The Best Elements of Zombie Mode

Ok, so we're half way through DLC season and there's really been nothing but complaints. So I took the liberty to make a thread on what OUR COLLECTIVE favorite elements of zombie mode are.

Now, this may be a tricky thing because mostly people like things that are NEW. So what was it about Der Riese that made it such a re-playable map? This map came out in 2009 and it's STILL peoples favorite map. So what was it about Der Riese that makes it the best zombie map thus far? (and for those who just want to post "Der Riese isn't my favorite map" please save it because it's not my favorite map either.)

And before I say anything more, I must say this...When I say things like "people like this more than that" kind of thing, I'm talking about THE MAJORITY. For instance, the MAJORITY of people who play zombies, like the O4 better than the N4. Ok, now that that's out of the way, let's begin.

Speaking of characters, allow me to speak on the mojority's behalf by saying that the characters in BO2 are dull and boring. Spawning in as Tank Dempsey, or Nikoli Belinski was satisfying enough for me already. So having cool characters to play as makes a difference. Most people will agree that controlling a bad ass character makes for a fun experience (ex. Halo, WAW-BO1 Zombies, Dead Space, Bioshock, The Walking Dead, etc.) I'm willing to bet that if we had the O4 from the door in BO2, Tranzit may have actually been a bit more tolorable.

Most of my references come from Der Riese since it's THE fan favorite. So we had the introduction of teleportation. That added an element of science fiction. Horror and science fiction work GREAT together in video games. With the acception of the Ray Gun and a few things here and there, science fiction took a back seat in BO2 zombies so far.

New perks are always great. But there's never been an addition to the amount we can buy. No matter how many perks are on the map, we're STILL only able to buy 4. Though we can access them in other ways, I still think it would be funner if we could buy as many as we wanted. Many WILL disagree with this, but that's obvious.

The mystery behind things also adds to it. Yes, there are PLENTY of mysteries in BO2 zombies. Many of which we don't know the answers to. But these mysteries are all time based and won't be discovered (or not) until the final DLC. Der Riese (on the other hand) had references to nazi and WW2 myths and legends scattered through out the map. Almost everywhere you go on that map has some little secret. A little piece of paper under a brick that you need a sniper rifle to read is actually something fun. These things were left out of zombies since Der Riese. Major Easter Eggs are fun and all, but in this case, I think it's quantity over quality. Though quality is good also. If we could have the best of both worlds, that would be great. Die Rise could have had SO MUCH more to it. I think Alcatraz Island actually took a step forward in the right direction with all the writing on the walls, and the references to devil worship everywhere. Especially in the Wardens office. So maybe the 3rd DLC will go even further into that direction.

I've been writing this up for a good 20 minutes now and I'm burnt out. So I'm hoping that you guys can fill in the gaps for me. What are your favorite things about zombies. Let's make this thread something that Treyarch can look to for reference so people can stop complaining about being let down everytime a new DLC arrives. It IS possible to make 90% of the zombie community happy. It just seems like we're not being LOUD ENOUGH about what it is exactly that we WANT from our zombie experiences. What would make the PERFECT zombie map in YOUR (the zombie community) COLLECTIVE OPINION? Please leave your thoughts below.

Sincerely,

ZombicidalManiac

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dunno, I don't really agree with the character issue. I love the N4 and I hope they appear again in the future.

I honestly just think Der Riese was special because it introduced cool new concepts that weren't seen before. So it was a big change from what we'd seen previously. Upgrading your weapons, teleporting, the story was introduced greatly here, A nice map layout, and an interactive easter egg.

Because these concepts are the norm now, it's just not as exciting as they're used in every map.

But that's my opinion on it. I wouldn't say Der Riese is my favourite, but Call of the Dead actually.

Yup. Totally agree.

DLC 4 will have to something special. Moon was a love/hate thing, but it was generally liked alot by most people, just because of the whole no gravity concept, the Hacker, the Biodome and just for the fact of being on the moon.

I am curious as to what else they can add that will wow me like those maps, because it feels like they've done everything. But I tend to say that after every map haha! :lol:

As a fairly new player (I guess starting in black ops 1 is still fairly new) I don't have much knowledge to refer back to WaW so I'll be referencing BO1 and BO2

These are some of my favourite things from the previous zombies ( in no particular order)

The catch phrases from the O4
    Cool hidden songs (not a fan of any except the group 935 song in MoTD)
    Straight forward process to turn on the power

That's about all I could think of for now. These are just my opinions, they are subject to change :mrgreen: *hint hint Trollarch*

I really love how they're making it more challenging. Except TranZit.

I like having an unconventional way of turning on the power, makes it make you decide what to use your Afterlifes on.

I really like the new traps too, but Treyarch, make the "upgrades" permanent. Please. No one wants to shock a tower every time they need more firepower.

I like how they tell what parts there are, less aimlessly looking for crap we know isn't there.

Tomahawk, I was waiting for.

Now, back to Black Ops 1, I miss the Wonder Weapons.

I want my WunderWaffe, my Thundergun, my Wave Gun, not craftable weapons (not even real WWs actually).

The BlunderGat was actually a good idea though, so I'm good for now.

Radios anyone? I know it's unlikely, but I wish radios would come back.

O4 quotes, of course.

That's all I can think of right now.

My favorite part of the zombies game mode is the storylines slow progression over the year and the anticipation of the next maps! The anticipation factor with this game is unlike any other game out there. I am already turning into a crackhead over DLC 3 and 4! I need to know what the hell is going on and how it all ends, it's killing me being stuck in the middle where you just know there is epicness coming our way. I simply can't wait. And to add to the character debate I am pleasantly surprised by the addition of the New 4. I wouldn't say i prefer them over the Old 4, but I think they hold their own. There's nothing like going back to Black Ops 1 right this second and playing as Richtofen. Ultimately, I think they have thus far done an amazing job. TranZit is my favorite map of all time followed by Die Rise, so I'd say they have met and surpassed all of my expectations for this game.

Believe it or not, one of the things that really makes me love a Zombies map is the color scheme, and I'm sure I'm not alone. (Unless you are slightly epileptic.) Look back at Der Riese. The blueish-dark environment with the bright electricity and the yellow eyes actually complemented each other, and as you stated, a mix between horror and science fiction. Admit it: You wanted to watch the zombies get electrified by the Wunderwaffe, and watch the brilliant electric arcs flow from zombie to zombie. Then we have CotD: The same colors, and also a fan favorite. And now MotD. Everyone seems to love it once you get all the perquisites down, like opening the doors and such. I sort of disliked Die Rise because of the brighter colors. Being in the Buddha room felt like I was in a shadow, and the roof was just too bright. Think about other maps, too, like the outsides of Shangri La and even parts of Kino. The colors just aren't very appealing to the eye. It may seem stupid, but think about it. Advertisements do the color scheme tricks all the time, like the yellow and red McDonalds logo. People are attracted to what pleases their eyes, and I don't mean just women. ;)

I've really liked how in every map they've released a new perk, most of the buildables are good additions and are an awesome feature to have in zombies.

I really like the additions of survival, grief and turned and they really make for replay-ability. I feel like they're not getting enough credit for how good they're doing, they've integrated a whole new storyline and though we have more questions than ever and not enough answers its got me hooked.

I loved the original four, Nikolai in particular haha but I really like that there are new characters to play as. I actually really like the Mob of the Dead characters and would love to see them come back for another map (though I don't see that happening).

A lot of people have complaints about this but I love the size of these maps, I've always liked big maps and its cool how in Die Rise and Mob of the Dead they keep the size but they narrow the hallways and rooms to make it more challenging for people who are used to hording zombies.

I really don't see why all the complaints with the EE's either, I mean in Tranzit its still not even finished because we haven't even gotten the correct navcard, but it still gave you a place to start out and to pick a side for the first time ever. Die Rise was kind of simple, but having all the perks isn't a bad reward lol.

Mob of the Dead has more EE's than the two of the other maps combined and you get rewards along the way for doing it (Blundergat, Hell's Retriever/ Redeemer, Golden Spork) although I feel like they should've switched the achievement values around for Pop Goes the weasel and No one Escapes Alive lol.

Another thing that I also disagree with a lot of other people on is the music. I love it and it sounds much better than Elena trying to scream her ass off like in Shanri-La and Moon lol, she's and awesome SINGER not screamer, wheras Clark just has a metal voice but he's not as good of a singer as Elena, he doesn't bring that creepy feeling in that she did. They changed that in Mob of the Dead though, epic combo of songs, I wish Where are we going was longer lol.

I think a thing that people overlook a lot is that Der Reise was the season finale of WaW so of course it was amazing, just like Moon was and I can't even imagine what they're going to bring in for the Season finale this time, I really have a feeling its going to be an 8 player map though :P

I honestly just think Der Riese was special because it introduced cool new concepts that weren't seen before. So it was a big change from what we'd seen previously. Upgrading your weapons, teleporting, the story was introduced greatly here, A nice map layout, and an interactive easter egg.
But the problem is that we're seeing "cool new concepts that haven't been seen before" (sic) with every new map, its just that none of them are actually cool. Buildables were an interesting idea, but after finding all the pieces for the first time, it just became routine. With things like the Pack-a-Punch and the teleporters, we got an immediate (and useful) return. Seriously, who actually used the electric trap on tranZit??

No one ever asked for the face-huggers or the fog. Or with Die Rise, I can see that they were trying to introduce a new idea for perks by putting them in the elevators, but did anyone actually enjoy running around juking out a single zombie for 5 minutes while waiting for the elevator with juggernog to arrive?

(btw this isn't supposed to be a personal attack, your comment was just a good segway into what I wanted to say