The Tunguska Event - A Map, Finally?

Ah, Tunguska. Just saying that brings back the nostalgia. Finding those boxes in Shi No Numa labelled "Tunguska" was strange...in a good kind of way.

For those of you who don't know, the Tunguska event "was an enormously powerful explosion that occurred near the Podkamennaya Tunguska River in what is now Krasnoyarsk Krai, Russia, at about 07:14 KRAT (00:14 UT) on June 30 [O.S. June 17], 1908." according to Wikipedia. It is largely believed to have been caused by a meteorite impact of some sort (an air burst). A meteorite, huh? What sort of special element can we obtain from meteorites in the CoD Zombies universe?

The Tunguska Event has been speculated and theorized many times over the past few years, and perhaps now it will see the light of day as a Zombies map. Why do I think this?

In Black Ops II, the maps so far (barring Nuketown) have dealt with specific events in history. Green Run is, of course, based on the Green Run experiments at Hanford. Great Leap Forward, or better known as "Die Rise," was based on the campaign of the same name that forced rapid acceleration of the Chinese economy to become based on communism. Both of these events were "questionable" in a sense in both areas, so it is safe to assume that Tunguska would also fall within these guidelines. There are a lot mysteries surrounding this event, so it seems almost natural that it would become a map.

So, please, discuss this with me! I want to know your opinions! I crave them. :D

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it is a good idea considering we've been to other places that hold historical significance. However I would like to point out that none of the other historical events we've visited have been so directly influential to the game's progression as the Tunguska event. It certainly would be a great leap to make as far as story relevance goes. That doesn't necessarily mean it won't happen; I'm just pointing that out.

Also, something looks different about you...

Did you get a haircut or something?

One thing I think that should be taken into consideration is that CotD was in a Siberian 935 base, but it was not near a river. Maybe we shall see the return of our favorite zombie slayin' actors. They were in the 2nd DLC last time.

Excluding the idea that that counts as going to Tunguska, and the world now covered in lava, I wonder what icy Siberia would look like now... Water map, anyone? Perhaps we shall see our CotD cast in a new location on scene at the Tunguska River, helping our N4 power a new tower. That's my spin on this.

Edited.

Well isn't it just Siberian wilderness. Wouldn't make extremely spectacular location.

Treyarch is yet to release a zombie map with just wilderness. You could say Shi No Numa wasn't a spectacular location. It's a swamp, in the wild. Same with Shangri La: It's a jungle, in the wild. But both of those maps managed to fit in something cool, like the huts and the temples. I doubt they'd even be able to have any Easter Eggs if it was honestly just in the wilderness, with out any technology or man-made places to explore.

Well, there is some really creepy stuff you can find about Tunguska.

This is one of them (ok, that may not be Tunguska :P)

Samantha anyone?

Also, there is one guy called Nikola Testa, who claimed that he made a "Death Ray".

By the way, search for "BO2 Testa Gun" on the YT and you will see some leaked code from about 1 month after the game release talking about the Tesla Gun.

Well isn't it just Siberian wilderness. Wouldn't make extremely spectacular location.

Isn't the moon just a moon? ;)

If you look really, REALLY close on the moon map, you can actually see a giant soul-conducting lunar research facility! Honestly, treyarch needs to make these Easter eggs a little more obvious. I mean, how do they expect us to look at every little pixel to find something this well-hidden? Ugh.

Well, there is some really creepy stuff you can find about Tunguska.

This is one of them (ok, that may not be Tunguska :P)

Samantha anyone?

Also, there is one guy called Nikola Testa, who claimed that he made a "Death Ray".

By the way, search for "BO2 Testa Gun" on the YT and you will see some leaked code from about 1 month after the game release talking about the Tesla Gun.

We (the site) have been talking about tesla and his death ray like lunatics for at least a year or more now, though it's cool that you brought it to the table with its relevance here.

Honestly around here if you were to refer to Nikola tesla as "this one guy," PINNAZ, Tac, Mix, Shooter, Flammen, and about a dozen other users would probably just explode. (no pun intended.)

I'm just messing with you. :mrgreen:

Running trains in the destroyed forest would be pretty cool. Getting chased by "Drop Bears"

First of all, welcome to CoDz. It's great that you found that info yourself. Top marks.

Second, Tesla's not just a guy. Look deeper into his history. Are you using Wi-Fi Internet?

And the YouTube videos talking about a BO2 wonder weapon being called a Tesla Gun have it totally wrong. The Wonderwaffe DG-2 is called the tesla_gun in the games coding. It first appeared in World at War's Shi No Numa.

@ Electric Jesus - Actually, CarbonFibah wrote about Tesla's Wardenclyffe Tower causing the Tunguska event in his first theory the smarty pants.

http://www.callofdutyzombies.com/vBulletin/showthread.php?7423-Carbon-s-First-Theory-6-17-2009

The Tunguska event also has another option that is less believed and less talked about. Nikola Tesla often made broad and wild claims. Around this time he made one regarding a weapon involving electricity and his Wardenclyffe Tower. He claimed he could target and transfer a huge amount of electricity to any point on the globe resulting in massive devastation.

Nikola Tesla

Directed-energy weapon

Later in life, Tesla made remarkable claims concerning a “teleforce" weapon, the press called it a "peace ray" or “death ray”. In total, the components and methods included:

An apparatus for producing manifestations of energy in free air instead of in a high vacuum as in the past. This, according to Tesla in 1934, was accomplished.

A mechanism for generating tremendous electrical force. This as well according to Tesla, was also accomplished.

A means of intensifying and amplifying the force developed by the second mechanism.

A new method for producing a tremendous electrical repelling force. This would be the projector, or gun, of the invention.

Tesla worked on plans for a directed-energy weapon from the early 1900s until his death. In 1937, Tesla composed a treatise entitled "The Art of Projecting Concentrated Non-dispersive Energy through the Natural Media" concerning charged particle beams. Tesla published the document in an attempt to expound on the technical description of a "super weapon that would put an end to all war". This treatise of the particle beam is currently in the Nikola Tesla Museum archive in Belgrade. It described an open ended vacuum tube with a gas jet seal that allowed particles to exit, a method of charging particles to millions of volts, and a method of creating and directing non-dispersive particle streams (through electro-static repulsion).His records indicate that it was based on a narrow stream of atomic clusters of liquid mercury or tungsten accelerated via high voltage (by means akin to his magnifying transformer). Tesla gave the following description concerning the particles gun’s operation:

“The nozzle would send concentrated beams of particles through the free air, of such tremendous energy that they will bring down a fleet of 10,000 enemy airplanes at a distance of 200 miles from a defending nation's border and will cause armies to drop dead in their tracks.” The weapon could be used against ground based infantry or for antiaircraft purposes.

Some people believe his test correlated with the Tunguska Event. It could tie in with the Wunderwaffe DG-2 and the electrical spawns of the hell hounds.

Running trains in the destroyed forest would be pretty cool. Getting chased by "Drop Bears"

First of all, welcome to CoDz. It's great that you found that info yourself. Top marks.

Second, Tesla's not just a guy. Look deeper into his history. Are you using Wi-Fi Internet?

And the YouTube videos talking about a BO2 wonder weapon being called a Tesla Gun have it totally wrong. The Wonderwaffe DG-2 is called the tesla_gun in the games coding. It first appeared in World at War's Shi No Numa.

I know who Nikola Tesla is, and how important he is to everyone's lifes.

Didn't know about the Tesla Gun being the Wonderwaffe though, good info.

(And yes, I'm using Wi-Fi, thanks to Tesla)