Shock Gibson

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrators

The impact of Superman, who debuted in 1938, on the American comic book industry can scarcely be over-estimated. And it was immediate — superheroes - including Doll Man, Amazing-Man, The Sub-Mariner and The Wizard, were climbing on his bandwagon even before 1940. Part of that early proliferation of Superman imitators was Shock Gibson, whose first adventure had a cover date of October, 1939.

Speed Comics #1, where that adventure appeared, was published by Brookwood Publications, which disappeared from the industry in 1941. It was bought by Harvey Comics, which, as the source of Richie Rich, Wendy the Good Little Witch and many other kid characters who started in the 1950s, had a much more noticeable impact on the field. It isn't known who wrote Shock's first story, but the artist was Maurice Scott, who has few other credits in comics. The title of that story was "The Human Dynamo", which is occasionally cited as Shock's superhero name, tho "Shock Gibson" is the name almost universally used in referring to him.

Robert Gibson was his name before he powered himself up. He was experimenting to see if electricity, which had already improved people's lives in so many ways, might also be useful in improving their personal selves, by enhancing their strength, health, etc. He found that by proper application of electricity to his own body, he did gain super strength, as well as the ability to emit powerful electrical bolts, magnetize things, weld metal with his bare hands, and even fly. But instead of sharing his discovery with the world, he kept it to himself and became a superhero, using his newly-minted nickname, "Shock", as part of his monicker.

I'm starting to see a pattern here. Note the date that Shock Gibson was first published in. The Editor notes all over the drawings on the in-game drawing means that this drawing was done before 1939, or that someone tried to replicate it. Could this be one of Al's drawings? He seems to have some tie-in with the Editor.

Also, it's interesting that Shock Gibson just so happens to have the same powers that we have in Afterlife. Hmm...

One thing worth mentioning is that superhero comics were not around in 1932 when our game takes place. The ingame superhero sketch is actually ahead of it's time (maybe why the editor doesn't appreciate it.)

I personally think the sketch is meant to represent a combination of the most classic of comic book super-heroes. Here's where I think inspiration was cherry-picked from...

Superman

Superman was the very first comic book superhero. He first appeared in Action Comics #1 published on April 18, 1938. Flying over skyscrapers in full costume with Lois Lane in his arms is as classic as comic book imagery gets.

Shock Gibson

Props to Spider from NGT for suggesting it's Shock Gibson. I can definitely see where he's coming from there. Shock Gibson first appeared in Oct. 1939. The color scheme of the character's costume, and story arc, draw parallels to things happening in the game.

Hawkman

The helmet on this superhero reminds me very much of Hawkman's helmet. Hawkman first appeared in Flash Comics #1 published in January 1940. Hawkman is the reincarnation of an ancient Egyptian Prince who had discovered that the mysterious named "ninth metal" could negate the effects of gravity and allow him to fly. He donned Icarus-like wings to help him control his flight. Hawkman also uses ancient weapons from artifacts at the museum he curates at. That all sounds similar to stuff in our game, right.

Captain Marvel

The whole costume and look definitely reminds me of Captain Marvel aka Shazam the most. Captain Marvel first appeared in Whiz Comics #2 published in February 1940. Whenever young Billy Batson speaks the wizard Shazam's name "SHAZAM!", he is then struck by a magic lightning bolt and transformed into "Earth's Mighiest Mortal" and empowered with the abilities of six archetypal, historical figures.

I

- Mix

Ok, I've been doing some reading on this. Remember how "Al" was originally announced as "Arthur" Arlington? Then he was suddenly referred to as "Al", which seemed weird because "Al" is not typically used to abbreviate "Arthur". According to wikipedia, two artists associated with Shock Gibson are Al Avison and Arthur Cazeneuve. These are two of only three artists given besides the creator, and the third is a suspected pseudonym.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shock_Gibson

Also, one of the villains that appeared in Shock Gibson comics was "Baron Von Kampf"

http://www.herogoggles.com/b-villains.html

"Baron Von Kampf is an evil genius aiming to take over the world. He is able to invent ray guns and other diabolical devices. [...] He returns in issue 11, teaming up with the master villain Comrade Ratski from issue 10. At this point, Von Kampf is hiding out in the Florida everglades. He has command of an army of "zombies."

It's hard to find info on this comic, but I also found a forum posting that says Von Kampf is a Nazi (which you would suspect with the name "Von Kampf"). So yeah... he's basically Richtofen.

http://forums.comicbookresources.com/ar ... 06746.html

Finally, "Shock Gibson" is public domain, so Treyarch could easily use him without having to worry about paying someone royalties or being sued.

So we've definitely got a lot linking up here. I think the implication is that Al/Arthur is the artist behind the comic book that is Zombies. Does that mean he created the characters? Saw into the future and drew them? I'm not sure. If he created them, is he the one ultimately in control? I don't have any answers, really, just things to consider.

Edit; By the way, I'm not sure the character is necessarily supposed to be Shock Gibson. It's possible that Treyarch just intentionally made it look enough like Shock Gibson that we would make the connection to Al and Arthur, who were artists for a comic book about a mad Nazi scientist who invented Rayguns and other "devices" (or wonderweapons) and controlled an army of zombies.

Does someone else think that Al has "powers".? I mean, the entire map and events... They are as The Weasel would like them. Everything he draws become real.

Build the plane, escape the island, go to the afterlife. Everything of this is written by Al.

Shock Gibson has electric powers, we have them too in the afterlife as, Megaton A said.

Electric Cherry, the only perk that isn't "corrupted", Al created it! One of the characters said "How did this thing get here?" as if he knew about it before, maybe from Al's drawings!

The dogs, too. I think Sal says that they are the same dogs that Al drew.

I'ts like... The Alcatraz Weasel dreams about.

Satan knows that he has very high potential, that's why he gives them futuristic perks, (40's in the 30's) and that's why they are "corrupted", futuristic weapons, hell equipment like the tomahawk and the Blundergat that spawns on the Guard's table.

Everything fits!

• 4 weeks later...

I'm pretty sure that the superhero is just supposed to be a made up character. On the superhero's chest - you can see there is a sun. Arlington named the plane "Icarus", as he knew it would always get struck down (Icarus crafted wax wings to fly, but they were melted from the sun).

Superhero's got a sun on his chest - I'd just call him "Icarus"... not shock gibson, or any other trademarked name. We know that Arlington did the drawing, we know that he is familiar with the tale of Icarus. In the end - the real question is... what does it all mean? Icarus did not listen to advice, and thus - drowned. I'm still trying to figure out how the tale of Icarus ties in on a larger scale.

It's just an original drawing by Albert Arlington. He named his hero Icarus from Mars. A flying alien with a symbol on his chest hmm? Sounds like Arlington's drawing was inspiration for the creation of Superman in this universe. He also has similarities to other heroes but I don't think it's fair to call him Shock Gibson when he's not.

I'm pretty sure that the superhero is just supposed to be a made up character. On the superhero's chest - you can see there is a sun. Arlington named the plane "Icarus", as he knew it would always get struck down (Icarus crafted wax wings to fly, but they were melted from the sun).

Superhero's got a sun on his chest - I'd just call him "Icarus"... not shock gibson, or any other trademarked name. We know that Arlington did the drawing, we know that he is familiar with the tale of Icarus. In the end - the real question is... what does it all mean? Icarus did not listen to advice, and thus - drowned. I'm still trying to figure out how the tale of Icarus ties in on a larger scale.

SO far that makes the most sense to me, the only reason I comment is because of the fact that Icaris drowns, and as I've said for weeks it looks like the jump scare guy is under water (save the image and search for sililar in google, you get nothing but aquatic images minus the other jump scare pictures from the game) so perhaps this jump scare guy has something to do with the plane? I havnt made it very far in the one day I got to play on my friends xbox so are there any plane parts in the area with the jump scare? Might be a place to start.

• 2 months later...

I have a statements and questions to those that say its "Icurus",Icurus is the name of the plane which al created,yes it is like this comic bok character who drowns but,wouldnt it just be the name for the plane, not the character al made with the editors comments on it....explain how in shocks comic he meets a mad scientist who makes "rayguns" and has n army of zombies,very similar to Richtofen/Maxis,plus something they didnt mention is how the scientist also has 3 dogs that go after shock,similar to the cerburus or maybe fluffy

• 1 month later...

In Origins I found a piece of paper that looks to be part of a picture, similar to the Shock Gibson one. At generator 2, in the tank station, Go up the ramp ( closest to the box location), look behind the pipe on the right side. This is the only one I've seen, but I haven't really looked around.

• 1 month later...