Zombie disc 2 ? DLC seperated ?

hi guys wanted to talk about the possibility of zombies being on it's own disc.

Treyarch have said that zombies will be its own game and I'm expecting the zombies experience to be huge maybe too big to fit on 1 disc..

So do you think this would be a good idea or do you rather having it all on one disc?

Also do you expect the DLC for the game to come combined like previous games, or do you think they will separate it this time, e.g. a multiplayer map pack and a zombies map pack.

personally i think they will separate it because the inclusion of 4z4 and the adding of maps to that, maybe releasing 4, 4z4 maps and a classic mode map.

would you prefer them to be split up or carry on with the way they did DLC on black ops 1.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One thing that makes me think this certainly could be possible, is the nature of the two sided poster (which is also the two sides of the steelbook case for the prestige/hardened editions) has one side of the soldier, and one of the girl with the zombie head... It seems feasable to me that perhaps we might see one disc for zombies and one for MP/campaign. I don't neccessarily think that will happen, but it wouldnt completely surprise me

This is the way that Treyarch should do this, but it's not necessarily the way they will. Few reasons:

1. It seems like something they would've announced already. I know they haven't given us many details about zombies, but they have tried to tease us about how huge it's gonna be - talking about map size, 4z4, multiplayer engine, etc. If they really wanted to get our attention about how huge it'll be, "it's got it's own disc" would've been at the top of their list to announce.

2. DLC. Treyarch likes to release their zombie maps in the same DLC as the multiplayer maps, because otherwise few would buy the multiplayer DLC. Pieces of DLC are only compatible for one game, and two different discs would be considered two different games. They couldn't release a DLC for both games - they'd have to release one for each. It would either get really complicated, or they would lose multiplayer sales.

3. They'd be selling two discs for the price of one. Could they afford this? Of course, for $60 they could probably be selling the discs in threes. But they wouldn't bring in as much money because the manufacturing costs of the discs would double. Therefore, it wouldn't make much logical sense.

I agree with some of your points but i think there are also many reasons why they would consider this option...

Firstly they may not be allowed to announce this because of Sony's bluray, many games mainly rpg's have been released on the Xbox with more than one disc and only relying on one bluray disc on the ps3, Microsoft may not want to publicize the fact that there disc do not hold as much content ....

I agree with you that it would lose them sales on Multiplayer DLC but i think these numbers would easily be made up by the sales on zombies and if not generate more money as there will be players buying both packs like myself.

The point you make about being 2 different games while valid, i don't think it would be a problem it would be the same game you would buy the content in the same place, the only difference would be the fact that the content would be separate and therefor only work with the correct disc.

Finally i don't have much insight about how games are manufactured but i don't think a publisher like activision would have any money worries when it comes to how many disc would be included, i doubt the cost of manufacturing the discs is that high anyways.

Guys, I don't think that releasing two seperate DLC's will make them lose money. You have to think outside this community and as much as I hate to admit it...multiplayer is probably the biggest part of every cod game. Sure Black Ops 2 will have a kick-ass zombie mode that appeals to a lot of people, but there will always be more people playing multiplayer.

Think of it like this... if there were about 15000,000 people always playing zombies (numbers will obviously fluxuate depending on time,day etc.), and maybe 400,000 always on for multiplayer, then releasing two DLC's would make sense. And let's be honest, all or most zombie fans will play multiplayer as well.

Of course they'd have to make the content attract buyers. So include 2 zombie maps and 3 new multiplayer maps along with a re-imagined map for 2025. Charge maybe $15 for each, and Activision now has a larger profit margine.

EDIT: I don't know if it's a solid idea... but yeah. I just thought about it and typed at the same time lol.

This is the way that Treyarch should do this, but it's not necessarily the way they will. Few reasons:

1. It seems like something they would've announced already. I know they haven't given us many details about zombies, but they have tried to tease us about how huge it's gonna be - talking about map size, 4z4, multiplayer engine, etc. If they really wanted to get our attention about how huge it'll be, "it's got it's own disc" would've been at the top of their list to announce.

2. DLC. Treyarch likes to release their zombie maps in the same DLC as the multiplayer maps, because otherwise few would buy the multiplayer DLC. Pieces of DLC are only compatible for one game, and two different discs would be considered two different games. They couldn't release a DLC for both games - they'd have to release one for each. It would either get really complicated, or they would lose multiplayer sales.

3. They'd be selling two discs for the price of one. Could they afford this? Of course, for $60 they could probably be selling the discs in threes. But they wouldn't bring in as much money because the manufacturing costs of the discs would double. Therefore, it wouldn't make much logical sense.

i know at least one of the Halo releases was 2 discs. yes production costs would increase, but the cost of the physical discs and creating them is so minute, it wouldn't greatly impact their margins.

also regarding mulitplayer sales, i know this is a CoD zombies message board, but most of our community seems to overlook the fact that the vast majority of people are buying CoD for the Multiplayer and Campaign. Yes Zombies has grown, but multiplayer still makes up the vast majority of the play of the game. if anything I think it's helpful to both to have the DLC come together, because if might entice a fan of either of the game modes to try out the other facets of the game.

Afraid to burst your bubbles, but it will be on one disc. Reason? $$$ Money. Activision have never really shown any care towards the customer, only towards the cash going into there pockets. So, if Treyarch considered two discs, Activision would have 'advised' they reduce the game size to one disc. Think of it this way, each disc would cost maybe half a dollar roughly? Maybe more? Maybe less? Currently there are just over 1 million people playing Call of Duty Black Ops or MW3 on multiplayer. Bearing in mind this is JUST multiplayer, and then take into account people playing Zombies OR offline, it probably amounts to roughly 2 million people. Then take into account the amount of people that won't be playing Multiplayer and will buy BO2 only for the zombies, and people who will buy BO2 as there first game CoD game, and THEN Christmas figures etc. it amounts to at least 3 million people. They will probably distribute an extra 2 million on top of all of that as well, as most developers will do, as a 'just in case' (faults, problems etc.). So, let's call it a clean 5 million games that they distribute to the world for sale. For EACH extra disc they are spending half a dollar, which totals up to a whopping 2.5 million dollars just to give the game on two discs. Not worth it? You bet your ass it's not.

However, two DLC packs seems a little more likely. It costs Activision no more to distribute two DLC packs... However money still comes into the equation. Selling the Zombie maps alongside the Multiplayer maps meant that Activision knew that everyone would be buying the DLC whether it was just for the Multiplayer maps, or just the Zombies. If they were to sell them seperately, they would make a huge loss. Say for every BO2 player, 25% only play the Multiplayer and 25% only play the Zombies roughly (this seems accurate to me, although it could fluctuate amounts for each side, 50% seems right to me) then they are losing roughly 50% already from people who will only buy one of the DLC packs. Add on another 10-20% of people who won't buy either of the DLCs, and it totals to a potential 70% loss on all DLC sales because they sold them seperately. Money my friends. it's all that Activision cares about.

Apologies for the size of the wall above, but to summarise, Activision care far too much about money and not enough about the customer to do either of the subjects in question.

Thanks for reading.

-Jolteon

Afraid to burst your bubbles, but it will be on one disc. Reason? $$$ Money. Activision have never really shown any care towards the customer, only towards the cash going into there pockets. So, if Treyarch considered two discs, Activision would have 'advised' they reduce the game size to one disc. Think of it this way, each disc would cost maybe half a dollar roughly? Maybe more? Maybe less? Currently there are just over 1 million people playing Call of Duty Black Ops or MW3 on multiplayer. Bearing in mind this is JUST multiplayer, and then take into account people playing Zombies OR offline, it probably amounts to roughly 2 million people. Then take into account the amount of people that won't be playing Multiplayer and will buy BO2 only for the zombies, and people who will buy BO2 as there first game CoD game, and THEN Christmas figures etc. it amounts to at least 3 million people. They will probably distribute an extra 2 million on top of all of that as well, as most developers will do, as a 'just in case' (faults, problems etc.). So, let's call it a clean 5 million games that they distribute to the world for sale. For EACH extra disc they are spending half a dollar, which totals up to a whopping 2.5 million dollars just to give the game on two discs. Not worth it? You bet your ass it's not.

However, two DLC packs seems a little more likely. It costs Activision no more to distribute two DLC packs... However money still comes into the equation. Selling the Zombie maps alongside the Multiplayer maps meant that Activision knew that everyone would be buying the DLC whether it was just for the Multiplayer maps, or just the Zombies. If they were to sell them seperately, they would make a huge loss. Say for every BO2 player, 25% only play the Multiplayer and 25% only play the Zombies roughly (this seems accurate to me, although it could fluctuate amounts for each side, 50% seems right to me) then they are losing roughly 50% already from people who will only buy one of the DLC packs. Add on another 10-20% of people who won't buy either of the DLCs, and it totals to a potential 70% loss on all DLC sales because they sold them seperately. Money my friends. it's all that Activision cares about.

Apologies for the size of the wall above, but to summarise, Activision care far too much about money and not enough about the customer to do either of the subjects in question.

Thanks for reading.

-Jolteon

Sums up what i was about to say... well put

One disc, if it will be 2 disc it will be on the xbox much like BF3 was.

But they wouldn't put it on another disc due to cost issues (much like some one put in much detailed post over a very simple explanation) if they were worried about cost they probably would of thought about having zombies as a DLC game only and charging people by the map each time (rather than selling it part of black ops and giving the option to buy each map, they would charge £20 per map and no other costs)

Any one who reckons they have 2 seen disc spaces within the games case, (mainly within the steel one) should be reminded it is most likely just the soundtrack.

I honestly don't think the cost would be that much tbh and this is more a case of can they fit it all one disc if zombies is as big as they say will they be able to fit 2 full games on 1 disc without cutting stuff out...

May I refer you to my previous post. The cost, although seemingly small, adds up to a rather extensive amount for something that could be avoided.

Think of it this way, each disc would cost maybe half a dollar roughly? Maybe more? Maybe less? Currently there are just over 1 million people playing Call of Duty Black Ops or MW3 on multiplayer. Bearing in mind this is JUST multiplayer, and then take into account people playing Zombies OR offline, it probably amounts to roughly 2 million people. Then take into account the amount of people that won't be playing Multiplayer and will buy BO2 only for the zombies, and people who will buy BO2 as there first game CoD game, and THEN Christmas figures etc. it amounts to at least 3 million people. They will probably distribute an extra 2 million on top of all of that as well, as most developers will do, as a 'just in case' (faults, problems etc.). So, let's call it a clean 5 million games that they distribute to the world for sale. For EACH extra disc they are spending half a dollar, which totals up to a whopping 2.5 million dollars just to give the game on two discs. Not worth it? You bet your ass it's not.

-Jolteon

Yeah but considering how much money they will make 2 million is'nt a massive amount and they may have to do it because the size of the game they are not going to cut down content on the 360 because it won't fit on 1 disc....

Except in ANY circumstance, two million is a CRAP tonne of money. Especially for money grabbing, selfish companies like Activision. They will do everything in their power to avoid a 2-disc game and I'm afraid that is just a fact. Activision care more about the money than the game itself, or even the customers.

Besides, IF there was a need for 2 discs, it would have been announced months ago.

-Jolteon