-Purgatory-

As has been reported, there will be a new feature in Mob of the Dead known as 'Purgatory'. I delved into this and came up with this:

The word "Purgatory", derived through Anglo-Norman and Old French from the Latin word purgatorium, has come to refer also to a wide range of historical and modern conceptions of postmortem suffering short of everlasting damnation, and is used, in a non-specific sense, to mean any place or condition of suffering or torment, especially one that is temporary. (Taken from Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Purgatory)

This interest's me greatly. Will we be seeing a temporary 'torture' once we have died?

Or will it be like this? A place of transfer as in the Christian religion?:

The Catholic Church gives the name Purgatory to the final purification of all who die in God's grace and friendship, but are still imperfectly purified. Though Purgatory is often pictured as a place rather than a process of purification, the idea of purgatory as a physical place is not part of the Church's doctrine. (Taken from the same page as the last one)

Once we 'die', we might enter a place of torture! This could definitely tie in to the map's Easter Egg (which will most likely have a Solo variant due to a Campaign dev working on the map :mrgreen: )

Or could Purgatory be a new perk?????

Let the theories fly!

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is just a theory but perhaps the ending audio cut of die rise is the "Death to purgatory" like alcatraz lock up, when you die you will be locked up inside another building on location in alcatraz . Maybe our N4 from die rise were locked away in alcatraz ? Just a thought to ponder the Die Rise game over audio .

This is just a theory but perhaps the ending audio cut of die rise is the "Death to purgatory" like alcatraz lock up, when you die you will be locked up inside another building on location in alcatraz . Maybe our N4 from die rise were locked away in alcatraz ? Just a thought to ponder the Die Rise game over audio .

Maybe. I just don't think there is a reason for the N4 to be here... seems more fitting for the O4: Trapped on Moon, finally escapes, then trapped in Alcatraz... THE IRONY!!!

i was thinking mayb we would "turn" into zombies mayb

Could be... But I don't thing 3arc would do that after just releasing a game mode where we become a Zombie.

Here's my shot in the dark: Since we know that the time period could be ~1935 (golden gate bridge construction), and the zombie eyes are red (Samantha nor Richtofen can be in control), so maybe while in purgatory, we are the ones in control, influencing the zombies' motives and controlling the game. Purgatory does sound an awful lot like the aether, maybe a theory is that the influence happens when the controller is in the MPD, a possible gateway to the aether, also known as purgatory while controlling the zombie?

I'm not sure. We'll have to wait and see, I guess.

Okay, let's see.

Aether.

Purgatory.

Perhaps Purgatory is the Aether on Earth. Instead of going to the actual Aether that Richtofen and who knows what reside in, it places you in the Earth version, I guess. All you can do is watch as your allies continue without you, all while possibly being tormented or hallucinating.

I think it will be some sort of mini-game to keep you occupied while you are dead.

I've heard people state that you won't be able to revive in this map. I don't think that will be the case.

I think this is 3Arc's answer to quitters. How do you keep somebody from quitting when they die? Give them something to do.

What it will be I have no idea, but I think it will effect the game for those still living, and I'm pretty sure there will be an achievement for it.

I think it will be some sort of mini-game to keep you occupied while you are dead.

I've heard people state that you won't be able to revive in this map. I don't think that will be the case.

I think this is 3Arc's answer to quitters. How do you keep somebody from quitting when they die? Give them something to do.

What it will be I have no idea, but I think it will effect the game for those still living, and I'm pretty sure there will be an achievement for it.

Most likely an achievement. But it will probably get old quite quickly (similar to Who's Who, a cool little gimmick which got old real quick. But I hope not!

Just like to say this is my first post, but I've been a long time reader.

Now, many people have pointed out relationships between this map and CoTD, including the possibility of contacting the original 4 as part of an Easter egg, what if when in Purgatory you are able to talk to the o4 and possibly help them as part of an EE?

Not at all saying it would be true, however I think many of us would like knowing more about what happened to to O4 after the events of Moon.

Just like to say this is my first post, but I've been a long time reader.

Now, many people have pointed out relationships between this map and CoTD, including the possibility of contacting the original 4 as part of an Easter egg, what if when in Purgatory you are able to talk to the o4 and possibly help them as part of an EE?

Not at all saying it would be true, however I think many of us would like knowing more about what happened to to O4 after the events of Moon.

Welcome to CoDz! I hope you enjoy your time here and contribute to our community!

I'm just calling it now: we WILL be helping our friends from space in this EE. I think you are spot-on with the Purgatory hearing the O4 theory. Once more details of the map arise, I will try and compile a list of possible EE steps relating to what we have seen of the map.

I beleive the entire map is in purgatory, or something like it, outside of time... And activating a spire here will effect the spires in the real world...

Kind of like in Back to the Future where you change one event and it impacts the future right? I'm thinking that too.

I'm also thinking that we WILL get tortured in Purgatory. Maybe not physically, not mentally or emotionally. Maybe we'll see things that aren't there, or hear voices.

I beleive the entire map is in purgatory, or something like it, outside of time... And activating a spire here will effect the spires in the real world...

Kind of like in Back to the Future where you change one event and it impacts the future right? I'm thinking that too.

I'm also thinking that we WILL get tortured in Purgatory. Maybe not physically, not mentally or emotionally. Maybe we'll see things that aren't there, or hear voices.

I think we'll hear voices. The ones Richtofen heard before entering the MPD. But I do think Purgatory will be this really out of place area. But as I stated before, I, personally, believe we shall be helping out our friends on the Moon. Somehow, we'll do something in Purgatory to communicate with the characters and make it all happy for them.

Oh my god! What if you didn't realize your in purgatory! What if other players just suddenly realize your not with them! Your still playing the exact same, but all the zombies ignore you and your bulits don't do anything! Then when a player shoots or knifes where you were, you become a fiery demon thing! Oh my god! Just not realizing your dead! Oh that's creepy...

Oh my god! What if you didn't realize your in purgatory! What if other players just suddenly realize your not with them! Your still playing the exact same, but all the zombies ignore you and your bulits don't do anything! Then when a player shoots or knifes where you were, you become a fiery demon thing! Oh my god! Just not realizing your dead! Oh that's creepy...

Oh THAT would be very creepy... Then when they destroy the demon... You spawn back!!

Oh THAT would be very creepy... Then when they destroy the demon... You spawn back!!

But then you just spawn back in and the game never ends... Because as long as one person is alive it would be too easy just to re-incarnate everyone...

But then you just spawn back in and the game never ends... Because as long as one person is alive it would be too easy just to re-incarnate everyone...

But I am assuming destroying the demon is hard... Maybe to destroy them and free the soul... You feed it zombie souls? As he kills the zombie in the trailer the demon opens it's mouth, as if eating it's soul...

Being that I am work, someone answer this for me as I cant research it.

All the actors in this map have played Mobsters, my question is in all the movies, did these specific characters die? I remember the guy from Resiviour dogs died. Perhaps they are the actual characters, in Purgatory paying for their sins for being bad people?

yup i think while ur in purgatory whatever u do affect the living,like playing as a zombie