Tertiary node

AntJac

"Excellent, you have activated the 2 obtuse vertices of the scalene, quickly complete the tertiary node."

Tertiary: Third in order or level.

Node: A point at which lines or pathways intersect or branch; a central or connecting point.

"You have done well. Now activate the Spires, power. Are you circumcised? Oh hold on."

The CIRCUMCENTER of a triangle is the point in the plane equidistant from the three vertices of the triangle. Since a point equidistant from two points lies on the perpendicular bisector of the segment determined by the two points, the circumcenter (labeled below) is the point of concurrency of the three perpendicular bisectors of each side of the triangle.

The basic construction of the circumcenter is to identify the midpoints of the original triangle. In the picture above the original triangle is triangle ACD.

The circumcenter was constructed by identifying the midpoints of the segments AC, CD, and DA. Then a perpendicular line was drawn through the midpoints perpendicular to the side segment.

This particular example is of an acute scalene triangle. Let’s now explore what happens to the circumcenter in other types of triangles.

First let’s look at a right triangle.

Notice that the circumcenter is now on the segment AD of the triangle ACD

I wonder what would happen if the right triangle was an isosceles right triangle?

Notice this time the line from the midpoint of AD perpendicular to AD now passes through the vertex C of triangle ACD.

Now that we have explored acute and right triangles let’s now look at obtuse triangles.

Let’s also note where the circumcenter gets its name. The circumcenter is also the center of circle that the triangle is circumscribed inside of. You may be asking yourself, “What does circumscribed mean?” Let’s look at the picture of our triangle and it’s circumcircle.

Courtesy of http://jwilson.coe.uga.edu/emat6680fa05 ... nt%204.htm

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrators

Thank you for translating the trigonometric description of the tertiary node. It gives us a better insight as to what Maxis is talking about exactly. It's better we know what shape(s) he is trying to convey to us rather than going about it in the dark. :)

If I recall correctly, the system could be completed if you powered up the streetlights at the Bus Depot and Diner. I'm assuming that's already one of the many possibilities. Given that we are supposed to complete a scalene, that's what we want to focus on.

There is one misconception that (from what I am reading in your post) there are two obtuse vertices. As you know, a triangle consists of three points. Just because it is called the trichotomous system does not qualify it to be a triangle. Yes, we are given three locations to set our Turbines down (under pylon, depot, diner) so that would essentially form a triangle according to our standards. There are three points, but any parallelogram can have at least three points. For instance, a scalene parallelogram can have two obtuse vertices with unequal side lengths. That would make an ideal shape for what Maxis is wanting us to create; however, we don't know for certain what shape it will exactly make. We just know that two obtuse vertices (which is plural, so two angles are being considered here) are in the coordinates of the shape.

The closest shape that I could think of is a diamond. Of course, you can't exactly have a scalene diamond (as that would be like saying you have a scalene square). The circumcenter is the pylon itself, no doubt about that. Honestly, I want to just say it doesn't matter what we know about shapes and geometry, but what if this kind of ordeal happens again in later maps in which we need to find precise points to power said systems. Gah, screw you Maxis.

I was thinking of this kind of thing since I heard that one Maxis quote. And to be honest, I'm very surprised that nobody else put up a post like this. The only problem is finding the correct combo of vertices and such, and, even if those are found, how can we be sure that Treyarch isn't just being an asshole with this EE and egging us on? That's kind of how I feel about them right now, haha.

Anyway, very thought out. I like the theory :)

http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/9667_142931035856021_963672700_n.jpg

Another map that looks to be pretty much to scale.

Please see my thread about Russman being the only one that was able to hear Maxis say these things in our game Monday after completing the tower of babble.

If you guys are playing with this please take note of who you are playing this and whether or not you can hear them.

If Russman is the only one that can hear this.. I'd say we are definitely on to something, probably another way to complete the tower of babble.

It would also explain why it seems so few people take interest in this subject.

I believe looking at the map I am posting, and the information you provided.. that the Obtuse Scalene would mean the TOWER, the CABIN, and the BRIDGE... or the DINER, the TOWER, and the TOWN.

All others appear (if the map is to scale) that the lengths are very close to the same or form right triangles....

Has anyone gotten a decent view of Green Run from up high, noclip and such?

Then we could get a perfect scale image in order to continue this - I do like the iead of we have to activate specific nodes in order to reach a 'next step'

As a side note, are the beams meant to shoot from the lamps every game after you've done the EE? Because I haven't seen them since the time I did it, and I miss them :?

I think that was his Nerdy Way of saying "Power Up the Tower"

Oh by the way, I've complete Maxis side early this morning and learned that even with four players all you need is Two Turbines. You can take the Turbines from the Tower to two of the street lights.

Think about it. Two Streetlights + Tower = Tip that needs three sides.

This is probably nothing but a spam post but its way over my head atm with other things going on so I thought I would throw it out there for you guys.

I was doing some research and was looking into the Towers themselves and how they are constructed etc when I realize all I'm reading about is triangles. Instantly made me think of this thread and then started visualizing the complexity of all of this and thought maybe were under doing it.

Long story short the tower itself is made up of many triangles as well as the points they are making us activate so maybe this "System" isn't just one being created but multiple triangles to correctly work. Is there anything to what he's saying that could be taken into a broader sense? I've read before that what he's saying doesn't make sense when speaking of one object but what if it was a system of many?

-KeredNomrah69