What time is tranzit REALLY set in?

OctopusChokeslam

This occured to me whilst me and my friend where playing tranzit today and that is, the time period. Something is just so odd about it. When we look at tranzit we see a nuked out mid 60's town, but when we get down to the power plant, the guns and the bus, we see a more technologically advanced map than on the outside. What is the answer? I have multiple theories and leads, so I guess I'll just start listing them.

1. Retro Futuristic.

When I mean retro futuristic I mean like in the Fallout series. A simply 1950's view of the future. We see this in Nuketown 2025 as well, which is odd considering in the campaign everything looks like it's modern and not retro future at all. This theory however, is flawed when we look back at one of our dear black ops maps. Call of the Dead. Call of the Dead HAS to be set around this current time period which means somewhere between 2009-2013. "But some of the guns are cold war!" some might argue. Isn't that what you would expect from a few cold war era siberian fishing ships in russia? Old cold war weapons? This leads me to another theory I have, Time warps. I'm going to link another thread which basically covers time warps/wormwholes quite indepthly.

viewtopic.php?f=120&t=25318

I'll start by saying if there was a timewarp then it would be reasonable to have Futuristic guns in a 1950/1960's nostalgia setting. This theory has lots of obvious flaws, like how the tech is seemingly intermeshed into the 50's and 60's architecture, cars, heck even the female zombies have 50's and 60's haircuts.

I'd like to end this on the note that treyarch never does anything on accident. So them doing this is obviously worth noting somewhat.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't put to much Brain Power to one theory dude, you'll blow a brian cell.

Best way to answer this is to look Back. In World at War, the setting was in 1945..as was Zombies. Black Ops, 1960's, as was Zombies. Black Ops 2, 2025..as is Zombies. The Missiles hit Earth in the 1960's, hense why everything is set in that time period.

The Power Station area look far to advanced for 1960's era but look at Griffin Station, that was built before 1943 by Richtofen's Group.

The Time Period for Green Run is 2020's. Best proof of that is Russman, he has a Quote that reference his Child Hood. Judging by his age, he would of been a Kid when the Bombs Hit.

I think it's probably a novelty town. A 50's throwback. Like how we have Pioneer Villages that people pay to 'experience'. The cars are 50's, the zombies are 50's, even the bus is 50's esque. But our characters are clearly not 50's, the guns are obviously not from the 50's and the HAARP research station; way past the 50's.

Personally I think you're overthinking this. 50's towns would be a quite popular tourist attraction in the near future.

Also, I believe Tranzit takes place in. Black Ops 2's 2025.

• Administrators

Does anyone else think that the automaton bus driver would be an indication that this took place in the future? For example, the loading screen shows regular 60's humans, and the bus driver is also human by the looks of it. The whole map is (as previously stated) a possible throwback map that hasn't exactly changed much besides the transportation and guns.

I find it strange that we have both classic and modern weapons as wall and Mystery Box weapons. Our crew doesn't seem the least bit retro compared to the attire suited by the zombies. But the question remains: how did those 4 end up at the bus depot? They start off in post-apocalyptic U.S.A., so this event occurs either directly after the ballistic missiles from Moon launched or far into the future (2025) where the crew somehow found themselves trapped in the station.

Off topic, but has anyone noticed the zombies went back to yelling "SAM" just like BO's zombies? I thought they'd perhaps say something else considering Richtofen is ruling in the Aether now.

I think this takes place at either very near future (2013) or 2025. I also believe that these events on tranzit occur almost immediately after the missiles hit. The tranzit crew were in the bunker on nuketown when it got blown away. Then, they fled and ended up in Hanford.

I mean, some people think that the missiles hit in the 60s, but if this takes place in the present or future, you mean to tell me that the tranzit crew survived for over 50 years after the missiles hit? Marlton is like 25, people! He couldn't have been in the bunker if it happened 50+ years ago. Also if that was true there would be no russman because he would be like 120.

The only major fault I can see in my theory is that it doesn't make sense that they could just stroll out of the bunker and not get decimated by radiation, UNLESS they weren't normal missiles (which some people believe strongly.) and they did not result in any radiation being released.

• Administrators

I think this takes place at either very near future (2013) or 2025. I also believe that these events on tranzit occur almost immediately after the missiles hit. The tranzit crew were in the bunker on nuketown when it got blown away. Then, they fled and ended up in Hanford.

I mean, some people think that the missiles hit in the 60s, but if this takes place in the present or future, you mean to tell me that the tranzit crew survived for over 50 years after the missiles hit? Marlton is like 25, people! He couldn't have been in the bunker if it happened 50+ years ago. Also if that was true there would be no russman because he would be like 120.

The only major fault I can see in my theory is that it doesn't make sense that they could just stroll out of the bunker and not get decimated by radiation, UNLESS they weren't normal missiles (which some people believe strongly.) and they did not result in any radiation being released.

In that sense, then the actions that partook on Moon were not what we thought they were; of course we never verified that it was actually in a given time frame similar to other maps with the original crew.

I have a feeling though that you're right, though. If the missiles were to attack Earth in the near future, that would mean there's a distortion in time somewhere. The most evident source of it? The original crew and the teleporters. We know that they can skip through time, and because of that sudden time jump in Call of the Dead, it is highly possible that Moon would actually be a future event and the events in Hanford are directly after.

Might I also add that the Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) was not created until 1992.

Let me emphasize that.

There were many other disease control agencies such as the Office of National Defense Malaria Control Activities (1942), the Communicable Disease Center (1946-1967) and the most recent prior to the federal CDC, the Center for Disease Control (1970-1980). Even if we are to presume that the CDC we consistently play as in Zombies is the 70s-80s, it would be impossible to assume because of the advanced technology (weapons, equipment, surroundings, etc.). That being said, the current CDC's establishment would only further prove that all these events had to occur AT LEAST after 1980. Last time I checked, we were stuck in the late 60's/early 70's in BO: Zombies.

Now as for how our new crew went from Nuketown to Hanford...that part remains a mystery. Once the nuke dropped, I'm sure there would be nothing but a wasteland. A trip from Nevada all the way to Washington is a rather long travel. Maybe a future DLC map would better identify how they traveled? Because like you said: that radiation after nukes and missiles would be heavy. If it could clear out the CDC and CIA agents that were there, I'm sure an ordinary group of young (and old) would not be able to withstand the radiation.

And those ballistic missiles would not be normal if it only took three to make the Earth look like hell above ground.

Nuketown is the transition map just like Kino was in BO.

Nuketown is destroyed in Zombies mode indicating that the outbreak occured after the nuke in nuketown goes off.

There is again a mix of past & future in this map.

Nuketown shows the change of power from Sam to Richtofen, I think it was around round 25 when it happened for me.

Still your in Nuketown collecting the souls of the zombies for Richtofen.

See the song Carrion. He is having us fill his quota. (Back to deals with the devil here).

Once you die the Moon nuke hits.

TranZit take part after this event.

I also believe the bus in Nuketown was take over by Richtofen & transformed for TranZit.

You have to rememeber that time & space is distorted in Nazi Zombies so events being decades apart can happen at the same time.

Also, I recently watched the watchmen again. Dr. Mahattan said that if all the nukes on Earth were used in a nuclear war then a Tachyon pulse would be sent back through time.

Could be the same is happening here.

Maxis in the future sends the nukes to Earth causing massive damage & enough Tachyons to allow transmissions from Moon to be heard in Nuketown via the clock tower.

IDK needs more time.

The first DLC should answer these questions.

Regards, Alpha.

Let me be straightforward here. The guns DO NOT have any merit to the storyline. That's been common knowledge for a LONG time around the forum. Aside from Wonder Weapons and special grenades, the weapons are strictly there for gameplay purposes. Don't believe me? Well then explain how a American military issued M16 ended up in a secret German theater facility? Or why there were Cold War era weapons in a map based during WW2? The list goes on and on. If you try to connect the manufacturing date of each weapon to the actual map, you're going to end up with 20 dfferent possible dates . You can choose to base your theories on the weapons if you'd like, but it is extremely weak evidence to go on IMO.

As for your "robot". While his movements might seem advanced, they are nothing more than complex animatronics. This is not some sure intelligent advanced robot some people see him as. He his simply an animatronic machine programmed to drive specific route, and to say Pre-recorded lines. Animtronics have been popular since the 1964 New York World's Fair, when an animatronic Abraham Lincoln gave the Gettyburg Address. It's a a robot folks, it's an anamtronic machine. I suggest anyone that doesn't know the difference to research before assuming this is an advanced robot, because it is not.

Sp as far as the guns and bus driver being reasons why it cant take place in the 60's, I'm not convinced. It was a common belief before Black Ops 2 dropped that Moon did take place in 2011 or 2012, but now we just have too much evidence that points to the 60's.

[*:2bd4jg4q]The cars, building, streetsign etc all match the 1960's timeframe.[*:2bd4jg4q] The bus' license plate states Colorado 1960.[*:2bd4jg4q] No Mans Land occured sometime in the 1960, which coincides with Moon. [*:2bd4jg4q] Maxis' bomb hits at the end of Nuketown, a map that takes place in the 1960. [*:2bd4jg4q] No current technologies are present in TranZit.

While it's still unclear exactly what time TranZit occured, it's becoming harder and harder to deny that Maxis' bomb, and therefore Moon, occur sometime in the 1960. And if the blast did occur in the 60's, I have a hard time believing The events of TranZit take place more than 50 years after Maxis' bombing. Richtofen states he's still getting used to the Aether when the match begins, indicating the events of TranZit take place immediately after the bombing, placing the events of TranZit in the 60s as well.

I would have like to go into more detail as provide some links, but I just got to work and have to use the IPhone to post.

• Administrators

Now as for how our new crew went from Nuketown to Hanford...that part remains a mystery. Once the nuke dropped, I'm sure there would be nothing but a wasteland. A trip from Nevada all the way to Washington is a rather long travel. Maybe a future DLC map would better identify how they traveled? Because like you said: that radiation after nukes and missiles would be heavy. If it could clear out the CDC and CIA agents that were there, I'm sure an ordinary group of young (and old) would not be able to withstand the radiation.

I'm almost positive that in Marlton's case alone, he traveled via the bus to Hanford. He was stuck inside the fallout shelter when the nuke/EMP went off, and then we hear the bus honking in the map.

Don't put to much Brain Power to one theory dude, you'll blow a brian cell.

Best way to answer this is to look Back. In World at War, the setting was in 1945..as was Zombies. Black Ops, 1960's, as was Zombies. Black Ops 2, 2025..as is Zombies. The Missiles hit Earth in the 1960's, hense why everything is set in that time period.

The Power Station area look far to advanced for 1960's era but look at Griffin Station, that was built before 1943 by Richtofen's Group.

The Time Period for Green Run is 2020's. Best proof of that is Russman, he has a Quote that reference his Child Hood. Judging by his age, he would of been a Kid when the Bombs Hit.

Wernt they sent from adhesion in the 60s to a modern day cotd? Coulda sworn I saw something like that...

What I'm stuck on is at round 25 on Nuketown ,the zombies are now controlled by Richtofen based on the eye color change and dialogue, and Marlton is in the fallout shelter. When you play Tranzit, at the very beginning the zombies just stand there for a second and then they "wake up" and their eyes turn blue. So how can Marlton be at both locations while Richtofen is just taking over the zombies. I hope that made sense.

Seems everyone likes to argue time and space travel and shiz but I think it's pretty obvious we're still in the 60's (Blops 1 setting). Nuketown Zombies takes place right as Moon is going on, and it's the original Nuketown map, which right there, tells me Moon happens in the 60's as well. Then, just by the setting and location of TranZit, tells me they didn't travel far from the Nuketown site to make it to TranZit and are still in the 60's sometime.

Also, sidenote fun fact for you:

When playing Nuketown Zombies, you are sometimes agents, rather than the CDC. These are the same agents the zombies turn into when changed by the Vril in COTD.

I have no doubts in my mind that we are in the 60s. It just makes far more logical sense than being in 2020s. I'm sorry, but the guns have no relevance to the storyline whatsoever. I won't get into it, Shooter already said it all above.

As for the robot, there are plenty of explanations. Firstly, even in the 60s they had some advanced robotics. Perhaps not as advanced as our robot friend on the bus, but this is also easily gotten around. The robots eyes. There is far more relevance to the robot having blue eyes than perhaps many of us realise. Treyarch could've made them any colour, but they didn't. They made them the EXACT same shade of blue as the Zombies eyes. The robot is being controlled by Richtofen, that I am sure of.

That, and everything everyone else has said, is all but confirmation of the timezone TranZit is set in.

-Jolteon

The problem is that COTD and Nuketown don't mix. COTD = around present time (no signs of earth being destroyed) . Nuketown = 60s (earth destroyed soon after nuke in mp). They just don't line up... so either nuketown has to be thrown out of storyline, or we have to accept multiple dimensions... so idk, it seems 3arc has messed up.

The problem is that COTD and Nuketown don't mix. COTD = around present time (no signs of earth being destroyed) . Nuketown = 60s (earth destroyed soon after nuke in mp). They just don't line up... so either nuketown has to be thrown out of storyline, or we have to accept multiple dimensions... so idk, it seems 3arc has messed up.

Not Necessarily. CotD is set 50 years AFTER Moon and TranZit. 50 years is a LONG time to try and rebuild. Besides, who says that Siberia was particularly badly hit? If I were Maxis and I were the one launching nukes at the Earth, I sure as hell wouldn't be aiming for Siberia. You'd aim for the super-powers. The USA, Western Europe and China. Siberia probably got away relatively unscathed by the whole nuking fiasco and so it is entirely plausible that CotD could still happen despite the progression of events in Moon and TranZit.

Believe me when I say Treyarch simply would not have made that mistake.

-Jolteon

I sure as hell wouldn't be aiming for Siberia. You'd aim for the super-powers. The USA, Western Europe and China.-Jolteon

:? Please,try not to launch a nuke anytime soon.

Okay Jolteon? :P

Actually try not to launch a nuke ever. :lol:

I can't make any promises.

*Swiftly moves to Siberia*

I never posted a thread, but prior to release, when the driver was revealed, I did say on Twitter in reply to a Codz tweet that it was plausible that Richtofen controlled him. Someone said I was wrong. I stated my point. They didnt reply. I claimed victory. Anyhow, I'm just glad to see I'm not the only who thinks this. I believe this can all be solved by simply stating its a paradox, if you at the timeline, Moon and Nuketown happen in the 60s, its plausible that if Call of the Dead is in 2012/2013 then when when the nukes hit that timeline shifts and changes meaning events in future affect the past. Thats if you see time as something that isn't linear. I'm basing this opinion of a thread I made ages ago

- The Temporal Paradox Theory: Quantum Loop

The one I believe is most appropriate to the story is that the timeline got corrupted. Otherwise known as the Timeline corruption hypothesis.

Okay. Let me put another theory out there. I'm still fighting the point that TranZit is in the 60s, and I want to give another take on how it is plausible for CotD to still be modern day. I'm going to loosely talk of what Magna spoke of above me. I'm going to talk of the 'Butterfly Efect'.

For those who do not know what the Butterfly Effect is, here is a brief explanation. The butterfly effect is a term used in chaos theory to describe how small changes to a seemingly unrelated thing or condition (also known as an initial condition) can affect large, complex systems. The term comes from the suggestion that the flapping of a butterfly's wings in South America could affect the weather in Texas, meaning that the tiniest influence on one part of a system can have a huge effect on another part. Taken more broadly, the butterfly effect is a way of describing how, unless all factors can be accounted for, large systems like the weather remain impossible to predict with total accuracy because there are too many unknown variables to track.

In addition to this, the Butterfly Effect is often used to describe the effect of time travel. It is said that an individual who travels back through time can completely change the future depending on there actions in the past. As the legend goes if you travel back into the past and step on a butterfly, then something in the future will be completely changed.

So, how does this link into our Zombies storyline? Well, our old heroes were in the present. This we know. Call of the Dead was set in 2012/13 and our heroes were there. Richtofen states to the CotD cast that they travelled 'too far' into the future. Hence, they needed to travel back. That is what we did in the Easter Egg in CotD. We sent them back in time to Shangri La. So, they went back in time, hence the Butterfly Effect can potentially be fulfilled. Now, I'm not saying Richtofen stamped on a butterfly in Shangri La (although it's highly plausible he did), but what I m saying is that the past was changed, and so the future changed with it. Up until the end of the Moon Easter Egg, the Zombies storyline was following our line of time. Everything that we have seen has happened in our timeline and effectively the Zombies storyline was our past.

So how do we have this seemingly implausible series of events? Well, no mere butterfly could change so much of the future right? Well, how about three nukes hitting the Earth? That would kill a hell of a lot of butterflies, and would completely change the future. So, in this particular instance, CotD no longer exists as the future and because of our actions in CotD the future most certainly is black. That's right, it was completely our fault.

As a brief summary because the above may be difficult to understand (my unique writing style can be confusing, I know), our actions in Siberia as the CotD cast, sending Richtofen back in time, effectively 'activated' the Butterfly Effect when he destroyed the Earth with the nukes, effectively erasing the future we have seen in CotD. It's all very complicated but if you can get your head around it, it makes perfect sense. Perhaps someone who understands what I'm saying can post the theory in an easier to understand manor :lol:

Thanks for reading,

-Jolteon

I thought we were pass this whole CotD time problem...

Yes it's the present, but from our perspective and Richtofens, they were there before Moon's events. Once Moon's events happened, we simply moved onto a different path in the time stream. A place where Richtofen is in control, as opposed to the then-current stream where Samantha was in control (CotD)

I'd like to think Green Run takes place after Moon/NK Z, but there are some things that don't match. For example, Misty states she watched her father get killed by a zombie, and she can't even remember her mothers face. That honestly sounds like its been a while. But let's not forget that the obvious signs pointing towards the 60's.

PS. Can everyone seriously stop calling it Tranzit? It's Green Run, Tranzit is the mode, and will be for all the DLC. It will get confusing if you refer to it or any future DLC as Tranzit itself. So please try and use the correct name for now on please. Thanks :)

PS. Can everyone seriously stop calling it Tranzit? It's Green Run, Tranzit is the mode, and will be for all the DLC. It will get confusing if you refer to it or any future DLC as Tranzit itself. So please try and use the correct name for now on please. Thanks :)

I keep forgetting that it's actually called Green Run. I'll try and remember for the future but I can't promise anything :lol:

Also, thanks for clearing up the CotD issue in a much cleaner fashion than I could :lol:

-Jolteon

I still say it would make more sense like this for tranzit green run (see? Compromise! :D )

1960:kino,Assension.

2000ish--> cotd (ah I see the problemb, we must have gone to far into da future! Look the teleporter is compleatly broken!...) shangri la,

2020ish moon---> BOOM!

2021ish---> green run

Although in a linear fashion this makes sense, there's just no way to ignore the mountains of evidence that point to Moon being in the 60s and Green Run to directly follow it.

-Jolteon

I still say it would make more sense like this for tranzit green run (see? Compromise! :D )

1960:kino,Assension.

2000ish--> cotd (ah I see the problemb, we must have gone to far into da future! Look the teleporter is compleatly broken!...) shangri la,

2020ish moon---> BOOM!

2021ish---> green run

Although in a linear fashion this makes sense, there's just no way to ignore the mountains of evidence that point to Moon being in the 60s and Green Run to directly follow it.

-Jolteon

What evidence? Sorry if you've already answered that question..