Scalene w/ 2 obtuse vertices - Not a triangle?

gxdia

Hey guys, long time lurker, first time poster.

I did a little research and since maxis doesn't ever specifically mention a 'triangle', I looked for other shapes that could have 'scalene' versions, as well as obtuse vertices...

and I came across this: http://lmgtfy.com/?q=scalene+ellipsoid

Scalene Ellipsoid

Could it be that we need to think in 3D? With the top of the spire being the upper limit of the Ellipsoid, and four turbines down making the other 4 outer limits? Could the moon, which has been proven to be under the map, make up the last point? Interestingly enough, an Ellipsoid is in the shape of an egg.

I made a (very crude) mockup to explain what I'm saying:

Thoughts?

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its been posted before that there's 8 lamps, 2 sides, 4 turbine max in a game. If this is so then maybe 4 lamps with turbine under it set off a richtofen thing or maxis thing. Just which 4. In any case it would be back to getting 4 guys to drop a turbine under every different 4 lamp combo. The shape of the map and maxis' whole scalene/obtuse blah blah blah would pretty much be a moot point as everyone just speculates as to which 4 lamps it is anyway.

Maxis quotes from TranZit:

"That is what one of the required 3 points to complete design."

"You have done well but we need yet more energy. This is (of the tip) of what need three sides. Now create the (tricontomous) System."

"Excellent, you have activated the 2 obtuse vertices of the scalene, quickly complete the tertiary (node)."

"Good the trichotomous system is now complete."

-3 points

-3 sides

-Tertiary = 3rd on order

-Trichotomous = a system of 3

Sounds like a triangle in my opinion.

Maxis quotes from TranZit:

"That is what one of the required 3 points to complete design."

"You have done well but we need yet more energy. This is (of the tip) of what need three sides. Now create the (tricontomous) System."

"Excellent, you have activated the 2 obtuse vertices of the scalene, quickly complete the tertiary (node)."

"Good the trichotomous system is now complete."

-3 points

-3 sides

-Tertiary = 3rd on order

-Trichotomous = a system of 3

Sounds like a triangle in my opinion.

A triangle can't have 2 obtuse vertices.

But then again, I have gone this theory over and over, even posted a thread about it last week. I'm starting to think that whoever wrote that line simply screwed up, and instead of refering to acute vertices, refered to obtuse vertices.

Ive thrown the Idea out their that GreenRun/TranZit is a Clock, Or by looking at it from a Birds-Eye View. The Clocks are showing you 2 different times, but as well as two different Angles, = 7:49. Put them together & it looks something like this, >

The problem with the clock idea is that there would have to be some clue in game that gives you any position of the clock as a starting point. Most people use the "12" spot on a clock, so what can be the 12 spot in the map?

Some may say what ever is North, but direction North has no relation to the "12" spot on a clock.

I like your thinking, however, it doesn't really make sense to talk about obtuse angles on an ellipsoid. You could take 3 points on the surface of the ellipsoid and talk about the angle it creates but thats not what you're doing here. You're taking a conic section from it.

I think the considering Maxis' quotes that we are dealing with a three point system. The two "obtuse vertices" statement I believe to be an oversight by treyach or will make sense in later DLC when the system is made larger.

Also he speaks of obtuse vertices, not angles, which is inherently wrong language to begin with. Otherwise, they mean they are two vertices which create an obtuse angle, Not 2 obtuse angles.

Can somebody define obtuse for me, please?

ob·tuse (b-ts, -tys, b-)

adj.

a. Lacking quickness of perception or intellect.

b. Characterized by a lack of intelligence or sensitivity: an obtuse remark.

c. Not distinctly felt: an obtuse pain.

d. Not sharp, pointed, or acute in form; blunt.

e. Having an obtuse angle: an obtuse triangle.

vertice, plural form of:

ver·tex (vûrtks)

n.

1. The highest point; the apex or summit: the vertex of a mountain.

a. The highest point of the skull.

3. The highest point reached in the apparent motion of a celestial body.

a. The point at which the sides of an angle intersect.

b. The point on a triangle or pyramid opposite to and farthest away from its base.

c. A point on a polyhedron common to three or more sides.

sca·lene (skln, sk-ln)

adj.

Having three unequal sides. Used of triangles.

Personally, I don't think there is a shape involved at all. All three of the above words are open to interpretation. I think there are three steps, or three power sources you must activate. However, so far in MAXIS' Easter Egg, you activate two: you capture the Avogadro under the tower, and you remotely power some lampposts. I think there is a third step to gather/generate power. Whether it involves the generators around the map, the wind propellers at Nacht Der Untoten, or something else entirely. I'm looking for it.

Obtuse, meaning obtuse angle (Bigger than 90 degrees, but less than 180)

Back on topic, what about a scalene trapezium? They can have 2 obtuse vertices.

*Just a thought* If Tranzit was a trapezium, and say to finish the egg we needed DLC for green run, extending line BD and line FP would make it into scalene triangle.

So what im saying is, If we get DLC for green run which would create a scalene triangle, all of Maxis' triangle hinting quotes would make sense.

*Just a thought* If Tranzit was a trapezium, and say to finish the egg we needed DLC for green run, extending line BD and line FP would make it into scalene triangle.

So what im saying is, If we get DLC for green run which would create a scalene triangle, all of Maxis' triangle hinting quotes would make sense.

Scalene is a term used for Triangles only, so it can't be any other geometry other than a triangle.

Shouldn't doing a scalene triangle center around the tower? just a thought, but if that is the case there is only one set of 3 points that would make that possible

then the clock hands would also be 8 and 4 instead of 10 and 8 (as people normally place for maxis easter egg, bus depot[10] and diner[8]) with the turbine in the town possibly activating the clock then put the fourth one on the bus going counter clockwise to possibly turn back time...?

Also on the map in the Bus Depot the routes with the times do NOT say A & B it say A and then EL or possibly BL... I think EL is more likely standing for Evening Line?

Scalene is a term used for Triangles only, so it can't be any other geometry other than a triangle.

Im pretty sure you can use scalene on a trapezium, because it has no equal sides, like a scalene triangle. You can also have a isosceles trapezium.

Im pretty sure you can use scalene on a trapezium, because it has no equal sides, like a scalene triangle. You can also have a isosceles trapezium.

sca·lene (skln, sk-ln)

adj.

Having three unequal sides. Used of triangles.

Like I said before, doesn't apply to other geometries. And if you doubt me, just google it, and open some dictionaries then look for the meaning of it. Only applies to Triangles.

Origin:

mid 17th century: via late Latin from Greek skalēnos 'unequal'; related to skolios 'bent'

Much of the English language is butchered Greek or Latin, whilst the "word" may be applied to Triangles, we are required to put "Triangle" after the word "Scalene" to define its context. This is because "Scalene" on its own means "unequal". Only when we use the word in the context of Triangle "three angels" does it's meaning bloom. Three angles of unequal sides. I dont think it would be the first time that TreyArch have used word play.

That is all, Carrion. :ugeek:

Any shape with no equal sides/equal interior angles can be described as scalene. albeit maybe not the proper mathematical term, but scalene basically means 'unequal sides, unequal interior angles'. Isosceles, Equilateral and Right Angled can also be used to describe another shape other than a triangle.