"Where are We Going?" Song Analysis

Where are We Going?: Song Analysis by Nai

Hello guys! It's Nai here with my own analysis of the Mob of the Dead 2nd Hidden Easter Egg song: Where Are We Going by Kevin Sherwood feat. Malukah (Judith de los Santos)

In case you haven't heard the song yet, here it is:

Link:

Lets get into it:

"Where are we going, from here?"

We are trapped in a maximum security prison with thew undead. We don't know where to go. Where do we go?

"Where do we go, how do we know?"

I will come back to this line. I believe it to be in conjunction with another line.

"Are we all blinded, by fear?"

We cannot see the path ahead. Fear is clouding our vision. Our escape is right there, with the Icarus, but we are too stunned by the fact we have an unstoppable wave of the undead, shambling corpses chasing us.

"How do we let go, of all that we know?"

This is referring to the fact revealed in "The One" about how we lose all personallity and feeling (other than base animal instinct) once we have re-animated:

Staring blankly at the sun,

"Where do we go, when we let go?"

A mention to the Afterlife maybe, but also linking in with the previous line. "Where do WE go?" is referencing the fact that once we die, our personality and soul, the things that make us unique, are gone. Moved on.

"I feel I'm falling, from here"

The feeling once we have died, falling slowly away from this plane of existence, heading towards wherever our chosen faith takes us (heaven, hell, the underworld, wherever YOU believe you go)

It could also be a reference to falling from the Icarus toward the Golden Gate Bridge...

"Don't let me go..."

I think this may be centered around the actual death of Weasel, him speaking back at the crew who killed him, telling them not to let him go

"Is it the calling, we hear?"

This is the line that links in with this one: "Where do we go, how do we know?"

To me, this song is out of order. I would put these lines together. "The Calling" is the voices in Weasel's head, telling him to go places, asking the voices back: "Where do we go? How do we know?" as in "Where do we go? How do we know this is the right place?"

I also think this could be the 3 other prisoners hearing the calling for their execution by electric chairs, since the song seems to revolve around the original cycle.

I think this whole song is from the perspective of Albert "The Weasel" Arlington. It makes sense, doesn't it? The lyrics describe his feelings on that eventful New Year's Eve, 1933, as he slowly moved off into the void...

Hope you guys enjoyed my first song analysis. I want to mention vDeltaGamingv for motivating me to post this! Thanks!

Also, check out RequixEclipse's analysis on Rusty Cage, the 1st hidden Easter Egg song here

~Nai

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for creating this dude. It's the stuff like this that got you nominated. :)

I'm glad someone did an analysis, because I just wasn't feeling it with this song. I like it and all, but its too short and repetitive. :P

I really liked some of the interpretations you have, especially the "I feel I'm falling, from here" summary. I think it really fits the whole theme of the map and Afterlife.

I don't really have much else to say, at least till PS3 gets MOTD. Than I'll definetly get the feel of the map. Good job. :)

Thanks for creating this dude. It's the stuff like this that got you nominated. :)

I'm glad someone did an analysis, because I just wasn't feeling it with this song. I like it and all, but its too short and repetitive. :P

I really liked some of the interpretations you have, especially the "I feel I'm falling, from here" summary. I think it really fits the whole theme of the map and Afterlife.

I don't really have much else to say, at least till PS3 gets MOTD. Than I'll definetly get the feel of the map. Good job. :)

Thanks! I know, this song is the shortest to date, and it was kind of a disappointment. I was going to cover "Rusty Cage", but this song just felt like, even though it was short, it had some DEEP (I'm talking Mariana Trench deep) meaning. I'll leave "Rusty Cage"'s secrets for Requix to uncover :D

I like to think this is a song from Treyarch straight to us fans, about moving on.

Maybe you're right. I like the "are we all blinded by F.E.A.R" line. Do you think this has meaning?

Personally, Nai, I feel Where Are We Going is more of the perspective of the group as a whole, due to the fact that when we start the map, they are VERY confused as to what's going on and wanting to know where to go. So they come up with the solution of executing the escape plan.

Rusty Cage feels to me to be the perspective of Al, solely because of the fact that he was the engineer of the escape plan. He merely needed other prisoners to assist him in building the plane and gathering the parts, so he got Sal, Billy, and Finn to do so, seeing as how they were three of the most skilled and notorious prisoners there. He wanted out. He could care less about the other three. He used them to attempt to get what he wanted. But sadly, they turned on him and killed him.

Remember, if you want to feel like you're being cheated out of your soul, Al's your man.

Personally, Nai, I feel Where Are We Going is more of the perspective of the group as a whole, due to the fact that when we start the map, they are VERY confused as to what's going on and wanting to know where to go. So they come up with the solution of executing the escape plan.

Rusty Cage feels to me to be the perspective of Al, solely because of the fact that he was the engineer of the escape plan. He merely needed other prisoners to assist him in building the plane and gathering the parts, so he got Sal, Billy, and Finn to do so, seeing as how they were three of the most skilled and notorious prisoners there. He wanted out. He could care less about the other three. He used them to attempt to get what he wanted. But sadly, they turned on him and killed him.

Remember, if you want to feel like you're being cheated out of your soul, Al's your man.

Valid theory. Just one loophole. The lines: "I feel I'm falling, from here" & "Don't let me go..." refer to the whole thing in first-person. From the perspective of the group, it would be in third-person, with we, we're, us replacing the I, I'm, me.