Cerberus and The Portal to Hell

• Administrators

There are so many interesting features that we've never seen before in Zombies. If you have played Mob of the Dead (I mean, who hasn't?), then you know what I mean when I say the name "dogs". More specifically, the ones we presume are Hellhounds - at least to some great extent.

But what if I told you that it was more than just a hellspawn?

Cerberus - Watchdog of Hades

Cerberus was a vicious beast that guarded the entrance to Hades and kept the living from entering the world of the dead. According to Apollodorus, Cerberus was a strange mixture of creatures: he had three heads of wild dogs, a dragon or serpent for a tail, and heads of snakes all over his back.

Any interesting concept about Cerberus is its name that most people have called it by - the Hellhound. Greek mythology claims that Cerberus could and would devour the souls of the dead who dwelled in the Underworld as a form of punishment and even ate any daring mortal who somehow unfortunately stumbled across the entrance. Depictions of Cerberus were often mangled in thought to believe that the hellspawn had more than three heads, but 50 (according to the poet Hesiod). Of course, to this day we still grasp the three-headed dog concept.

Interestingly enough, the Homeric literature refers to a dog who guards Hades' entrance but refers to him simply as 'a dog' and not 'Cerberus, the three-headed dog'. Hesiod, in 7th - 8th century B.C., refers to the creature as being fifty-headed. He also states that he was a son of Typhon and Echidna. Typhon was a winged giant bearing a tail of a snake who could control and command the storms. He was the son of Gaia, mother earth of the Greek myths. Echidna, on the other hand, is a half-woman-half-serpent monster in the Greek tradition, who had supposedly mothered all the monsters appearing in the mythology. Some of the later sources describe Cerberus as having three canine heads, a dog's body, a mane made of snakes and a dragon's tail. This kind of composition makes the creature appear extremely monstrous and fierce. But this kind of representation fits perfectly owing to the kind of tasks that the creature is assigned with. Legend says that Cerberus was so dreadful to behold that anyone who tried to look at him with a bare eye, was turned instantly to stone.

Notice the portal that the Hellhound comes from. This portal does not remain after "Cerberus" leaves, nor do we even see it prior to its entrance. The portal it comes out of itself, however, is Hell. Once the heads are fed (ah, a rhyme!), they seal the portal from whence they came as to lock it for good. There is more information about another interesting possible entryway to Hell here:

http://www.callofdutyzombies.com/forum/ ... 49&t=31099

But the discussion remains on how this beast comes into the map in terms of appearance and entrance. In order to break through the mortal world, it derives a portal leading into our dimension via these portals. Could this also be a way into Hell itself, and further prove a satanic play of Hades/Lucifer in this scenario? Let's continue.

As mentioned above, Cerberus is the hound of Hades with three heads. He is Hades' most loyal companion and servant. Some classical sources state that these heads represent three phases of human life, viz. infancy, youth and old age. Another theory says that the three heads of the hell-hound symbolize the past, the present and the future. It has been mentioned that Cerberus fed on raw meat of the humans and so he ate all those mortals who dared to cross the Styx in order to enter the realm of Hades. In a way, Cerberus stands for the sharp line of distinction between the world of the mortals and the world of the dead. The myth of Cerberus attempts to highlight the fact that life and death are two distinct concepts which can never overlap with one another. If any such effort is made by any individual, he may have to face grievous consequences for the same. This also applies to the dead and their souls that reside in the underworld.

But how does Cerberus tie-in to zombies exactly? Well, let's assume that the soul of zombies departs from its shell - aka reanimated body - and is dispersed into whatever afterlife is chosen for their haven. We know that the element 115 is also extracted as a result from them being "dead again". When we look into Mob of the Dead, however, there is a different approach to look at since 115 is not as expansive as it is the latter story:

Cerberus was the guard to the gates of hades, sometimes described as a dog or a wolf and the original “hound from hell”. Cerberus had three heads & its said a serpents tail, like the Chimera it was said to be the offspring of Echidna and the Dragon Typhon. This creature crops up not only in greek myth but also in ROMAN myth. Said to have been placated with honeyed cakes mourners would place them in coffins to appease the beast. Any spirit attempting to leave hades was said to have been torn apart by the savage guardian.

Source: http://atrueott.wordpress.com/2010/06/04/cerberus-guarding-the-gates-of-hell/

What is being visualized here is simple: when the zombies are killed once more underneath the head of this confounded beast, their body and soul is sucked into the ferocious fangs of the Hellhound. It could be that the dogs are hungry, but would you ever consider that it was also a way to retrieve back the soul of the undead as to not allow them to leave? The souls cannot leave the Earthly grounds and it is by duty that the Hellhounds - or Cerberus - devour the last remnants of the zombies' souls as to never allow them to leave Hell.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrators

So I want to bring something up here. We all know the story of Fluffy so I won't get into detail, but I want to know the chances of this Cerberus being Fluffy, or something of the likes. We know the Hellhounds appear in plenty of maps, some people believing them to be the offspring of Fluffy, but do you believe that this is true or are the Hellhounds just replications of the same dog, Fluffy?

Dr. Maxis: Come back here! Samantha. Stop her! Easy. Come here Samantha. Good girl. Gently Samantha. That's not Fluffy anymore. We must get out of here.

• Administrators

So I want to bring something up here. We all know the story of Fluffy so I won't get into detail, but I want to know the chances of this Cerberus being Fluffy, or something of the likes. We know the Hellhounds appear in plenty of maps, some people believing them to be the offspring of Fluffy, but do you believe that this is true or are the Hellhounds just replications of the same dog, Fluffy?

Dr. Maxis: Come back here! Samantha. Stop her! Easy. Come here Samantha. Good girl. Gently Samantha. That's not Fluffy anymore. We must get out of here.

The Hellhounds we encounter on the variety of maps seem to be of the same parent object (in this case, Fluffy). We know that she was pregnant when Samantha first received her, and it is very possible that these Hellhounds were the result of her pregnancy. I wouldn't think that they'd be replications on that end.

Fluffy being Cerberus? Unless Fluffy was sent backwards in time and became altered to the point where she had three heads and look a bit...hellish then usual.

It does not look the same, but it could be because the original Fluffy is supposed to look different than her offspring. Then again, I'm not exactly a fan of this idea; Cerberus just seems to be its own form and not based off something else like Fluffy. But I will take this into heavy consideration and see if I can research a connection between Fluffy and Cerberus. :)

Excellent work here InfestLithium. This is Asylum worthy, IMO.

With the Icarus connections, I think it's definitely worth investigating to see what other Greek mythologies might be present in this map.

I'm not convinced yet that the hellhounds and this Cerberus head are different from each other as far as in-game models go. Guess I'll need to see more side by side footage. But I assume the Cerberus heads are the same model as the hellhounds, just scaled up.

Is it just me, or does this illustration have the illusion of dual images in it?

Do you see an Old Woman or a Young Lady?

I see a wolf's head for sure. But if I look at it another way I see a devil/werewolf face with horns and a goatee, smiling at me.

This discussion reminds me of the Cerberus named "Fluffy" from Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone Sorcerer's Stone

This is one of the many reasons why churches in America were burning this children's book, saying it's filled with occult satanic references.

Great discussion guys. This is the type of stuff in Zombies I love most.

- Mix

No worries just something I thought I'd ask, my curiousity got the best of me. So that means that as of now, we have still yet to actually see Fluffy, just her offspring, yes?

Since I am forced to admit Fluffy is not Cerberus, it may be worth pointing out that it may be the Fluffy was to Samantha as Cerberus was to Lucifer.

• Administrators

Is it just me, or does this illustration have the illusion of dual images in it?

Do you see an Old Woman or a Young Lady?

I see a wolf's head for sure. But if I look at it another way I see a devil/werewolf face with horns and a goatee, smiling at me.

The general shape looks like a 6-pointed star to me.

Excellent work here InfestLithium. This is Asylum worthy, IMO.

With the Icarus connections, I think it's definitely worth investigating to see what other Greek mythologies might be present in this map.

I'm not convinced yet that the hellhounds and this Cerberus head are different from each other as far as in-game models go. Guess I'll need to see more side by side footage. But I assume the Cerberus heads are the same model as the hellhounds, just scaled up.

- Mix

Infest Lithium, I really do think you are on to something. I remember in another thread, I asked if there were going to be any more Classical references in MotD given the fact that we have a character named Brutus, a plane named Icarus, and then including them in a story featuring an Italian character, possibly two(Is Billy Italian? I know Sal is). And you have answered my prayers! Now all we need is some Latin and Greek writing and we will have the full package :lol: !

Anyway , when I look at the picture above me, the heads on the left and right almost look as if they are attached to the same body.

Notice how the left and right head is slightly angled. Think about it, if they weren’t on the same body, why would the left and right head be titled? They would be facing us in straight position, like the center head. I believe it is because they can’t be centered. The center head is literally the "center head".

This discussion reminds me of the Cerberus named "Fluffy" from Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone Sorcerer's Stone

This is one of the many reasons why churches in America were burning this children's book, saying it's filled with occult satanic references.

- Mix

That was the first thing to come to mind for me. :mrgreen:

I also thought it was ironic that Hagrid's pet was named fluffy too.

I can't help but imagine it like this now though.

A row of three orange portals on a wall with a cerberus's heads through each, and the heads poking out and chomping through three scattered blue ones. :mrgreen:

This is a really nice thread! You've shown that there is a lot of mythological symbolism in Zombies lately, as well as some obvious biblical ones (tower of babble). This and the general satanic atmosphere of MotD and zombies in general lately really gives me the uneasy feeling that some serious wrath of god S#&@ is on the way.

• 1 month later...

I havent read the entire post or the comments, but i got to post this before the idea gets off my mind xD.

Look at the blundergat, it has a bunch of snake like things behind de sights, and when you upgrade it to the sweeper it has a beast below the sights.

That fits with the description a little bit right? Sorry if this was just a stupid rant xD

I havent read the entire post or the comments, but i got to post this before the idea gets off my mind xD.

Look at the blundergat, it has a bunch of snake like things behind de sights, and when you upgrade it to the sweeper it has a beast below the sights.

That fits with the description a little bit right? Sorry if this was just a stupid rant xD

Always thought that was a dragon...the ears (or lack of) don't look anything like a dog/wolf. Reminds me a bit of the WW from Shangri la but I doubt they have any comparable qualities other than the look.

Always thought that was a dragon...the ears (or lack of) don't look anything like a dog/wolf. Reminds me a bit of the WW from Shangri la but I doubt they have any comparable qualities other than the look.

The Blundergat is a cross between a Blunderbuss & a Gatling gun.

It has Dragons on it. Google (image search) Blunderbuss or Dragon Blunderbuss and you can see the origins of it. There are some cool looking concept or Steampunk versions too.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blunderbuss

• 3 months later...

This is why I love MOTD.

There is no denying the Hell theme anymore.

I remember when I was very alone on that one.

Top thread.

@RDB:

In Greek mythology, the three-headed watchdog who guards the entrance to the lower world, the Hades. It is a child of the giant Typhon and Echidna, a monstrous creature herself, being half woman and half snake.

Regards Alpha.

This is why I love MOTD.

There is no denying the Hell theme anymore.

I remember when I was very alone on that one.

Top thread.

@RDB:

In Greek mythology, the three-headed watchdog who guards the entrance to the lower world, the Hades. It is a child of the giant Typhon and Echidna, a monstrous creature herself, being half woman and half snake.

Regards Alpha.

In this one story of the many layers of hell, there is a description of satan consisting of three wolf-heads each munching on one of the three most condemned men in history, one of which was brutus the friend of Julius Caesar who betrayed him... I believe the writer's name was don-tae or something.. I'm sorry I can't remember :oops:

In Dante’s Inferno, Satan is portrayed as a giant demon, frozen mid-breast in ice at the center of Hell.

Satan has three faces and affixed under each chin are pairs of bat-like wings. As Satan beats his wings, he creates a cold wind which continues to freeze the ice surrounding him, and the other sinners in the Ninth Circle.

The winds he creates are felt throughout the other circles of Hell. Each of his three mouths chew on Judas, Brutus, and Cassius. Scholars consider Satan to be “a once splendid being (indeed the most perfect of God’s creatures) from whom all personality has now drained away.”

Satan, also known as Lucifer, was formerly the Angel of Light and once tried to usurp the power of God. As punishment, God banishes Satan out of Heaven to an eternity in Hell as the ultimate sinner.

Dante illustrates a less powerful Satan than most standard depictions; he is slobbering, wordless, and receives the same punishments in Hell as the rest of the sinners. In the text, Dante vividly illustrates Satan’s grotesque physical attributes.

Satan is trapped in the frozen central zone in the Ninth Circle of Hell, Inferno, Canto 34.

The Emperor of the kingdom dolorous. From his mid-breast forth issued from the ice. And better with a giant I compare. Than do the giants with those arms of his. Consider now how great must be that whole. Which unto such a part conforms itself. Were he as fair once, as he now is foul. And lifted up his brow against his Maker. Well may proceed from him all tribulation. O, what a marvel it appeared to me. When I beheld three faces on his head! The one in front, and that vermilion was.

@Stop mocking me0, I think you mean Dante, but good catch.

Thanks for that.

Here is a bit more from Dante:

Still journeying toward the center of the Ninth Circle of Hell, Dante becomes aware of a great shape in the distance, hidden by the fog. Right under his feet, however, he notices sinners completely covered in ice, sometimes several feet deep, contorted into various positions. These souls constitute the most evil of all sinners—the Traitors to their Benefactors. Their part of Hell, the Fourth Ring of the Ninth Circle, is called Judecca.

Dante and Virgil advance toward the giant, mist-shrouded shape. As they approach through the fog, they behold its true form. The sight unnerves Dante to such an extent that he knows not whether he is alive or dead. The figure is Lucifer, Dis, Satan—no one name does justice to his terrible nature. The size of his arms alone exceeds all of the giants of the Eighth Circle of Hell put together. He stands in the icy lake, his torso rising above the surface. Gazing upward, Dante sees that Lucifer has three horrible faces, one looking straight ahead and the others looking back over his shoulders. Beneath each head rises a set of wings, which wave back and forth, creating the icy winds that keep Cocytus frozen.

Each of Lucifer’s mouths holds a sinner—the three greatest sinners of human history, all Traitors to a Benefactor. In the center mouth dangles Judas Iscariot, who betrayed Christ. In the left and right mouths hang Brutus and Cassius, who murdered Julius Caesar in the Roman Senate. Brutus and Cassius appear with their heads out, but Judas is lodged headfirst; only his twitching legs protrude. The mouths chew their victims, constantly tearing the traitors to pieces but never killing them. Virgil tells Dante that they have now seen all of Hell and must leave at once.

Putting Dante on his back, Virgil performs a startling feat. He avoids the flapping wings and climbs onto Lucifer’s body, gripping the Devil’s frozen tufts of hair and lowering himself and his companion down. Underneath Cocytus, they reach Lucifer’s waist, and here Virgil slowly turns himself around, climbing back upward. However, Dante notes with amazement that Lucifer’s legs now rise above them, his head below. Virgil explains that they have just passed the center of the Earth: when Lucifer fell from Heaven, he plunged headfirst into the planet; his body stuck here in the center. According to Virgil, the impact caused the lands of the Southern Hemisphere to retreat to the North, leaving only the Mountain of Purgatory in the water of the South. Dante and Virgil climb a long path through this hemisphere, until they finally emerge to see the stars again on the opposite end of the Earth from where they began.

Iknow I've posted it before, but it is always worth showing this to the new crowd:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4eajk8jxJQ

Y4eajk8jxJQ

Regards Alpha.