Date of Mob of the Dead 1941-1963

Hello everyone! With a new map comes a new discussion on the possible date, so I'd like to get that discussion going right now.

Now I know what you're thinking. Treyarch told us Shooter! It's prohibition era, which means it takes place sometime between 1920-1933. But let's look closer...

"Alcatraz has had so many different incarnations. We can start playing with the history there. So you got like the 1920's going into the 1930's, and the Prohibition Era going in there. That then breeds certain characters in that time period." - Jason Blundell. Executive Producer.

That time period. These mobsters we play as were a part of the prohibition/bootlegging period going on from 1920-1933, but that is not when our map is dated to. This sentence was referring to what the characters in the map are based off of. Need more proof?

"The United States Disciplinary Barracks on Alcatraz was acquired by the United States Department of Justice on October 12, 1933, and the island became a Federal Bureau of Prisons federal prison in August 1934. Alcatraz was designed to hold prisoners who continuously caused trouble at other federal prisons.[22] At 9:40 am in the morning of August 11, 1934, the first batch of 137 prisoners arrived at Alcatraz"

Alcatraz was not made into a federal prison until 1934. And how do we know Alcatraz was a US prison during Mob of the Dead. Simple.

UNITED STATES PENITENTARY

So there we have it, we're narrowing down the date. So it's PAST 1934.

But there's more...

Take a close look. What you'll notice on the right hand side is a Water Tower and a lighthouse. Let's narrow down that date more.

"As Alcatraz had no water supply of its own, it had to import it from the mainland, brought by tug and barge.[4] During the island's military years, there were in-ground water tanks and water tanks were situated on the roof of the citadel. The water tower was built in 1940–41 by the Federal Bureau of Prisons, after the island received a government renovations grant to supply the majority of the island's fresh water.

There we have it. So far, we can narrow down MotD's date to sometime PAST 1941.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcatraz_I ... ary_prison

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcatraz_Water_Tower

Many of you have reached the conclusion that MotD will be much like CotD, in that the actors are playing themselves in the map, as they film a movie at Alcatraz. These seems quite plausible considering the similarities. Now, if this is indeed true and the actors are playing themselves, this MUST mean the map is set somewhere in AT LEAST the 1980's based on Ray Liotta's age, if not much closer to the present day. Hell, Liotta wasn't even born until 1954.

As of right now, we aren't sure if they are indeed playing themselves, but if they are, we are looking at a much later date than 1941. I'm not gonna jump to any conclusions though until we recover more info.

Ok, let's try to clear things up here. Treyarch has chosen to do another celebrity based map. The only other time they have done this, was Call of the Dead. The new game mode, titled Mob of the Dead, bears a similar title to the map. Now this doesn't exactly mean these actors will play themselves on the map, but let's think about this.

Big thanks to PINNAZ for the pics:

Ray Liotta is "Billy Handsome"

Joe Pantoliano is "Al 'The Weasel' Arlington"

Chazz Palmentiri is "Salvatore 'Sal' DeLuca"

Michael Madsen is "Michael 'Finn' O'Leary"

As you can see, Treyarch has chosen to not only use these celebrities to voice the characters, but they've also used the actors to base the looks of characters, creating replicas of the actors themselves. In the comparisons, they do seem a bit younger, but it's hard to tell, but that's not important. What's important is that Treyarch has taken the time to recreate these actors entirely. Now the question. Would Treyarch really go through all the trouble of duplicating these actors head to toe, if we're not going to be playing as themselves in the map.

Logically, it seem like we will play as the actors themselves, much like we did in Call of the Dead.

It's still possible that Treyarch just decided to use these actors to model the players because they represent iconic faces in mobster pop culture. Seems unlikely to me, but possible.

Hate to break it to you guys,but the map features mobsters who were IMPRISONED in Alcatraz.Which means the map can be set in the time period of 1934-1963

If these are indeed not actors making a movie gone a stray, and the characters are actually prisoners from Alcatraz and not actors, then yes you're correct.

Let's keep digging people.

Shooter

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrators

Great discovery, friendo! Now the date has been narrowed down further for this map, and things are certainly starting to become sensible. :)

Don't forget about the Golden Gate Bridge, as seen in the top-left of the Alcatraz image:

Construction of the Golden Gate Bridge started in 1933. The bridge, which was designed by engineer Joseph Strauss was built to connect San Francisco with Marin County across the 1600 meter (+5000ft) wide strait known as the Golden Gate which links the San Francisco Bay with the Pacific Ocean.

Great discovery, friendo! Now the date has been narrowed down further for this map, and things are certainly starting to become sensible. :)

Don't forget about the Golden Gate Bridge, as seen in the top-left of the Alcatraz image:

Construction of the Golden Gate Bridge started in 1933. The bridge, which was designed by engineer Joseph Strauss was built to connect San Francisco with Marin County across the 1600 meter (+5000ft) wide strait known as the Golden Gate which links the San Francisco Bay with the Pacific Ocean.

In the trailer, is the bridge destroyed or under construction?

It appears to be unfinished to a certain degree, but the other image shows that it IS finished.

Perhaps the first image is of something different, and I may have mistaken it for part of the bridge. The Golden Gate Bridge was not completed until 1937.

well maybe this first picture that you showed is when the prison is being teared down or something like that.

Now, I'm kind of going out on a limb here, but let's assume that the zombie we saw at the start is indeed the former warden.

This friendly looking fellow

Now, I've looked it up, and only found one person related to the warden's position that remotely looks like this zombie. The person I found? E. J. Miller.

He's the dashing man in the middle.

Now, let's read his excerpt from Wikipedia:

He was the second Associate Warden of Alcatraz Federal Penitentiary under James A. Johnston in the late 1930s and 1940s, both men known for their strict discipline. Miller arrived on Alcatraz on June 23, 1934 as a Correctional officer, and by the end of the decade had been promoted to Associate Warden. Miller was Associate Warden during numerous escape attempts at Alcatraz. He was once challenged by Henri Young who complained to Miller that the Alcatraz rules which he and Johnston insisted upon were violations of Bureau of Prisons guidelines. Miller responded, “You don't run Alcatraz. I run Alcatraz", and later angrily refused Young a bible when he was in solitary confinement in D-Block. He departed Alcatraz in 1947

So, let's list some main facts about E.J. (not you, Electric Jesus).

1. He arrived in 1934.
    2. He left in 1947.
    3. He was an Associate Warden.
    3. He was present for many of the escape attempts. Something that our new crew was trying to do.

Thus, if this man is indeed the zombie we see here, then we have a possible time frame of 1934 - 1947.

• Administrators

No, PINNAZ posted the exact model of the Thompson used in the trailer and it was made/used/gained the most popularity in 1938. lol

Weapons are non-canon, so as long as they are not con-current. These would be exclusive guns such as the Wonder Weapons primarily on particular maps (ex. Scavenger on Call of the Dead, Shrink Gun on Shangri-la, etc).

It's a game, not EVERYTHING has to be real.

i think it's 1938.

Haha, so just pulling dates out of nowhere are we? :P

No, PINNAZ posted the exact model of the Thompson used in the trailer and it was made/used/gained the most popularity in 1938. lol

Guns have been proven multiple times to not be canon when determining a time frame for a map. There's too many contradictions. This has been proven on many occasions over the years.

If you wish to discuss this further, please PM me and I'll gladly explain it further. We need to stay on topic here.

BACK ON TOPIC

Now, I'm kind of going out on a limb here, but let's assume that the zombie we saw at the start is indeed the former warden.

This friendly looking fellow

Now, I've looked it up, and only found one person related to the warden's position that remotely looks like this zombie. The person I found? E. J. Miller.

He's the dashing man in the middle.

Now, let's read his excerpt from Wikipedia:

He was the second Associate Warden of Alcatraz Federal Penitentiary under James A. Johnston in the late 1930s and 1940s, both men known for their strict discipline. Miller arrived on Alcatraz on June 23, 1934 as a Correctional officer, and by the end of the decade had been promoted to Associate Warden. Miller was Associate Warden during numerous escape attempts at Alcatraz. He was once challenged by Henri Young who complained to Miller that the Alcatraz rules which he and Johnston insisted upon were violations of Bureau of Prisons guidelines. Miller responded, “You don't run Alcatraz. I run Alcatraz", and later angrily refused Young a bible when he was in solitary confinement in D-Block. He departed Alcatraz in 1947

So, let's list some main facts about E.J. (not you, Electric Jesus).

1. He arrived in 1934.
    2. He left in 1947.
    3. He was an Associate Warden.
    3. He was present for many of the escape attempts. Something that our new crew was trying to do.

Thus, if this man is indeed the zombie we see here, then we have a possible time frame of 1934 - 1947.

Good stuff. It's too early to tell, but this could very well prove true. And god I hope so, the closer we get to 1945, the more everything starts to add up. :lol:

Well by that logic the map could very well be in 2025 due to the LSAT, or the 1960s because of the Uzi.

*gasp*

Okay, back on topic, I do not like this post, but I don't know, I'm a bit skeptic.

This is why I love Treyarch. A lot of their fiction comes from truths. Like what the nazi's had going on with occult knowledge and trying to win the war with magick and stuff (and for those who are wondering, magick and magic are two different things. Aleister Crowley type stuff.) Anyway, Alcatraz is said to be a place where unspeakable things were happening to inmates. Some died by unexplained "ghostly" visions. And some talk of "medical experiments" taking place on the island. The American public remained ignorant to all this stuff (as they usually do) and scientists were able to get away with many things. They would look for inmates with no ties to the outside world (such as family, friends, siblings, etc.) and use them to learn more about the human body and brain. Oh and just another tid bit of info...it has been said that after WW2, nazi scientists were able to continue their experiments in the US because their knowledge seemed valuable to military and scientific (and possibly occultic) knowledge.

If the time period is the late 1930s-40s I think that we will be learning more on the American side to the superweapon struggle. Maxis mentions how the Americans are ahead of them (the Nazis) in the Der Riese radio underneath the catwalk (in the tunnel). However I think the zombies will be controlled by the Illuminati/vrill.

There is no way that Maxis would be able to be in control, as that requires him to be in the MDT (is that right?), and that was undiscovered until Richtofen found it, and built griffin station.

My theory is that the vrill were controlling the zombies, then by accident Samantha took over, and they manipulated Richtofen into doing their bidding ever since to regain the control of the zombies.

So yeah, more of the American side for zombies, hanging men=failed test subjects; after all, who cares about high security prisoners? Perfect test subjects for zombies!

Sorry if this was really long winded, basically just wrote it as it came into my head! :D.

Arent we all forgetting something?

Remember in the DIE RISE loading screen was the, what looked like, a film reel ... could it be that MotD is in-fact set in a similar time as Call of the Dead (2013ish)?

Could it be that The Alcatraz 4 (the new characters) were filming (like Robert England, Michael Rooker, Danny Trejeo and Sarah Michelle Geller)?

In response to the Golden Gate bridge, it doesn't look to be under construction ... rather it has been partly destroyed.

Just a few ideas and pointers.

Arent we all forgetting something?

Remember in the DIE RISE loading screen was the, what looked like, a film reel ... could it be that MotD is in-fact set in a similar time as Call of the Dead (2013ish)?

Could it be that The Alcatraz 4 (the new characters) were filming (like Robert England, Michael Rooker, Danny Trejeo and Sarah Michelle Geller)?

In response to the Golden Gate bridge, it doesn't look to be under construction ... rather it has been partly destroyed.

Just a few ideas and pointers.

I can't believe i've missed this! They are likely to be filming, seeing as they're all actors!

If this is set in the time of Die Rise, that means that Maxis (Or someone else) must have taken control of the zombies.

I hope it's actually set in the past :P.

Exactly SageSmile :)

I see it as being a similar opening scenario as Call of the Dead ... filming away, when suddenly they and their team get ambushed by the zombies.

Only thing is is when is it set?

This is a tricky one. However i believe it is set in the same time frame as GREEN RUN and NOT in the Prohibition era like everyone thinks.

The 4 characters ALL play mafia/gangsters, they are filming a 1930s style film yet they are not in the 1930s!

As to the colour of the eyes, my guess is Maxis takes over. Seen as Sams zombie eyes were orange, Richtofens were Blue ... it seems only logical that the only person left that can control them is Maxis. (Seen as Sam is not in control, and Richtofen's only rival is Maxis).

Again just thoughts and ideas but it makes sense ... no?