Official Ranking System Discussion and Theories

• Administrators

It actually makes a whole lot of sense if you break it down. (Let's give Rank the variable Z, score of each game = X, and your total score = Y)

Run BO 2 for the first time. Your total score (X) starts at 0. Imagine you need 1000 total for rank 1, then 3000 for rank 2, then 6000 for rank 3 etc. etc.

For each kill your score (Y) is increased, for each down it gets decreased.

At the end of each game, your kills and downs are both multiplied by the same variable (I think, not sure, this variable is the round you've made it to, I'll check on that), and then relatively added and subtracted to your score (Y).

Then your score gets added to the total score of your profile. (X + Y)

If (X+Y) > X Needed for Next Rank, then Z+1 (in english, you rank up)

It's like an RPG leveling-system, following basic logarithmic.

Treyarch just likes to mess with you so you think there's so much more to it.

[Probably way more complicated than it should be, but I'm a sucker for math]

tumblr_mmi0g62Yt81s65ncbo1_500.gif

• Replies 519
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess if score ranks you up then you'll have shotguns before round 20 using long shot!!!

I think Slade was not referring to "Score" you see in game when you hit start or select. It is a virtual variable he created to demonstrate his theory.

Basically like we have been saying It's a combination of High rounds, Kills with least amount of downs. As a programmer I can say there must be a formula for it.

You can't just say "rounds only" because one can stay in a glitch for 100 rounds and if he doesn't get any kills he/she most likely will not rank up.

Simply speaking, just "Do Good every game". - JZ

I guess if score ranks you up then you'll have shotguns before round 20 using long shot!!!

No, no. The score you see in-game is irrelevant to this. I just used the name score as an example.

There's an algebraic formula somewhere in the game to determine your rank.

f(totalscore) = (kills * 5) - ( (downs * 100) / rounds )

This is a very simply function that captures the gist of how I think the whole system works.

Jimmy said that downs are a problem, especially in low rounds.

That tends me to believe that either your rounds are being multiplied by 0.001 (and then your score gets either added or multiplied by that) or your score is divided by the amount of rounds you've survived.

Both meaning that the more rounds you survive, the better your final score will be.

Here's an example. Let's say:

Person A got 20 kills, 5 downs, and survived 2 rounds.

Person B got 20 kills, 5 downs and survived 10 rounds.

totalscore A = (20 * 5) - ( ( 5 *100) / 2) = 100 - 250 = - 200 

totalscore B = (20 * 5) - ( ( 5 * 100) / 10) = 100 - 50 = 50.

As you can see, even though both got the same amounts of kills and downs, person B got a positive totalscore because he survived more rounds.

To be honest, I've never paid much attention to the rank system discussion because there's so many theories with little to no actual evidence to back up.

I'll go through my game files and I'm 100% certain I'll find something like:

kills * 1000 / rounds = totalscore.

I think Slade was not referring to "Score" you see in game when you hit start or select. It is a virtual variable he created to demonstrate his theory.

Basically like we have been saying It's a combination of High rounds, Kills with least amount of downs. As a programmer I can say there must be a formula for it.

You can't just say "rounds only" because one can stay in a glitch for 100 rounds and if he doesn't get any kills he/she most likely will not rank up.

Simply speaking, just "Do Good every game". - JZ

What is this a response to?

When I said a glitch I meant it hypothetically. It wasn't something we promote here but I used it as an example again to prove a theory.

What is this a response to?

more of a general response and my opinion based on his mentioning of a glitch... not saying anybody here does.

I still don't think kills should be valued as much as the round itself, going down in the higher rounds should be looked at as a challenge to come back from... not a reason to quit the game! lol

I blame the rank system for being the way it is, people catch way too many feels over it.

I believe that rounds have to play some part in the ranking system just don't know how big of a part. The reason I say this is because ppl were glitching on Tranzit when BO2 first dropped and hitting past round 100 with 0 kills and ranking up. It was something to do with claymores in a corner from what I remember. Personally I have always believed your rank has to do with all your stats that show up next to your rank but when you play well your bound to have good stats i guess.

I'm really unsure about the ranking system. I have a fairly low K/D ratio (approximately 50 I'd say), however I go to rounds as high as the 40s when I play solo. Also, when I play Co-Op I make it my mission to revive whenever possible (Quick Revive Pro for the win!) and hit headshots about 50-60% of my kills. However, I am still just a skull. I wish Treyarch wouldn't put so much emphasis on K/D, it sort of ruined the experience and doesn't reward team or support players.

I honestly didnt mind the ranking system its us(the gamers) that go overboard with it. Don't know how many lobbies I went into and had to take flak for having shotguns because I either A. Had no life or B. Had to be a cheater. It was usually from skull ranks who had been talked down to by other Shotgun ranked players in the past and automatically assumed I was a douche as well. In all honestly the people who were stuck on skulls seemed to be the ones who cared about ranks more than anyone like they had a chip on their shoulder or something to prove. As long as your not intoxicated,cheating or a squeaker I will give anyone a shot reguardless of rank because you have to play with someone before you can determine what type of player they are. I seriously hope the next zombies has a ranking system ( I know i'm prob in the minority)but with wayyyy more ranks because shotguns were no challenge for Vets who have been around since WaW.

I honestly didnt mind the ranking system its us(the gamers) that go overboard with it. Don't know how many lobbies I went into and had to take flak for having shotguns because I either A. Had no life or B. Had to be a cheater. It was usually from skull ranks who had been talked down to by other Shotgun ranked players in the past and automatically assumed I was a douche as well. In all honestly the people who were stuck on skulls seemed to be the ones who cared about ranks more than anyone like they had a chip on their shoulder or something to prove.

I totally agree with what you said here. I am skull rank, and constantly when I get into public matches with other skulls, they immediately ready up or ask if I have a mic. However, if a cross bones joins our lobby, they leave, or never ready up until the cross bones leave, and ridicule them with such insults as "fag", "kid" (why is this even a viable insult? zombies have no age preference), and of course, "noob". I am working for shotguns or at least a knife right now and its frustrating playing with bad attitude players of higher rank as they talk down to me constantly. However, I have met a few players who were completely opposite: showed me a good camping spot, only killed zombies when I needed help, and revived immediately. It was pleasant having their support. I guess I do care more about ranks than many just because I'm butt hurt that revives seemingly have nothing to do with it.  

• 3 weeks later...

In the next game there should be specific tasks needed to upgrade one's rank.  Just so expert players actually rank up and don't get stuck with an un-fixable rank of a normal skull. 

I made a post about a great idea somewhere recently… hold on let me find it… 

Ok found it, read it and… Dear god I want this to happen, not for the ranking and all that, but just for that ONE samule quote… Dear god samule NEEDS to say that next game!… LO-Freaking_L

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I know there has been a few months since the last reply on this topic but I think I will weigh in. I started a new PSN (Target_Akawhired) to see how quickly I could earn shotguns playing only Solo and 4-player co-op. I started out with a solo match of Die Rise, reaching about Round 32 with 1400-ish kills, 1 down. I deliberately shot the Jumping Jacks each time they came to avoid obtaining Quick Revive or Who's Who as they both give you two downs for the price of one depending on the round you go down in. I don't think I have ever successfully revived myself with WW in solo. 

Following that, I spent a few days playing Origins in 4-player co-op. I was playing with public match randoms, so I shopped for teammates until I found three players with headsets who sounded like they were very experienced at the map. This worked out well as I played multiple games over the next few days with 1500-2500 kills and between 0-2 downs. I did have like four or five bad solo games where I took a random early down (below Round 10), and some "average" co-op games where I took more downs than usual. My main emphasis during this early part was K/D. My secondary focus was making sure I revived teammates a lot. My revives was more than double my downs for the entire time I was working toward shotguns.

After about 8 days, I had a K/D of 392 (13,340K/34D). One of my friends was in a custom game on Die Rise, so I joined in. Due to joining in late and not spawning near the bank, I took 3 quick downs fighting with wall weapons, and a 4th a few minutes later. Every one else died at that point. I had 75 kills and 4 downs. Game ended, we get back to lobby, and I have shotguns. 

I took my foot off the gas once I earned shotguns and my stats have come down somewhat. I went back to playing mostly solo, and have been attempting to complete the Origins easter egg in solo mode once with each character. I completed everything but the final step (releasing Maxis, ending game) as Richtofen but got greedy for rounds and kept playing. I died in the crazy place in Round 40. A half-day later, I ended the game as Dempsey and the length of the video was 115 minutes (proud of that one!). Since then, I have been attempting to complete what I call the "Drunk Russian Challenge"...which is obtaining all 9 perks AND completing the solo easter egg with Nikolai. To date, I've not been able to complete it but have gathered all of the perks once. It's difficult and tries your patience. What's this have to do with zombie rank? Well, needing to play as Nikolai, I have quit out of MANY solo Origins games when I don't spawn into Round 1 as him. Quitting de-ranked me back to the knife and I had to play for high rounds to get the shotties back, which I thankfully did. Now I just roll with whatever character I get in solo because the quits torpedo your rank more than anything I think. 

It's either that quits are REALLY bad, or those quits are logging each time as a game that only went to Round 1 into my average round/match. Based on all of my observations over the past few weeks working with this ranking system, I would say the order of importance is as follows:

1. Kill/Down Ratio

2. Average Round Reached

3. Not Quitting

4. Reviving Teammates

5. Everything Else

• 3 months later...

Bullets fired 117,190

Bullets Hit 184,781

Deaths 190

Travelled 687

Doors Purchased 409

Downs 282

Gibs 57,905

Grenade Kills 7,653

Headshots 13,689

Kills 39,265

Perks Drank 381

Revives 307

Highest Round Solo

TranZit 40

Survival Bus 12

Survival Farm 29

Survival Town 25

Highest Round

2 Player 21

3 player 33

4 player 28

Rank/Emblem: stuck the last two weeks on Skull with Dagger

Perhaps you could add a new sheet in the information spreadsheet from Tom852

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Akx9iCAz57g3dFdpcTVRMjJNX3BaVHBTOWQyclVBZ1E&pli=1

edit: added highest rounds

• 5 months later...

the raking system is sooo STUPID! you get deranked for not playing....siriously? + why shoulden't we know how to rank up? STUIPID Rankingsystem...... but lets not start talking about Turned...man that is a big failure...who came up with that "out-of-this-world-and-strange-and-stupid-only-to-steal-our-money" idea? moorans....