Official Ranking System Discussion and Theories

Sorry guys but if the ranking system really affects in a negative way your enjoyment of zombies you probably need to get out more, or at least try a different game.

If not then I say get of your arse and do it yourselves, rather than rely on someone else to spoon feed it to you.

lol i guess you can use ur own advice too.

plus nobody is sayin rely on somebody else,

this game originally was sopose to be a co-op game, now because of this is just turning into more of a solo game, just saying

You won't get a lot of downs if you pay attention and play smart, its a simple set of mind. Sure you still have to be a team player, just make sure your smart about your surroundings and you'll be able to explore without deranking. Hell, i did both Tower of Babbles and maybe got downed 4 times, just gotta stay focused man. 8-)

i know about the focus and pay attention basic skills in any game,

but im talking more about attitude of players that now tend to play more solo, and also tend leave/escape games more because of the rank system and importance of the emblem/status

• Replies 519
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You need to continuously raise your K/D ratio throughout all your games. The way the system is set up, there is a separate ratio you must meet. But that's not important; in most of your matches, you need to keep high amount of kills with as few downs as possible. In this case, you could easily play a few matches with at least a thousand kills and one/two downs and hit Shotguns. So keep playing great matches and keep track of your statistics in the lobby. (Make sure to focus on the other factors, such as headshots/revives/accuracy).

It's a very wacky system, but honestly, you can have a better time playing for fun rather than focusing entirely on your rank. Play Solo Survival if you're serious about hitting a high rank; if you're more multiplayer-oriented, I'd suggest Survival on Farm or Town.

Thanks infest for the qick reply...figured it was to some degree influenced by one days series of games considering its called a "persistent rank" in the system... Hopefully I'll hit shotguns soon but no worries if not, die rise is on the horizon and I see much fun....and much exploration, which often doesnt yeild the best in kills to downs haha...but well see... and I def have my fair share of crazy tail coop games...

For the record, I don't worry about nor judge others by their rank.

I don't play for a couple of days and everything is gone=utterly pointless.

Add in the fact that i jump into a solo game, figure something out and lay in the lava to die so I can head to work. I have almost the most deaths on my friends list. Is it because I suck? Nope. Just don't care.

It would have been better to have no rank. While obvious, I said it anyway.

So, anyone judging another player by their rank is someone too stupid for me to trust to be a good player, regardless of what their stats say.

NowhatImean?

Anyone else have their stats reset on them last night after downloading dlc?

Starting to think its a bad idea to be first to download new maps with the season pass...might wait a day or two next time.

Went from knife to one bone and zero stats for everything.

Glad I haven't downloaded it yet.

On a side note, on my second account, where I play with a stronger focus on k/d, I received the skull at around 3,000 kills. I'm testing to see how many thousand when I hit the knife.

Add in the fact that i jump into a solo game, figure something out and lay in the lava to die so I can head to work. I have almost the most deaths on my friends list. Is it because I suck? Nope. Just don't care.

So, anyone judging another player by their rank is someone too stupid for me to trust to be a good player, regardless of what their stats say.

NowhatImean?

No. Most players below the skull and knife emblem (with a few exceptions) are going to be pretty terrible because it means, on average, they go down every hundred or so kills, so I will have to be running halfway across the map to fetch them (otherwise they leave the game or 'time out'), risking my life in the process. It is really easy for a good player to get the skull and knife emblem, heck, I did it just by playing as I normally would without any focus on my K/D.

NowhatImean?

the only time rank matters to me is when they won't put in a mic, especially now that Die Rise has come out, me along with a bunch of other people I've talked to in lobbies are losing their rank from playing and not being used to this map as well as Turned because it counts every death. I didn't lose my knife till today and it was after everyone in the game I was in left and went back to the menu that I noticed it and was kinda ticked. In the last 5 days I've had maybe 5 matches where everyone has stayed in until the end and i'm getting tired of it, especially because I'm losing rank now.

Also I find more often than not players that ask if you are good or whatever along those lines in the pre-game lobby before you start playing end up sucking and as soon as they start playing like shit will leave.

Just today I had 3 guys in party chat and they spent a good 5 minutes talking to me, two of them had knife skulls and I don't anymore and they mentioned it and started poking a bit of fun at me because I lost mine, two of them had 8 downs by the end of the match, the other had 9, I had 1 and was the last man standing

Hello. I just created an account here because I would like to contribute to the community of zombie killers. If you dont want to read all of this, then skip to the bottom portion of the post. :)

While making a whole new account, or using a previously patched Reset glitch for your zombies stats, is a surefire way to get a very high rank, this doesnt make any sense from a game developers POV. Treyarch has made some mistakes, plenty of them, but they wouldnt force people who dont want to take part in a ranking system to take part in it.

I like a wide majority of people enjoy playing videogames for fun. When I join a public match in zombies, im usually told to leave because of my "rank". This is very, very unfair, and is completely ruining the experience for people like us.

Im very good at zombies. In Black Ops 1, I can reach round 40+ everytime. I never go down through my mistakes, and I always, always, ALWAYS revive people. If the ranking system is based off Kills to Downs, then that defeats the entire purpose of playing zombies to have fun. This encourages people who think theyre about to go down to just leave the game. Three people did this to me before, and I was left alone to play. Unfair? Yes, I just want to have fun.

When a new map comes out, especially one like Die Rise, nobody is going to know the map. Locations of perks, power, doors, rapetrain locations, all of that is learned by playing the game over and over again until you get better. With a game like zombies, where the endgame is to fight infinite hoards of the undead until you die, that means for every game you play, your going to die at least once. (Unless you press start and quit, which is highly frowned upon in the online gaming community.)

It wasnt until I achieved the Skull with Blue Eyes that I figured, hey this might be fun getting into the ranking system, discovering its secrets. My Kills to Down ratio is 55, for any of you wondering. However, I have friends on my list that have much, much less kills then me, and much, much more downs then me, and a Kills to Down ratio of less than half of mine. Some of these people have the same rank as me, same have two bones, while two of which even have Skull with Knife.

Its my personal opinion that your Kill to Down ratio is little to do with your ranking system. That would be defeating the whole purpose of zombies, to have fun. For the first month or two of Black Ops 2s release, it wasnt just me playing, it was a friend of mine, who I was teaching how to play. He dies over and over again, because its the only way to learn.

So because of this, does this mean im plagued with 500 downs, and even if I scored 3000 kills next game, my rank wouldnt budge? There must be some other factor were missing. If kids are just going to start resetting their stats, or making another account just so they can start fresh because its the only way to ranke up, that defeats the purpose of a ranking system. I can get to round 45 on Tranzit, with 1 down being the end of the game. Shouldnt that count for something? Apparently not when im judged for having a Skull and Blue eyes.

Enough of me ranting. I enjoy killing zombies, ever since World At War. Im a long time killer, and ive always had fun going for the high numbers. On the original Black Ops, I could get to 60+ on Ascension every time. Sure, it got boring, but I loved it because it was fun rape training zombies. But if Kill to Down ratio really IS the only way to rank up, then I hope Treyarch either changes this, or puts in a Reset system for people who are used to the maps and can show their true potential, their true skill level. No matter how skillful you are at zombies, no matter what your highest round is, when the new map comes out, your not going to know it. Its the simple. Thats the point of zombies, discovering, and having fun doing it.

So, for the sake of science, or whatever, id like to see people testing other ways that dont involve having a high Kills to Downs ratio. Sure, if your playing for kills, your doing it right. And yes, you dont want to go down, going down is bad. But there has to be something else, there just has to be. Reaching round 15 without purchasing any perks, now thats some skill right their. Maybe not buying perks increases your rank, is it possible? Lets make a list of things to test, and start trying them out! :D

Hello. I just created an account here because I would like to contribute to the community of zombie killers. If you dont want to read all of this, then skip to the bottom portion of the post. :)

While making a whole new account, or using a previously patched Reset glitch for your zombies stats, is a surefire way to get a very high rank, this doesnt make any sense from a game developers POV. Treyarch has made some mistakes, plenty of them, but they wouldnt force people who dont want to take part in a ranking system to take part in it.

I like a wide majority of people enjoy playing videogames for fun. When I join a public match in zombies, im usually told to leave because of my "rank". This is very, very unfair, and is completely ruining the experience for people like us.

Im very good at zombies. In Black Ops 1, I can reach round 40+ everytime. I never go down through my mistakes, and I always, always, ALWAYS revive people. If the ranking system is based off Kills to Downs, then that defeats the entire purpose of playing zombies to have fun. This encourages people who think theyre about to go down to just leave the game. Three people did this to me before, and I was left alone to play. Unfair? Yes, I just want to have fun.

When a new map comes out, especially one like Die Rise, nobody is going to know the map. Locations of perks, power, doors, rapetrain locations, all of that is learned by playing the game over and over again until you get better. With a game like zombies, where the endgame is to fight infinite hoards of the undead until you die, that means for every game you play, your going to die at least once. (Unless you press start and quit, which is highly frowned upon in the online gaming community.)

It wasnt until I achieved the Skull with Blue Eyes that I figured, hey this might be fun getting into the ranking system, discovering its secrets. My Kills to Down ratio is 55, for any of you wondering. However, I have friends on my list that have much, much less kills then me, and much, much more downs then me, and a Kills to Down ratio of less than half of mine. Some of these people have the same rank as me, same have two bones, while two of which even have Skull with Knife.

Its my personal opinion that your Kill to Down ratio is little to do with your ranking system. That would be defeating the whole purpose of zombies, to have fun. For the first month or two of Black Ops 2s release, it wasnt just me playing, it was a friend of mine, who I was teaching how to play. He dies over and over again, because its the only way to learn.

So because of this, does this mean im plagued with 500 downs, and even if I scored 3000 kills next game, my rank wouldnt budge? There must be some other factor were missing. If kids are just going to start resetting their stats, or making another account just so they can start fresh because its the only way to ranke up, that defeats the purpose of a ranking system. I can get to round 45 on Tranzit, with 1 down being the end of the game. Shouldnt that count for something? Apparently not when im judged for having a Skull and Blue eyes.

Enough of me ranting. I enjoy killing zombies, ever since World At War. Im a long time killer, and ive always had fun going for the high numbers. On the original Black Ops, I could get to 60+ on Ascension every time. Sure, it got boring, but I loved it because it was fun rape training zombies. But if Kill to Down ratio really IS the only way to rank up, then I hope Treyarch either changes this, or puts in a Reset system for people who are used to the maps and can show their true potential, their true skill level. No matter how skillful you are at zombies, no matter what your highest round is, when the new map comes out, your not going to know it. Its the simple. Thats the point of zombies, discovering, and having fun doing it.

So, for the sake of science, or whatever, id like to see people testing other ways that dont involve having a high Kills to Downs ratio. Sure, if your playing for kills, your doing it right. And yes, you dont want to go down, going down is bad. But there has to be something else, there just has to be. Reaching round 15 without purchasing any perks, now thats some skill right their. Maybe not buying perks increases your rank, is it possible? Lets make a list of things to test, and start trying them out! :D

I think you think you are better than you actually are. You have a dreadful kill to down ratio, and regardless of what you think, this does in fact signify a good/bad player.

Again, you judge my skill based on the numbers. You havent played with me, so you have no clue about my skill level. Im not saying im some godly player or anything, people are much better then me, clearly im not very good. When the game first came out, I died a lot trying to figure out the bus route, exploring the fog, having fun. Nobody cares about dying, they just wanna figure out the map. Hell, I died a lot trying to figure out what Tombstone did, haha. Same with Whos Who in Die Rise. People need to figure those things out, and they gotta die a lot in the process. The downs on this account is already messed up because im not the only person on here, as well. But your Kill to Down cant be the only factor, because other people on my list have a much, much lower K/D then I do, and they have a better icon. This thread isnt about how good anybody is at zombies, this thread is about discussing the Ranking System, trying to figure it out. Id like to figure this out, honestly, because it cant just be your Kill to Down ratio. There needs to be some other sort, otherwise people would just look at the numbers and see for themselves instead of showing off a badass icon.

My Kills/Downs Friends Kills/Downs

27624/542 3738/311

This means my K/D is [50.9] while his is [12.0]. Yet we have the same Emblem, the Blue Eyed Skull. Shouldnt he have a lower rank icon then me if your K/D ratio has the most impact?

Again, you judge my skill based on the numbers. You havent played with me, so you have no clue about my skill level. Im not saying im some godly player or anything, people are much better then me, clearly im not very good. When the game first came out, I died a lot trying to figure out the bus route, exploring the fog, having fun. Nobody cares about dying, they just wanna figure out the map. Hell, I died a lot trying to figure out what Tombstone did, haha. Same with Whos Who in Die Rise. People need to figure those things out, and they gotta die a lot in the process. The downs on this account is already messed up because im not the only person on here, as well. But your Kill to Down cant be the only factor, because other people on my list have a much, much lower K/D then I do, and they have a better icon. This thread isnt about how good anybody is at zombies, this thread is about discussing the Ranking System, trying to figure it out. Id like to figure this out, honestly, because it cant just be your Kill to Down ratio. There needs to be some other sort, otherwise people would just look at the numbers and see for themselves instead of showing off a badass icon.

My Kills/Downs Friends Kills/Downs

27624/542 3738/311

This means my K/D is [50.9] while his is [12.0]. Yet we have the same Emblem, the Blue Eyed Skull. Shouldnt he have a lower rank icon then me if your K/D ratio has the most impact?

The kills to downs are within a range of numbers (e.g. skull with knife is about 100-200), so it is possible to have the same rank even though he is lower than you. Also, the tally marks and the resulting blue eyes don't show skill level, just how often you play. You will keep blue eyes if you play daily.

I have a guy on my friends list who's been on the skull with blue eyes for months now and he's nearing 200,000 kills with just over 1000 deaths and downs, he's had better stats since I first added him yet I've had the Skull and Knife and he hasn't once, he's in the top 500 for revives, top 300 for doors opened, top 100 for miles traveled on the bus and every time I play with him he usually only has 1 or two downs the whole game, we even completed the Tranzit EE together, unless he spends a lot of time glitching then I don't see why he hasn't ranked up yet :P

Buddy got his Skull with Knife at around 65 k/d. Whatever these number ranges are, theyre not very static, people really dont know them, or theres a whole other factor. My other friend just got black ops the other day. He has 14 downs and 8489 kills, which is a K/D of about 600. Yet he still has the skull, just like me. Another friend has the Knife and Skull, his K/D is 71.

The Kills to Down ratio cant be the only way to rank up. If it was, this thread wouldnt exist. People need to keep looking for theories. I honestly thought this thread was more active then it is, maybe people gave up, maybe they just got bored. I hope some answers actually pop up in the future, because the fact people online are worried about dying is ruining the online experience for others. I like cooperating, scrambling around reviving people, and making sure nobody is left behind. But if people are just gonna leave the game when they get trapped in a corner because theyre afraid of messing up their K/D, thats foolishness, and it needs to be fixed.

Buddy got his Skull with Knife at around 65 k/d. Whatever these number ranges are, theyre not very static, people really dont know them, or theres a whole other factor. My other friend just got black ops the other day. He has 14 downs and 8489 kills, which is a K/D of about 600. Yet he still has the skull, just like me. Another friend has the Knife and Skull, his K/D is 71.

The Kills to Down ratio cant be the only way to rank up. If it was, this thread wouldnt exist. People need to keep looking for theories. I honestly thought this thread was more active then it is, maybe people gave up, maybe they just got bored. I hope some answers actually pop up in the future, because the fact people online are worried about dying is ruining the online experience for others. I like cooperating, scrambling around reviving people, and making sure nobody is left behind. But if people are just gonna leave the game when they get trapped in a corner because theyre afraid of messing up their K/D, thats foolishness, and it needs to be fixed.

\

Exactly! 85% of matches on Die Rise will never make it to the leader boards because of people leaving, I myself lost my knife after 3 people quit out and left me alone, so I jumped off a building to end it, go back to the main menu, only skull again :(

I also think that one of the recent updates has bumped the tally marks. I've played for the last 3 or 4 days & haven't moved off 4 tally marks? I think I have only played Die rise & no other game modes.

I've played solo & co-op games but only made 2 or 3 co-op games of +20 rounds?

Anyone else experienced/noticed this?

NowhatImean?

No. Most players below the skull and knife emblem (with a few exceptions) are going to be pretty terrible because it means, on average, they go down every hundred or so kills, so I will have to be running halfway across the map to fetch them (otherwise they leave the game or 'time out'), risking my life in the process. It is really easy for a good player to get the skull and knife emblem, heck, I did it just by playing as I normally would without any focus on my K/D.

I received rank the same way. After getting it I then realized I probably could've gotten a higher rank playing the same way if I had known the way the ranking system worked.

As for your reply to WintersGhost about thinking he's better than he really is...well that could be true.

The rare time I've seen people really good with Skulls or crossbones are typically people on their second account (most likely). I can't stand people who play, talk on their mic, and act like they're great. If you're great, then you don't need to talk about it. I get people asking me how I got my rank when we're in the lobby and I tell them I bought it. (course then the game starts, I get downed early and they are probably thinking I DID buy it somehow)

I've got a second account where I'll try to get a higher rank but I'm going to play solo really as I don't want to be all pissy and quit out of a MP game and ruin anything with other people.

Ultimately Winter, just play and don't worry about anyones rank. I play grief and have beat numerous shotgun emblem players and they quit as soon as their downed (one said I suck too, weird, cos I won)....but it's all fun. GIMME MY PS3 DLC. :D

I dont worry about peoples ranks, im just tired of people not playing with me because I dont have a Skull and Knife. Ive have sixteen people the other night tell me I suck based on my Skull with Blue Eyes. Its terrible. Sometimes people care, sometimes they dont care, but it really gets annoying. I dont brag about my skills or anything like that, not any more then the next person. I hate when people are on mic and they say theyre really good and then end up being the first to get downed and leave. I stopped playing public matches, cause theres no point anyore when people just leave, or judge your skill level based on your emblem.

Still nobody has a definite solution to ranking up, other than creating a new account, or just "keep playing". Ive been on this skull since the first month the game came out, and I would like to see some progress. But it turns out maybe I cant rank up because I have so many downs because I let my 13 year old neighbor play when im watching him? Thats terrible. There should be a "Ranked" and "Unranked" matches for that. I shouldnt have to make a whole new account just for him to play on, but it seems I have no choice now. Either that, or not let him play because I dont wanna ruin my K/D anymore? Thats just stupid.

I dont wanna admit that its all about the K/D because of how foolish that is, I wanna find another way, other than just getting thousands and thousands of more kills and leaving the game before I get downed to it doesnt impact me. The entire reason I want my rank higher, past the Skull, is because I cant get into some games because of it. I really hope I can get my stats reset somehow, without glitching it, cause im tired of getting rejected from public games. Its not about skill level anymore, its about having that emblem I dont have because my account stats are ruined.

After hearing so many opinions on this i would like someone offical to make a poll on this subject of "Quitting"

Should players lose there base rank for quitting a game between rounds 3-30?

I personaly have never quit a game. If i die, so what? I died, get over it. we are all gonna die eventually. Oh **** i went down.... oppsss, try again but better.....

It should count as a down and a death, basically. I think as it stands it doesn't count as a death. I also think that it should count as they only got to that round on that game and not throw that game as a non-play, because I believe the system bases your record on your most recent games (allowing people to actually get better if they started off very poorly) So if you quit on round 3 it should count as going down and dying on round 3 in solo.

Kills: 59449

Downs: 393

Deaths: 208

Kill/Down: 151 :!:

Accuracy: 127%

Headshots: 29%

Revives: 308

Doors: 334

Perks: 598

Grenades: 1124

Miles: 520

:arrow: How do I not have my Shotties yet?!? This ranking system is getting ridiculous.

Buddy on my list is 267 K/D and hes still stuck on the Knife and Skull. Its impossible to tell who has the "right" K/D when its different for everyone. People out there are just yelling different numbers, based on other forums theyve read, or even this one. But clearly nobody knows for sure. Your K/D might be one thing, but it cant be a stationary number, otherwise it would be the same for every single person. It needs to take something else into consideration to determine.

I was playing on my friends account, hes never picked up back ops. I died a billion times, over and over again. I have a KD of less than 10 now, and ive since ranked up to the Dual Bones by playing some good game in Public. Revives gotta mean something, think of it this way. If your the kind of person who plays a public match, but doesnt revive, that doesnt mean your bad at the game. That means you just dont care about your team mates. Honestly though? That could mean you are terrible at the game, because I can get people on my team up, regardless. Your given enough time to train the zombies away from your fallen team, and then run in, revive them. Thats just how it works. Maybe for people that spend time reviving, or something other things, are given leeway when it comes to Kills/Downs. It would explain why people arent ranking up when theyre "suppose" to rank up, and the other way around. Its obvious its not just kills to downs, whether anybody agrees with me or not, they dont have to help the community figure this out if they dont want to.

From what I seen so far, Kills/Downs are a part of it, but there isnt stationary numbers. If the entire ranking system was based off killing and not going down, then whats the point of all the other stats? The entire ranking system cant just be based on those two stats alone. The fact other people are getting rankings sooner than others proves that theres something else to it as well.

Ill keep looking, and if anyone else wants to help, send me a message on here.

Maybe for people that spend time reviving, or something other things, are given leeway when it comes to Kills/Downs. It would explain why people arent ranking up when theyre "suppose" to rank up, and the other way around.

I think there is some truth in this. My K/D is only 52, I checked before posting this, but my Revive/Down ratio is 1.4 and I have a skull with knife/dagger, but going off of previous posts I should only have a Skull.

If it makes an impact, I have 22,000 kills, 400 downs and 440 revives ( rounded because I can't remember exact stats.)