All map name translations. Do they mean anything?

Sorry for spelling Der Riese wrong.... I can't believe I was that stupid, to spell my favorite maps name wrong....

By the way, for anyone saying that "Die Rise" Doesn't mean "The Rise" in German, I put the name into google translate, and it came out with that. It didn't translate Rise, because it isn't a German word. But I think that those of you who say that it's just wordplay are correct, and honestly I believe it is just wordplay, too. But keep in mind that Treyarch really likes to make us believe one thing, and then completely turn everything around. So we can't be sure until the whole story has been revealed.

I decided to translate all of the maps to english.

Nacht der Untoten (German)- Night of the Undead

Verrückt (German)- Crazy

Shino Numa (死の沼) (Japanese)- Swamp of Death

Der Riese (German)- The Giant

Kino der Toten (German)- Cinema of the Dead

Five (English)- Five (DDEERRPP!!)

Dead Ops Arcade (English)- Dead Ops Arcade (DDEERRPP!!)

Ascension (English)- Ascension (DDEERRPP!!)

Call of the Dead (English)- Call of the Dead (DDEERRPP!!)

Shangri La (???)- Heaven on Earth

Moon (English)- Moon (You are mental if you didn't know that... :?)

Green Run (English)- Green Run (DDEERRPP!!)

Die Rise is interesting.... It can be either German, or English.- Die Rise (English), or The Rise (German)

Die Rise is the only one that is doubled with names.... Could it just be a silly pun, considering that your are raised up way off the ground, or could it be that the zombies are rising?? Only time will tell.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You have to remember word play is something the zombie creators love to do as obvious from even there tweets. I think the breakdown of the meaning and possible combinations of theories would be a great idea. My only wish is if the english versions you have had a little more depth to them besides whats been posted.

Why is each map named the way it is? What link does the name have with the actual map and how it ties into it. Obvious answers like Moon would be the fact its on the moon but you could expand by why the location is the moon(storyline) or with Ascension the actual dictionary term and why its been labeled as such.

A lot of it would be a repeat of things already posted but atleast anyone visiting this thread would be a little more informed then they were before. Even if it is just a recap.

Ahem, 'bout to blow y'alls minds here.

Die Rise, like TranZit, is the game mode. A Great Leap Forward is the map name.

That being said. In the first game (WaW) the maps were named exactly as what they were in the language of the country they take place. Verruckt: Crazy, or alternatively Asylum, takes place in an asylum. Simple enough. Kino continued that trend being in a Cinema and Five relating to Defcon 5. Ascension throws me at first but then I realized all of the DLC had English names (Shangri-La is a word based on a couple of slang words in Tibetan, however it was coined by an English author)

Finally, it seems as though the newest Maps are named after events in history that take place in the countries in which they occurred.

Die Rise does not mean "The Rise" in German. Der Anstieg means "The Rise."

And you are so wrong on the Der Riese part. You misspelled it.

I said 'die rise' meant the rise in German, so I feel he believed me, I, in turn, believed my bad phone translator because I trusted it and only had 1 year of Deutch.

So, apparently it only means Die Rise, a play on hi-rise.

Thanks for the correction.

Die Rise is interesting.... It can be either German, or English.- Die Rise (English), or The Rise (German)

Die Rise is the only one that is doubled with names.... Could it just be a silly pun, considering that your are raised up way off the ground, or could it be that the zombies are rising?? Only time will tell.

Well you can't really have the names 'Green Run' & 'Die Rise' together. You either need to have TranZit & Die Rise or Green Run & Great Leap Forward.

I believe you should have Green Run & Great Leap Forward as map names.

Also Green Run may possibly be a play on words aswell. The Green Run Project which was the release of chemicals into the air & Green Run referring to starting new?

Tranzit and Die rise are the game modes. Tranzit is traveling a vast zombie world using a brand new type of transport, the bus. Green run is the map name. If input in google, you get it as a 1950's-60's american experiment in hanford, which is where the map is based in. Die riise has a new transport but not in a vast area. It's to be able to move up and down quickly through the map, elevators. Great leap forward is the map name. If input in google, it was a plan a chinese general wanted to use, ending in the death in many. Get this, it was also in the 1960's. If treyarch continuess on with these names, and if all map names start with the letter G, then we have a sequence of events and experiments from across the globe that are based in the 1960's. With this info, we could possibly learn the names of the next few maps. possiblly in russia or other countries that have events and experiments in the 1960's.

I created account on this forum to tell NO to these stupid ideas.

Die Rise and TranZit aren't gamemodes.

Die Rise and TranZit are the names of the map

Green Run and Great Leap Forward are the names of the chapter.

The chapter is a collection of original map and modes made from it.

For now only TranZit has modes- Survival, Grief, Turned

Why i say TranZit and Die Rise re the names of the map ?

Because the name Die Rise was used in poster/trailer.

Why i say Green Run and Great Leap Forward re the names of the chapter ?

Oh, cmon, Treyarch wouldnt call their maps as events like government project.

Maybe they could name Der Riese, Project Wunderwaffe, huh.

Nothing else to say. Farewell

I created account on this forum to tell NO to these stupid ideas.

Die Rise and TranZit aren't gamemodes.

Die Rise and TranZit are the names of the map

Green Run and Great Leap Forward are the names of the chapter.

The chapter is a collection of original map and modes made from it.

For now only TranZit has modes- Survival, Grief, Turned

Why i say TranZit and Die Rise re the names of the map ?

Because the name Die Rise was used in poster/trailer.

Why i say Green Run and Great Leap Forward re the names of the chapter ?

Oh, cmon, Treyarch wouldnt call their maps as events like government project.

Maybe they could name Der Riese, Project Wunderwaffe, huh.

Nothing else to say. Farewell

Almost none of this quote seems right to me.

Verrückt (German)- Crazy

Der Reise (German)- The Trip (Yes, it doesn't mean "The Giant", as most people were led to believe.)

To everyone watching this thread, let this be a warning to you; use your brain before coming up with some theories/information that defiles logic and is supported by no arguments.

To the author: Der Riese - The trip? Seriously? You did not even bother to translate these names properly.

I can find significance for the name "Green Run". Green Run was a secret U.S. government project that involved the release of radioactive fission products. It took place at the Hanford Site plutonium production facility. Now, Hanford Site is located near Hanford, Washington, a small agricultural town. Hanford is a very close match to Town from BO2 and the fact that this is an agricultural town could explain Farm. Now, the release of radiation could in fact be the cause of the forest dwellers, and even the zombies if the radiation included some element 115, which we know, from moon, that the U.S. government had. If this is the cause of the zombies, then I would place the time period of Green Run in the 1950's-60's. In addition to this, the bus in Tranzit looks like a GM "new look" transit bus, a vehicle produced from 1959-1977. The semi truck in Farm looks like a ford C series from the 1960's, and the architecture style is very late 50's, early 60's. Thus, the name Green Run gives us the time period of this map as well as a possible cause of the zombies at Green Run.

Sources: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Green_Run

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hanford_Site

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hanford,_Washington

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_New_Look_bus

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_C-Series

Moon in Latin means: Luna

Luna as many of you on here know is linked with Ascensions Easter Egg. This could be due to the Space Race in the 60's enacted by John F Kennedy because of Soviet Unions "Sputnik operation" and of course because Ascension is a Soviet Cosmodrome facility.

Also, If you have noticed the Multiplayer map Plaza it has a club known as Luna. Thinking of the circumstances of Black Ops 2 one could connote that it's Rhichtofen's and Maxis' Battle for the control of the Moon (with one side of the map consisting of purple/blues and the other oranges and yellows). Why the Moon? The moon is itself is Earths natural Satellite and Satellites Transmit signals...and signals are what control the Zombies...

For the English ones perhaps you could try and convert them to different languages or maybe just find the relevance of their name in a suitable context. For each one why not go more indepth and seek out new linkages and connections, just think deeper :)

Verrückt (German)- Crazy

Der Reise (German)- The Trip (Yes, it doesn't mean "The Giant", as most people were led to believe.)

Der Riese does mean "The Giant"

Die Reise means "The Journey"

Trust me, I'm half German and punishing myself with it at GCSE level. Our latest speaking assessment was about Die Reise :(

That being said. In the first game (WaW) the maps were named exactly as what they were in the language of the country they take place. Verruckt: Crazy, or alternatively Asylum, takes place in an asylum. Simple enough. Kino continued that trend being in a Cinema and Five relating to Defcon 5. Ascension throws me at first but then I realized all of the DLC had English names (Shangri-La is a word based on a couple of slang words in Tibetan, however it was coined by an English author)

Finally, it seems as though the newest Maps are named after events in history that take place in the countries in which they occurred.

mind not blown since great leap forward or skyscraper because if you click DIE RISE it goes to a sub map with it not being called great leap forward it being called skyscrapers

mind not blown since great leap forward or skyscraper because if you click DIE RISE it goes to a sub map with it not being called great leap forward it being called skyscrapers

Also, If you have noticed the Multiplayer map Plaza it has a club known as Luna. Thinking of the circumstances of Black Ops 2 one could connote that it's Rhichtofen's and Maxis' Battle for the control of the Moon (with one side of the map consisting of purple/blues and the other oranges and yellows). Why the Moon? The moon is itself is Earths natural Satellite and Satellites Transmit signals...and signals are what control the Zombies...

For the English ones perhaps you could try and convert them to different languages or maybe just find the relevance of their name in a suitable context. For each one why not go more indepth and seek out new linkages and connections, just think deeper :)

I know that there has been a lot of talk about whether or not Green Run is Hanford Washington, and there seems to be some kind of consensus that it is. If you look at the train schedule on the multiplayer map Express, one of the stops is Hanford, albeit Hanford California. However this makes sense as on the world zombie map selector screen, Green Run appears to be almost due west of Nuketown Zombies, which on the world screen says is in Nevada. Thus it seems that the train schedule on Express is telling us that Green Run is in Hanford California, not Hanford Washington.

Check the link in my Signature MadHatter - The Green Run Project.

It is intended to be Hanford, Washington State. Though nothing in the map represents the Hanford Site apart from the map inside the Bus Depot & the radioactive waste drums around the map. (It's fiction mixed with reality like every other map)

The 'Fog' or 'Dust' in the air would be a play on words of the actual 'Green Run' in which the Air Force in 1949 released chemicals into the air (for testing purposes) as the Soviets had detonated their first Nuclear Bomb. The discovery of this was also found by test equipment at the Hanford Site (Rattlesnake Mountain to be exact)

As for Hanford, California State, it's possible that the workers that wear the 'Electric Neck Collars' are somehow related to Hanford Calironia as they also have 'Hanford patches on their sleeves.

I know that there has been a lot of talk about whether or not Green Run is Hanford Washington, and there seems to be some kind of consensus that it is. If you look at the train schedule on the multiplayer map Express, one of the stops is Hanford, albeit Hanford California. However this makes sense as on the world zombie map selector screen, Green Run appears to be almost due west of Nuketown Zombies, which on the world screen says is in Nevada. Thus it seems that the train schedule on Express is telling us that Green Run is in Hanford California, not Hanford Washington.

Pinnaz explained that well.

Also MadHatter notice that in Die Rise we are told that we are in Province 22 but it has the Jin Mao Tower(shanghai) and a shanghai Skyline picture.

Treyarchs reason for such circumstances are unknown, perhaps it could be that they are trying to show how much the world has messed up, or maybe even that time is ripping apart causing things to occur at the wrong time frame, Or maybe they are just there to specify the country in which the map is set...There are many reasons...Which one is right is still riddle. Will we ever find out? I honestly don't know...

Also MadHatter notice that in Die Rise we are told that we are in Province 22 but it has the Jin Mao Tower(shanghai) and a shanghai Skyline picture.

Treyarchs reason for such circumstances are unknown, perhaps it could be that they are trying to show how much the world has messed up, or maybe even that time is ripping apart causing things to occur at the wrong time frame, Or maybe they are just there to specify the country in which the map is set...There are many reasons...Which one is right is still riddle. Will we ever find out? I honestly don't know...

Huh, I never thought that the Shanghai skyline being in province 22 could be Treyarch showing us how messed up the world could be. Maybe they are doing that also with Green Run. I get the feeling that there is something majorly important to the zombies story line that is staring me in the face but I just can't see it. Maybe this whole cities in places where they shouldn't be is part of it. I don't know, I just don't know.

Huh, I never thought that the Shanghai skyline being in province 22 could be Treyarch showing us how messed up the world could be. Maybe they are doing that also with Green Run. I get the feeling that there is something majorly important to the zombies story line that is staring me in the face but I just can't see it. Maybe this whole cities in places where they shouldn't be is part of it. I don't know, I just don't know.

Nor do us all, friend...Maybe it will all be explained when all of the map packs come out.