Terminology That Offends...

That is just crap.

You can try to avoid it, but not all situations are avoidable, and not all should be. Its MY Xbox. It's MY account of Xbox Live. It's MY year's worth of membership. As long as I am in line with the License Agreement, I should be allowed to do whatever I want. You can talk profanely, but don't expect ME to get off MY Xbox because of YOU. We will simply play with more mature people.

If you talk profanely, you will be your own worst enemy, wondering why are your friends are just as vulgar as you. And usually, if you care not for what you say hurts those around you, you and those around you will also neglectfully hurt each other. "It's not a big deal dude" =_=

+1

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

calling another dude a twat is like calling girl a dick, or calling your neighbor a butthole.. rape is the act forcing your will on another sexually with intent to harm or kill.. i see a difference

ninezero, u posted as i was posting... lol ill just post anyways look like we were thinking about the same

my point was, people will say offensive things... it's up to you as to whether you are going to put yourself in a situation where you'll be offended. If you play xbox live, you have decided to put yourself in a position where you may hear offensive things.

That is just crap.

You can try to avoid it, but not all situations are avoidable, and not all should be. Its MY Xbox. It's MY account of Xbox Live. It's MY year's worth of membership. As long as I am in line with the License Agreement, I should be allowed to do whatever I want. You can talk profanely, but don't expect ME to get off MY Xbox because of YOU. We will simply play with more mature people.If you talk profanely, you will be your own worst enemy, wondering why are your friends are just as vulgar as you. And usually, if you care not for what you say hurts those around you, you and those around you will also neglectfully hurt each other. "It's not a big deal dude" =_=

I'm not advocating for or against profanity, but what i'm saying is when you get on xbl and play a public match, your only defense against hearing things that offend you are to a)mute those players or B) don't play online. You're free to do whatever you'd like because yes it is YOUR xbox and YOUR xbl subscription, but bypurchasing YOUR xbl subscription, you are disclosed that online interactions are not rated by the ESRB and you may hear offensive things when playing online. You can either complain about it, which doesn't solve anything, or you can take the steps to avoid it which would be the two solutions i offered above

calling another dude a twat is like calling girl a dick, or calling your neighbor a butthole.. rape is the act forcing your will on another sexually with intent to harm or kill.. i see a difference

ninezero, u posted as i was posting... lol ill just post anyways look like we were thinking about the same

this is my point. there is no right or wrong answer to "is this offensive?" because each person's opinion on what is offensive is different. although rape in my opinion is a deplorable act which shouldn't be taken lightly. But not everybody HAS to have that opinion. Some people may be really offended by butthole. You may not, but someone else might. there aren't levels of "being offensive" . Sometimes a person may offend someone on accident without any malicious intent. my point is and remains, that the only way to guarantee yourself from being offended is to withdraw yourselves from those situations in which you get offended easily

there is no right or wrong answer to "is this offensive?" because each person's opinion on what is offensive is different. although rape in my opinion is a deplorable act which shouldn't be taken lightly. But not everybody HAS to have that opinion. Some people may be really offended by butthole. You may not, but someone else might. there aren't levels of "being offensive" . Sometimes a person may offend someone on accident without any malicious intent. my point is and remains, that the only way to guarantee yourself from being offended is to withdraw yourselves from those situations in which you get offended easily

At this point you are just flogging a dead horse, man.

Let's agree to disagree and move on.

-Whiskey

I can't be bothered to argue with small-minded opinions.

Yes, ANYONE can be "raped". But it is more inclined to affect females rather than men.

"Twat" is a slang word used commonly. The term "rape" only comes to mind when someone is known to have forced themselves on another person physically.

"Twat" is much more commonly used than the word "rape". Therefore it is MORE likely to offend a greater number of people when used or spoken.

-Whiskey

The problem here is you are referring to items that are opnions as facts. if these are actually "facts" please provide some support in the form of statistics.

where are your statistics that twat is used more commonly than rape.

and if we are using "slang" terms, rape is a commonly used slang term for beating an opposing team by a large margin. that isn't websters definition of it, but in "slang" that is how it iis used.

I have the tendancy to swear online, but that's called 'rage' (like going down before Wave 10 or the dreaded Wave 1 down Solo because you forgot how long your health takes to reload). Rage happens to everyone, it's a kind of unavoidable thing to say when you get mad or frustrated about something that is recurringly happening to you online.

The term 'Rape Train', though I understand why it is used and is at first somewhat fitting, is however now quite crude and unneccesary, as it is almost 'swearing' without a purpose (you are not being frustrated by the game, you're just saying "Time to destroy this rape train!" For fun). Therefore, rape train should never really be used as a term to describe mowing down a horde of shambling undead. Period.

Besides, slaughtering them sounds better.

but what i'm saying is when you get on xbl and play a public match, your only defense against hearing things that offend you are to a)mute those players or B) don't play online. You're free to do whatever you'd like because yes it is YOUR xbox and YOUR xbl subscription, but bypurchasing YOUR xbl subscription, you are disclosed that online interactions are not rated by the ESRB and you may hear offensive things when playing online.

You're forgetting my option of Reporting the offending player to 3Arc and blocking them on X-Box live. There's even an option when you report/block a player for profanity.

Honestly if more players utilized this function it might make dent in the trash-talk in online games. You can even look on a players profile and see what kind of complaints have been lodged against them.

I've reported many players, usually due to racist emblems, and never even thought twice about it.

That being said I don't really care if they show a penis or bunnies doing it in their emblem, or they use curse words regulary. After all it is a free world, at least in my eyes...

I just really hate that racism/sexism has had a resurgence of late by people hiding behind gamertags, Screen Names and the general anonimity of the interwebz.

Do you think these 13 year olds would call anybody a N#gger to their face? Hell no!

Do you think these same kids would call a real life girl a b*tch/C*nt to her face or tell her she should be in the **** please report this topic, post ****? No probably not.

The reason they do these things is because we allow them to. If everytime this 13 year old Assh@t said a sexist or racist thing he was reported he would be sitting at a one star rating or on straight up suspended.

Sadly, we don't so he continues his repulsive behavior with impunity.

Like I said I report these players without a second thought.

How many of you guys can say the same? If you can't you're kind of the problem.

"All it takes for evil to succeed is for good men to do nothing."~~Some old dead guy who knew his sh*t.

You're forgetting my option of Reporting the offending player to 3Arc and blocking them on X-Box live. There's even an option when you report/block a player for profanity.

I do that quite often actually.

Thanks for your input, sir.

-Whiskey

This is an option yes, although considering the sheer amount of people whouse offensive language and emblems in public lobbies, there really is no realistic chance of it being eliminated. That's why, god willing, when i have kids, they will not be allowed to play mature games until they are mature enough to handle all the situations that the game presents. A mature person should be able to handle hearing offensive things in a video game. Same as you should be able to handle hearing something offensive in real life. Is it Ideal? No, but it happens, and that;s part of maturing is learning how to handle yourself and what actions to take in situations you don't find desireable

A group of zombies = a horde

The grouping of zombies together = hording

I swear but there are a few words I do not use such as Twat, Rape and Cunt. Each of these were brought up by someone important in my life at some point or another and explained in a way that they were offensive to them and I adopted it.

I'm not sure I would back out of a lobby of good players because they say it once or twice but if they are consistently repeating it like someone who praises God for every little thing that happens I would choose my right to censor them by muting or leaving the lobby.

I think a post like this says a lot about the people who want to stand up against the social "norms" that have been ushered in as of late and "horde" together to fight off the hatred, racism, and evil that being "ok" with stuff like this fosters.

Nothing made me cringe as hard as reading facebook comments during the last election and seeing grown men and women (let alone children)calling Obama a N*gger. I couldn't believe it. By being ok with this type of behavior we create a social norm within that clique of people. It then grows along with the hatred. This is essentially what is wrong these days.. these cliques of norms grow and then clash.

I think the OP was right in posting this and I support his right to decide what his "norm" will be. I'd be happy to "horde" some zombies with him.

A group of zombies = a horde

The grouping of zombies together = hording

I swear but there are a few words I do not use such as Twat, Rape and Cunt. Each of these were brought up by someone important in my life at some point or another and explained in a way that they were offensive to them and I adopted it.

I'm not sure I would back out of a lobby of good players because they say it once or twice but if they are consistently repeating it like someone who praises God for every little thing that happens I would choose my right to censor them by muting or leaving the lobby.

I think a post like this says a lot about the people who want to stand up against the social "norms" that have been ushered in as of late and "horde" together to fight off the hatred, racism, and evil that being "ok" with stuff like this fosters.

Nothing made me cringe as hard as reading facebook comments during the last election and seeing grown men and women (let alone children)calling Obama a N*gger. I couldn't believe it. By being ok with this type of behavior we create a social norm within that clique of people. It then grows along with the hatred. This is essentially what is wrong these days.. these cliques of norms grow and then clash.

I think the OP was right in posting this and I support his right to decide what his "norm" will be. I'd be happy to "horde" some zombies with him.

Thank you sir.

A mature person should be able to handle hearing offensive things in a video game. Same as you should be able to handle hearing something offensive in real life. Is it Ideal? No, but it happens, and that;s part of maturing is learning how to handle yourself and what actions to take in situations you don't find desireable

Actually just learning to eat sh*t is not a mark of maturity, it is a mark of cowardice.

Once you eat sh*t it has habit of becoming part of your regular diet.

I'm with you man, I deleted a few of my Facebook "Friends" due to this, gay-bashing and other abhorent behavior.

It's not just Facebook though, look at any comment section for any article (Yahoo, MSN, AICN, ETC ...)

The internet is the new frontier for bigots, racists, child molesters, anarchist, drug dealers, and religious intolerance.

Anybody who just sighs and says "well this is the internet" or "Just ignor it" is definately part of the problem.

Not rocking the boat when it is full of hate, is akin to steering the boat yourself.

Everyone take a deep breath.

Do people really think that Mr. Syndicate himself has issues with victims of sexual assault and hope to discriminate them on YouTube through his channels?? I'm willing to bet it was an honest mistake that slipped and somehow caught on. I'm also willing to wage that he has since wanting to kick himself in the nuts for ever coming up with it.

People who are sensitive toward certain words/actions need to understand and analyze intent. Someone who shouts "fucking faggot" to his friend does not necessarily mean he or she has issues with fornicating homosexuals, it was more likely just a phrase he picked up from associating with others.

We are fortunate to be in a society where we are encouraged to speak our minds. In America we often preach "freedom of speech," but also refrain with "political correctness" in fear of offending. We as a society need to analyze the intend to hurt, before we crucify others for certain actions. Some cases are necessary, some cases are overdone.

I do agree the society as a whole can be more careful with word selections. I do agree the society as a whole shall be more sensitive to others. I do agree certain offensive words we learned from our associations could be eliminated. However, those who complained about the word usage will then find other things to gripe about.

To the rape victims and those effected: get over yourself. (In the most sincere, honest, and respectable way). Everyone go through life facing challenges and self deficiencies. Life is full of obstacles, not only physically, but also mentally. Just because you bleed out on round 20 doesn't mean round 60 is mission impossible. Winners learn to stand up after each fall, but losers moan and cry and rage quit. Just remember, no one goes through life without dark pasts. You are not alone, you are not different, you are handicapping yourself by extending bad memories.

Stay mentally tough my friends. Life is not over.

To the rape victims and those effected: get over yourself. (In the most sincere, honest, and respectable way).

This is the most ignorant thing I have seen on this thread.

In the most sincere honest and respectable way??? LOL ummmm no. How about if your Mom/Sister/Daughter got raped would you tell her to get over herself and quit complaining? Would you still throw around the word rape without a thought?

Jay you are part of the problem,(I mean this in the most sincere, honest and respectable way)

Also don't fool yourself into thinking Sydicate gives two farts about this community or anything else besides his Youtube views.

Also the argument for saying Fucking Fagg*t and it not being offensive is repugnant...

Change out Fagg*t for N*gger, do you still think its non-offensive? Intent does not trump content.

EDIT:::To be less hostile:::

I personally see no problem with the term. As you quite literally 'raping' zombies of their points. I usually just call it kiting, but I see how people could find the other term offensive. Especially if they or a person they know has been affected by rape.

I remember Syndicate mentioned this one of his livestreams. He means rape in the way that you plunder something from someone. In this case being points.

I personally see no problem with the term. As you quite literally 'raping' zombies of their points. I usually just call it kiting, but I see how people could find the other term offensive. Especially if they or a person they know has been affected by rape.

I remember Syndicate mentioned this one of his livestreams. He means rape in the way that you plunder something from someone. In this case being points.

That's like justifying the use of a curse word on television. "No, no, I meant that I was calling you a female dog, Bruce."

What did o0OMorrisO0o call it when he invented it? I can't even remember. It was back when nacht was the only zombie map and he ran them between the concrete beams that hold up the second floor.

I think he just referred to it as "running the zombies", as he never actually defined it. So that's what I'm calling it.

Also, Syndicate isn't a genius at naming things. Remember his series "Nuking the Fridge"?

Probably not, that was when he was stuck on machinima uploading mw2 garbage instead of zombie garbage when it became mainstream.

Edit: I mean his content is garbage, not MW2 and definitely not Zombies.

Although I'm not an advocate of censorship, I agree certain terms can be omitted from play.

I am usually weary of using profanity when I'm clearly playing with a minor random, but I love to curse and swear at my Zombies, so I have to remind myself that even the ESRB plainly states on their game ratings that "online interactions are not rated by the ESRB". This basically means parents must be vigilante in what they expose their child to, but isn't Black Ops holding a Mature rating now anyways?

I do not use the word rape train, but I do use training/train because 1) Rape Train is widely accepted and 2) you more or less are creating a "Train" of zombies, one behind the other in a nice straight line.

However, the straight lines are not as easy in the newer maps, so it more or less becomes a ball or a wad. So, I suggest a new offensive term that is just as sexist, but turns the tables. The Zombies are a Wad and we're going to be "Shooting our Wads"

LOL

I do not use the word rape train, but I do use training/train because 1) Rape Train is widely accepted and 2) you more or less are creating a "Train" of zombies, one behind the other in a nice straight line.

LOL

Just because it is widely accepted does not mean it should be used.

To be honest, I get mad and frustrated at lag comp, rubber bullet BS once in awhile and let slip an occasional "What The Fuck" and "What Lousy Horseshit!". But I have never once used the term ever. I know people who have been affected by rape, and it's no laughing matter.

-Whiskey