First Impression on Mob of the Dead/Alcatraz Island?

Tac

• Administrators

Hey guys! So this thread is made to consolidate all those "What I like and don't like about *insert map name*" threads that pop up after a map comes out, so this is where you can post all your first impressions and discuss everything you do and don't like! Make sure that it's constructive criticism, because Treyarch has openly admitted to reading our forum so this can help them out. Keep in mind that the Single Player team created this map, just like with Der Riese, so don't go blaming Jimmy and Rez for the things you don't like, just as a heads up. So yeah, go at it!!

*This thread will be unlocked when the map is released*

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lol I died round 5 because I couldnt find a suitable weapon (I found the remington but decided to open another door in case Id get a better weapon, ... Remington in the next room. Let's try next room? No weapon.. Too bad there is a bunch of zombies running in your back) but I did some exploring with a crawler and when you enter afterlife mode you lose all your cash (it stays with your character and you get it back when you go back to your body. Btw I think that means we can switch bodies if playing co-op?!

Time to try again and opening the other door in the first room :)

Edit: I also have my Die Rise Nav card :)

Btw I think that means we can switch bodies if playing co-op?!

Nope. There's a reason why the Character's name is right next to your points. It's to avoid that exactly. After you revive one of the 4 characters at the start, it becomes your main during that whole game.

Also, found out that the Electric Switches that lets you go into Afterlife mode won't count as a down. Found the Uzi all the way to the spiral stairs when you pass Double Tap and the Tommy Gun has a different name than the one in the Trailer.

I haven't seen more than 4 perks. Quick Revive is indeed gone, and I've only seen Electric Cherry, Juggernog, Speed Cola and Double Tap. Anyone seen Stamin' Up or anything else? That'd be cool. Can't wait to build the plane and go to the Golden Gate bridge to see what's up there.

I've only seen Electric Cherry, Juggernog, Speed Cola and Double Tap. Anyone seen Stamin' Up or anything else?

I've only seen two perks, the Electric Cherry and Deadshot. So yeah, other than that I've been wandering around getting "jumpscared" by those hanging bodies.

This map, I can't explain it but it feels unsettling to me. I don't feel "safe" I guess even when I see the zombie and its a crawler and I know its the only one left, I still feel like something is going to come up behind me. No other zombie map has made me feel "unsettled".

I found two unreachable perks on the docks (PhD Flopper, and what I believe to be Mule Kick) and I got the Death Machine out of the box, so heads up when buying the box. Also, I was watching YouTube and I don't remember which YouTuber it was, but one of them put the Ray Gun in the Acid Kit, so that means the Ray Gun is upgradeable in another way.

He also pulled a Death Machine from the box on his 2nd pull! WTF!

I think Flammen got the Death machine first go. It was like "DEATH MACHINE FROM THE BOX!!!!"

PHD Flopper appears aswell along with another Perk machine at the docks, although its another classic troll from the masters of deception. Well spotted Infest Lithium

I've been posting on my blog all the things that I've noticed / theories about things that I've seen but not confirmed if anyone is interested. Link is in my signature. I would re-post, but it's taken me ages to get all that on there this morning and CBA to repost at the moment. Sorry.

EDIT -- Looking back at the Boss Zombie, I think at the moment he appears when you do one of the following:

-- Activate A Perk Machine (using the Volt Meter / Power Gauge)

-- Randomly if you're using the box (possibly after x number of box pulls)

-- Activating certain actions on the map

The first 2 theories have come from watching Syndicate's gameplay.

Go To 9 minutes in the below

73MXj7C4ZRg

Go To 1 minute 10 in the below

cD-kPuPw4vs

The last theory from NGT Zombies as he appeared when they turned the washing machine on in the laundry

Go To 14 minutes in the below

BFHd0-FJRJI

Thoughts ? ? ?

Also, just noticed if you look at the second video I posted for Syndicate above, after he's downed, he has to pay 2000 points to unlock the machine before he can re-buy jug, so it actually cost's him 4500 points to get it back. That must be the Boss Zombie "Locking the Perk Machine Down". Go To 3:00 and watch the point consumption / message on the screen

I guess he has a similar effect on the box.

I really like the new weapons and the design of the map. Although I'm not a fan of the Purgatory mode. I really dislike that you have to turn on power to each perk, but I don't know if there is one main power source. Is there one? I've only have played 5 quick games. Still a lot to explore in the next couple of days.

This map has some potential to become a real classic, I think.

I love a lot of things about it. I like the new box and color of it, the wonder weapon seems cool, and the traps are neat too. Overall this map is awesome. Seems to not have any super good training spots, though.

Great map, but very confusing!

Managed to get to round 18 just but it ended on our second trip to the bridge due to the host having connection problems ffs!!!! I had an upgraded lsat and ray gun, jug, cherry and speed!

You have to find 5 fuel canisters for the plane in the same places as the parts to use it again, not so bad.

Liking the map alot, much more confusing than die rise was on day one!

Initial obsv's:

Complicated

I KEEP GETTING LOST! :lol:

Map looks like it might be huge.

Never had DLC on Day #1. It is outstanding.

This easily looks like the most diverse map we have seem for Zombies. Playabilitywise (yes, it is a word :) ).

Are we allowed *Spoilers* here or is there a better place?

Just finished playing the map for about 3-4 hours straight, taking a little break now

So far i am loving the map, got use to the map quicker than i thought i would, not as confusing as die riese. I haven't got a chance to look into them yet but story elements look really cool. Writing on wall and noticeboards ect.

Game-play wise i love it, getting death machine from the box was a fantastic surprise and I can't wait to P-A-P it. Plane was really fun to build, solving the puzzles to get each piece and working out how to open the door on the roof. Not having a power switch was strange at first but once I realized everything was permanently activated and there was levers that let you use the afterlife without losing perks I loved the new power mechanic.

Overall playing with 2 other friend it has been by far the most enjoyable first experience of a map pack I've ever had.

After just 5 minutes of play I realised that whilst a good map, it's a bit too easy.

The acid trap is going to be where the high rounds come from.....wall gun for ammo, easy kiting area, rinse and repeat.

Not sure really what to think, PAP is a pain in the arse, purgatory is OP....

I've only had 3 goes at this map so far with my highest round being 15. There are a few good places to train that I found right off the bat... Mainly the docks and the Acid Trap area. I get the feeling with the Tommy Gun on the docks and the sniper tower there that this will be one of the most used training spots.

That said... I loved the afterlife feature and having to power everything on individually was really cool and added a bit of a challenge. I don't think I'm the only one that truly felt trolled when I saw PHD Flopper and Mule Kick chilling outside the docks with no visible way to get to them.

Great fan of all the new guns. We finally get the AK-47 as a box weapon, the Uzi is on the wall and we get the Tommy Gun as well. Plus, if you didn't know already, we get the DEATH MACHINE back! Not as a drop anymore, but as a gun in the box! It is also able to be Pack a Punched apparently which I can't wait to do.

The new perk is called Electric Cherry, and I am quite liking it so far. It doesn't feel underpowered and if it appears in other maps I can see it becoming the next PHD.

Now, as for the actual map design, it is great. It feels very similar to a Black Ops 1 map. My first time playing it I felt a tinge of Verruckt coming through, with tight corridors and absolutely amazing sound effects. The map was quite unsettling and felt truly evil, which Treyarch I think was going for... Something dark and satanic. The skulls with the candles, the hanging bodies, the sound effects, the red eyes of the zombies mixed with the red mystery box, which has been redesigned as a chained-up coffin. Something else I noticed was the mystery box spawn spots no longer are boxes with the teddy bear, but seem to be crematoriums. Everything feels very evil and unsettling, which is exactly something to be looking for in a zombie map. This truly earned the name "The Evil Island", something Treyarch really wante to portray I think.

Now for the song, if you haven't heard it, just search it on YouTube, I'm sure Kevin Sherwood has it on his channel already. It is really short and sung by Malukah I believe, if you don't know of her search her name on YouTube for some epic video game music. It wasn't a song type that we've seen before, but it really added to the atmosphere of the map, and I am definitely a fan of it now. In the lyrics for the song (I had to look them up), Kevin Sherwood also through in a bunch of letters: a mix-up of the letter G, A, T, and C. Now if I've learned anything in school those Are the letters in DNA chains. If someone is more knowledgable on that, please check those letters out in the video. I know Rissole will probably do a song analysis so I won't talk more about it other than I pretty much only got that it talked about the situation of the mobsters on Alcatraz.

If you've wanted more maps like BO1, look now further, this adds a very scary atmosphere that I'm sure will remind many of the first time you played Verrukt in the dark.

Just had another go at this map...

The amount of times Sal breaks the fourth wall is unbelievably funny.

Example: (When getting double points) "Double points? This isn't a f***ing game!"

I think the best way to describe this map would be as an "out of body experience"