Video proof of the "train" sound.

Megaton A

I know there's already a thread about this, but I also know with the amount of trolls and disinformation regarding zombies, a lot of things are overlooked without proof. Anyways, here's video documentation of this odd "train" sound people have noticed recently;

ZmnWUqwDfFI

I tried moving the camera around to see if it got any louder/softer as I got further away from the ground or anything, but it seemed to be consistent regardless of where I moved. It definitely does sound like a train. It swells, goes on for about a minute, then passes.

I should also point out that I went into a game that was recorded before the latest patch (this game was early Wednesday morning) and the sound was there, also... so it definitely wasn't something added with the latest patch (that is, unless adding the sound to the game also added it to old games saved in theater, which I suppose is a possibility).

I'm not sure what it means (if anything), but there you have it.

I've heard that a scream can sometimes be heard in the town. If I can capture that I'll add it to this thread.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The sound is not only heard in the town, though. I just picked the town as the location furthest from where I, the zombies, and the bus were at the time. The first time I heard this was actually when I was glitching under the map and going through barriers, and at the time I was checking out the area where the road veers off after the tunnel and before the diner. At the time I wrote it off as maybe just being the bus or something... until I came here and read people talking about the "train" sound.

Also... I've heard the scream, but it is very hard to capture. The weird thing is.... I can hear the scream clearly, then back up the video 5 seconds, play it back.... and it's not there. I'm not sure if the sound is just weird in theater mode or what.

One more thing... was anyone aware that a siren goes off in the laundromat when the power is turned on? I can upload a video of that, also if someone wants. It's definitely coming from that building. I believe upstairs, actually.

The sound is not only heard in the town, though. I just picked the town as the location furthest from where I, the zombies, and the bus were at the time. The first time I heard this was actually when I was glitching under the map and going through barriers, and at the time I was checking out the area where the road veers off after the tunnel and before the diner. At the time I wrote it off as maybe just being the bus or something... until I came here and read people talking about the "train" sound.

Also... I've heard the scream, but it is very hard to capture. The weird thing is.... I can hear the scream clearly, then back up the video 5 seconds, play it back.... and it's not there. I'm not sure if the sound is just weird in theater mode or what.

One more thing... was anyone aware that a siren goes off in the laundromat when the power is turned on? I can upload a video of that, also if someone wants. It's definitely coming from that building. I believe upstairs, actually.

Same thing happens in theater when looking at the laundromat lights

Thats just the sound of the bus notice how it starts when the bus honks and then stops when the bus honks again :)

Are we listening to the same video I didnt hear a bus honk at all. Even if it was the bus, the sound would still be affected by the camera moving to different spots

No, I hear it too. I think he may be right... it might just be that the sound of the bus is audible throughout the map so you can tell when it's moving or something.

I'll go back into the theater after band practice later and check it out. If this sound only occurs when the bus is in motion, then I'm considering this one debunked. The only issue I can see with that is that I was hearing it in intervals, and when nobody is around the bus it never stops.

I'll update when I'm able to figure more out.

You can hear that siren when the power turns on anywhere in the map. Its just the power turning on.

Interesting. I thought this might be the case, but I moved around to a couple locations and only heard it by the laundromat. But as I said... Theater mode can be really glitchy. Especially regarding sound.

• Administrators

The history of Hanford, Washington is an interesting one.

http://www.digplanet.com/wiki/Hanford,_Washington

The original town, named for the judge and irrigation company president Cornelius Hanford, was settled in 1907 on land bought by the local power and water utility. In 1913, the town had a spur railroad link to the transcontinental Chicago, Milwaukee and St. Paul Railway, also known as 'the electric railroad.' By 1925 the town was booming thanks to high agricultural demand, and it boasted a hotel, bank, and its own elementary and high schools.

Looks like there really was a train there in its history.

EDIT: I just remembered there's a train on the map that we can see, so I guess that's what it is referring too :/

When you're in Theater mode, you still can hear things near your character no matter where they are. For instance, I was in town and my character was at Diner and I could hear him getting hit by a zombie. So what I'm saying is please check and make sure your character isn't riding the bus when you're hearing this underground train.

Thank you Megaton. Could it be a subway of some sort? Subways had existed back then, although they were not common. Either way, it was probably for a not-so-nice purpose. Also, the Bus Driver references many many places that we are NOT at. One of them is the "underground". Perhaps this is what he was referencing? That there is an underground to where we are? Why put so much effort into one small sound effect though? Does Treyarch just want to mess with us?

When you're in Theater mode, you still can hear things near your character no matter where they are. For instance, I was in town and my character was at Diner and I could hear him getting hit by a zombie. So what I'm saying is please check and make sure your character isn't riding the bus when you're hearing this underground train.

The only things I can hear from my character when I'm away from him is getting hit by a zombie, and the sound of grabbing pickups, etc. But I do agree that it could possibly be the bus. I wasn't claiming this to be some new breakthrough, just wanted to document what others were discussing.

I still need to go back and examine this further. In my opinion, if this sound only occurs when the bus is in motion, then it is simply the sound of the bus. It's going to be a bit difficult to test, however, since the sound can be really glitchy in theater and when you rewind, sound will occur at different times than they originally did, or just simply not be there when they were before. I think my best bet will be to time when the bus starts and stops moving, then re-start the video and see if the "train" sound match up.

Hopefully I'll get the chance to do so tonight.

There is a possibility of it being the bus, but as said, we need to compare the sounds.

Are you on PS3 or XBOX Megaton? If you are on PS3 and need some help, I can help you out :) If you can do it by yourself, thats cool.

Sorry, I'm on Xbox. I don't game on my PS3 much... mostly because most of my friends play Xbox (and I prefer the Xbox controller, even though they're built like shit and I need a new one every 6 months). The PS3 is a fine console, though.

Anyways... I didn't get a chance to look into this any more last night, sorry guys. A couple friends got on that don't really play Zombies, so I ended up playing multiplayer most of the night. I will look into this further soon.

Well I successfully glitched myself under the map and I saw no train. So this probably won't be something we can explore on the green run map, but who knows, maybe the next map will be underground and instead of traveling by bus we'll be travelling by underground subway...though...a subway is pretty quick, so I can't see how zombies would manage to attack.