ADFGX cipher

Silver_Is_Pro

So does that mean we could try and use that 4x4 grid and place it within the 5x5? I read somewhere that the code in the square doesn't have to be written horizontally or vertically, it can be written in any order. upon making it that is.

No still has to be a 5x5. Its required for the 25 letters. "A-I/J-Z". Hes talking about breaking it down in a different way, then smacking it with a Cryptoquip method of replacing letters with other letters. In this case, A=?.

Example:

With most Cryptograms/Cryptoquips they give you the first letter, then you figure out the rest.

In our case, A=?. Techically, its saying A=Mob of the Dead. It may be the total amount of letters, associated with a letter in the alphabet. So, possibly A=L. Just a thought.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey, I was looking through Jimmy Z's old tweets for anything else and saw that he said something like "Damn you found my password" Maybe this is the keyword that we've been looking for. Here's a link if anyone's interested https://mobile.twitter.com/ZielinskiJim ... 7578255360 ---- it had something to do with his favourite maps in order ---- Briggzy

There was that one quote from nuketown zombies that Playthegameco posted.

http://www.yourepeat.com/watch/?v=RM445ZzEJic&feature=youtube_gdata

Richtofen said something like "My password is Teddy is a liar. Of course thats not true, that's why no one will figure it out" at the time everyone thought it was the password for the Der Riese server, but it was not. Maybe it can be used somewhere in this cyper. I dunno, I've never been to good with cypers

Hey, I was looking through Jimmy Z's old tweets for anything else and saw that he said something like "Damn you found my password" Maybe this is the keyword that we've been looking for. Here's a link if anyone's interested https://mobile.twitter.com/ZielinskiJim ... 7578255360 ---- it had something to do with his favourite maps in order ---- Briggzy

There was that one quote from nuketown zombies that Playthegameco posted.

http://www.yourepeat.com/watch/?v=RM445ZzEJic&feature=youtube_gdata

Richtofen said something like "My password is Teddy is a liar. Of course thats not true, that's why no one will figure it out" at the time everyone thought it was the password for the Der Riese server, but it was not. Maybe it can be used somewhere in this cyper. I dunno, I've never been to good with cypers

Ahh yes another password quote if this and things like the COTD map in Der reise were all planned this far ahead I wonder what we have overlooked. What an intricate web Treyach weave!

Okay, let's get this out of the way.

There are two things you need to solve this cypher.

Yes, the keyword is one of them, but you only have 6! combinations (assuming we are seeing one step before the final step of rewriting it once more) which is 720 combination.

These 720 combinations would cover any possible word you could think of, and here is why. The keyword is used only to be put into alphabetical order. (Example: POWERS becomes EOPRSW) This means that several words could give the same result as another word. (Example: WARDEN would become ADENRW, this would give the same result as if the code-word were just FAEBCD)

We can further deduce that the last two rows are in fact the first two letters of code-word since they have more letters in them (example: ZOMBIE becomes BEIOMZ) however, as we learned above that word would be the same as a similarly alphabetized word (Example ZOMBIE is the same as FEACB)

Using this assumption we can reduce the number of possibilities to 2! + 4! because we know there are only 2 possibilities for each of the first two positions and then there are 4 possibilities for each of the remaining 4 positions. This gives us 26 different "words" that could be used as key words.

If the keyword was the only thing we needed then this could be solved in minutes by a person. Let alone by a computer.

However, even if the codeword was ZOMBIES using it in the decoding method of an ADFGX cypher would yield

XF FF FF DG FF FG GA GG FG FA FX DD FF DG GD AX GD FG GF GG FF GX FF GF FD FF FF FX FA DX AX GG GX FF

As you can tell that's not solved. However, each letter pair represents a single letter, that's where the final decoding happens and where the cypher gets it's name

_|A|D|F|G|X|

A|A|B|C|D|E|

D|F|G|H|I|K|

F|L|M|N|O|P|

G|Q|R|S|T|U|

X|V|W|X|Y|Z|

That looks a little complicated but the way it goes is the first letter is XD so you find X down and F across. That letter would be X, if you continue to do this with all of the letters you will get XNNINOQTOLPGNIREROSTNUNSMNNPLKETUN.

Now as you can tell that doesn't look solved either. So what gives? The answer lies in the second level of encryption. X down and F across doesn't always have to be X. It can be any one of 25 letters (J is excluded and I is used for both J and I)

What this means is that there are 25 letters possible for the first spot and 24 for the second (because you can't have repeating letters) and 23 for the third. If you continue this method you have 25! different possible 5x5 squares.

That number is 15,511,210,043,330,985,984,000,000, or 15 septillion (or quadrillion in long scale for you Brits) and that's what makes this cipher so hard to crack. If it were merely guessing the right word we would have been done long ago.

This is of course assuming we are using an ADFGX and not an ADFGVX (which we assume because there are no V's but it doesn't make it impossible) this would give us a 6x6 grid and give us 3.7x10^41 or 37 tredecillion (or septillion in long scale) possible combinations.

So until you figure out this grid then we are a far cry from solving this thing.

Alternatively, if you know for sure that you have the correct keyword you can solve it down into any 5x5 square and solve it cryptoquip style.

For example: THE KING OF TOAST IS AWESOME would become (on my own random square) it would become AGFFFXXFFDDXGAFFXDDGFXXGXXADXFFDDFXXFFAFAAXXFD.

Now if I told you the keyword was ZOMBIE and you take that encryption and decode it with the square I have above (ABCDE...) it would become CVNMTWBXGCXKZCTZKLNZXHN

You then basically guess which letters become which other letters, if I space it out it becomes apparent that C=T V=H N=E and so on:

CVN MTWB XG CXKZC TZ KLNZXHN

THE KING OF TOAST IS AWESOME

However in the case of this cypher we do not know where the space belong, thus making this a very difficult nut to crack.

So does that mean we could try and use that 4x4 grid and place it within the 5x5? I read somewhere that the code in the square doesn't have to be written horizontally or vertically, it can be written in any order. upon making it that is.

No still has to be a 5x5. Its required for the 25 letters. "A-I/J-Z". Hes talking about breaking it down in a different way, then smacking it with a Cryptoquip method of replacing letters with other letters. In this case, A=?.

Example:

With most Cryptograms/Cryptoquips they give you the first letter, then you figure out the rest.

In our case, A=?. Techically, its saying A=Mob of the Dead. It may be the total amount of letters, associated with a letter in the alphabet. So, possibly A=L. Just a thought.

Someone try A=F.

What if the last two letters aren't part of the sequence at all?

Hey I was looking around the diary page and saw ( just below the cipher code) something catch my eye. From the corner of my eye it looked like a polybius grid . On closer inspection it wasn't but it was very similar apart from the fact it was 4x4, but I'm sure this was a clue left by Treyarch telling us were on the right trail. Just a bit of morale support for everyone there :)

Archived