Die Rise - When and Where.

Taklok

As many of you can tell from the trailer, High Rise takes place in skyscrapers, in what seems to be a modern looking city. I've seen talk here that the map is actually set in the future: today's time as opposed to the 1960s, the time frame we currently believe Green Run is in. I'm here to tell you why that's wrong. But first, let's talk location.

Location wise, we know the map is in the far east, China to be precise. This can be told for a few reasons, namely the architecture seen in the trailer and a few decorations. In the trailer, we see a few Chinese paper lanterns, plus we see the the room with the statue in it. I think that so far, we're all agreeing at China so far, but here are a couple of pictures anyway just to illustrate my point.

(Right click and open in a new tab to see the whole picture)

Now, we're all probably wondering WHERE in China. My likely guess is either Shanghai or Beijing, of course. However, I am leaning more towards Shanghai, simply for the reason of the Oriental Pearl Tower. This was mentioned in a previous thread by Flammenwerfer. Simply put, the tower is a TV/Broadcasting tower. Here is a link to Flammenwerfer's thread for pictures of the tower itself. viewtopic.php?f=139&t=27305

Now, let's talk time.

The map is NOT in the future. Period. End of story. Why you're probably asking?

Simple!

The majority of the entire human population is gone. Dead. Kaput. Between fending off zombies and managing the task of not dying off completely, I for one would like to know why we would bother building skyscrapers again before actually repopulating. My second reason for this is the fact that everything is destroyed. Again. All of it. Not just one building where a meteor MAY have crashed, but the entire city. Doesn't make much sense, does it?

What I'm trying to say is that even IF the Green Run crew were to travel into the future, NOTHING would change. It wouldn't look more modern. It wouldn't look like buildings of today's age. It would look exactly as it did in the 1960s, when we THINK the missiles hit.

Now, there is always the possibly that this is an alternate universe where the missiles hit far later in time, but I doubt that.

Map time line wise, Die Rise is after Green Run. My main and ONLY evidence for this is the line from Richtofen after picking up a power up in Green Run, something he says only once per game. The quote involves him coughing and saying that he's still getting used to the Aether. Now can anyone how Die Rise could come before Green Run and why that would be the case? Because I can't.

*cough* "Excuse me, still getting used to the Aether"

So, knowing this, what if Green Run were indeed not set in the 1960s, but were instead just a small town that never adapted to the modern age. Towns like these do still exist, and quite frankly, I don't see why this may not be the case. Die Rise does look fairly modern, but it is NOT possible that that is because that we went into the future.

So now this is open for discussing. Have fun, and I'm waiting to hear what my fellow CoDZ members have to say regarding these things.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

This is actually a very good theory (or whatever you call this). I mean, if they did use teleporters there wouldn't be skyscrapers like shown in the preview. So I guess that it means that Green Run is set in modern times... But then... Does that mean we got everything about Moon and Nuketown wrong (time wise)? And Moon is set in Modern times also? I'm confused...

This is actually a very good theory (or whatever you call this). I mean, if they did use teleporters there wouldn't be skyscrapers like shown in the preview. So I guess that it means that Green Run is set in modern times... But then... Does that mean we got everything about Moon and Nuketown wrong (time wise)? And Moon is set in Modern times also? I'm confused...

Honestly, I'm just as confused as you are about the whole thing, and this is the only rational reason I've thought of. It is possible we were wrong about Moon and Nuketown time wise, but honestly, I don't think we are, which confuses me more.

I'm with you 100%. I think Richtofen's quote is "Cough Cough.. Still getting used to the Aether.."

It's something like that, I'm just not sure about the exact wording, and I can't find an actual transcript of the quotes!

*cough* "Exchuse me, still getting used to ze eether" is how he says it. I usually get it after picking up my first powerup.

Both your previous posts our what makes me unsure about the entire timeline that we've figured out. Something somewhere is wrong. But the only reason Call of The Dead can occur is because of alternate time lines, otherwise it would be all destroyed too. Something is wrong somewhere. But we shall see. I just don't see this map being set in the "future" if Green Run were indeed in the 1960s. The Oriental Pearl Tower was a longshot based on another thread, so who knows. I don't anymore :lol:

Time is a strange thing. I believe everything to be in the same timeline. What does Call of the Dead tell us? That at one point, this gets fixed...at least somewhat. Remember that Maxis and Richtofen both have the goal of bringing the world back to its normal self. Their intentions are different, but goal is the somewhat the same. So CotD would happen after the world was repaired. Possibly zombies had been eradicated by that point...or at least they thought it had. Samantha had taken back over the device, since her body is still there. That would be switching souls back. Sam has awakened the zombies in an attempt to stop what she knows the crew are after. So she awakens the zombies one last time to try to stop everything from happening now that she knows what will occur if she doesn't. Remember that Sam is just a little girl. She doesn't want to destroy the world.

I hope this is easy to understand. It doesn't really pertain to Shanghai I guess haha.

Yes, very understandable. I think that that could be possible, and somewhat likely, but then we're just going in a loop like poor Brock and Gary from Shangri-la. I just don't see this new map being in the "future" or "modern times."

PLOT TWIST: The finale for this game is Call of The Dead 2. With new celebrities. I personally vote the guy who plays Rick from The Walking Dead ;D

Very well explained FatedTitan.

As Richtofen's quote added to the Black Ops version of Shi No Numa states -

Dr. Edward Richtofen: Yes of course! The DG-2 must have overloaded the teleporter ripping space-time, back tracing us across the future! How Wonderful!

Maybe we 'Heal' the Earth with all this energy in the Ionoshere like the alledged use of HAARP for weather control?

Pretty good theory; I think the closest one we have to the Black Ops II timeline. Reading the replies, it seems people have started rethinking the dates of Moon, Nuketown, etc. My personal theory was the maps after CotD have taken place in the future, and that Green Run was, as you stated, simply a town that remained untouched in technological advancements. This would explain why Marlton knows so much about the 2025-era weaponry, and why the skyscrapers look so modern, as well as the hidden facilities beneath Green Run (which look very futuristic).

I'm new to the forums, so I just thought I'd share my thoughts on the subject, because it's most definitely a topic worth interest.

-Brett307