Rusty Cage (origin and message)

Rusty Cage Lyric Analysis

Written/Researched by RequixEclipse

This is the lyrics to Rusty Cage which was originally written by Soungardens front man Chris Cornell. In 1996 Jonny Cash would cover the song for his album "Unchained"

________________________________________________________________________________________________

For those who don't know the band Soundgarden:

American Alternative/Grunge/Rock band from Seattle, Washington formed in 1986.

Soundgarden, Alice In Chains, Nirvana, and

Pearl Jam would make Grunge a real genere. These bands all set the sceen.

Famous for songs off their album "Superunknown" would be "Black Hole Sun" and "Spoonman" both songs were awarded Grammy award winning singles.

Lead singer Chris Cornell would write Rusty Cage which was released in 1991 on "Badmotorfinger" album but the song was over shadowed by the release of Nirvana's hit album "Nevermind"

In 1997 the band split up.

________________________________________________________________________________________________

Perfect implementation of that song by Treyarch I'd say *claps*

Why is that you say?

Johnny Cash wanted to cover new generation music.

He would bridge the gap by covering modern day music in a way that his generation would listen to it.

Most wouldn't think that Soundgarden was the first but it's fact.

Here are the lyrics to Rusty Cage: Johnny Cash Version*

You wired me awake

And hit me with a hand of broken nails

You tied my lead and pulled my chain

To watch my blood begin to boil

But I'm gonna break

I'm gonna break my

I'm gonna break my rusty cage and run

Yeah I'm gonna break my

I'm gonna break my

Too cold to start a fire

I'm burning diesel burning dinosaur bones

I'll take the river down to still water

And ride a pack of dogs

But I'm gonna break

I'm gonna break my

Yeah I'm gonna break my

I'm gonna break my

When the forest burns

Along the road

Like God's eyes

In my headlights

When the dogs are looking

For their bones

And it's raining icepicks

On your steel shore

But I'm gonna break

I'm gonna break my

Yeah I'm gonna break my

I'm gonna break my

This right here ladies and gentalmen is a message Treyarch wants us to hear.

I will be updating this thread every couple minutes with connections.

Connections to the story:

Naitrax's "Where are we going?" song analysis

Wired me awake = some one/thing was sent to wake our characters up.

Tied my lead = Tieing a lead is a direct term Farmers use for rope.

Example: I tied my lead around my horse and walked him to his stable.

Russman was a Farmer....

Pulled my chain: messing around or fooling with me.

To watch my begin blood boil: just to watch me begin to get frustrated and angry

Raining Ice Picks= possibly referencing the snipers bullets raining down killing the zombies after activating the trap

Steel shore= We have the Docks and a rusty metal cage holding the Gas Tank.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just wanted to point out that the "Hits like a Phillips head into my brain..." bridge part isn't actually in Johnny Cash's version. His cover was more of an abbreviated version.

I noticed I put the original man sorry, that's why I didn't connect it or correlate it. But ill make it Johnny Cash. (: thanks

Just wanted to point out that the "Hits like a Phillips head into my brain..." bridge part isn't actually in Johnny Cash's version. His cover was more of an abbreviated version.

I noticed I put the original man sorry, that's why I didn't connect it or correlate it. But ill make it Johnny Cash. (: thanks

It's cool, I didn't mean it to discredit your post in any way... I like your analyzation. Just felt it was worth mentioning for reference.

I love both versions of this song... Soundgarden is definitely one of my favorite bands from the "grunge" era, and Johnny Cash definitely put his own spin on the song and made it his own... just like he did with NIN's "Hurt". I couldn't think of a better choice for this map, musically and lyrically.

It's cool, I didn't mean it to discredit your post in any way... I like your analyzation. Just felt it was worth mentioning for reference.

I love both versions of this song... Soundgarden is definitely one of my favorite bands from the "grunge" era, and Johnny Cash definitely put his own spin on the song and made it his own... just like he did with NIN's "Hurt". I couldn't think of a better choice for this map, musically and lyrically.

It's ok man I apreciate it. I agree with you and I feel like this song is neglected lol

Great job Requix! A ton of theories coming from you lately, no surprise you got nominated for UOTM!

Ohh Naitrax your to kind and your are a nominee as well and you deserved it for you work my friend. Perhaps it were fate that we both did song analysis lol but your awesome man keep it up!!

Great job Requix! A ton of theories coming from you lately, no surprise you got nominated for UOTM!

Ohh Naitrax your to kind and your are a nominee as well and you deserved it for you work my friend. Perhaps it were fate that we both did song analysis lol but your awesome man keep it up!!

Song analysis' are just such fun. Keep up the good work, thanks for including my thread in your post, and great connections!