Black Hat PDA: The Greatest Thing Ever

Electric Jesus

Alright people, after using it excessively, I have come to the conclusion that the black hat single-use hacking device special grenade is the best thing ever. Here's why.

This is an AMAZING contributor to achieving scorestreak rewards. It has unlimited range and can even hack stuff through walls. I use it in conjunction with Engineer, so I can see every little bit of equipment in the world. For example I was in the area beneath flag B in domination on hijacked (the tunnel-y place) and some fool kept placing turrets and guardians on the flag. I could hack them THROUGH THE CEILING earning over 100 score per hack.

Back on the topic of it helping your score, hacking any small equipment like claymores off shock charges turns it into your own, effectively turning it against your opponent, and also this awards 50 score. Hacking Guardians and sentries award either 125 or 150 score (can't remember lol). Using it on a mounted sentry or guardian will simply destroy it though and not re-wire it.

If you use it on aircraft it counts As a single homing missile. Using it on a uav awards 75 and 100 on a counter uav, destroying each. If you use it on a stealth chopper or other aircraft it takes multiple attempts, as the first will simply get rid of a flare.

If you get a care package caught on a roof or out of the map you can simply use a hacker to capture it with unlimited range, even through some obstacles. Also if you hack an enemy care package it captures it and awards 100+ score (can't remember exact value here either)

One other thing to note about care packages is that if you see an enemy care package carrier approaching on the horizon, hack it! If you do it quickly enough you can blow it up and prevent them from getting the crate, also earning 125 score. Plus even if it is obvious that the hacking process will not prevent the player from getting the crate in time, you can continue to hack it as it flies away, still earning your 125 points.

So yeah, this thing is really great. On average you can hack a piece of equipment in almost every life, essentially earning the same amount of score you'd earn from a kill, saving you from the need to go out on a risky mission.

So if you haven't given this a shot yet, try this out! I am 87% sure you won't regret it.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrators

Black Hat PDAs are essential to anyone who is a serious team player. These suckers come in handy extremely in games like Search & Destroy, Demolition, and Capture the Flag. Like EJ said, attach your Engineer class and you're set to become God of electronics. Honestly, there is no backslash to this item. Unlike most of your other secondary items, a BH PDA will never turn against you. None of your enemies will ever know you have one on you. Once again, it can hack through walls, from a distance, and virtually hack anything that is not yours. I'm surprised that a majority of BOII players don't have this.

I love it.

Especially when you're near the enemy spawn area, and they have a care package coming. Just hack it through the wall. If you can manage to do it before they do, you will successfully hack it, and turn it against the enemy.

Before one of the updates, you could hack a friendly players care package the speed of hacking equipment. Way faster than the owner could hack it. They changed this after an update though.

Especially fun when you hack an enemies equipment while they stay in a certain area (ie; Top floor of Hijacked), and than run in there, kill them, and place your own equipment down for extra protection. :D

I actually remember, I got Final Killcam. It showed me hacking a Betty, while two players ran past it. One of my proudest achievements haha!

As I said, I love it! :D

Thanks for the input guys! Upon further review, it has long range but not unlimited. It is relative to the size of the subject of your hackingliness. This explains why you are still able to hack planes and choppers.

Also the person in Ex's video failed to demonstrate how one of its best uses is taking down care package crates, as it grants 125 score and if done quickly denies them access to a potentially devastating reward. Also bonus points if they rage quit when their swarm falls out of the map. Of only they had a hacker...

How tough am i? HOW TOUGH AM I?! I'll have you know I just ended a ten killstreak by dropping my own crate on my head, and I only cried for twenty minutes. True story.

• 3 weeks later...

It's a good thing to have, I agree. But I think it's not that good. I prefer EMP grenade. It's easier to use, does not hack any equipment but can destroy multiple items. Also, you get an EMP assis which is 50 points, and you get more assists with it as it works through walls. And, you can destroy hunter killers with it. I've never managed to hack that drone with Black Hat.

But, Black Hat is very good, especially to use on aircraft. I've stared using it after reading this thread and agreem it's useful.

It's a good thing to have, I agree. But I think it's not that good. I prefer EMP grenade. It's easier to use, does not hack any equipment but can destroy multiple items. Also, you get an EMP assis which is 50 points, and you get more assists with it as it works through walls. And, you can destroy hunter killers with it. I've never managed to hack that drone with Black Hat.

But, Black Hat is very good, especially to use on aircraft. I've stared using it after reading this thread and agreem it's useful.

Fun fact: when I hack a piece of equipment I always say "Boop" out loud, even though 95% of the time I'm alone. :mrgreen:

It destroys Hunter Killers? That's pretty lucky, I mean it seems like you'd have to throw before it even targets you, than get lucky that it goes off when it's near you. Still, the explosion would damage I imagine.

Also I don't think drones are hackable. I don't think they pop up red with Engineering, same with RC-XD.

I'm inclined to agree. EMPs just seem more useful in more situations than Black Hat does.

Can someone tell me what Sensor Grenades and Trophy Systems do? The descriptions are a bit vague to me. I've used them in game as well, and I just did not know how to use them...

• Administrators

Can someone tell me what Sensor Grenades and Trophy Systems do? The descriptions are a bit vague to me. I've used them in game as well, and I just did not know how to use them...

Sensor Grenades are only useful on Core; they detect any enemies in a certain life of sight (motion really). Once it has attempted to detect a figure, it will implode about 5 seconds later, making it a semi-lethal grenade. The only downfall is that it must be somewhere near the enemy. If you toss it on the first floor of the building and the enemy is on the second floor, it will not detect anything. It is good, though, if you want to ensure that nobody is in a particular area.

Trophy System disable any and all electrical equipment within a given radius. It also disables their effects, as well as Sensor Grenades. From what I know, it also disables Hunter Killers when they are nearby. Think of it as the Jammer from Black Ops. It's just a huge, spinning machine that is very hard to ignore.

Trophy system is a camper's best friend, but they are usually put on objectives too. Any grenade or equipment thrown near it is disabled, making a whole area with a radius of several meters immune to anything but bullets and melee. They aren't too hard to get rid of though. I once saw a sniper camping with 2 trophy systems and 2 bouncing Betties around him. What a pro! I had engineer though so I shot them through the floor below him. Hehe...

Oh wow. Trophy seems nice! I rarely see them actually, but I imagine they would be helpful with Demolition, Domination, just all the Objective based modes where you need to be at a fixed point. Would really help with grenades.

Sensor Grenades I have only ever seen once on someone else. Does it have a VSAT effect though? When I threw mine, I was getting the effect of them in a small circle area of the minimap, and I was confused as to if that was an effect or not?

Oh wow. Trophy seems nice! I rarely see them actually, but I imagine they would be helpful with Demolition, Domination, just all the Objective based modes where you need to be at a fixed point. Would really help with grenades.

Sensor Grenades I have only ever seen once on someone else. Does it have a VSAT effect though? When I threw mine, I was getting the effect of them in a small circle area of the minimap, and I was confused as to if that was an effect or not?

Yes, it is a VSAT like effect.

• 2 weeks later...

I do use black hats a lot after finally realizing how useful they can be. Running a black hat with scavenger is a great way to end up at the top of the lobby leaderboard. I'm not sure if I like them more than emp grenades but it depends if I am using ghost or not.

I do die a lot waiting for the thing to hack UAVs and Counter UAVs. I wish that would be sped up slightly.

I have never really used the black hat or run with enginneer until I opened this post. This information was very helpful as to what it does and has the potintial to do with some skill. Props @Electric Jesus for making this thread. I now run with blackhat about every other round. Its fun!!! Hacking a snipers claymore then shooting at him just to show him your there and run down the stairs, when he runs for you BOOM!!!! (lol) :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Played TDM on Express. Found some Betties in the staircase leading up to one of those hallways overlooking the trains. Hacked them both, ran up into the hall and killed the sniper. Left the hallway and I guess either a bunch of new players joined in the match or a group respawned, because alluva sudden I got four kills at once due to those betties.

Black Hat + Engineer FTW