Is Dr Maxis really German?

Hey CoDz,

So while doing the Moon side quest in the lead up to bombarding Earth with 3 Rockets, Dr Richtofen says this line -

(This is also heard at the start of the Nuketown map for those of you that haven't played Nuketown)

"I knew I should have invented an egg moving robot.

Stupid Maxis with his rules and stupid accent."

"Stupid Accent" stands out to me? I never payed much attention to it until I heard it again in while playing Nuketown.

There are many mysteries surrounding Dr Maxis.

My question is - 'Is Dr Maxis really German'

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeh it would be hard to go past certain dialect & everybody would know that if you go to a different state that peoples accents & 'lingo' can vary dramatically.

Also given that his name is 'Ludwig' or 'Ludvig'. But that may just imply Eastern European?

I'm probably just trying to believe my idea that Maxis is not Samantha's birth father? Now that 'Abigail' has been identified, I just want to know the link (not that I think he's American)

Argh Dr Maxis, you are surrounded by mystery.

Maybe the quote is highlighting the 'robot'?

(PS - thanks Lenne, do you share your cookies?)

• Administrators

It's tough to say. Aegisknight had a thread a while back in the Research Facility about his name. He said how Ludwig was a German name, and how Ludvig was a Scandinavian name. Perhaps that's what he could mean? It's just that both Ludvig and Ludwig show up in the game.

I asked myself the same question a while ago for the same reason.. Richtofen mentions either during the big bang theory, or in a radio (can't remember which) but he says Maxis has experience with American women. I don't know if this is relevant, but I questioned his nationality once or twice. However I still think it is highly likely that he is in fact German. I'd hate to be "that guy," but from an American perspective, they both (maxis and richtofen) sound German. I wouldn't be able to recognize different German dialects or accents, so the fact that maxis may posess a different German accent than Edward would be beyond my perception. But you still get what I mean.

• Administrators

I asked myself the same question a while ago for the same reason.. Richtofen mentions either during the big bang theory, or in a radio (can't remember which) but he says Maxis has experience with American women. I don't know if this is relevant, but I questioned his nationality once or twice. However I still think it is highly likely that he is in fact German. I'd hate to be "that guy," but from an American perspective, they both (maxis and richtofen) sound German. I wouldn't be able to recognize different German dialects or accents, so the fact that maxis may posess a different German accent than Edward would be beyond my perception. But you still get what I mean.

"What is it with Groph's obsession with American women, all they do is play games! No matter, time to charge up the Casimir Mechanism. Carry the one..." - quest_step5_14 - Edward Richtofen in Big Bang Theory Easter Egg

Richtofen actually says it about Groph, not Dr. Maxis.

Dr. Maxis doesn't (static) any Americans at Group 935, no matter how much genius they have. Stupid Americans with their... Apple pies and baseball and children, but I digress.

Richtofen clearly has something against Americans, likely due to the war. He says that all American women do is play games, which I'm not sure how he would know that. We know that Maxis and Sophia had a slight liking for each other beyond professional means, but the excerpt from the Call of the Dead radio I quoted above suggests that Maxis doesn't like Americans either, so I don't think that Sophia is American. That begs how Richtofen knows American women play games, or how/why Groph is obsessed with them.

Like I said, Ludvig is Scandinavian and this image is in Der Riese and Kino. Along with the quote, I feel relatively okay saying he's not German.

CIA files state Ludwig. Maxis's first name is Ludvig, also spelled Ludwig, just like Gersch's name is also spelled Gersh. I think Maxis is German. However if you want to delve into his heritage, I think it is likely he might technically be part Scandinavian. But he lived in Germany and worked for Germans and had what seems like to most players as a German accent.

• Administrators

I edited my post above with the original link to the first thread on this. As for the terminal, I have looked through them and can't tell for certain if they say Ludvig or Ludwig, even with my HD flat screen I couldn't even tell for sure. Just my thoughts, at least.

I edited my post above with the original link to the first thread on this. As for the terminal, I have looked through them and can't tell for certain if they say Ludvig or Ludwig, even with my HD flat screen I couldn't even tell for sure. Just my thoughts, at least.

I transcribed it myself on my 67 inch HD flat screen TV. I'm certain they are W's. I can understand the difficulty, but you'll just have to trust me.

• Administrators

I transcribed it myself on my 67 inch HD flat screen TV. I'm certain they are W's. I can understand the difficulty, but you'll just have to trust me.

Considering mine is only 52, I will trust you :)

Considering mine is only 52, I will trust you :)

Thank you. I appreciate that. I realize the V's look a lot like W's, but I was able to look at the W in Ludwig and see the differences between that and the V in Vozrozdeniya. You can just barely see the little bump that indicates a W.

Yeah I was looking It and saw the bump, but couldn't tell if it was due to pixelation or if it was indeed a bump.

So why do you think there is the inconsistency?

With some names, especially foreign names, there is more than one way to spell them. At least, that's the mannerful way to explain Treyarch's spelling errors.

@MegaAfroMan: You are correct.

"Gentlemen, allow me to take this opportunity to welcome you group nine three five. This is a prestigious moment in the history of our race. You represent the future of technological advancement. You are the pioneers of human discovery. In your hands lies the destiny of mankind. In our hands is a great power and with that power comes a price. You have volunteered to be part of this great experiment and with that decision comes the responsibility of absolute secrecy. No one is to know what you do, where you work, what our research has discovered, or what our purpose will be. You will have no further contact with your governments or with your families. Your decision to fully dedicate your lives to Group 935 is absolute. In your lockers you will find your field ops manual which will direct you should our manifest get compromised. We cannot afford to let this power fall into the wrong hands and therefore the field ops manual should be considered your bible. Make your preparations now. A new dawn is beginning for mankind."

— Maxis

Again, maxis is German, Samantha is his daughter and she is German as well

"Sophia, this letter is to go to the Reichstag High Command immediately. Gentlemen, it is with the utmost urgency that I draw your attention to the lack of funding being injected into The Giant project. While I believe we are close to realizing the ultimate plan, we still have several years of development before it is ready. It would be folly to cut our expenditure so early in our development. As you know, early tests on the DG-2 have easily outperformed expectations and we fully anticipate mass producing the Wunderwaffe within the next few years. Work on the matter transference has however come to a standstill. We simply do not have enough Element 115 to continue the experiments. The test subjects have survived teleportation but are currently unresponsive to commands and cannot be controlled. If we are to overcome this obstacle we need to increase the frequency and size of the experiment. To this end, I suggest we find not only a regular supply of 115, but that we also find a larger conduit to channel the energy. Our operatives in America have informed us that the US have a large supply of the element at the Nevada base, so time is of the essence if we are to stay ahead of them. This cannot be done if you cut the budget, nor can it be done if you insist on pressuring us into action before we are ready. I am of course available for discussion of the matter but in the meantime, I will continue with the work here and try to win this damned war. Signed etc. etc. Doctor Maxis."

— Dr. Maxis

Clearly he Is German.

"Gentlemen, allow me to take this opportunity to welcome you group nine three five. This is a prestigious moment in the history of our race. You represent the future of technological advancement. You are the pioneers of human discovery. In your hands lies the destiny of mankind. In our hands is a great power and with that power comes a price. You have volunteered to be part of this great experiment and with that decision comes the responsibility of absolute secrecy. No one is to know what you do, where you work, what our research has discovered, or what our purpose will be. You will have no further contact with your governments or with your families. Your decision to fully dedicate your lives to Group 935 is absolute. In your lockers you will find your field ops manual which will direct you should our manifest get compromised. We cannot afford to let this power fall into the wrong hands and therefore the field ops manual should be considered your bible. Make your preparations now. A new dawn is beginning for mankind."

— Maxis

Again, maxis is German, Samantha is his daughter and she is German as well

"Sophia, this letter is to go to the Reichstag High Command immediately. Gentlemen, it is with the utmost urgency that I draw your attention to the lack of funding being injected into The Giant project. While I believe we are close to realizing the ultimate plan, we still have several years of development before it is ready. It would be folly to cut our expenditure so early in our development. As you know, early tests on the DG-2 have easily outperformed expectations and we fully anticipate mass producing the Wunderwaffe within the next few years. Work on the matter transference has however come to a standstill. We simply do not have enough Element 115 to continue the experiments. The test subjects have survived teleportation but are currently unresponsive to commands and cannot be controlled. If we are to overcome this obstacle we need to increase the frequency and size of the experiment. To this end, I suggest we find not only a regular supply of 115, but that we also find a larger conduit to channel the energy. Our operatives in America have informed us that the US have a large supply of the element at the Nevada base, so time is of the essence if we are to stay ahead of them. This cannot be done if you cut the budget, nor can it be done if you insist on pressuring us into action before we are ready. I am of course available for discussion of the matter but in the meantime, I will continue with the work here and try to win this damned war. Signed etc. etc. Doctor Maxis."

— Dr. Maxis

Clearly he Is German.

The bit I highlighted in there clearly says to me that the 935 researchers were assembled from all over the world, not just Germany. Yes it was based in Germany, and yes they ended up aiding the Nazi party due to their need for funding, however as the highlighted bit in your quote shows, they came from all over the world, or else governments would not be plural. As such there is absolutely no reason Maxis could not have come from a different country (in respect to this particular argument), just because it is located in Germany does not mean he has to be German.

"This is a prestigious moment in the history of our race. "

"Our operatives in America have informed us that the US have a large supply of the element at the Nevada base, so time is of the essence if we are to stay ahead of them."

This makes me believe that they may have infiltrated different country's but they are all Arian Germans.

I'm glad this is creating a discussion & points can be made both for & against.

As history shows & is factual in real life, the Nazi party was heavily funded by heads of major financial & industrial corporations from America & other countries. (google "who funded the Nazi Party/Third Reich" - this is no longer just a conspiracy theory) Also refer "Operation Paperclip"

Many of these people had either German/Aryian heritage or just financial interests for self promotion.

Another type of 'Metephor' I've always thought followed the story of Dr Maxis & Dr Richtofen is that of the illumanti. 

From what i understand the original 'Bavarian Illumanti' was established by influential leaders TO "Improve the Human Condition" - Maxis Intentions.

Whereas, the 'New World Order Illumanti' is just for self preservation/promotion - Dr Richtofen's intentions. 

(don't quote me on any of this, I'm way out of my league.  hahahaha)

Back to our Game!

While I'm fully aware of ALL the radios/reels & other documentation in-game (I think I have a solid grasp of the storyline) these are the only references in which we can understand the story. 

We are at a point in which what we think is the correct story, may take major plot twists. We have been introduced to the mysterious 'Abigail' & her background purpose will only unfold.

Another thing to speculate would be why Dr Maxis calls the tower a 'Spire' & Dr Richtofen refers to it as an 'Obelisk?' 

Spire

A spire is a tapering conical or pyramidal structure on the top of a building, particularly a church tower. 

Etymologically, the word is derived from the Old English word spir, meaning a sprout, shoot, or stalk of grass.

(Currently, the largest spire to be part of the architecture of another building is the spire mounted on the recently completed Q1 residential tower on the Gold Coast in Australia. - Off Topic, this is about half an hour away from me)

Obelisk 

An obelisk (from Greek ὀβελίσκος - obeliskos, diminutive of ὀβελός - obelos, "spit, nail, pointed pillar") is a tall, four-sided, narrow tapering monument which ends in a pyramid-like shape at the top, and is said to resemble a petrified ray of the sun-disk.

Thoughts?

• Administrators

@Pinnaz : Perhaps both characters use different wordings as an emphasis of what they render the tower as? Maxis uses "spire" as some kind of reflector; in turn, sending electrical energy to him gives him enough power w/o the use of 115. Hence, this is why he can only communicate with us through electronic devices. If we look at this the other way, Richtofen regards to the tower as an obelisk that can practically resemble some kind of satellite. The 115 energy is being channeled through the "obelisk" like the sun ray you had mentioned in your definition. The amplitude of energy waves increases as we continue to kill zombies.

When we look at the two, we see that one is being perceived as a receptor and the other as a transmitter. Regardless of course, each sends different types of energy. It's funny because each method rules out the other (i.e. by getting power on way, the other cannot gain their own power whatsoever).