Information Architecture :))

WhosOnFirst

The spawn room above the elevator features what may be a BINARY code. The grid is 5 across and 8 down. So I looked for 5bit binary codes that were or are in use today. I came across a few, such as the Fracis Bacon Cipher which I was able to quickly rule out.

Then I came across the telegraphy transmission code created by Émile Baudot. This was called simply the Baudot code or International Telegraph Alphabet No. 1.

So the pic below is a representation of the set of circlular tiles we find above the elevator shaft in the spawn room.

Below I have isolated the main circles, as they are possibly independent of the circles contained within them. Also below this is an example of the Baudot code to make a comparison for yourself.

If we use the Baudot code to decipher these rows of tiles going top to bottom left to right we get

OOOOO =P%NUL
OO =J
OO O =R
OO OO =N
OOO =O
O O =G
O OO =Z
OOOOO =P%NUL
This can be checked against the table above or any other source of your choosing, it would be helpful if you could do this; as there are a few differing tables out there. So if I am correct the tiles above the elavater door spell out JRNOGZ, possibly an error or coincidence, possibly a reference to JUGGERNOGZ. The choice is yours to make, however I personaly thought this was worthy of a little more investigation. Next I looked at the voids or inner circles contained within the tiles found. The pic I made of these is below. Again, as when we first looked at our tiles, this also has the possibilty to be read as a BINARY system. This is because each of the dots represents one of either two states. On/Off, Up/Down, Left/Right or 0 and 1 (0/1). My first thought was to have a quick gander at Morse code because of the connection to telegraphy. If we look at Morse placed next to the picture of the inner circles/voids, we can better see the relationship. If we take all the circles aligned to the right and mark them down as dashes and take the remainder of the circles that are aligned to the left and mark them down as dots, this is what we get.

- - . - - NUL . . - . .
- . N A . -
. - . R K - . -
- - . - Q F . . - .
- - - O S . . .
. - A N - .
- . - K R . - .
- - . - - NUL . . - . .
As you can see above, on the right hand side I reversed the polarity. Not knowing the initial state; had there been one; I needed to check both possible outcomes. Again, you might want to take the opportunity to double check my work. Staying with the inner circles, as the Morse code did not seem to yield anything useful; I rotated the grid. I did this as it seemed to me, had information been layered one on top of another; this might have not been possible while maintaining the same orientation. This would seem to be backed up by the fact both the top and bottom of the Baudot code return NUL. I can kid myself right? So now we have a grid which gives 5 lines of possible 8bit length code. The problem now is that we have 3 states. Blank spaces, a dot which is up and a dot which is down.

128 64 32 16 8 4 2 1
1 * 0 1 1 * * 1
1 * * 0 1 1 1 1
0 0 * * 1 * 1 1
1 1 1 1 * 0 * 1
1 * 0 1 * * 1 1

So we can do the sums, reverse the polarity and do the sums again; plug the results into something like an ASCii table to convert to English and see if we get anything useful.

So far I have not had the time to follow up on this, also the three states of information means that there is no defined way as to how we apply the sums. Perhaps using Binary for the inner circles is a mistake.

It might be that there is another entirely different way to decipher this code, if it is a code at all. However the only way to find out is to work with what we have, and see where it leads us. There could perhaps be another code related to this somewhere around Juggernog, or not.

So I thought I would post this for now, as somone might see something I did not and take it a little further, or this thread might die a lonely death forever alone; either way have fun. If I find anything further myself I will update the thread. :D

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrators

Not to sound rude or anything, but what exactly does this have to do with the map? No doubt, it's great that you found a binary code connection relating to a possible perk machine (based on why you say it may be in reference to Juggernog(z)). I would like to know how this connects to anything.

Not to sound rude or anything, but what exactly does this have to do with the map? No doubt, it's great that you found a binary code connection relating to a possible perk machine (based on why you say it may be in reference to Juggernog(z)). I would like to know how this connects to anything.

So would I IL, let me know if you find anything :D

Thanks for the input from everyone. I have played around a little more with the inner circles, however I feel if there is something there it wont be made known for a while.

I look at it this way, the code (possible) is in the starting room/ spawn area. Most of the good codes I have seen require you to go full circle back on yourself to be able to see things in a new light.

I just noticed I had made a mistake with the binary chart on the bottom of the OP, kinda gutted no one else picked up on that..

• 9 months later...

This is one of those great threads that sadly gets sunken. I missed this thread & found it while looking at binary for something else in Zombies.

I'm no decoder/Decrypter, but I would love for this to be solved.

@ WhosOnFirst, I have many questions regarding some of your great posts. I hope your still lurking.