The War on Trolls

PatrolinMexican

Just decided to put my 2 cents in, if you guys haven't noticed the troll rate has went up considering the fact we are trying to find out the "next" step, which may be there or not. The thing is when someone has posted a topic saying "FOUND THE NEXT STEP" all we need is one person to say, "put up proof and we will believe you" after that the only reason you should post otherwise is if you believe the person, and even in that moment a PM would be better. This will clean up the forums a little bit more. I apologize if you guys thought this post was unnecessary. Tell me what you think, thanks.

- Sanchez

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Definitely needed to be said. It's not those people's fault. It's the person creating the thread that makes the title of the topic "next step found" when in all actuality they have no idea if it is. 99% of those threads are just theories

You are right. I'm glad to see that someone agrees with me. Let's just be sure to also remind the user who posts the supposedly "next step" that their post is a theory, therefore they should include that within their title, and proof would be needed as well. Thanks for the info Nasdaq401.

- Sanchez

Should I register a new username to reply or go with the one I have? I wont hide my name, I will use the one I registered with.

Lets talk about discussion forums. I have owned discussion forums since 2001. The best thing for any discussion forums is posts. Posts creates activity on forums, and activity brings in new members. Being a website owner, you want as much activity and as many members as you can get. This is where the advertising dollars to pay for a website come from. I own several websites and know exactly how much it costs every month to run it.

The "next step" from the person you called a "troll" in your post, could be the answer everyone is looking for in the next step in an Easter egg. Like it or not.....it's good for this website!

Replies that say "Use the search feature" is one of my biggest pet peaves. In all of my years of being an owner, I have never told anyone to use the search feature, and all of my moderators have been instructed to never say it. The "use the search feature" reply throws up a red flag and the member that posted the original post will go into defensive mode. Besides....someone else may have came along after the original post and may have another answer.

Discussion forums get members of all ages, races, and backgrounds. Everyone needs to work together as a community. When someone posts something, they should not get a response like "there is no fucking pyramid". Seriously.....would you like to be treated that way. Treat others the way you would like to be treated!

This website is not the only fish in the sea. There are lots of other websites out there that would like your members!

Should I register a new username to reply or go with the one I have? I wont hide my name, I will use the one I registered with.

Lets talk about discussion forums. I have owned discussion forums since 2001. The best thing for any discussion forums is posts. Posts creates activity on forums, and activity brings in new members. Being a website owner, you want as much activity and as many members as you can get. This is where the advertising dollars to pay for a website come from. I own several websites and know exactly how much it costs every month to run it.

The "next step" from the person you called a "troll" in your post, could be the answer everyone is looking for in the next step in an Easter egg. Like it or not.....it's good for this website!

Replies that say "Use the search feature" is one of my biggest pet peaves. In all of my years of being an owner, I have never told anyone to use the search feature, and all of my moderators have been instructed to never say it. The "use the search feature" reply throws up a red flag and the member that posted the original post will go into defensive mode. Besides....someone else may have came along after the original post and may have another answer.

Discussion forums get members of all ages, races, and backgrounds. Everyone needs to work together as a community. When someone posts something, they should not get a response like "there is no fucking pyramid". Seriously.....would you like to be treated that way. Treat others the way you would like to be treated!

This website is not the only fish in the sea. There are lots of other websites out there that would like your members!

You have some truth in your posts, but first off you're background information concerning hosting websites was unnecessary, because anyone can open a phpBB forum. (not to sound mean, after all I'm a fellow web page host/programmer)

Yes you mention that these threads spark ideas and make people continue the conversation, and this helps in finding the solution. However, allow to perform a rebuttal, by me saying "troll" I don't mean everyone that, posts a thread saying next step is a "troll" nor am I specifically aiming this at anyone. I've just noticed that when a thread saying "Next Step" rather than "Possible Next Step Theory" makes people assume the route has been found. We then reply with put up a video or a screenshot to prove yourself. What I am saying is rather than continue to post comments like "TROLL" or "He a ******* *** * * * * * *" that is unnecessary. However, I do agree with you saying this a community effort but, by saying that, means that we can't insult each other until nothing is left, we simply call the person out on their "findings" and move on. There are after all a bunch of other threads asking for theories and debunking them.

You also mentioned that the people that say "Found Next Step" in their thread title might be the person that has found the next step. That is true, but if that's the case, when the post the thread, and we request video or picture proof, it should be provided. People who are creditworthy will provide photos and videos, it's the people that say "I found the next step", but for some reason they can't upload a video, when there is a theater mode to render clips for viewing, that I'm talking about.

Lastly, I do understand that this website is one of many, but I personally have been observing the other websites, and I'm more that sufficiently impressed with this one. That is why I chose to make this post, so I can help contribute to make this site stay at #1.

- Sanchez

Actually I use vbulletin.

We need to take in the nature of this website and the average age of the members it attracts. I am sure there are members registered here who are under 10. Everyone gets excited when they think they have found something that may be the next step, and are only trying to help. People get cornered when they get put on the spot to show proof. Not every knows how to make a YouTube video. Perhaps you or someone here will do a tutorial on how to do it. One for each system(ps3, xbox, wii, and pc) would be nice!

There are others who are bs'ers, and have only posted just to post. The posts are what they are. It is your choice on whether you view it or not. Look at the username before you view the post you are unsure about. Its less clicks to hit the back button instead of calling someone out on their post. Oh wait......thats not fun unless you are trying to shame someone.

It only takes a few bad apples to ruin the whole crop. We all need to work together or the hate mongers will drive members away.

Actually I use vbulletin.

We need to take in the nature of this website and the average age of the members it attracts. I am sure there are members registered here who are under 10. Everyone gets excited when they think they have found something that may be the next step, and are only trying to help. People get cornered when they get put on the spot to show proof. Not every knows how to make a YouTube video. Perhaps you or someone here will do a tutorial on how to do it. One for each system(ps3, xbox, wii, and pc) would be nice!

There are others who are bs'ers, and have only posted just to post. The posts are what they are. It is your choice on whether you view it or not. Look at the username before you view the post you are unsure about. Its less clicks to hit the back button instead of calling someone out on their post. Oh wait......thats not fun unless you are trying to shame someone.

It only takes a few bad apples to ruin the whole crop. We all need to work together or the hate mongers will drive members away.

Yes, that's understood. However, when people think they have found the next step, in their title it should read "Possible next step" not "Discovered the Next Step" the two titles mean different things. And no calling someone out doesn't mean we are trying to shame someone we just want to make it clear that they know proof is required. Also, putting a video isn't necessary Call of Duty: Elite is an alternative method. Putting the video in their vault will let others view it.

- Sanchez

Heres a solution that will clear up a lot of these posts. Use the forum software ranking system and custom usergroups. Have a usergroup set up so that a user can not start a thread until they have "x" amount of posts. They will only be able to reply to a thread. After they have "x" amount of posts, the user will rank up to a new usergroup and be able to start threads. It will also prevent someone from reregistering just to start a bitch thread. The admin is also able to view ip addresses and if he chooses can search ip addresses of new members and old members and can see who you are.

You guys with forums should know all this already.

Heres a solution that will clear up a lot of these posts. Use the forum software ranking system and custom usergroups. Have a usergroup set up so that a user can not start a thread until they have "x" amount of posts. They will only be able to reply to a thread. After they have "x" amount of posts, the user will rank up to a new usergroup and be able to start threads. It will also prevent someone from reregistering just to start a bitch thread. The admin is also able to view ip addresses and if he chooses can search ip addresses of new members and old members and can see who you are.

You guys with forums should know all this already.

I've suggested that idea before. The only flaw it really has is that it might discourage users from signing up or staying after they have.

Plus our ranking system is kinda broke...

Yes, you mention a good idea. However, that calls for restructuring the ranking system, which I'm pretty sure Admins' would not like to do. We can perhaps create a ranking system with titles and everything figured out for them and then propose it which just makes them enact it, rather than brainstorming for it and etc. (although that doesn't take long either)

- Sanchez

Leave the ranks the way they are. Create a new usergroup that new members go into when they register. Make it so they do not have permission to start a new thread, except for in the welcome center, and then after 5(your choice) posts(replies) they rank up to the regular usergroup.

This is phbb and not vBulletin.....so I am not 100% sure how the software operates.

I have found Forums r really strange this way. People will post I'm sick of reading next step post's sick of reading theories. When all you have to do is not click on it. I don't know if you do, but I find that funny. Your eyes kind of work like that wheel on your mouse, just scroll down and skip it.

I have gotten so use to reading through these threads and moving on if its going nowhere, that it really doesn't bother me anymore.

All fun aside I do think there should be an easter egg discussion, so we can clog that one up.

I have found Forums r really strange this way. People will post I'm sick of reading next step post's sick of reading theories. When all you have to do is not click on it. I don't know if you do, but I find that funny. Your eyes kind of work like that wheel on your mouse, just scroll down and skip it.

I have gotten so use to reading through these threads and moving on if its going nowhere, that it really doesn't bother me anymore.

All fun aside I do think there should be an easter egg discussion, so we can clog that one up.

The problem that is being discussed is people starting threads with misleading titles. Yes, I can avoid a thread that's titled "Try my 5,835th theory!!", because I know it's just gonna be some little kid's ramblings about a lame idea that popped into his head. But if I see a thread titled "I've found the next step!! Proof!!", I'm going to open it expecting the post to reflect the title. Instead, the post reads "Try my 5,835th theory!!" and contains some little kid's ramblings about some lame idea that popped into his head. And his idea of "proof" is "It totally makes sense in my mind so it's pretty much a fact and you can't disagree with me."

In short, how do I avoid threads I'm not interested in if the titles are misleading and don't represent the content of the post?

As for SlashRacer... Yes, we could implement a system where you need X amount of posts to start a new thread.... which will result in people spamming posts until they reach their quota. That doesn't really help. And I think we're talking about something totally different than you. We are discussing ways to make a forum easier to find what you're looking for, make it less cluttered, and being able to click on a thread and know exactly what you're going to find in it based on the title (you know, the way a forum is supposed to work). You're talking about maximizing hits in order to bring in more ad revenue. These are two completely different things that have two completely different approaches. It's like searching for something, finding a page that seems to have what you're looking for, going to that page, and finding that it is just a series of links to other pages. Do those pages bring in advertising money? Sure. Do they serve any purpose otherwise? No.

I have owned forums also.... I didn't sell any advertising space or try to make a dime off of them. They existed for discussion. Server space is really not that expensive. You don't want to tell anyone to search for something because you want as many users as possible to bring in as much money as they can. Fair enough... but a forum that's full of repetitive, cluttered, pointless posts are going to scare off regulars that actually may have some knowledge of what is being discussed. For you that's fine because you're getting a constant influx of new members giving you ad money. For the discussion it's horrible.

I do not believe you will be able to control the words that someone uses to start their posts. You can edit them and change them. What are your moderator duties here? I use mine to manage the threads, such as editing the titles, checking the content and moving them ton the correct forum.

Instead of requiring x amount of posts before you can start a thread, you can create private catagories in the forums that are viewable or hidden. You could have these rank based, donating member based, or whatever. In one of my forums, I have 5 different hidden categories, and access to them depends on what usergroup a member is in.

There are lots of options

I agree with you 1000000%.

The people who say to use the search bar irritate me beyond belief. I've said numerous times over the past year that this forum is no longer the "family" that it used to be, and people who yell at each other over theories is the exact reason WHY this forum is no longer close.

Short version:

Let people post theories and videos, as long as they have proof/ evidence. Telling them to use the search bar, while shooting down EXCELLENT theories, won't help, and will make more people leave the site.

You do all realize what your doing right? Your trolling the trollers. By jumping into someones topic and reducing yourself to there "Nuh uh!" you are in fact trolling the very same thread.

Dont like a thread, move on like they've said. Abusive threads Mods will handle. If you have proof then post the gameplay, don't fall into the I don't believe you because I know better. We all think we're right, we are human after all.

• Administrators

also complaining and dedicating whole topics to them just encourages it more.

This pretty much sums it up in the end.

In all honesty, creating a thread to call out trolls or people who claim to have found "the next step" was not the brightest idea. Who is anyone on CoDz to have the authority to deem someone's speculation/theory/idea "trollish" or "stupid"? This community was founded on the sharing of ideas by various users with the similar interest: zombies. If you have a problem with believing someone on a particular subject, then ignore it. If you understand their concept but have a rebuttal, then post it in positive context; insults put you on a lower level than everyone else.

Whatever happened to "if you have nothing nice to say, then say nothing at all"? The problem on CoDz isn't the trolls. The problem is the members that are too ignorant and dignified to allow the expression of ideas. Shooting down new ideas (whether you think they're logical or not) is the wrong way to go. If there really is a troll, all it takes is one person to experiment a bit out of their day, think of a logical reply to answer the OP's question/challenge it. The staff will then handle any further circumstances if necessary.

Simply put, don't reply to someone if you dislike their ideas. All of us have been a "noob" at one point or another. Nobody likes being insulted, so why should you suddenly have that power?

Many of you are confusing and infusing multiple ideas. My point was to give notice to those who have posted misleading titles, reason for calling them trolls, was because it fits best. The only other name I could find suitable is false leading poster, which is entirely too long. Not saying that I'm just calling people names, I just mean I hope you can reconsider your titles to include appropriate words such as Theory, Proof, etc. I mean no harm or need to insult anyone, I just hoped for a cleaner structure. Because as I've noticed and am pretty sure a good portion of the community is tired of reading posts saying they have found the next step when it's just a theory. That's all this thread was about; misleading titles. Fin!

- Sanchez