is playing DOA basically hell anyway? Dat awful mode. :mrgreen:

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. Dead Ops Arcade is awesome. It's such a fun mode and while it may not be like any other zombies map, there's something to it that keeps me going back. Things are always changing and it's not just running a loop for an hour plus.

2. There's evidence that MotD may be post 1942. Obviously, many, possibly most, disagree with me here, but I'm still firmly on the side of post 42. If you want evidence, I can give it to you.

3. Interesting theory, besides the parts where you say you barely consider DOA a map(how dare you! ;) ) I'll have to think about this more.

Good stuff overall EJ.

That's really interesting E.J

Nice connection, i overlook the finer details a lot. lol

DOA does seem like a puppet master type game similar to the story in MOTD. This endless cycle of "reliving" the same night over and over again, but i guess in this case it would be the same 40 rounds over and over again.

Before i read this i always considered DOA a map like the rest cause it was slaying zombies... so bamm, it obviously a map as well...

But i can see now how it could be considered a game that's separate from "zombies".

Kinda would support the hud style change in MOTD as well, maybe these slight changes are there way of trying to implementing a different type of survival.

A game of survial = normal zombies.

Survival of the game = DOA and MOTD.

Hopefully im not to far from your thinking E.J, and kuddos to you for playing DOA.

Love it.

This endless cycle of "reliving" the same night over and over again, but i guess in this case it would be the same 40 rounds over and over again.

I believe the story is that once you defeat CS, the other one's are his brothers. So no reliving the same fight, just fighting his brothers.

• Moderators

I bet EJ just wanted to hate on DOA and used this "Theory" to justify him making a thread.

I know you. :P

Nice post though.

Correct me if I am wrong but Dead ops had like almost zero relevance to the story, right?

So maybe good old EJ changed that with his (hate) thread.

+1

There's evidence that MotD may be post 1942. Obviously, many, possibly most, disagree with me here, but I'm still firmly on the side of post 42. If you want evidence, I can give it to you.

I also believe that when we, the player, join the 4 mobsters in their eternal damnation, it is way, way, waaaaaaaay past the events of group 935.

For a start, they perk machines are getting phased in and out of this purgatory, and as such, they would have to be after a time period where the perks actually existed in the first place. Then, there is of course the weasel quotes where he is constantly referring to having done something hundreds of times already.

There is the historical inaccuracy by Treyarch of having the Water Tower on the 'hellish' version of Alcatraz and the prisoners original events taking place in 1932(?) even though it done not become a Federal Prison until 1934!?!

Either way, they have been living this eternal damnation cycle for years and years when we get involved, and there IS evidence to confirm it, so you are definitely right on this one mate.

My "dislike" of DOA is more along the lines of "Ain't nobody got time fo dat." let's say you see a nickel sitting next to a brick of gold. You snatch up the brick of gold and completely disregard the nickel. Why? It's a perfectly good nickel. There's nothing wrong with it. However it serves as a distraction from the gold which is exponentially more valuable. You hardly need the significantly less valuable nickel. You've got gold! Why would you need it! It's useless to you!

DOA = a nickel

Normal Zombies = Gold

Like I said, ain't nobody got time fo dat.

But if MotD does exist outside the reaches of time, I don't see why lucifer couldn't snatch the perks from any time he wants.

Think of it this way. Hell is like a crossroads. Many different times intersect it. One of these times is a zombies map containing perks, which exist in an aetherial state in hell, as they don't truly belong. They exist on a convergent timeline but not at the exact point at which they intersect (the vertex if you will). Alcatraz is another converging setting, which explains why the map is mostly intact (this actually DOES overlap with the vertex.)

Hmm...

My "dislike" of DOA is more along the lines of "Ain't nobody got time fo dat." let's say you see a nickel sitting next to a brick of gold. You snatch up the brick of gold and completely disregard the nickel. Why? It's a perfectly good nickel. There's nothing wrong with it. However it serves as a distraction from the gold which is exponentially more valuable. You hardly need the significantly less valuable nickel. You've got gold! Why would you need it! It's useless to you!

DOA = a nickel

Normal Zombies = Gold

Like I said, ain't nobody got time fo dat.

But if MotD does exist outside the reaches of time, I don't see why lucifer couldn't snatch the perks from any time he wants.

Think of it this way. Hell is like a crossroads. Many different times intersect it. One of these times is a zombies map containing perks, which exist in an aetherial state in hell, as they don't truly belong. They exist on a convergent timeline but not at the exact point at which they intersect (the vertex if you will). Alcatraz is another converging setting, which explains why the map is mostly intact (this actually DOES overlap with the vertex.)

Hmm...

I actually like DOA, but your above quote did put it into perspective.

Now you have made me reconsider whether to play it or not when I fire up BO1.

Damn...

It's a cool idea. I believe that DOA had to become cannon somehow, right? Though sometimes 3arc decides to leave it to the community to write the storyline, and it appears as though you have come up with a very reasonable explanation. Nice job, EJ!

Even though I don't agree with the ties of DOA and MOBT, it's a nice tid bit that these are the only two maps that can be "beaten"

After lvl 40 on DOA the game ends, maybe someone could get to lvl 40 and finish the easter egg on that round? Nothing would probably happen other than you cursing me for closing your round 40 game (ha!) but it's worth a try.