Brutus -- A Foe to Both Sides

Brutus, as most know, is the guard that constantly attacks our four mobsters (M4?) at Mob of the Dead. The thing that makes him stand out on the map is not his hulking size or ability to put you in the red with one hit. It’s his sense of self. We’ve never seen this in a zombie. Sure, George obviously communicated and knew who he was. But he had just turned and the zombieness hadn’t taken full effect. Brutus, on the other hand, looks to have been turned for a while and is a full zombie.

So why does this matter? Who cares if Brutus communicates with us in any way? Well I sure do. I want you to consider the quotes that Brutus states as you attack him. “Why do you hurt me? I’m stuck here just like you.” There are others, but those are two that I remember best and no one online seems to have a compilation of Brutus quotes up yet. This makes it sound like Brutus does not want to do this, but is being required to. He doesn’t want to hurt you, so why are you hurting him? He doesn’t want to be here, but he’s stuck here just like us. So what can we make of this?

1. Brutus has a sense of self. He recognizes who he is.

2. He is not doing this out of desire, but out of requirement.

So if Brutus is doing this, then who’s making him? Well for the longest time I’ve thought Maxis is evil, and I still do, but at this point in the story, I believe that it is Satan that is in charge of the zombies. We’ve heard his announcements in Grief and he’s definitely if not Satan, an extremely powerful demon. For this, I will call him Satan. So Satan is in control of the zombies. Evil has spread throughout this place. But then we have Brutus, one of Satan’s loyal subjects…or so he thought.

Brutus is not happy with Satan. He wants the power. He feels he is better and that the world would be better with him in charge. Note that his version of better would be more destruction and death. The problem is that Brutus has no way of gaining power. He cannot just steal the power away from Satan. He needs something else. He needs a person.

Now before continuing, I want to note the similarities between Brutus in zombies and Brutus from Julius Caesar. Brutus was Caesar’s man. Brutus acted just like a great servant and friend would. Then the day came for the assassination and Brutus plunged the sword into Caesar. Caesar, in shock, uttered the famous words “Et tu Brute?” The same can be said of our Brutus in Mob of the Dead. He has a goal to betray Satan, but it has not fully hatched yet. At least, not at this time period.

I was playing Die Rise the other day before Mob of the Dead came out and I was Samuel. It was interesting to hear the voices in his head saying their mumbled words. Once Mob of the Dead launched, I had a chance to encounter Brutus. Immediately, I noticed a striking similarity in the voices in Samuel’s head and Brutus’ voices. If you have not taken the time to listen to them, you should check them out. I searched for any footage on YouTube, but could not find any of either of them. To add to that trouble, my capture card software is not on my new laptop.

So let’s venture out into the great unknown for a bit. Let’s say that Brutus wants the power, but cannot take it away from Satan. He doesn’t have the ability to take it by himself. But a man comes and touches and ancient artifact. This ancient artifact has a demonic presence within it that can give a person omnipotence. This is what Brutus desired, but could not achieve since he is only a demon, not a person. But this man comes and touches the device. Now, due to touching this device, he can hear the voices on the demons. All these voices screaming into his ears. This man begins to go insane. Then, he hears a voice. A voice he understands. Only a demon of great power could be understood. That demon was Brutus.

If you haven’t caught on yet, that man is Dr. Richtofen. What I’m suggesting with this thread is that Brutus is one of the voices in Richtofen’s head. Brutus tells Richtofen what to do to gain power, not so Richtofen will have it, but so Brutus can use Richtofen to, in a sense, have the power himself. Brutus stabs Satan by leading Richtofen to the point to where he could take over the zombies. But then, a little girl gets in the way.

So why not just let Samantha have control? Satan no longer has control, so isn’t Brutus’ plan complete? Not even close. Brutus wants the power. Brutus wants to destroy the world his way. He wants what Satan had. But Samantha doesn’t want that. She only wants to stop the men working with Group 935. The rest of the world can live in peace with her in charge. So Brutus leads Richtofen through the steps to get him into the place that Samantha is. When that occurs, Brutus achieves his goal.

Samantha knows Brutus’ intentions and Satan’s for that matter. She knows the demonic forces that lie behind what she is covering up. She fights to keep control. This is another reason that she continually attacks the O4. She wants to stop the plan from being enacted. Samantha wasn’t joking when she said that something far more evil lied there. It did, and it was demonic. Kevin Sherwood hints at this in Paredolia, where he hides the lyrics “Save me Moses, Satan la vue.” Most sources I’ve seen have stated that Satan la vue translates roughly to “I’ve seen the devil.” Samantha has seen the evil that lurks behind her. She knows what she is trying to fight to keep away from the world. She knows she’s not strong enough. So she’s crying out to Moses to save her from this situation. Why Moses? My theory is she’s Jewish, or else she would cry out to Jesus. But that’s a topic for another post.

But why do I say he is a foe to both sides? I strongly believe that Brutus is not a friend of the human race. He’s using Richtofen to get what he desires. But he is also not a friend of Satan. He betrays him and leads to his dethronement.

So my theory is, in short, Brutus is one of the many voices in Richtofen’s head. Due to his power, he is the strongest and most easily heard voice to Richtofen. Richtofen follows it. Brutus wants Satan’s perch in control of the zombies. He is not stronger than Satan, so he must use an intermediary, in this case Richtofen. With Richtofen in control, Brutus is in control.

What does everyone think? I wish I had video evidence for this, but you’ll have to go in game for that. I just don’t have the ability at this moment to get a captured video of any quality. Thanks for reading!

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very, very nice Fated! I to believed that satan controlled the zombies but no one thought that that could be true but you made a great detailed analysis.

I think we have a winner...

But seriously, amazing theory. I think it's safe to assume that your theory is correct, and I have some additional info you might want to add.

Having my fair share of encounters with Brutus, I've heard him say an interesting quote;

"This is MY prison!"

I'm sure you've seen this already as well, but there are several newspaper clippings on a bulletin board in the Warden's Office with pictures of Brutus. And what's the headline of said picture? -SPECT WARDEN.

Obviously the first word is cut off, but Warden is pretty clear. Before jumping to conclusions, let's look at some evidence:

1. According to one of the trailers, Treyarch said that the Warden would collect civil war weapons and is the creator of the Blundergat. Billy Handsome supports this theory when he says that he smuggled the weapons from the warden's "private collection." So now we know that the warden has a collection of civil war weapons.

2. There are dozens of candles littering the warden's office, blood smeared on the windows and cryptic messages written on the walls. The state of the office greatly resembles a Satanic ceremony, so for now we can presume that the warden is a Satanist.

Now put all the pieces together: Could Brutus in fact be the warden? There is minimal evidence, but it adds to the theory: Brutus (the warden) wants power over the undead, so he starts Devil Worship in his office and starts to go crazy trying to achieve power, and is eventually turned into one of Satan's minions and his plans all go wrong.

Again, just a theory, but I thought I'd share it with you.

But seriously, amazing theory. I think it's safe to assume that your theory is correct, and I have some additional info you might want to add.

Having my fair share of encounters with Brutus, I've heard him say an interesting quote;

"This is MY prison!"

I'm sure you've seen this already as well, but there are several newspaper clippings on a bulletin board in the Warden's Office with pictures of Brutus. And what's the headline of said picture? -SPECT WARDEN.

Obviously the first word is cut off, but Warden is pretty clear. Before jumping to conclusions, let's look at some evidence:

1. According to one of the trailers, Treyarch said that the Warden would collect civil war weapons and is the creator of the Blundergat. Billy Handsome supports this theory when he says that he smuggled the weapons from the warden's "private collection." So now we know that the warden has a collection of civil war weapons.

2. There are dozens of candles littering the warden's office, blood smeared on the windows and cryptic messages written on the walls. The state of the office greatly resembles a Satanic ceremony, so for now we can presume that the warden is a Satanist.

Now put all the pieces together: Could Brutus in fact be the warden? There is minimal evidence, but it adds to the theory: Brutus (the warden) wants power over the undead, so he starts Devil Worship in his office and starts to go crazy trying to achieve power, and is eventually turned into one of Satan's minions and his plans all go wrong.

This is very interesting as well. The Warden obviously was a Satanist. There are rituals set up all over the prison. Now the Warden becoming Brutus...interesting. I'll have to think about it. I'm not saying it's wrong. In fact, it sounds good. But I'll have to think more on that before I decide.

Fun fact: My town was named after John C. Fremont. John C. Fremont was a confederate general who purchased "Evil Island" from the Native Americans for 5000 dollars. It was striped from him after the fact and used for confederate prisoners.

"This is MY prison!"

This is very interesting as well. The Warden obviously was a Satanist. There are rituals set up all over the prison. Now the Warden becoming Brutus...interesting. I'll have to think about it. I'm not saying it's wrong. In fact, it sounds good. But I'll have to think more on that before I decide.

I appreciate the support, MurderMachine. I know the theory lacks evidence, but it just seems weird that the warden has hung photographs of Brutus in his office. I feel like if we can get that writing solved on the walls then a lot more will be revealed...

• Administrators

First off, I want to say that this is very well written and I love every second of reading it, exceptional job you've done here. Now keep in mind that I have yet to play the game far enough to actually confront Brutus, so I know VERY VERY little about him. Just throwing that out there ahead of time. Now, onto my comments.

My original theory was that whoever the announcer in this map is, say Satan, is actually one of the voices in Richtofen's head. He was power hungry, and when Sam took over, he needed someone else to take over the pyramid so he could indirectly regain his power. We have very similar ideas, however this theory of yours is very plausible and I like it a lot, probably more than my own haha.

The name they chose is very interesting. Brutus is by no means a common name, so the parallel between the old Roman story makes perfect sense. Very well done, I'm intrigued to see if something more can be added into this once more is found out.

Could Brutus in fact be the warden?

This is what I think, I feel like he's the Warden. The Warden's office has some creepy creepy things in it and Brutus is the biggest and baddest Zombie around, so I think it fits.

I appreciate the support, MurderMachine. I know the theory lacks evidence, but it just seems weird that the warden has hung photographs of Brutus in his office. I feel like if we can get that writing solved on the walls then a lot more will be revealed...

I think MurderMachineX was referring to FatedTitan. However, that doesn't mean yours wasn't great, because I thoroughly enjoyed it. :)

Maybe the warden was not satanist but he could hear voices and it eventually turned him a bit crazy (a bit like dr. Yuri from ascencion) and the voices told him to do the ritual but the effect of the ritual was to put Brutus(the demon) in the warden's body.

Some trick the demon pulled to gain a body

• Administrators

This is very, very impressive friendo. It may lack a great deal of evidence in the latter portion of the theory, but it certainly connects well enough to not necessarily need it. Perhaps then we will see more of this Brutus "demon" later in the maps. Now that you mention it, it really does click in how he could be an integral part of the voices.

+1 and more, Fated. :)

I thought it was pretty spelled out that Brutus is the warden? The first time I ever encountered him in-game, my character said something to the effect of; "Uh-oh guys, here comes the warden!" I've definitely heard them refer to him as "The Warden" a few different times.

I thought it was pretty spelled out that Brutus is the warden? The first time I ever encountered him in-game, my character said something to the effect of; "Uh-oh guys, here comes the warden!" I've definitely heard them refer to him as "The Warden" a few different times.

Nope, He's a guard. He has an Alcatraz Guard badge!

But Samantha doesn’t want that. She only wants to stop the men working with Group 935. The rest of the world can live in peace with her in charge

Can't see this. I personally believe she has became corrupted from exposure from the Aether. I mean why would she attack (mentally) Yuri in Ascension? Unless he was a means to an end?

As for this satan thing, as much as I love the idea of it being Satan, I can't be the only one who thinks it is a tad cringy? I hope its an original Demon created by Treyarch! but whatever. Good theory but its a tad hollow on the evidence point of things.

Keep Slayin'

-Delta

Nope, He's a guard. He has an Alcatraz Guard badge!

But Samantha doesn’t want that. She only wants to stop the men working with Group 935. The rest of the world can live in peace with her in charge

Can't see this. I personally believe she has became corrupted from exposure from the Aether. I mean why would she attack (mentally) Yuri in Ascension? Unless he was a means to an end?

As for this satan thing, as much as I love the idea of it being Satan, I can't be the only one who thinks it is a tad cringy? I hope its an original Demon created by Treyarch! but whatever. Good theory but its a tad hollow on the evidence point of things.

Keep Slayin'

-Delta

Hey may have a guard badge, but if the characters specifically say he's "The Warden" then I think it's pretty safe to say that's who he is.

I like what you wrote except for the "Save Me Moses" part. Are you referring to Pareidolia backwards? I think you're trying to draw connections where there are none. In a sense, it's an auditory illusion, or an audio "pareidolia" if you will (though I'm sure that's not the term).

Otherwise, solid.

I don't remember who said what but here's two things.

1. Yes Samantha is good at heart. She has no intention to destroy the world, just the O4. Attacking anyone else in the story is a means to an end. The Five group is attacked because of their involvement in Group 935. Call of the Dead is attacked to stop the actors from getting the Vril Generator to the O4. Sam never just randomly attacks different groups. No where in the story do we see this. She just awakens zombies at certain points to stop the O4 or Group 935 agents.

2. Yes, I am referring to Paredolia backwards. I find it no coincidence that Paredolia can mean a hidden message when a song is played backwards and we have those words clear as day when it is played backwards.

3. I don't believe that Brutus entering the Warden or guard or whoever he is is Brutus' attempt at finding a human intermediary. I believe this occurred because of a Satanic ritual that occurred. Look at all the rituals set up on the map. Also, Brutus says that he's stuck here. If he can't accomplish his goal, then why stay? He is being forced to be something greater than him.

And thanks for all of the comments guys. You are right, there is a severe lack of evidence. I understand this. I can't exactly pull evidence that isn't there. My two pieces are that Brutus and the voices sound the same and Brutus has a sense of self and claims to not want to be there. Everything else is me trying to piece together a hidden puzzle. Everything could be wrong, and if so I'm ok with that. But I figured that the connection I did see was strong enough where I wanted thoughts on it. Perhaps if this is correct, Trollarch will provide more evidence soon.

Sorry bagel. I was talking about Fated. I think Fated's theory is very well done. I think your corollary is good too. However, I'm on the fence about it. It is possible both ways. I don't think there's enough evidence to prove that the Warden and Brutus are the same character besides just gut really. And until then, I think they should be listed as two separate characters.

Fated, I do not think any phrase backwards has any real significance. It's as clear as day. As really stormy, foggy, dark, humid, apocalyptic day.

The devs have stated that the Easter Egg songs play a part in the story. They mean something. And when the definition of Paredolia is a hidden message on a song when played backwards, I am pretty sure a hidden message in the song when played backwards was intentional and placed there for a reason. And if it had no significance, why wouldn't Kevin just make it say "Kevin Sherwood is amazing" or something. It has significance.

For those who haven't heard it, make your own opinions.

Mictlantecuhtli aka Lucifer aka Satan is in control of the zombies. Want Proof? Check my thread.

In the Colonial Codex Vaticanus 3738, Mictlantecuhtli is labelled in Spanish as "the lord of the underworld, Tzitzimitl, the same as Lucifer".

Brutus happens to be an extra tormented soul, every single one of the zombies in Alcatraz look tortured including Brutus. Brutus is definitely not the Warden. Perhaps Brutus is the "Head Guard" and his sole purpose is to further torture the zombies in the prison. He does seem to have a mind of his own.

Brutus sounds more like Napa from Dragon Ball Z than the voice from Die Rise.

I believe that Al aka "Weasel" sold his soul to the Devil, "Mictlantecuhtli" so he would live instead of die. Weasel knew what the other 3 were going to do that night. Weasel started the plan as of normal and then Satan took over, transforming the prison into hell itself so that the other 3 were forced to attempt to escape instead of kill weasel. Since in History, they were all meant to die, escaping the prison wasn't an option. So, every time they escaped they were forced to return. Now, if Weasel completed the contract with the Devil, which was killing the 3 himself then they cycle would be broken. Hence, that is exactly what happened.

Mictlantecuhtli aka Lucifer aka Satan is in control of the zombies. Want Proof? Check my thread.

In the Colonial Codex Vaticanus 3738, Mictlantecuhtli is labelled in Spanish as "the lord of the underworld, Tzitzimitl, the same as Lucifer".

Brutus happens to be an extra tormented soul, every single one of the zombies in Alcatraz look tortured including Brutus. Brutus is definitely not the Warden. Perhaps Brutus is the "Head Guard" and his sole purpose is to further torture the zombies in the prison. He does seem to have a mind of his own.

Brutus sounds more like Napa from Dragon Ball Z than the voice from Die Rise.

I believe that Al aka "Weasel" sold his soul to the Devil, "Mictlantecuhtli" so he would live instead of die. Weasel knew what the other 3 were going to do that night. Weasel started the plan as of normal and then Satan took over, transforming the prison into hell itself so that the other 3 were forced to attempt to escape instead of kill weasel. Since in History, they were all meant to die, escaping the prison wasn't an option. So, every time they escaped they were forced to return. Now, if Weasel completed the contract with the Devil, which was killing the 3 himself then they cycle would be broken. Hence, that is exactly what happened.

Ok, so what connection does Mictlantechutli have? You say he's basically Lucifer or Satan, so why not just call him that? Why must he be Mictlantechutli?

Ok, so what connection does Mictlantechutli have? You say he's basically Lucifer or Satan, so why not just call him that? Why must he be Mictlantechutli?

i'm going to hand this one over to Mix. Awesome theory Fated, almost sounds like this Brutus guy has "pure consciousness"... ;)

(Thanks to MrROFLWaffles and AlphaSnake for the image)

larger image: http://i1008.photobucket.com/albums/af2 ... titled.jpg

(MICTLANTEC)UHTLI BUBBLE GUM WRAPPER

The Bubble Gum wrapper is a reference to Bazooka Joe Bubble Gum.

"...uhtli" stands for Mictlantecuhtli

(Mictlantecuhtli statue in the Museo de Antropología in Xalapa, Mexico)

In Aztec mythology, Mictlantecuhtli is the God of the Undead, and the King of the Underworld. He is the Aztec equivalent to Lucifer. His descriptions fit that of a undead ghoul. Worship to Mictlantecuhtli can involve ritual cannibalism.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mictlantecuhtli