ADFGX cipher

Silver_Is_Pro

Seeing as it seems like very little support is given to figuring this out, I thought I would post a few things on the forum about it and maybe we can collectively work together on it.

I will give you a few links to online cyphers and some pages that explain ADFGX ciphers and the difference between ADFGX and ADFGVX.

Here is the cipher from the video:

FFGXGD

GFFAGF

GGDDGF

FFXXFF

FDGFFG

FDGFFG

FDGGFF

FGFGAA

FXFXDX

XFXDGF

FAGGFF

AF

http://ruffnekk.stormloader.com/adfgx_tool.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ADFGVX_cipher

Personally I have been working on this since seeing it. I've been working closely with my zombie research team and we are trying to figure it out. Any help is accepted.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrators

A keyword is necessary to decode it. So we are missing a very important passphrase that will allow us to decode the Polybius string based on the matrix provided. On top of that, I believe this decoder is wrong because it relies on a 5x5 whereas we have a 6x6 dimension with the last sequence consisting of only two numbers.

I see that you understand that difference between the 5x5 and 6x6 (ADFGVX). If look up the ADFGVX cipher tool, it's quite hard to decode without that keyword. Here is the cipher tool I used:

http://courses.gdeyoung.com/pages/encryption/ADFGVX.php

It's much more simple than I imagined...any guess on what the keyword might be?

Yes. Exactly! If we only have ADFGX, then why would you use an ADFGVX cipher. If we can figure out the polybius square then its easier to decode the keyword and thus solving the cipher. But sadly its not that simple. :(

A standard matrix has the letters A-Z (except for i and j, they are combined into one to fit into the 5x5 square) written from left to right in the rows. I'd like to know some ideas for the matrix that you guys have used, (if you have tried) I've used a ton myself. I've even gone as far as sitting here hitting the randomize button for about 10 minutes straight trying to see if by that small ****ing chance I would get it.

Edit: Also it doesnt make a difference if you have the same letter repeat. For every time it appears in you matrix after it's first use you just skip it and move on.

• Administrators

We use a ADFGVX cipher because the sequences contain 6 letters per phrase.

FFGXGD

GFFAGF

GGDDGF

FFXXFF

FDGFFG

FDGFFG

FDGGFF

FGFGAA

FXFXDX

XFXDGF

FAGGFF

AF

That is crucial, because a 5x5 cannot decode a sequence that was originally encoded with a 6x6 matrix.

So do we definately know that we need a six letter keyword with know repeating letters? Good find on figuring out its a cipher code. :D

We don't exactly need a 6-letter word; just any keyword that can be used to decode it correctly. If you look at the link I previously posted, note that the example is a very short keyword but a lengthy phrase. Think of the keyword as the key, and the phrase being the door. If we don't have the correct keyword, then we cannot "open" the door.

That being said, we should really experiment with different keywords. We may not even know what that keyword is until we play the map ourselves. I have a feeling it's not too simple, but not extremely difficult once we find it.

we need to stop randomly guessing 6 letter words and figure this out what words would work in a situation like this and we have a scratched out word or picture above the cipher. also we need to think of what this could turn into its a cipher hiding from what im guessing has to do with escaping. since these are all plans to escape I'm sure the prisoners didnt want the warden or guards to find what they were planning.

• Administrators

we need to stop randomly guessing 6 letter words and figure this out what words would work in a situation like this and we have a scratched out word or picture above the cipher. also we need to think of what this could turn into its a cipher hiding from what im guessing has to do with escaping. since these are all plans to escape I'm sure the prisoners didnt want the warden or guards to find what they were planning.

Welcome to the community, friendo!

Indeed; this message was made to hide something quite important. In fact, probably more important than the steps or escape plan itself. Otherwise, why isn't the rest of the plan in the cipher or only diagrams?

We use a ADFGVX cipher because the sequences contain 6 letters per phrase.

FFGXGD

GFFAGF

GGDDGF

FFXXFF

FDGFFG

FDGFFG

FDGGFF

FGFGAA

FXFXDX

XFXDGF

FAGGFF

AF

That is crucial, because a 5x5 cannot decode a sequence that was originally encoded with a 6x6 matrix.

So do we definately know that we need a six letter keyword with know repeating letters? Good find on figuring out its a cipher code. :D

We don't exactly need a 6-letter word; just any keyword that can be used to decode it correctly. If you look at the link I previously posted, note that the example is a very short keyword but a lengthy phrase. Think of the keyword as the key, and the phrase being the door. If we don't have the correct keyword, then we cannot "open" the door.

That being said, we should really experiment with different keywords. We may not even know what that keyword is until we play the map ourselves. I have a feeling it's not too simple, but not extremely difficult once we find it.

This Is incorrect, we do need a 6 letter word because that's how the letters are broken up into 6 letter horizontally, it does not matter how many vertically. now it is a ADFGX cipher because of the letters in the encryption there is no v and yes you can use a 5x5 Polybius square to solve it,

here is an example

_ A D F G X

A a b c d e

D f g h j/i k

F l m n o p

G q r s t u

X v w x y z

So looking at this we can see that the letter pair AA=a AD=b AF=c and so on.

A keyword is necessary to decode it. So we are missing a very important passphrase that will allow us to decode the Polybius string based on the matrix provided. On top of that, I believe this decoder is wrong because it relies on a 5x5 whereas we have a 6x6 dimension with the last sequence consisting of only two numbers.

I see that you understand that difference between the 5x5 and 6x6 (ADFGVX). If look up the ADFGVX cipher tool, it's quite hard to decode without that keyword. Here is the cipher tool I used:

http://courses.gdeyoung.com/pages/encryption/ADFGVX.php

It's much more simple than I imagined...any guess on what the keyword might be?

OR... OR..

Is the decoder right but we're missing something?

I've been doing a lot of analysis on this subject for the past two days. Keep in mind, I'm an Intelligence Analyst and this is right up my ally.

I understand exactly how this cypher works. Unfortunately, we are missing "two" keys. Not just one. We need the correct sequence of the alphabet table. That's equally as important as the "keyword". Also its a keyword for each individual word..... not the whole thing. The key word unscrambles the word.... it won't work with each other word. Plus, the key word is exactly the same length as the word its decyphering.

So... unless every word is the exact same length, we need multiple keywords.

Its hard to crack.... its not simple... its German trench code from WWI. If its good enough for an actual World War we need a lot more than luck if we're to crack it.

I've been doing a lot of analysis on this subject for the past two days. Keep in mind, I'm an Intelligence Analyst and this is right up my ally.

I understand exactly how this cypher works. Unfortunately, we are missing "two" keys. Not just one. We need the correct sequence of the alphabet table. That's equally as important as the "keyword". Also its a keyword for each individual word..... not the whole thing. The key word unscrambles the word.... it won't work with each other word. Plus, the key word is exactly the same length as the word its decyphering.

Its hard to crack.... its not simple... its German trench code from WWI. If its good enough for an actual World War we need a lot more than luck if we're to crack it.

I've got a method and theory, and I want to know what you think of it.

The Keyword is irrelevant. The gave us our clue on how to solve it by leaving out null letters to even out the columns, therefore we can conclude that they the last two columns should in fact be the first two (with 2 combinations). That leaves us with the remaining 4. This can be arranged in 4! possible ways. (24 combinations) Combine that with the two and we have a possible 48 combinations for this code.

After converting into columns we can use any polybius square (mine is just a-z plain and simple) to convert it into letters.

We can then use generic decryption methods (like the ones grandmas use when solving the crptoquote in the newspaper. Unfortunately we won't have the benefit of spacing.

The only problem with this is that only 1 solution will work and 47 will not that will leave us a lot of time looking for something when there is nothing to be seen.

For example I reorder the original columns from 123456 to 561234 giving me:

GDFFGX

GFGFFA

GFGGDD

FFFFXX

FGFDGF

FGFDGF

FFFDGG

AAFGFG

DXFXFX

GFXFXD

FFFAGG

AF

Using my generic polybius square I got

rnu ssl tgn

nzo mso msn

mta ook pps

xwn ltc

I did my best to decrypt it from here and all I can get is

"to seen chood prepre or cappille buoncy"

or

"nsfee boys sp the the shout tilled as bor"

So I don't think this is the one, but I am determined to keep trying.

The Keyword is irrelevant. The gave us our clue on how to solve it by leaving out null letters to even out the columns, therefore we can conclude that they the last two columns should in fact be the first two (with 2 combinations). That leaves us with the remaining 4. This can be arranged in 4! possible ways. (24 combinations) Combine that with the two and we have a possible 48 combinations for this code.

After converting into columns we can use any polybius square (mine is just a-z plain and simple) to convert it into letters.

We can then use generic decryption methods (like the ones grandmas use when solving the crptoquote in the newspaper. Unfortunately we won't have the benefit of spacing.

The only problem with this is that only 1 solution will work and 47 will not that will leave us a lot of time looking for something when there is nothing to be seen.

GDFFGX

GFGFFA

GFGGDD

FFFFXX

FGFDGF

FGFDGF

FFFDGG

AAFGFG

DXFXFX

GFXFXD

FFFAGG

AF

rnu ssl tgn

nzo mso msn

mta ook pps

xwn ltc

or

Good thinking.

Here's the deal, located in the bottom right hand corner of the screen we have a 4x4 Grid. That is actually decrypted to "The Mob of the Dead ABCD" very simple decryption from Numeral - Alphabet code.

Nothing special, but what we do have is A = Mob of the Dead ABCD. So, with that said, maybe "A = M" for the standard Cryptoquip.

I'm actually working on my own thread at the moment about the significance of Alcatraz, so I would try to break it myself at this point but I really want to get this thread done before the nights over.

Good Luck, Sir.

Good thinking.

Here's the deal, located in the bottom right hand corner of the screen we have a 4x4 Grid. That is actually decrypted to "The Mob of the Dead ABCD" very simple decryption from Numeral - Alphabet code.

Nothing special, but what we do have is A = Mob of the Dead ABCD. So, with that said, maybe "A = M" for the standard Cryptoquip.

I'm actually working on my own thread at the moment about the significance of Alcatraz, so I would try to break it myself at this point but I really want to get this thread done before the nights over.

Good Luck, Sir.

GDFFGX

GFGFFA

GFGGDD

FFFFXX

FGFDGF

FGFDGF

FFFDGG

AAFGFG

DXFXFX

GFXFXD

FFFAGG

AF

rnu ssl tgn

nzo mso msn

mta ook pps

xwn ltc

or

So does that mean we could try and use that 4x4 grid and place it within the 5x5? I read somewhere that the code in the square doesn't have to be written horizontally or vertically, it can be written in any order. upon making it that is.

Archived