In Depth: Operation ECLIPSE - Safehaven - Paperclip

GRILL

This thread is to provide information on operations involving securing Germany & it's top personnel during & after WWII. I'm sure most members have heard and read about Operation Paperclip, heck it's where I first heard of it - but this thread more so serves to flesh out the events leading up to Operation Paperclip.

Massive thanks to Shooter for bringing the Manhattan Project, Operation Paperclip, and the Alsos Mission to my attention (http://callofdutyzombies.com/forum/view ... 00&t=25172)

Map of Operation Eclipse

オラニエンブルク飛行場 - Oranienburg airfield  

ガトウ飛行場 - Gatow airfield

テンペルルホーフ飛行場 - Tempelhof airfield

ECLIPSE was the code name given by the Allies to their last operation of the war in Europe; the occupation of Germany.

source - ECLIPSE (http://archive.org/stream/eclipse000302 ... 5/mode/2up)

"The Mind is the Key to Victory"

Operation ECLIPSE, the plan for the military occupation of Nazi Germany... The scale of the operation and resources available to implement it are unlikely to ever be available again.

source - http://cgsc.cdmhost.com/utils/getfile/c ... e/1167.pdf

Operation Eclipse was an audacious plan for a parachute assault by more than two airborne divisions in an effort to capture Berlin ahead of the Russians. The plan called for the 82nd to seize the airfields at Tempelhof and Rangdor while the 101st would capture two others. The plan was the brainchild of Lewis Brereton's First Allied Army Airborne staff. Winston Churchill and Field Marshall Montogomery were avid supporters of the plan while General Eisenhower didn't see it's "military" significance. Irregardless, the 82nd conducted dress rehearsals.

source - http://www.ww2-airborne.us/division/cam ... rmany.html

Essentially, this was the plan for an AMERICAN OCCUPATION of Germany. However, it was abandoned due to logistical reasons

It turns out there was a detailed plan for such an operation, but the idea was abandoned in April. The plan involved three American and two British airborne divisions. Two regiments from the 82d and two from the 101st were to seize Templehof airport, and British paratroopers would make battalion-sized drops on key strong points. The remainder of the five divisions would be air-lifted into Templehof. Once the airhead was secured, British and American armored and mobile infantry divisions would race to link up with us in the German capital.

Operation Eclipse's entire intelligence plan was unclassified and released to the general public: click here to read the intelligence plan

Operation ECLIPSE can be devised into 3 segments

The first was the occupation of Denmark to act as a clear sign to the Soviet authorities that the Allies were there to stay – as agreed at Yalta.

The second part of Operation Eclipse was the taking of Kiel, a major base for the German Navy, and the securing of important scientific bases between the Danish border and Kiel.

The third part was the taking of Wismar, which the Red Army had the right to take as part of the Yalta Agreement.

source - http://www.historylearningsite.co.uk/op ... clipse.htm

Not much information can be found on Safehaven, but it is sort of the bridge between ECLIPSE & Paperclip

US project within ECLIPSE meant to prevent the escape of Nazi scientists from Allied-occupied Germany.

Operation Paperclip was the Office of Strategic Services (OSS) program used to recruit the scientists of Nazi Germany for employment by the United States in the aftermath of World War II. Upon their arrival, they would be told to stay and work for the same government agencies that had captured them.

source - http://callofdutyzombies.com/forum/view ... 00&t=25172

Operation Paperclip was coordinated by the JIOA (Joint Intelligence Objectives Agency)

Although the JIOA's recruitment of German scientists began after the European Allied victory (8 May 1945), US President Harry Truman did not formally order the execution of Operation Paperclip until August 1945. Truman's order expressly excluded anyone found "to have been a member of the Nazi Party, and more than a nominal participant in its activities, or an active supporter of Nazi militarism". However, those restrictions would have rendered ineligible most of the leading scientists the JIOA had identified for recruitment, among them rocket scientists Wernher von Braun and Arthur Rudolph, and the physician Hubertus Strughold, each earlier classified as a "menace to the security of the Allied Forces".

source - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Paperclip

In addition to rocketeers and nuclear physicists, the Allies also sought chemists, physicians, and naval weaponeers.

For immediate information on Wernher von Braun, Arthur Rudolph, and Hubertus Strughold - please refer to the "Menace to Security" spoiler below.

Paperclip, the project's operational name, derived from the paperclips used to attach the scientists' new political personae to their "US Government Scientist" JIOA personnel files.

source - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Paperclip

More on Operation Paperclip:

To circumvent President Truman's anti-Nazi order and the Allied Potsdam and Yalta agreements, the JIOA worked independently to create false employment and political biographies for the scientists. The JIOA also expunged from the public record the scientists' Nazi Party memberships and régime affiliations. Once "bleached" of their Nazism, the US government granted the scientists security clearance to work in the United States.

Some important "paperclip" scientists:

Wernher Magnus Maximilian, Freiherr von Braun (March 23, 1912 – June 16, 1977) was a German-American rocket scientist, aerospace engineer, space architect, and one of the leading figures in the development of rocket technology in Nazi Germany during World War II and, subsequently, in the United States. He is credited as being the "Father of Rocket Science".

Arthur Louis Hugo Rudolph (November 9, 1906 – January 1, 1996 Hamburg) was a former high-level Nazi given sanctuary by the American government following World War II. He was a rocket engineer who played a key role in the development of the V-2 rocket. After World War II he was brought to the United States by the CIA, subsequently becoming a pioneer of the United States space program. He worked for the U.S. Army and NASA where he managed the development of several important systems including the Pershing missile and the Saturn V Moon rocket. In 1984 he was investigated for possible war crimes, and he agreed to leave the United States and renounce his US citizenship.[1] He was never prosecuted as a Nazi war criminal while living in the United States.

Dr. Hubertus Strughold MD, Ph.D (June 15, 1898 – September 25, 1986) was a German-born physiologist and prominent medical researcher. Beginning in 1935 he served as chief of Aeromedical Research for the German Luftwaffe, holding this position throughout World War II. In 1947 he was brought to the United States as part of Operation Paperclip and held a series of high-ranking medical positions in both the US Air Force and NASA. For his role in pioneering the study of the physical and psychological effects of manned spaceflight he became known as "The Father of Space Medicine".[1] Following his death, Strughold's activities under the Nazis came under greater scrutiny and allegations surrounding his involvement in Nazi human experimentation conducted on inmates of the Dachau concentration camp greatly diminished his reputation.

The Alsos Mission was part of the Manhattan Project... created following the Allied invasion of Italy in September 1943, to investigate the German nuclear energy project. Alsos Mission personnel followed close behind the front lines, and occasionally behind enemy lines, first in Italy, and later in France and Germany. They searched for personnel, records, material, and sites to evaluate the German nuclear project, further American research, and prevent their capture by the Soviet Union.

source - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Alsos

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This thread is a work in progress. Please feel free to tell me (in a polite manner IF POSSIBLE) if I'm wrong, what I'm missing, or anything else. Thanks for reading! :mrgreen:

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@buscus: thanks buddy. the spoilers can be tough to figure out at first, but if you want to know how to make a correct spoiler - just quote me "in the upper right corner" and it'll show you how I made this:

inside of the first bracket, after the = sign, you put the title of the spoiler. then in this section (between both the spoiler brackets) you put your content. simple as that! good luck!

:mrgreen:

@bagel: thank you verrruuuuhh much. yeah this is just kind of a skeleton at the moment, but eventually I'd like to bring in some theories, more supporting evidence from "in game", and anything else to help. At the moment, everyone is pretty pre-occupied with the new maps and what not... but we still have a lot to learn in regards to the storyline (we're all pretty sure operation paperclip was a huge part of the 115 technology coming to America - but i thought it would be cool to research the events/projects/operations leading up to Paperclip)

PLUUUUUUS when this game first got leaked back in the spring of '12, all the promotional posters said "ECLIPSE"... so naturally seeing Project ECLIPSE and how it relates to Paperclip made me quite interested.

• Administrators

Now this is some grade-A work, friendo. Posts like these deserve as much attention as possible. Keep 'em coming - I love seeing your posts, they're always very informative, well structured, and have lots of visuals & sources to make it easier for us to understand. Top of the brains to you. :)

Wow... Amazing!!! good job, I myself am trying to post a big one but can't get spoilers working :P

[spoiler=Title of Spoiler]What's in the spoiler that you are hiding behind the button[/spoiler]

Great work Grill. I'd heard of Opperation Paperclip and the Manhattan Project, but not about ECLIPSE.

Maybe that's why Black Ops II's code name was Eclipse. *shrug*

@infest: much appreciated my man. my favorite threads are Asylum threads, and I simply strive to achieve the greatness I've seen. pictures, sources, spoilers, and a little TLC.

@death: ahhh nice that's a much better tutorial. yes yes that's what originally peaked my interest - plus eclipse is just an awesome word to begin with!

@way: haha yeah - honestly I'm still getting a grasp on all of this information, I'm totally not going to sit here and act like this is all common knowledge or easily attainable - it's still all very much stewing (and going over the top of) my mind. Given all that, I really appreciate the kind words - thanks! :mrgreen:

once I get some super clear connections I'm hoping to add a theory section at the end of the thread. regardless: I'm going to update the "menace to security" section with more Paperclip scientists, along with adding a whole section regarding an elite British army group known as "T Force" who were to be in direct correlation with Operation ECLIPSE.

Haha NO problem dude.

On a second note, Is that first picture you posted was from the map Die Rise?

I thought I saw it in that little room near Cafe (Down the escalator from the SVU) where there is a box location.

aw no that would be EPIC if I got that from Die Rise. I will have to check it out and see for myself. *edit* i just jumped in and looked high and low, can't find what you were talking about. Is it the dragon picture in the cafe? Let me know if you get a chance to look for it, hit me up with a picture if I'm not seeing it!!

I got it from this wwII/history forum - about the 5th post down. i'm guessing he got it from one of the specific books written from first accounts involving Operation ECLIPSE:

http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic.php?t=39855

Haha NO problem dude.

On a second note, Is that first picture you posted was from the map Die Rise?

I thought I saw it in that little room near Cafe (Down the escalator from the SVU) where there is a box location.

aw no that would be EPIC if I got that from Die Rise. I will have to check it out and see for myself. *edit* i just jumped in and looked high and low, can't find what you were talking about. Is it the dragon picture in the cafe? Let me know if you get a chance to look for it, hit me up with a picture if I'm not seeing it!!

I got it from this wwII/history forum - about the 5th post down. i'm guessing he got it from one of the specific books written from first accounts involving Operation ECLIPSE:

http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic.php?t=39855

Ive done similar digging myself. All connections I found were tied to the "Hanford" Site. Which as we know it is "Green Run".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Green_Run

And the Name Stuhlinger is directly tied to the project paperclip.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ernst_Stuhlinger

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hanford_Site

Also a connection that I found, which may or may not be significant, honestly I just woke up and don't feel like doing the necessary thinking. I recently posted in "Great Leap Foreward" discussion section referencing the MOON loading screen. I found a blurry image where I enhanced and found it to say "Xenon Belt". I also found that the "Hanford Site" and "Operation Green Run" was experomenting with Xenon-133 and radioactive isotopes were intentionally released into populated areas. If you build on my work here, please at least cite me as a reference. It is much appreciated and I see often other people re posting things I say just worded differently. Please and Thank You.

Right beneath the image of the open breifcase the the image and text of "xenon belt" is blurry but visible. I did not enhance originaly because I did not know it's significance.

RIGHT CLICK VIEW IMAGE FOR ENTIRE PICTURE

@death: ahhh nice that's a much better tutorial. yes yes that's what originally peaked my interest - plus eclipse is just an awesome word to begin with!

Although I'm glad that I remind you of "death" (as in DeathB4dihonor, I presume. Who is by far one of the most mature users and one of the overall best users on this site) My name is killallzombies, or K.A.Z/KAZ/kaz. But it's okay, it was an honest mistake.

I agree that the

boxes are the best tutorials :D

Good work Grill, you've been working hard lately, keep it up.

@ Zombo: thanks for the sources, bud! I'll let you know if I can draw some relations, and indeed - give credit where due.

@ KAZ: dude, my bad! I think for some reason I just saw your avatar and my head was like "skeleton = death", and yes it was deathb4 I was thinking of. Thanks for understanding, and the kind words! ;) Getting kudos to keep it up from such respected members is what keeps us new members striving to achieve what brought us here in the first place: theories amidst history in the context of fantasy.

I've come down with a cold so I was unable to update this week. As soon as this fog in my head clears ill be back researching.

Wow, very impressive. I was inspired by your discovery that Stuhlinger was the name of a Nazi rocket scientist and decided to see if there was some significance to the names of the other zombies characters. Briarton, as in Abigail "Misty" Briarton, was part of the pseudonym "General Briarton" used by the author Reginald Brentnor when he was writing the Ferdinand Feghoot series of vignettes about time travel. I know it is a very minor link between these two, but still it's better than nothing.

Getting kudos to keep it up from such respected members is what keeps us new members striving to achieve what brought us here in the first place: theories amidst history in the context of fantasy.

I'm a respected member? Awesome

I've come down with a cold so I was unable to update this week. As soon as this fog in my head clears ill be back researching.

Hope you feel better. :D

Top stuff yet again GRILL. Keep pumpin' em out!

I'll have to re-read this again to understand it a little more, keep up the good work mate.

@ Way, I might have to check that out & look into the Art more.

@ TheMadHatter, that's a pretty good find. Well done & keep digging for stuff like that.

@ KAZ, of course your a well respected CoDz member. I highly respect you. (you were the first one to comment on my Tesla thread when I first joined)

Great post once again. Keep 'em comin' GRILL if you get the time - March UOTM!

Alright, I have found some significance behind another zombies name. Belinski, as in Nikolai Belinski, is the last name of Russian theoretical physicist Vladimir Belinski. He, along with two other physicists, created the BKL singularity, a model of the universes evolution near the initial singularity, the big bang. Now part of the BKL singularity theory is that the entire universe, not a small part of it, is affected by a time singularity. This means that in the entirety of the universe, as the value for time reaches a very large or very small number the direction of the flow of time changes. Now I don't fully understand this theory, not by a long shot, so if anyone is able to understand it fully feel free to correct me. I may in fact be getting this all wrong, so bear that in mind. Now, if I am correct, Vladimir Belinski and this theory has a lot to do with the time travel and time altering aspects of CoD zombies. There is the possibility that this reversal in time could play a part in the future of zombies. Either Maxis or Richtofen could try to reverse the flow of time in an attempt to make it that they always had power over zombies or somehow gain power in another way

sources:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vladimir_Belinski

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BKL_singularity

@madhatter: nice findings bud! Typically I'm inclined to go on more than just a significance in names, but it certainly doesn't hurt to explore all possibilities. I'll have to look into General Briarton & Vlad Belinski. Thanks!

@KAZ:

respect, respect, ya gotta show the *#*!ing respect!

... and yes I am feeling better!

@PINNAZ: As always, thanks for the kind words!!! To me, Operation ECLIPSE is not super significant - it's operation Paperclip that really shines... and anything we can do to flesh out Paperclip is work well spent. I will continue to provide quality information as long as it exists :mrgreen:

ATM I have tons of work. I own an LLC that has just adopted several new clients, and things are really picking up.

@ KAZ, of course your a well respected CoDz member. I highly respect you. (you were the first one to comment on my Tesla thread when I first joined)

Why thank you PINNAZ, that was mighty kind of you. And I remember that thread, as Tesla is one of my favorite inventors. And I really just posted a little info on Tesla to help you a bit (but I'm sure you didn't need it :D )

Great post once again. Keep 'em comin' GRILL if you get the time - March UOTM!

Agreed.