Are Traps Bad?

So I have been playing zombies for a longggg time. Not as much as all of you guys but I still have been plying. I thought traps were fine and dandy and I really never took advantage of them. But probably a month or two ago I decided to actually look at Kingjaq. I wanted to see his strats and stuff. What I saw kind of upset me. All he was doing was running from trap to trap. Don't get me wrong he has a LOT of skill and dedication (i lack dedication lol. i start dying at 45 because I get "bored") I just thought that he would be running some super fast train or something.

After digging deeper I found that almost every high round gameplay from anybody involved running from trap to trap in the best of ways.

So in my opinion I think traps are bad for a map. Not for the casual player but for the high round player. it restrics the map to one section. I think it would be fun to run in spiral staircase or down at the docks. But there are no traps and I would feel that I am waisting my time because I could be going faster.

It might just be that Im kind of already bored of mob of the dead (at least solo) because I already hit 50. But I think it may be from the trap. It may be because I have already played countless hours of zombies. (coming up on 400k kills)

Discuss please?

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Heh. You want my honest opinion?

Traps are stupid.

They take away from the fun. They take away from my kill count. AND they block off escape routes (cafeteria, wardens) Seriously, useless to me. I run good old fashioned trains. IF you want some scary in-a-corner-epic-get-away i can put up a few videos of some. But i agree

Traps are nice in grief. But thats it.

Traps are the best thing for a high-round player ever. Never run out of ammo and have infinite kill power (except the Tower trap in MotD).

My main gripe with them is that I don't get credit for the kills. I would probably have 60,000 more kills on my record if I did. Instead, even though I get high rounds (I can get 50 just about every time I try MotD solo, I have at least 5 times already), it comes out negative with K-D for me cause of the traps. Probably gonna stop playing MotD after I make my 100+ game successfully, because it messes with my K-D so much.

But overall, traps are the best thing ever for high rounds. Only a combination of Traps and a high-power wonder weapon like the Thundergun is better. Just cause you have to stay in certain areas to use them does not make any difference at all, in fact you could argue that it balances them out by making them harder to use.

After a certain point in the game, most weapons become severely ineffective. In the higher rounds, even the strongest weapons will require more and more ammo to be used while dispatching the horde. Certain wonder weapons will surely last longer than other weapons, making the high rounds possible, i.e. Sliquifier, Thundergun, Vitriolic Withering, etc.., but these weapons are finite and eventually they will lose their effectiveness.

It's because of these weapons losing effectiveness that make traps a more viable option for attaining high rounds. Traps are lethal at any round, so it just becomes a matter of making sure you have your entire horde follow you into the trap. With extremely high rounds, your weapon devolves into a way to farm points just so you can activate the traps.

If you ask me, traps are your best friend, especially if you're going for high rounds, but in the early rounds I'd try to farm points instead of using the traps.

I like traps. The Insta-Trap strategy on Kino—and I'm sure you're familiar with this one, BS—is insanely fast. Like, we're talking 20 seconds per horde here. Proper use of traps are certainly far more effective than any gun-exclusive strategy, as doing the latter for a high round would require recycling mid-round, which would, unfortunately, take up a lot of time.

So, yeah, I like traps. I think they're fun and I like how you can just keep going and going with them.

I haven't had the chance to play MoTD or Die Rise yet, so cant say much about them. I use traps when conserving ammo or even just to buy time to get a new weapon. If I'm lucky, I can Pack-a-Punch without being swarmed. I don't think they take away the fun because, well, things always get interesting when you're desperate for survival. I have to re-think my strategy in latter rounds as zombies become stronger and harder to kill. You have to keep moving. If you stop to execute trainz you can be caught off guard by other members of the horde. If you want to survive, swallow your pride and use them. In the end, We all fall down.

Ok i think i kind of made my argument in the wrong way. I was trying to say are they bad for the map. Yes they are good for killing. You can get insanely high with them but it kind of makes you stay at that side of the map. You pretty have to train in cafeteria on motd if you are going for a high round. Or fire trap in kino. Or spawn in five. But im trying to say that they are bad for map design.

And yes they are extremely bad for kd.... lol. I have gone down from a 265 to a 245. :lol: somehow i still got my shotties and i think that is due to the multiple high rounds. But then again you can argue that its afterlifes fault and not the traps fault.

You don't really have to train solely in the area of the trap. Though, this is the most efficient way to play and minimize your time in reaching rounds, you can still run your train around the whole map and then use the trap.

In Kino, I'd do this. I would start on the stage and get a nice train gathered, then run to the spawn room and hit that trap. Gather them up in the spawn and then run back towards the stage and hit that trap. Sure I could just use the stage and only one trap, but I don't have to.

In MotD, I could imagine running a train from the fan trap to the acid trap and back again. I love traps on the map because it gives us more options in killing AND makes high rounds possible.

Ideally, I think, maps should feature several traps, several perks, several guns, several unique train spots, and just a little bit of side quest/EE related items.

Actually. IF you want to get to a high round WITHOUT traps, you no longer have an excuse because:

HELLS REDEEMER IS A 1 HIT KILL UP TO 71 (or so ive heard)

Thus, you cannot argue anymore that it is impossible to get kills at high roudns without traps.

I think that nips this in the bud. True it takes some time but hey, if your gonna get to 50+ you already have too much :D

(like me... :( )

Actually. IF you want to get to a high round WITHOUT traps, you no longer have an excuse because:

HELLS REDEEMER IS A 1 HIT KILL UP TO 71 (or so ive heard)

Thus, you cannot argue anymore that it is impossible to get kills at high roudns without traps.

I think that nips this in the bud. True it takes some time but hey, if your gonna get to 50+ you already have too much :D

(like me... :( )

Its a one hit kill indefinably. Yea I guess you could do higher rounds in other places but its much more difficult and time consuming. I could run trains FOREVER on gg bridge but it is so repetitive. You are continuously throwing the hells redeemer. at least with other maps its the continuous use of the thunder gun or something. But maybe i just need to take a week break from zombies lol. But that's not happening because I love it to much.

Yea i got the time to go to 100 (at least this weekend i do) but hell if im getting there I rather do it as fast as possible.

For Kills play Die Rise

For Traps and easy High rounds play MOTD

Anyways this map is muchazz fun as-is.

Thats a great way to look at it. If i play die rise I can get to 5k kills in the time it takes to get to 50 on motd. but if im on 50 in motd, i have around 2k kills.

I like traps that are unique like the three in MOTD but the basic electric traps I just leave, especially the ones in "five". I think that as long as there are new ideas for traps they will have their place. I mean they've been around longer than perks, they're part of zombies and have made it what it what it is today.

I like traps that are unique like the three in MOTD but the basic electric traps I just leave, especially the ones in "five". I think that as long as there are new ideas for traps they will have their place. I mean they've been around longer than perks, they're part of zombies and have made it what it what it is today.

longer? i thought perks and traps were introduced in the same map? longer than some perks yes.

and i totally agree that they are great for the casual player but I think they hurt the map for the higher round player. just want to make that clear. In motd not so much since they have the redeemer but in other maps especially kino and five it does kind of ruin it.

longer? i thought perks and traps were introduced in the same map? longer than some perks yes.

and i totally agree that they are great for the casual player but I think they hurt the map for the higher round player. just want to make that clear. In motd not so much since they have the redeemer but in other maps especially kino and five it does kind of ruin it.

I can't believe I made that mistake. You're right they were both put in Verruckt.

Perhaps Treyarch could add in a traps On/Off setting like magic and hellhounds. But then the leaderboards would be affected still. I suppose that what treyarch are doing is right by putting the traps in some maps but not all maps

I'm very happy with having them in the map. You can just run the whole map if you want to. I love watching zombies getting sawed in half an Gibs flying everyfuckingwhere.... I like this map man. It's not empty and boring with shitty box weapons anymore like the 1st DLC. A few weeks later and I still love this badass map.

So I have been playing zombies for a longggg time. Not as much as all of you guys but I still have been plying. I thought traps were fine and dandy and I really never took advantage of them. But probably a month or two ago I decided to actually look at Kingjaq. I wanted to see his strats and stuff. What I saw kind of upset me. All he was doing was running from trap to trap. Don't get me wrong he has a LOT of skill and dedication (i lack dedication lol. i start dying at 45 because I get "bored") I just thought that he would be running some super fast train or something.

After digging deeper I found that almost every high round gameplay from anybody involved running from trap to trap in the best of ways.

So in my opinion I think traps are bad for a map. Not for the casual player but for the high round player. it restrics the map to one section. I think it would be fun to run in spiral staircase or down at the docks. But there are no traps and I would feel that I am waisting my time because I could be going faster.

It might just be that Im kind of already bored of mob of the dead (at least solo) because I already hit 50. But I think it may be from the trap. It may be because I have already played countless hours of zombies. (coming up on 400k kills)

Discuss please?

I would have completely agreed a week ago but after getting to round 69 (nice) (and getting the update and being logged out lolz.. ) and using the sweeper (blundergat PackaPunched) and vitriolic withering which became completely noneffective and not having the hell's redeemer the only option for me really was to use the traps specifically the one at the Cafeteria as the Sweeper and Vitriolic withering which are considered the highest damaging weapons in the game besides the hell's redeemer were just not efficient enough with the ammo.By the time it would take to kill maybe 5 zombies in a train with the sweeper I had emptied half my reservoir granted the Vitriolic withering was actually still a 1 hit kill but only with the zombies you stuck,the acid AOE was completely useless at that point and the only use the gun had was distracting the zombies if it looked like I was going to get trapped from overlapping the train.. which turned out to be very useful as I don't want to knock the gun.But the frequency of max ammo's and the amount of ammo I was using were not enough to keep training the zombies at that point so it seemed the only option was to pick up the Hell's Redeemer which would've taken maybe 3 days to finish a round at the Golden Gate bridge with JUST the Hell's Retriever or to use the traps and maybe a wall weapon such as the MP5 PAPed. For the record I would say Traps are bad BUT I'm still going to use them at round 50 , 60 + :D

And here's the Video of me without the Hell's Redeemer

i_gr8yeKAJM

I did train + shoot the zombies and use the trap up untill around Round 40 - 50 or something but eventually it was just taking too long and I started using JUST the trap :]