Green Run & Chernobyl; 1960's & 1980's; Marlton & Shelter

• Administrators

In Green Run, it has been pointed out lately by

abakedpotato and blaked that there are many Russian words scattered across the map on silos and in the tunnel. Here's some images of the Russian words inside Green Run, retrieved by abakedpotato.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/72705438@N ... hotostream

http://www.flickr.com/photos/72705438@N ... hotostream

The first image reads ЗАРАЖЕНО in Russian, which translates to 'contaminated' in English.

The second image reads КОНТРОЛЬНО-ДЕЗИМЕТРИЧНИЙ ПУНКТ "ДИТЯТКИ", which translates to 'Security Dosimetry Checkpoint "DITYATKI"' in English.

Dityatki is a small community inside of the 30 kilometer Chernobyl Exclusion Zone, which consists of all the areas hit. In case you are unaware, dosimetry is the measure of radiation in absorbed dose. It basically measures how much radiation you've exposed yourself too, letting you know if you're heavily contaminated or if you only have a few years worth of natural radiation.

In Moon, there was a container on the roof of the building that also had Russian writing on it, however I am having trouble finding the thread. I remember that it had something to do with Dosimetry, though, and possibly even something with babies. No matter, I'm pretty sure it was different, but if someone can retrieve the thread or any information it would be greatly appreciated as it could help determine if it's just reused texture or perhaps something more.

In 1970, construction workers and their families began moving into a newly constructed city named Pripyat, less than two miles from a new project known as the Chernobyl Nuclear Power Plant. Along with the plant and city, an artificial lake was made to provide cooling water for the reactors. The plant is located 9 miles northwest of Chernobyl, 12 miles from the Ukraine and Belarus border, and about 80 miles north of Kiev.

The reactors hold fuel cells of Uranium, using a process inside the reactors called nuclear fission. Nuclear fission is the act of sending a neutron straight into the nucleus of a Uranium-235 atom, splitting it, creating more neutrons that split other Uranium atoms, producing a chain reaction. When you split the Uranium nuclei, it creates massive amounts of heat which creates steam that drives the reactors turbines.

The emergency power system was designed to supply power within 15 seconds, preventing a disaster. Trying to simulate a "worst case scenario," the engineers decided to shut off the electricity to the pumps that sent water into the core cooling system. The second the test began, the power level unexpectedly dropped below 1% and the residual electricity caused a large amount of water to be pumped into the reactor. Because atomic changes happen over millionths of a second, the residual electricity was no longer present two seconds into the test and the water in the cooling pumps began to boil, creating massive amounts of steam and the reactor power increased to over the gauge's upper limit of 120% about four seconds into the test.

If the materials get too hot, they begin to melt, causing a nuclear meltdown. Trying to prevent that, the engineers reinserted all 211 control rods at once. The rods had five meters of material that would absorb the neutrons and lower the rate of fission in the core, resulting in a lower temperature. However, the control rods also had graphite tips, which all entered before the absorbent material could reach the core. The graphite tips heated up incredibly fast, slowing down more and more neutrons, which thus increased the rate of fission as well as the power level, reaching as high as 10,000%.

Thirty-one people died immediately or soon after at Chernobyl, 28 of which from Acute Radiation Sickness (ARS), including six firefighters, twenty-two clean-up workers, one of cardiac arrest unrelated to the radiation, along with one man near the UBS immediately disappearing at the time of explosion and another bleeding out later that day.

In the explosion, all of the xenon gas as well as about 5% of the remaining material was released, which consists of over 100 radioactive elements. While most had very short half-lives and were gone quickly, some lasted a while longer. The three most prominent radioactive elements were iodine-131, strontium-90, and caesium-137 with half-lives of 8 days, 29 years, and 30 years respectively.

Over 1,800 cases of thyroid cancer were documented in children between the ages of 0 and 14 when the accident occurred. Between 1992-2002, almost 5,000 cases of thyroid cancer were diagnosed in Belarus, Russia, and Ukraine in those who were children at the time of incident, 15 of which dying of the disease by 2002. The number would no doubt be larger if not for the fact that stable iodine tablets were ingested 6-30 hours after the accident, helping prevent thyroid cancer.

Starting the day after the incident, helicopters began pouring cooling water into the reactor, but had to eventually quit due to radiation levels and general ineffectiveness, actually making the reactor hotter. On May 5, four hundred coal miners dug a 168-meter long tunnel under the reactor and pumped liquid nitrogen into it, freezing the reactor and putting out the fire. After that, the liquidators then dumped wet concrete onto the reactor to completely encase it and all the radioactive materials inside, finishing in November of 1986.

It's unfortunate how much the engineers were inexperienced, because shutting off the reactors and stopping the test at any time during the warning signs would have saved me from writing this essay... And the world from experiencing the catastrophe. One can only hope that we've learned from the past, and can make better decisions in the future about nuclear issues, because it effects generations beyond just our own.

I just finished an essay regarding Chernobyl a few weeks ago for Science class that I'll include above for those that care to learn more about it, but Chernobyl occurred in 1986, as most can find out relatively easily. The physical containers inside the map mention the checkpoint that was established after 1986, so that would mean that Chernobyl had to of happened for these to be in Green Run, right? Well let's couple this with a quote by Marlton. We know that Nuketown happens during Moon, and it's currently assumed that they are in the 1960's.

"Pre-collapsed society must've been a glorious place to live!" - Marlton

This implies that Marlton did not experience pre-collapsed society, obviously. I would link the collapsing of society with Maxis' nukes hitting Earth, which when you put two and two together would mean he didn't experience society before the nukes. However, we can hear him in fallout shelter inside Nuketown before the nukes even hit, so what does this mean exactly? He explains being banished from his group, which I believe to be the group before Green Run since Green Run is after Nuketown.

"1.21 GIGAWATTS! Where have I heard that before?" - Edward Richtofen

We know Treyarch likes to make references to movies, as there are plenty towards Back to the Future. Has anyone seen Blast From the Past? Basically, it's about a kid who's father was a great inventor but his story has a twist. During the 1960's, the Cuban Missile Crisis bombs scares across the United States forced the family underground into their fallout shelter where they would live, and even give birth this young child. He was raised in the fallout shelter and while he was incredibly intelligent, he was horrifically socially awkward as he didn't surface until he was 35 years of age.

"That was the last time you will ever hit this... Awkward, lonely fellow." - Marlton

Hmm, who else do we know that is incredibly awkward, yet intelligent beyond belief? I am not going to say he was born in the Fallout Shelter as he has quotes about being targeted as a child and being banished by his previous group, likely sending him to his current location inside the Fallout Shelter, but I won't hesitate to suggest the idea that he has been in there a while.

In case you have seen my thread about asking Marlton's age, this is why. If Nuketown were to take place in the early 60's like it's implied by the Sedan crater PINNAZ has been talking about, Chernobyl occurred in 1986, and the highest answer of Marlton's age so far is at 28. I would suggest that he was tormented as a child in the 1960's and stuck it out in Fallout Shelter when the nukes hit and came out when he was 28 and headed to Green Run, but he sounds the exact same in Nuketown as he does in Green Run.

EDIT: Waffles and I found the USSR State Quality Mark on the crates in Green Run, which was active from 1967 to 1991. So I feel our timeline for the map is decreasing ever-so-subtly, perhaps between 1988-1991. More info here.

Am I looking too far into these, what I believe to be, very important quotes or is it because there's more we haven't figured out yet?

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The quotes are our only clues to the characters past, i don't think you could look to far in them. I'll have to look into them myself, only been looking at the bus drivers quotes so far.

A few questions,

Can anyone else be heard in the vault, even unknown voices?

From what I heard misty and Russman knew each other before green run but does anyone have any quotes suggesting they knew Marlton before?

• Administrators

The quotes are our only clues to the characters past, i don't think you could look to far in them. I'll have to look into them myself, only been looking at the bus drivers quotes so far.

A few questions,

Can anyone else be heard in the vault, even unknown voices?

From what I heard misty and Russman knew each other before green run but does anyone have any quotes suggesting they knew Marlton before?

Well I think that without the quotes, we would be in a whole lot of confusion about the storyline and the direction it's taking, so I feel like the quotes can be looked into.

As for the fallout shelter, Marlton is the only voice inside it.

Funny quote I heard from Marlton the other day;

My buddy, who was Russman, knifed me (Marlton) and I said this:

"GAH! Russman my dear fellow, don't you damn touch me! Eh...Too much?"

Obviously our little scientist has issues with people touching him, specifically Russman. Any thoughts?

He does seem to have some sort of issue with Russman.

"Clearly they are hungry... Throw them Russman!"

As for his touching issues, I think it further reiterates how uncomfortable he is around people, he has many many quotes about not wanting to be touched.

"Quite the conundrum. No zombies on the bus, but inside the bus the claustrophobia will kick in! Oh what to do Marlton, what to do."

"Ahh, wretched crawling thing, I said no touching!"

"Have I mentioned I despise personal interaction?"

"Ayaya, that still too close... Living or dead."

Great effort Tac, abakedpotato and blaked. :!:

I'm sure writing an essay not long ago really helped with this thread.

It is interesting to note (in real-life) that the Hanford Site is one of the most contaminated sites in the world, but at the same time is one of the most progressive clean-ups underway.

Did the US government sign a deal to take Nuclear waste from Russia in an exchange for HAARP research?

What is the Connection between the Chernobyl Nuclear Waste & the Hanford Site?

My question regarding Marlton in the Fallout Shelter in Nuketown would be this - He must of been in there prior to the initial Nuketown blast (as it has only just occured) & then came out after Maxis' rockets hit earth. So I wonder if he thinks that the Nuketown explosion has caused this worldwide apocalypse?

• Administrators

What is the Connection between the Chernobyl Nuclear Waste & the Hanford Site?

Well one of the largest similarities between Chernobyl and Hanford is the reactors themselves, because they are incredibly similar and the LA Times calls them "first-cousin" reactors. Along with that, they both released large amounts of iodine-131 in their respective ways. I mean that is just what I can find beyond the obvious fact they are nuclear reactors and what-not.

http://articles.latimes.com/1986-05-07/ ... eservation

...nuketown is a test site in a secured area, where nobody could enter without permission... makes me think of a south park (or simpson ?) episode where a kid gets blocked by mistake in a shelter and all the city is looking after him... wich can't be the case here since it's not a personnal shelter in the backyard of your neighboor, but the federal government's property, on a secret site in the middle of a desert...

anyway i can't imagine this marlton kid living with his family in nuketown, since it's not à real town...

as for your tchernobyl essay it is all good except for one point : there is no cooling system under the reactor, this solution was too expensive, they never did it, it's just concrete under there.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrators

the casio calculator watch came out in the 80's and that is when it hit its peak popularity. Marty Mcfly wore one is 2 of the back 2 the future movies . my husband and i are old enough to remember this stuff :oops:

The first calculator watch came out in 1975, they just peaked in the 1980's I believe.

• Administrators

A real good theory Tac. I also read somewhere that the Russians have their own HAARP equivalent. Maybe Hanford was a secret operation between both countries.

Good find, this got me searching, and I found what you are talking about.

A strange signal from the Soviets could be heard sporadically between July 1976 and December 1989. At 10Hz, it was given the name Woodpecker. The output was extremely high, over 10 Megawatts in some cases, it disrupted many amateur radios and television stations, resulting in some receivers putting 'Woodpecker Blankers' into the design. Because the signal was so mysterious, some had claimed it was for Soviet mind control and weather control, which is the exact same thing as the H.A.A.R.P. conspiracy theorists say.

After the dissolution of Russia, the government told the public that it was an over-the-horizon radar system for anti-ballistic missiles, with three experimental systems. Duga-1 was built in Ukraine to detect missiles from the Baikonur Cosmodrome, which I may note is believed to be the location of the map, Ascension. Duga-2 was built in the same place to detect launches from the far east, as well as submarines, as they flew towards Novaya Zemlya, which I believe is mentioned in the Black Ops intel as it's in the Ural Mountains, a location we visit in-game. Duga-3 was made after the success of the previous two and is located in none other than the Chernobyl Exclusion Zone:

So as you can see, the connections are definitely present.

• 3 months later...

Edit - I posted nearly the same thing as Tac.

I have more in my Tesla thread somewhere. I don't have the time to dig it up at the moment.

The Soviets started something like HAARP in the 1960s.

Google 'Operation Woodpecker'

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russian_Woodpecker

The Russian Woodpecker was a notorious Soviet radio signal that could be sporadically heard on the shortwave radio bands worldwide between July 1976 and December 1989. It sounded like a sharp, repetitive tapping noise, at 10 Hz, giving rise to the "Woodpecker" name. The random frequency hops disrupted legitimate broadcast, amateur radio, commercial aviation communications, utility transmissions, and resulted in thousands of complaints by many countries worldwide. Because of its extremely high power output (over 10 MW in some cases), the signal became such a nuisance that some receivers such as amateur radios and televisions actually began including 'Woodpecker Blankers' in their design.

The mysterious and unclaimed signal was a source for much speculation, giving rise to theories such as Soviet mind control and weather control. However, after careful study, many experts and amateur radio hobbyists long believed it to be that of an extremely powerful over-the-horizon radar (OTH) system. This theory was publicly confirmed after the fall of the Soviet Union, and is now known to be the Duga-3 (Russian: Дуга-3) [1] system, part of the Soviet ABM early-warning network. NATO military intelligence had photographed the system and given it the NATO reporting name Steel Yard.

Duga-3 array within the Chernobyl Exclusion Zone. The array of pairs of cylindrical/conical cages on the right are the driven elements, fed at the facing points with a form of ladder line suspended from stand-off platforms at top right. A backplane reflector of small wires can just be seen left of center, most clearly at the bottom of the image.