Jet engine powered hand cannon. (New "wonder weapon") 10/18

Good day folks. Today I'm going to discuss a theory on this new "wonder weapon" we've seen in the Zombies Reveal trailer. I recently replied to another topic regarding this weapon, and it got me brainstorming. The discussion started over this picture.

It doesn't say 1500RPM but RPM x1000, meaning that the 10 - 80 represent 10,000 - 80,000

RPM. That's a lot of rounds...

I think the RPM they're referring to is Revolutions Per Minute, not Rounds Per Minute. 80,000 RPMs is significantly high for a spinning object. Most car engines have a redline of 8 to 10 thousand RPMs, with performance motorcycles and RC cars getting anywhere in the 10-30k range, but nowhere near 80,000 RPM. Whatever that weapon is, it is using an EXTREMELY high powered motor to power it.

Now, that got me thinking, just what is really powering this weapon. The maxiumum RPM (Revolutions Per Minute) of 80,000RPM seen on the gauge in the picture makes it clear that there is an object that is spinning very quickly. And what's the first thing that comes to mind when you hear spinning quickly? Turbines. A turbine can be defined simply as "a rotary mechanical device that extracts energy from a fluid flow and converts it into useful work." There are multiple types of turbines, but the gas powered turbines are the most common. Yes, thats right, the same ones used on airliners. Jet engines.

Here's a short article on how the process works:

D9J91Iq52Bk

Now review the last ten seconds of the trailer again. The sound is blatantly clear and strikingly similar to that of a jet or airplane. The sound of the engine builds louder and louder as the RPMs build. Have you ever been on a airplane, and right before you get ready to take off, you hear the engines getting louder and louder? That is the sound you are hearing in the trailer. Oh, and have you ever seen how these jet engines create a tremendous amount of air turbulence around them when they are operating? This is due to the air being sucked into the jet engine so rapidly. We can see this effect occuring in the trailer as well:

I know you're asking yourself how we'd be able to hold such a weapon. Looking at videos of jet engines being tested, it looks like they'd weigh a ton! Well we have to assume that this jet engine isn't the same as what we are seeing on a Boeing 747 or similar aircraft. This would be a smaller version of those engines. But it'd still be quite heavy. Thus the need to use two hands to hold the weapon. The weapon is held by the waist, much similar to a Death Machine, and hip-fired like the DM as well. You can see the new female character holding the weapon in this manner:

The assumption is that the weapon would funtion somewhat similar to the Thundergun, but on a much larger scale. Think 50+ zombies dead from a single shot. It's also possible this weapon will have the ability to suck in zombies into the compressor blades of the engine for double the killing power. We know with this TranZit mode there will be around 100 zombies spawning at once if not more, so this weapon is going to be significantly powerful.

*This last part is just pure speculation, but I have a feeling this may not be a "wonder weapon" as we see fit, but a new buildable weapon. We know we will be able to build things from weapons to devices to tools and such in the game, and I believe this might be an example of what we're capable of creating with the right parts. A "jet engine gun" might seem like an extremely difficult thing to fabricate, but do a quick search of homemade jet engine on Youtube and it's clear that the fundamentals behind it are not difficult to comprehend. Also, I imagine we will find blueprints around the world that will tell us what we need to make it. Like I said, this last part is speculation, but I see it as a possibilty.

Shooter

Update 10/18/12

James C. Burns recently uploaded a Zombie analysis video to his SgtFrankwoods Youtube channel. In the videos, he points out the finer details of the reveal trailer. At 4:50 in this video, he breaks down the details of this new mystery weapon. Note the message at the bottom during the video, "It looks like an engine...but not for a Motorcycle...Does the word "turbine" mean anything to you?".

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Awesome post. I love most of what you said, but my knowledge on this type of technology is low, so forgive me for not being able to contribute a whole lot to your topic. All I wanted to say though was that I pictured this machine being more along the lines of a gas pressured wonder weapon. Not jet propelled.

Well technically it is high pressure gas at some point. When the high air pressure rushes into the compustion area, it is combined with a gas (jet fuel). The mixture is then ignited, and thrust is produced from the combustion process. So technically, it is gas pressure in very loose terms. :lol:

Here's a short article on how the process works:

The 'Jet engine' could run on combustion caused by combining 2 gasses (Avogadro's Law).

The audio you hear after firing the gun sounds like the zombies getting fried more than blown away with pure pressure (Thunder gun).

That's true. While a gas turbine engine does produce a trmendous amount of thrust and heat, it's generally not enough to cause instant death or a gigantic blast. But if there was a way to store this energy, and release the buildup once it reaches max RPM. If that's possible the weapon could produce a blast of extremely hot air pressure equivalent to multiple Thundergun shots.

I think it's some kind of futuristic motor from the bus, compact, light (or at least liftable), and able to suck in and spew zombies with the push of a trigger. I think you can build it as you progress the bus more and more towards the end, when the bus has finally hit it's last stop you get the motor, the final peice of the weapon. And begin the cycle again with a different bus, or other vehicle, once you've collected the weapon it won't run on bulits but it will overheat, when it does it becomes too hot to hold and you drop it where you are... However by compleatly the rotation again you can pick up the cooled-off weapon from where you dropped it!

I think Stop MockingMe might of nailed it on the head with the engine sucking them up rather than it shooting anything. I think its a little more logical and I think it would be totally awesome to see that happen when ur behind the person with the gun. It would be gory yet funny at the same time. But I think I've seen a video on YouTube before when a guy gets sucked into one but still survives. But I don't think treyarch is aiming for ultra realism in the zombie side of the game. :D

I was thinking the same about it sucking them in like a sort of high pressured vacuum. Mostly because I remember a quote from Richtofen on ascension whenever he got the thundergun from the box: "If I had designed this thing, it would have sucked and not blown..." of course I could be wrong.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

You guys will love this.... I was watching the launch clip and there is a glimpse of THE TURBINE weapon in action!!!!3 i said 3 times no less.... Actually two but one was shown from two angles....

The first is the creator of the fog around the max ammo, observe the path created by the fog.

Next, after the chick's shot at the farm, they show inside the barn, the gun fires a white ray and makes smoke, after you can see it "lit up" with a very big mouth. On the very next shot where the camera is in the above floor you see the ray crossing the room!

Instead of a thundergun effect on zombies its looking more like a ray gun with only one, penetrating,small diameter beam.

I cant believe i missed this for so long!

I saw this video today on youtube, and it reminded me of Shooter's theory in the OP about the possibility of the weapon using a jet turbine

CzG3hKe020U

- Mix

Looks like ActionPackeddd has been enjoying my theories lately :lol:

You guys will love this.... I was watching the launch clip and there is a glimpse of THE TURBINE weapon in action!!!!

After the professor and chick's shot at the farm, they show inside the barn, the gun fires a white ray and makes smoke, after you can see it "lit up" with a very big mouth. On the very next shot where the camera is in the above floor you see the ray crossing the room!

Instead of a thundergun effect on zombies its looking more like a ray gun with only one, penetrating,small diameter beam.

I cant believe i missed this for so long!

I suppose you mean this white cloud?

It is odd, but it's too hard to tell what it is that's making the blast. It looks like some of the zombies themselves are leaving these foggy cloudy trails. The first and third parts like like fog unless I'm not seeing something.

Updated the OP to add the info on how turbines work from one of the replies I made awhile ago. Also added the Sgtfrankwoods video about the weapon.

+

+

Placed on the work bench, no machine can be seen in the video @ 0:20:

wUbVZAy8XeY

The same blueprint is seen here (Top Right)

This diagram is in our face, Treyarch want us to know this. This link takes us back to Germany/Poland, Group935 had a foothold in the USA as we well know. Just look at the buildings Barn/Diner & the bus/cars = 100% American apple pie.

I don't think the machine on the blueprint is for the "Builables", infact I'm 100% sure it is for the MDTs. Yes I believe they will also return in TranZit somehow.

Combine the pictures I posted & you get the weapon at the end of the trailer:

YH_9GzaUW40

Evidence? I agree it is a jet/turbine sound no doubt there, that gives power & suction.

Then we have the Lawn mower drop from the bus tour which stated the following "We should not let this type of equipment go to waste". This is the killing element.

We now know that you have to put multiple items on the bench to create a "Buildable weapon".

A industrial leaf blower, lawn mower & turbine are normal items that could be found just lying around in TranZit. As are the car door & dolly wagon plus wantever else is needed to make the splat shield.

Then there is the sound at the end, the zombies sound like they are getting squished.

James said that the tool box was important as were the gas canisters.

So there could be many different possibilities.

0WCDOtClg7I

nGdEeoX42v0

Who is to say that once you have your Buildable weapon, you can't stick it in the Pack-A-Punch.

Personally I would wield some spikes on the other side of the splat shield just for some added sting.

For some weird reason I want to say TranZit is set in Pennsylvania... IDKW?! Randomness.

Late for me so I'll have to cut & run or this post will end up a draft.

Regards Alpha.

I am hesitant to make a guess as to the purpose of the gun at the end of the trailer. The RPM rise high yet the temperature stays at 0k, which is absolute zero only achievable in theory. However when you start to get down to absolute zero, quantum effects are able to be witnesed.

2Z6UJbwxBZI

So I am not saying it is not a jet engine, I Just find it strange that the temp dial is in kelvin and has not budged from zero, maybe this has something to do with the fog we see. Ahh it probably is a jet engine, at least we wont have to wait long to find out.

Looking At all of alpha's info, especially where he points out the gas can and whatnot, really makes me think the weapon will be something along the lines of the offspring of an illicit encounter between a flamethrower and a thundergun.

An Whosonfirst, I think that the temperature would probably spike sharply at the time the gun fires, and we can't see it because it shuts to black before we could see it.

Edit: here is my theory on the gun's function based on my above statements.

You hold this bad boy and Press the right trigger to fire a blast of fire. However it has minuscule range and power. So, you hold down the left trigger, spinning up the turbine. Once it is fully spun-up, which I guess will take anywhere from 2-5 seconds, you can shoot a much bigger, totally massive and devastating blast of fire.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JxR7RYuF2fU

OH MY GODDD!!! THE QUARTERBACK IS TOOOOAST!!!

Looking At all of alpha's info, especially where he points out the gas can and whatnot, really makes me think the weapon will be something along the lines of the offspring of an illicit encounter between a flamethrower and a thundergun.

An Whosonfirst, I think that the temperature would probably spike sharply at the time the gun fires, and we can't see it because it shuts to black before we could see it.

Edit: here is my theory on the gun's function based on my above statements.

You hold this bad boy and Press the right trigger to fire a blast of fire. However it has minuscule range and power. So, you hold down the left trigger, spinning up the turbine. Once it is fully spun-up, which I guess will take anywhere from 2-5 seconds, you can shoot a much bigger, totally massive and devastating blast of fire.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JxR7RYuF2fU

OH MY GODDD!!! THE QUARTERBACK IS TOOOOAST!!!

Totaly appreciate where your coming from and I am probably just being pedantic. What I was specificaly pointing out though is that the temp gauge reads absolute zero, rather than say an ambient temperature of say closer to 300kelvin. If the temp was something to take into account, then it would be an indication of artificial cooling. This short video explains the differance between kelvin and centigrade.

-OksPBid1EE

I dont really get what good setting a zombie on fire thats allready happily burning will achieve for you as a player. Though in truth I cant offer any other suggestion as to what this gun is other than possibly a jet engine, unless it acts like a Winters Howl?

This gun will have as many downsides as upsides for me. It will be heavy and wont be able to be abused. In the sense that If we re-use it several times the turbine temp will rise and not work, like turret guns in many games.to make it harder maybe it doesnt work at low temps too? (the temp gauge marks 1 and 2k because its 1 and 2000º Farenheit or celcius, not kelvin...)

The upsides are: i agree with Electric Jesus that holding the trigger to increase rpm and power And still be able to pack some punch if rapid firing like a single shot gun.

Another benefit is i believe we'll be able to get "ammo" using the bateries and spray cans around???

Ocurred to me just now it may be a raygun-ish effect at low speeds and thundergun when loaded.... How about that?

2in1-5uN and masterblaster when pap'd

+

+

Placed on the work bench, no machine can be seen in the video @ 0:20:

wUbVZAy8XeY

The same blueprint is seen here (Top Right)

This diagram is in our face, Treyarch want us to know this. This link takes us back to Germany/Poland, Group935 had a foothold in the USA as we well know. Just look at the buildings Barn/Diner & the bus/cars = 100% American apple pie.

I don't think the machine on the blueprint is for the "Builables", infact I'm 100% sure it is for the MDTs. Yes I believe they will also return in TranZit somehow.

Combine the pictures I posted & you get the weapon at the end of the trailer:

YH_9GzaUW40

Evidence? I agree it is a jet/turbine sound no doubt there, that gives power & suction.

Then we have the Lawn mower drop from the bus tour which stated the following "We should not let this type of equipment go to waste". This is the killing element.

We now know that you have to put multiple items on the bench to create a "Buildable weapon".

A industrial leaf blower, lawn mower & turbine are normal items that could be found just lying around in TranZit. As are the car door & dolly wagon plus wantever else is needed to make the splat shield.

Then there is the sound at the end, the zombies sound like they are getting squished.

James said that the tool box was important as were the gas canisters.

So there could be many different possibilities.

0WCDOtClg7I

nGdEeoX42v0

Who is to say that once you have your Buildable weapon, you can't stick it in the Pack-A-Punch.

Personally I would wield some spikes on the other side of the splat shield just for some added sting.

For some weird reason I want to say TranZit is set in Pennsylvania... IDKW?! Randomness.

Late for me so I'll have to cut & run or this post will end up a draft.

Regards Alpha.

You're definately on the right track there Alpha. Funny when the trailer first came out we didn't have any of sort of bus drops or real info on buildables, just the fact they existed, but it was instantly noticable to me this would be one of those "buildables". The turbine just seemed to give it away. It's just too different than any other wonder weapon we've seen before. The leaf blower seems like a stretch though. Any turbine spinning at 80k RPM is gonna produce a ridiculous amount of PSI (or possibly KSI). But who knows maybe Treyarch would make it work. But anywho I see where you're going with this. It'll be interesting to see what Treyarch decides to do with it.

And I totally I agree about the MDT. I believe we will be creating one from spare parts throughout the world of TranZit. How can we build a teleporter to get the old gang back home if there's no one left alive that we know of that can help us build one? Simple, we follow the bluebrints!

But the question is how they ended up there, and that brings me to Der Riese. I also beleive these are the plans for the MDT from Der Riese, but I believe they were most likely seized from Der Riese by the Americans when the allies overran the base in 1945. This is also how they managed to create the teleporters at the Pentagon. I'd imagine America would be the last place for an actual 935 site. I know they had operatives in America, which I'd most likely assume were spies within various bases (Area 51 for sure). So these were most likely the stolen plans of the MDT from Der Riese, but why are they in this location? Well you might be on to something with Pennsylvania...

Now make what you will of this, but there could be a possible connection.

In 1886, the Westinghouse Electric Corporation was founded by George Westinghouse. The company were the first to produce long-distance power transmissions and high-voltage transmissions. They were the first to produce AC transmissions thanks to a patent from Nikola Tesla. Tesla was also employeed by the company in the late 1880's. From it's inception, they rivaled General Electric, and Westinghouse even held a grudge against it's owner, Thomas Edison. The rivalry continued all the way up until 1930's. They are now produce a wide range of nuclear products and services to utilities throughout the world, including nuclear fuel.

Anywho, in the early 1940's the company officialy created a divison named the Westinghouse Aviation Gas Turbine Division who were in charge of building Jet Turbine engines. The first engine produced by the company was titled the J30. One of the applications for this engine, the Northrop XP-79B, the predecessor of the XP-79. A possible connection to the license plate of the bus seen in the trailer?

Sorry, I wandered. Back to Pennsylvania. The Westinghouse Electric Corporation (Now Westinghouse Electric Company) is centrally located in Butler County, Pennsylvania. Perhaps just a coincidence, but interesting none the less.

Now onto the possibilty of adding gas to the weapon to create a flamethrower type Thundergun like someone stated. It's totally possible, and seeing how gas turbines need gas to run on anyways, it could be as easy as adding a more potent fuel source. This weapon is sounding more badass by the minute folks. And adding some 115 from the PaP for safe measure like Alpha said, and I have a feeling this weapon is gonna mow down freakbags with ease. :P

So I am not saying it is not a jet engine, I Just find it strange that the temp dial is in kelvin and has not budged from zero, maybe this has something to do with the fog we see. Ahh it probably is a jet engine, at least we wont have to wait long to find out.

"In the combustion chamber, fuel is mixed with air to produce the bang, which is responsible for the expansion that forces the air into the turbine. Inside the typical commercial jet engine, the fuel burns in the combustion chamber at up to 2000 degrees Celsius. The temperature at which metals in this part of the engine start to melt is 1300 degrees Celsius, so advanced cooling techniques must be used."

http://www-cs-faculty.stanford.edu/~ero ... s/how.html

As Zombie-cowboy stated, the gauge is measuring temperature in Celsius, a common trait for Jet engines. I imagine that the gauge is not moving yet because the turbine is still spooling up and has not reached such high temperatures. There also appears to be a ready light for when the temperature reachs 1000 (1k), indicating the weapon may need to be "charged" before optimal use.

This goes back to what EJ said about the ability to charge the weapon with the left trigger, and firing with the right when the temperature and pressure are high enough to create an explosion capable of taking out 50+ zombies.

This gun will have as many downsides as upsides for me. It will be heavy and wont be able to be abused. In the sense that If we re-use it several times the turbine temp will rise and not work, like turret guns in many games.to make it harder maybe it doesnt work at low temps too? (the temp gauge marks 1 and 2k because its 1 and 2000º Farenheit or celcius, not kelvin...)

The upsides are: i agree with Electric Jesus that holding the trigger to increase rpm and power And still be able to pack some punch if rapid firing like a single shot gun.

Another benefit is i believe we'll be able to get "ammo" using the bateries and spray cans around???

Ocurred to me just now it may be a raygun-ish effect at low speeds and thundergun when loaded.... How about that?

2in1-5uN and masterblaster when pap'd

My first thoughts on the Un-spun up fire mode would be more like a blast from the dragons breath but with much less range. This way if you run around a corner and are face to face with a dozen zombies you aren't screwed, but it still isn't as effective as possible. As for the idea of it firing like a raygun, we already know they did that with the wave gun but based on this gun's Build and structure it seems like it won't have any secondary function based on an attachment. I still think it is possible that the same weapon can use the same attack but at different intensities though.

Another possibility is...

Depending on what base fuel you find it could have different effects! For example,

Using gasoline makes it shoot fire

Liquid nitrogen makes it freeze them

Acid melts them down

And maybe there is a secret uberfuel that makes it fire lasers? (115?)

That would be beastly.

I'm a little worried that you guys are putting too much thought into this with such little informaton. What if when it comes out it turns out to be different than what you imagine, be it drasticly so or minimally so, and these theories overshadow the actual truth? What if the in-game evidence implies it is made from an industrial rotator but everyone still thinks it is made from a jet turbine based on pre-game "evidence"? Perhaps I am overthinking overthinking, but I think I am not thinking I'm underthinking overthinking.