"Carrion" Tranzit Easter Egg Analysis

Triple Ex

I have seen much negative reception to "Carrion". Which I disagree with. I do believe this song kicks proverbvial ass.

Much like "The One", "Carrion" carries little in terms of storyline hints or references. It is much a song from the perspective of a zombie.

"Like a dream where I'm falling and calling out, my resistance is silent"

"I can feel but I still can't control myself Please forgive me"

This implies (or makes intentionally obvious) that the zombies are still semi-conscious. They seem to be like this dormant personality, observing what their own bodies do, trying to resist whatever is driving them, but they simply cant. This is much like in a nightmare. You know, the one where stuffs happening and you're kicking and screaming and pleading and crying but you just can't move or do anything about anything. That seems pretty similar to how the people inside the zombies seem to feel. "Please forgive me" implies remorse by the still conscious mind as it's body hunts and kills the innocent.

"Shadow, nothing, all I am,

Stalking, killing, all I can"

The human is now simply shadow, living as nothing. simply, absolutely, living as nothing. In a sort of purgatory. Perhaps this is the torture that they cry for release from in "The One"? Perhaps "The One" and "Carrion" are more closely related than the fact that they are both from the Zombies'view. The second line is simply descriptive of the zombies.

"I was spawned from eternal night, by infernal rite, and I NEED YOUR CARRION!"

Now, this is the chorus, and it interests me greatly. Zombies are created in a completely scientific manner. 115 reanimates dead cells, but not all the way. Or so it would seem. "Infernal rite" seems to vaguely elude to something demonic or Satanic. and there have been many theories about Satan's connection to zombies. A creature summoned by infernal rite sounds like something straight from the occult section of the bookstore.

I need your carrion is simply about eating your flesh. The next few lines about dilation and stuff (while super cool) are simply about the act of killing someone.

"I could scream but I know I won't hear myself, I'm a slave to synapses"

Again, much like in nightmares, where you can't scream. A synapse is "a structure"- in the nervous system -"that permits a neuron (or nerve cell) to pass an electrical or chemical signal to another cell (neural or otherwise)." This seems very much to me like the body is simply a slave to the natural functions it is going through, (or that Richtoffen is making them go through) where they have no control.

"In my dream" -HAHA!

"Is the sound of a lullaby"

The next few lines is just a gimmicky thing to get the names of the other songs in as a reference.(seriously Kevin? "The chosen one 1 5"? ugh.)

"Vermin Martyr just as planned,"

The zombies were described as "Vermin Martyr" in "Coming Home", seeing as they are all worthless pawns working tirelessly towards a single goal with no far of death. "Just as planned" implies some sort of larger scheme taking place (which we all know is happening).

"Asking, why must I be damned"

"Bring doom/ life will cease to carry on"

^

really all the stuff until the solo

More descriptive stuff. Although some of it seems to describe the actual apocalypse taking place as the zombies were killing towns and cities, etc.

and then it's simlpy repeated stuff so it sounds epic. which it does.

so, really all I've gleaned from this is that the human mind is still conscious while their body acts as a zombie, and they simply live on a purgatory as literally nothing. Like an eternal nightmare. If we connect this to "the One", where it is stated that they want to be killed and "set free", I believe this connects quite nicely.

Oh yeah,and that "infernal rite" stuff.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

that's definitely a different perspective.

Note: During this explanation, I will use two terms for one character. Edward being athe scientific side of Edward Richtofen, and Richtofen being the controlled/one we know of in-game.

I always figured the song was from Richtofen's point of view. Note the two voices you hear in the song; An almost mournful, regretting voice, and a demonic voice.

This made me think back to all of the 'Samantha' songs. They always had two sides, one gripped by hatred for all that has been witnessed (a scarred child from all that's happened) and an almost manipulative demonic voice.

Could it be there's something else in the Aether? Let's take a look back at 115, one of the most significant songs, in my eyes, to the storyline. "To see the end of all creation again". How would She know that has happened once before unless something or someone had told her?

Now to the moon radios. Edward was nothing more than a 935 scientist with goals purely for science... That all changed when he touched the pyramid and began hearing voices. Whose voices were those? Could those voices indeed be the demonic ones from the songs?

Now, back on track. This song, from what I've seen, seems to be from Richtofen's eyes. It's showing how the purely scientific Edward is still in there, but pushed far far back in the conscious. Now whatever this... 'thing' is has been controlling Richtofen and influencing him to enter the Aether.

"I can feel but I still can't control myself

Please forgive me"

So see's now what the thing has been doing, and what has been done. Asking for forgiveness and trying to persuade us to maybe not think of Richtofen as purely evil, just a puppet being controlled.

"Shadow, Nothing

all I am

Stalking,Killing

all i can"

Remember Abracadvre's riddles? It was the demonic voice giving us those riddles. It is quite literally a shadow, nothingness left behind from whatever it was that happened in the past, and attempting to make history repeat itself. All it can do now is let Richtofen control the Zombies to do it's work: Stalking humanity and killing all of them.

"Vermin Matyr,

Just as planned

asking "Why must I be damned?""

This just further reinforces my theory. In moon Samantha told us twice (Coming home: "I need you to sacrifice the Vermin Martyr NOW!" and during the Easter egg itself) to kill/betray or that we'd regret working with that 'Vermin Martyr'. I can only assume it'd be Richtofen. Why? Because from whatever this being's viewpoint is, Humanity is nothing more than vermin, which is why it caused/was part of whatever ended all of creation before. Now that Richtofen is it's pawn, he will be a Martyr, sacrificing himself to the Aether, to conduct this being's will, all while the scientific Edward inside is asking himself why it was him that had to be damned to this fate.

I do apologize, but i'll post the rest tomorrow when I have a better keyboard. This one's keys are going out. =(

that's definitely a different perspective.

Note: During this explanation, I will use two terms for one character. Edward being athe scientific side of Edward Richtofen, and Richtofen being the controlled/one we know of in-game.

I always figured the song was from Richtofen's point of view. Note the two voices you hear in the song; An almost mournful, regretting voice, and a demonic voice.

You think that's demonic? Sure...

Anyway, If Treyarch wanted a duality in the lyrics, they would have gone with screaming and singing alongside another, just like in every other song in the game. Honestly the voices don't sound different enough to really imply this either.

This made me think back to all of the 'Samantha' songs. They always had two sides, one gripped by hatred for all that has been witnessed (a scarred child from all that's happened) and an almost manipulative demonic voice.

Could it be there's something else in the Aether? Let's take a look back at 115, one of the most significant songs, in my eyes, to the storyline. "To see the end of all creation again". How would She know that has happened once before unless something or someone had told her?

At that pointin the story, "The end of all creation" was referencing the apocalypse having happened at that time. Ever since Moon came out, almost any connection made with these is rendered invalid, due to the fact that with Moon, an originally unplanned map, they changed the story almost completely.

Now to the moon radios. Edward was nothing more than a 935 scientist with goals purely for science... That all changed when he touched the pyramid and began hearing voices. Whose voices were those? Could those voices indeed be the demonic ones from the songs?

It was always my impression the general consensus was that the "demonic" voices was Samantha's "darker side" whereas the clean vocals were her own.

Now, back on track. This song, from what I've seen, seems to be from Richtofen's eyes.

Richtoffen is stalking an dkilling all he can? He wants to feed on our carrion? The song is quite obviously from the perspective of a zombie.

It's showing how the purely scientific Edward is still in there, but pushed far far back in the conscious.

I believe you kinda cheated off my paper there a bit, but ok.

Now whatever this... 'thing' is has been controlling Richtofen and influencing him to enter the Aether.

"I can feel but I still can't control myself

Please forgive me"

So see's now what the thing has been doing, and what has been done. Asking for forgiveness and trying to persuade us to maybe not think of Richtofen as purely evil, just a puppet being controlled.

when has Richtoffen ever showed remorse for....wel, anything? The dude's always been a psychopath, even before the voices.

"Shadow, Nothing

all I am

Stalking,Killing

all i can"

Remember Abracadvre's riddles? It was the demonic voice giving us those riddles. It is quite literally a shadow, nothingness left behind from whatever it was that happened in the past, and attempting to make history repeat itself. All it can do now is let Richtofen control the Zombies to do it's work: Stalking humanity and killing all of them.

I'm not even gonna.... Yeah, "stalking, killing all I can" is totally a riddle.

"Vermin Matyr,

Just as planned

asking "Why must I be damned?""

This just further reinforces my theory. In moon Samantha told us twice (Coming home: "I need you to sacrifice the Vermin Martyr " and during the Easter egg itself) to kill/betray or that we'd regret working with that 'Vermin Martyr'.

She never makes any mention of "working with" the Vermin Martyr. As with alot of Coming Home, much of it is about completing the EE itself. That line references sacrificing the zombies to fill the pyramid.

I can only assume it'd be Richtofen. Why? Because from whatever this being's viewpoint is, Humanity is nothing more than vermin, which is why it caused/was part of whatever ended all of creation before.

How would a zombie apocalypse happen twice?

Now that Richtofen is it's pawn, he will be a Martyr, sacrificing himself to the Aether, to conduct this being's will, all while the scientific Edward inside is asking himself why it was him that had to be damned to this fate.

Yeah, but Edward spent 2 games striving for this fate. He would have made some kind of reference to not wanting to at some point, instead of feverishly working towards his plans at all times and risking hi life so many times.

I will point out again that Edward wasnn't a "nice guy" that cared ll about the science, he was still a morbid, twisted person before the Voices. Remember his stffed animal collection? Stuff like that.

And, forgive me, but I can't help but thonk tht you simply repurposed some of my ideas to fit your own.

• 3 weeks later...

I always thought this was from Richtofen's POV also... only because they have a male singing it and not Elena. Reading the lyrics, though, it's obvious it's from the Zombie's perspective. Which begs the question... why did they not have Elena do it?

Also, while we're on the topic of the hidden song... I read (I think on the Call of Duty wiki) that if you activate the teddy bears in a certain order, Avenged Sevenfold's "Carry On" will play? Is there any truth to that? I've done them in a few different orders and always got the same song. It also said that some Skrillex song that's in a multiplayer map could be played originally, but was removed with a patch.

Sounds like complete BS to me, but just wondered if anyone could confirm.

I always thought this was from Richtofen's POV also... only because they have a male singing it and not Elena. Reading the lyrics, though, it's obvious it's from the Zombie's perspective. Which begs the question... why did they not have Elena do it?

Also, while we're on the topic of the hidden song... I read (I think on the Call of Duty wiki) that if you activate the teddy bears in a certain order, Avenged Sevenfold's "Carry On" will play? Is there any truth to that? I've done them in a few different orders and always got the same song. It also said that some Skrillex song that's in a multiplayer map could be played originally, but was removed with a patch.

Sounds like complete BS to me, but just wondered if anyone could confirm.

It's not true.

Also Zombies seems quite rushed this time around, so I think they didn't have time to fly Elena in to sing. Hell, they had to patch the song into the game after it was released.

In the past it was said by Kevin that the songs were always in the perspective of the announcer.

In Elena's songs about Samantha they have said multiple times that the voices call her the 'Chosen one' and now it says here that the sound of a lullaby is calling him the 'Chosen one'. Also when it says 'Shadow, nothing, all I am" these are answers to the two riddles in "Abracadavre" where Samantha says she is a shadow and then nothing.

It also says multiple times that 'I need your carrion', Carrion being dead flesh. In the Easter egg Richtofen needs the dead flesh from the zombies, and the zombies are out to die to make the announcer stronger. This is stated by Samantha in moon. Both singers also say 'I'm undone', this would obviously be Richtofen describing himself in Aether, the same way Samantha did.

In the past it was said by Kevin that the songs were always in the perspective of the announcer.

In Elena's songs about Samantha they have said multiple times that the voices call her the 'Chosen one' and now it says here that the sound of a lullaby is calling him the 'Chosen one'. Also when it says 'Shadow, nothing, all I am" these are answers to the two riddles in "Abracadavre" where Samantha says she is a shadow and then nothing.

It also says multiple times that 'I need your carrion', Carrion being dead flesh. In the Easter egg Richtofen needs the dead flesh from the zombies, and the zombies are out to die to make the announcer stronger. This is stated by Samantha in moon. Both singers also say 'I'm undone', this would obviously be Richtofen describing himself in Aether, the same way Samantha did.

There have been a lot of great points made for both sides but this has pretty much sold me that its Richtofen

There have been a lot of great points made for both sides but this has pretty much sold me that its Richtofen

Why thank you