Terminology That Offends...

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Op, I respect your opinion, but differ from it.

I grew up in Jersey, where not using offensive terms as often as possible is deemed offensive.

Just reading your post I thought: this is why I never play with randoms.

Words have power over you only if you let them. No word is evil, censorship is. Never make this mistake again.

While I found your post offensive, I know that it was not intentional, please don't take offense at mine either, as I mean none to you.

I find it offensive that you did not agree that it was offensive.

Ridiculous right? That's because it is. You should never be offended from the LACK OF something. You can say differing beliefs/cultures or whatever you want, but there is an underlying universal human ethic. And using an evil word with intentional disregard to its hurt is reasonably considered in itself evil.

Ninezerowill's post was NOT offensive, and to say it is is atrocious.

I find the term very ugly, and I refuse to use it for anything gaming related.

I don't think influential youtubers like Syndicate or Yoteslaya think about how horrible that term must be to hear for anyone who has ever been a victim of rape. Either that, or they just don't care.

Yet it rolls off the tongue for many because our community is so conditioned to saying and hearing it.

I don't think it helps invite female gamers into the community or makes them feel welcome. The amount of sexism in the gaming community is something the male side really needs to work on. This is just one small piece of it.

I tend to say "Kiting" or simply "Training" the zombies. I picked up the term "Kiting" from playing World of Warcraft, back when that game was sorta new. I like Tom's term "Conga Lines" too, lol.

- Mix

I have always called it 'training' after watching the originals perfect the art when Verrückt came out.

Using the term 'rape', especially in a comedic way, I think is highly offensive & disrespectful for anyone that appreciates women. Even though rape can go both ways.

Another term for Training, kiting or hoarding I use & with a touch of great Australian Slang is - Doin' some figure 8's.

Great thread & topic.

Although I don't use it either (I use hording), I don't see it as being such a crude word. Sure, it may be touching it a little, but I honestly don't mind people using it (I myself, when clutching games of zombies and getting all giddy with excitement have blurted it out randomly though rarely). I just prefer using other words to describe getting a group of zombies together and popping their heads...

You want to know terminology that offends me in zombies?! When people call the Perk-A-Cola's by their online perk equivalents... Like calling 'Speed Cola' 'Sleight Of Hand'. NO! IT'S SPEED COLA! DON'T USE THAT ONLINE BS AROUND ME1!

That honestly drives me insane...

To OP, if it matters that much to you, contact Sindicate and other tubers, tell them what you think and why, then offer them an alternative. You might be pointing something out to them that they were not aware of.

I have messaged a few of them. They all told me to buzz off pretty much.

They don't care if they offend anyone, they just want subscribers and views.

Well, they can suck a rotten egg for all I care.

-Whiskey

Yeah, they don't really care how the viewers feel(trust me on this they don't) and like ninezerowill already said they only care about more views and suscribers. The more likes and views, the more money. When they make like 1,000,000 suscriber specials it's just to get more suscribers. They just don't care and that's life.

• Administrators

While I'm not a terminology expert of any sort, I tend to use words in appropriate context. For instance, when you're playing a video game with someone, there is a huge difference between "fuck yes" and "fuck no". [Pardon my language.] But the way you put it ninezero, you are absolutely correct. Rape is not something that a person can walk around exclaiming just because it's easy to say. It's vulgar, offensive, and a highly sensitive subject to any person really. If this were to be kept up, the zombie community would think that attaching "rape" to any other term would be okay, when it actually isn't.

There are so many other terms you can say, much of which has already been said - training, kiting, looping, circling, etc. Of all terms to use, I don't see how "raping" zombies would even be considered on any level of maturity. Thank you for calling this out, friendo. :)

To OP, if it matters that much to you, contact Sindicate and other tubers, tell them what you think and why, then offer them an alternative. You might be pointing something out to them that they were not aware of.

I have messaged a few of them. They all told me to buzz off pretty much.

They don't care if they offend anyone, they just want subscribers and views.

Well, they can suck a rotten egg for all I care.

-Whiskey

I am sorry to hear this, a question I would ask is

"Why do Treyarch continue to promote these players through social media and other means?"

If its all about the money cup, then put pressure on the source of income. A couple of well placed articles and a push on social media to spark a debate, might just be enough to cause Treyarch to have a word in the ear of a few big tubers.

As far as I am concerned Treyarch and Activision have been riding a big wave called contradiction for long enough.

While I'm not a terminology expert of any sort, I tend to use words in appropriate context. For instance, when you're playing a video game with someone, there is a huge difference between "fuck yes" and "fuck no". [Pardon my language.] But the way you put it ninezero, you are absolutely correct. Rape is not something that a person can walk around exclaiming just because it's easy to say. It's vulgar, offensive, and a highly sensitive subject to any person really. If this were to be kept up, the zombie community would think that attaching "rape" to any other term would be okay, when it actually isn't.

There are so many other terms you can say, much of which has already been said - training, kiting, looping, circling, etc. Of all terms to use, I don't see how "raping" zombies would even be considered on any level of maturity. Thank you for calling this out, friendo. :)

Well thanks for your input. It's good to know that many others agree with me.

-Whiskey

i call it hoarding

Excellent way to describe it.

See?

Just because some mindless numbers-obsessed twat coins a term, does not mean there are other terms to describe the same thing.

-Whiskey

i'm offended by twat... many people say offensive things. If you don't like the term, don't use it. It's very simple... some people may not be offended by it, some may. Just like if you are offended by strong language, don't go see rated R movies. if you are offended by things people say over xbox live, don't play on xbox live.

i'm offended by twat... many people say offensive things. If you don't like the term, don't use it. It's very simple... some people may not be offended by it, some may. Just like if you are offended by strong language, don't go see rated R movies. if you are offended by things people say over xbox live, don't play on xbox live.

The term "twat" doesn't affect or offend a specific gender, "rape" does.

Thanks for your input.

-Whiskey

The term "twat" doesn't affect or offend a specific gender, "rape" does.

Thanks for your input.

-Whiskey

ummmm i'm afraid that any gender can be a victim of rape. and twat is a slang term for female genitalia.... so actually the opposite is true.

my point was, people will say offensive things... it's up to you as to whether you are going to put yourself in a situation where you'll be offended. If you play xbox live, you have decided to put yourself in a position where you may hear offensive things.

my point was, people will say offensive things... it's up to you as to whether you are going to put yourself in a situation where you'll be offended. If you play xbox live, you have decided to put yourself in a position where you may hear offensive things.

That is just crap.

You can try to avoid it, but not all situations are avoidable, and not all should be. Its MY Xbox. It's MY account of Xbox Live. It's MY year's worth of membership. As long as I am in line with the License Agreement, I should be allowed to do whatever I want. You can talk profanely, but don't expect ME to get off MY Xbox because of YOU. We will simply play with more mature people.

If you talk profanely, you will be your own worst enemy, wondering why are your friends are just as vulgar as you. And usually, if you care not for what you say hurts those around you, you and those around you will also neglectfully hurt each other. "It's not a big deal dude" =_=

I can't be bothered to argue with small-minded opinions.

Yes, ANYONE can be "raped". But it is more inclined to affect females rather than men.

"Twat" is a slang word used commonly. The term "rape" only comes to mind when someone is known to have forced themselves on another person physically.

"Twat" is much more commonly used than the word "rape". Therefore it is MORE likely to offend a greater number of people when used or spoken.

-Whiskey