Alcatraz Library Book Titles

I don't believe it has been discussed, but forgive me if it has. So the names of the books in the library are as follows: Mine Spelunking / Rare Earth Gems and Minerals / Time Management / Alcatraz Swim Team Yearbook and the final title states "The Art of" followed by a scribbled word that is VERY hard to make out but I swear it says "The Art of Boredom" haha. I just wanted to start a discussion regarding there significance and what connection they may have to previous or upcoming Zombie maps. Have at it guys!

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrators

I had no idea that Alcatraz had a swim team...

They don't. :P

It seems to be a joke on certain things. Prisoners would attempt to swim away from the island only to be captured or never seen again. As for the other titles...possibly a reference towards different ways in escaping the island.

Great topic! Anyone have any screenshots to share of these unique books?

Earth Gems and Minerals - Is this a typo or are there two books on the same subject?

Rocks & Gemstones - IMO it's something an alchemist would want to read

There's another one on this image for Paper Machete GURU. I have no clue..

Mine Spelunking - I agree with InfestLithium that this is a joke on escape plans. Might be a reference to Shangri-la, but I doubt it.

Alcatraz Swim Team Yearbook - Another comical reference to an escape plan.

Time Management - Dual meanings for this one. If you are doing time in the slammer, you might as well learn how to manage it. Also, a reference to time-travel, breaking the cycle, and all the weird time warp stuff going on in the storyline.

The Art of _______ - Might be a reference to Magick as an Art. More likely a reference to all the art in the game (comic book art, paintings, graphitti, etc), similar to the "How to Draw" ad on the Moon loading screen.

- Mix

Paper Machet Guru - probably a reference to the most famous escape attempt.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/June_1962_Alcatraz_escape

By September 1961 Morris, West, and the Anglin brothers were planning an escape attempt, which they carried out on the night of June 11, 1962. They fabricated dummy heads from a mixture of soap, toilet paper and real hair, and left them in their beds to fool prison officers making night-time inspections.

They escaped from their cells by crawling through holes in the cell walls which they had dug with spoons over a year's time. This put them into an unused service corridor. West could not make it out of his cell and was left behind.

(Look familiar? You go down this corridor in afterlife to open the Shower/laundry door. They used spoons to dig holes through their cell walls!)

From the service corridor they climbed a ventilation shaft to reach the roof. The trio then climbed down from the rooftop, scaled the prison's fence and assembled a raft from the prison's standard-issue raincoats and contact cement. They pumped up the raft on the northeastern coast of the island. At around 10 p.m. they climbed aboard, shoved off, and started paddling.