Purgatory Feature in Alcatraz

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe it will send you to some psychedelic place which is supposed to be the aether? You can see random trippy nonsense like the vortex when teleporting, and it could contain some clues?

Or maybe it just eliminates the possibility of spectating in order to make it harder on you and your team to communicate.

Or MAYBE, it could just be some mini game type thing that occupies you, yet also influences gameplay for your team. For example, how well you do mashing a button or something affects the frequency of power ups until you return.

Sounds interesting... perhaps this is part of the new "terrifying" zombie map feel, perhaps a motivation to not die. If you die then you get stuck in this horrible place. What if you start going in & out of 'purgatory' when you down, making it harder to find the nearest person or know when you are getting revived.

Great find!

Sounds interesting... perhaps this is part of the new "terrifying" zombie map feel, perhaps a motivation to not die. If you die then you get stuck in this horrible place. What if you start going in & out of 'purgatory' when you down, making it harder to find the nearest person or know when you are getting revived.

Great find!

I'm hoping it's something real scary, something that'll make players' hairs stand up on their arms and the back of their necks.

But thanks! I'm glad someone here appreciates this haha

Maybe it will send you to some psychedelic place which is supposed to be the aether? You can see random trippy nonsense like the vortex when teleporting, and it could contain some clues?

Or maybe it just eliminates the possibility of spectating in order to make it harder on you and your team to communicate.

Or MAYBE, it could just be some mini game type thing that occupies you, yet also influences gameplay for your team. For example, how well you do mashing a button or something affects the frequency of power ups until you return.

^^ the bits in green sound good, given MW4 introducing new methods of entering the maps and reduced lobby times. They might be testing some of the code out in zombies.

edit, or a waiting room like the one in Beetlejuice.(

Just going to post this here, for the record:

As has been reported, there will be a new feature in Mob of the Dead known as 'Purgatory'. I delved into this and came up with this:

The word "Purgatory", derived through Anglo-Norman and Old French from the Latin word purgatorium, has come to refer also to a wide range of historical and modern conceptions of postmortem suffering short of everlasting damnation, and is used, in a non-specific sense, to mean any place or condition of suffering or torment, especially one that is temporary. (Taken from Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Purgatory)

This interest's me greatly. Will we be seeing a temporary 'torture' once we have died?

Or will it be like this? A place of transfer as in the Christian religion?:

The Catholic Church gives the name Purgatory to the final purification of all who die in God's grace and friendship, but are still imperfectly purified. Though Purgatory is often pictured as a place rather than a process of purification, the idea of purgatory as a physical place is not part of the Church's doctrine. (Taken from the same page as the last one)

Once we 'die', we might enter a place of torture! This could definitely tie in to the map's Easter Egg (which will most likely have a Solo variant due to a Campaign dev working on the map :mrgreen: )

Or could Purgatory be a new perk?????

I don't see it as a perk. As Naitrax stated elsewhere, isn't Alcatraz famous for ghost stories? Well, becoming an actual ghost when you die seems to tie in to the story.

Now, I don't think it'll be a perk, because we had Who's Who, which was effectively a ghost, despite that you were still solid.

I'm hoping it's not a "mini game." It's gotta be related to the Easter Egg, or when you're in that mode, maybe you can see things that people that aren't in Purgatory can't see.

I'm going to take a stab in the dark here and say this is it. It will serve a purpose to finding a secret, and that may be all. I hope we get to FREE spectate people and visit part's of the map that we want to see. This also relates to JuggerWhicho's theory.

INSTANTidea: What if it let's you play, but when you respawn, your game's progress is SAVED, so next time you enter Purgatory, you continue where you left off??? It could carry over through multiple games...

Or maybe Purgatory is a buyable thing off the wall: "Press and Hold X to enter Purgatory. Price: 2000"

Buying Purgatory is key to solving a part of the EE. You enter and defeat the ghost's to unlock the Cell.

OR MAYBE WE HAVE TO KILL THE WARDEN WHILE IN PURGATORY TO OPEN A SECRET CELL?!?!?

So many ideas...

Here is my idea.

When you bleed out, you enter purgatory. While in Purgatory, you are literally locked in a cell in the prison. It is in an area isolated from the rest of the team. In other words, you CAN NOT access the cell or it's immediate area unless you die. Think along the lines of kino's teleporter rooms.

Now you can have up to 3 people in this room. Or maybe their purgatories are all separate cells?

Anyway, my main idea is that you can access switches in purgatory that you use to interact with the "real world." so, in order to complete the Easter egg, one person had to sacrifice themself.

For example, there are 4 switches that must be activated simultaneously. 3 are scattered around the map, and one is in the death cell, AKA purgatory. So one person must sacrifice themself then activate it in time with the others while dead.

OR The person in purgatory can see things written on the walls which they must convey to their team which is still alive.

Something like that.

Here is my idea.

When you bleed out, you enter purgatory. While in Purgatory, you are literally locked in a cell in the prison. It is in an area isolated from the rest of the team. In other words, you CAN NOT access the cell or it's immediate area unless you die. Think along the lines of kino's teleporter rooms.

Now you can have up to 3 people in this room. Or maybe their purgatories are all separate cells?

Anyway, my main idea is that you can access switches in purgatory that you use to interact with the "real world." so, in order to complete the Easter egg, one person had to sacrifice themself.

For example, there are 4 switches that must be activated simultaneously. 3 are scattered around the map, and one is in the death cell, AKA purgatory. So one person must sacrifice themself then activate it in time with the others while dead.

OR The person in purgatory can see things written on the walls which they must convey to their team which is still alive.

Something like that.

I actually like the cell theory. I think not being able to access it unless you die is interesting and I think I'd welcome that new gameplay.