A Farewell to Sanity chapter 4 coming late

CajunBacon

Hey everybody CajunBacon here and i'm going to bring you bit by bit, chapters of a book I am now starting called, "A Farewell to Sanity" It's about a teenage boy named Devin who is all alone in a zombie apocalypse in his hometown of New Orleans, Louisiana. A whole lot of twists and surprises will come in this story and I hope you all enjoy this. Hopefully I'll be able to post a chapter every week or two, but i'll get it posted as ASAP. Without further of due here is "A Farewell to Sanity"

Enjoy!

-Cajun

Note:The first chapter is the introduction.

another note:After chapter 2 is published i'm gonna be gone for a little bit and I wont be able to post chapters but I will be on the forums.

Chapter 1

The once live greasy streets of New Orleans now lay dead and silent. Ever since the outbreak, Devin’s very way of thinking has changed. He used to think about simpler things like school, video games and girls, you know, the average things. Now, he only thinks of survival, his family, and a way out of this hellish nightmare. It’s been months since he last had a happy thought floating through his mind, but now everything is dark, evil and cruel. Every day was a fight for his life. He’d always run into some trouble with the undead that has now risen. Devin used to believe in such things as god, and Jesus, but now all of it is nothing but a pile of bullshit to him. Where in the bible does it say that the living must fight the dead? He searched and searched day and night for countless hours but could never find the answer. Uncountable numbers of people had died right before his eyes, but they were the lucky ones. The ones who perished got to see the end of this nightmare while the damned lived and struggle every day just to live. Besides all of that, Devin finally caught a break and found a place to shelter himself in for a little while. It was a small hardware store not that bigger than the average McDonalds. He’s been staying there for what felt like three days. His only watch broke a month ago when he and his family were attacked by a couple of zombies. He seen his entire family get devoured by those undead bastards while he was trying to keep himself from following their fate. After that almost all emotion seemed to be gone from his soul. He felt nothing but pain take over his body and mind, leaving happiness and similar things to be consumed by the zombies. Every day since, he always looked at his nine millimeter pistol and always had the thought of putting an end to his struggle. All hope is gone, and all he has now is his knowledge of this now destroyed no-mans-land of a city and his conscious.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey buddy I started reading this and it looks like real good stuff but the dark text proved too much work for me to finish. You should change the color to something a little brighter, text like this can be tough on the eyes.

EDIT: Maybe it was just that I was reading this on an ipod at the time.... :lol: :oops:

Anyway, after reading this: I like the sentiments you are going for, the dark lonely transforming power the apocalypse has on this kid. If your going for a critique, I felt you layed this on a little thick here. Some subtlety would do you good. Wise man once said, "Show me, don't tell me"

Heres chapter 2 enjoy!

-Bacon

Chapter 2

The sun was beaming though the little windows of the hardware store. Devin was just sitting on the floor next to some ply wood, and electric drills. He rubbed the top of his head feeling his black bushy hair. He liked his hair; he had a short type of afro. He used to always keep it nice and tidy. He looked around the little hardware store and then at his arms. He had brown skin. His skin wasn’t really dark but around the color of the inside of a chocolate cake. Devin stood up and noticed a little window. It had little bars covering it, and a little stool next to it. Devin got up and walked to the window and sat down on the stool thinking of his next move.

“If I could get back over to my house, I’d be able to get to granny’s car and drive to the bridge.” He said to himself, quietly. He was fairly close to where his house was. Right now he’s by St. Charles and his house is a few blocks away on Touro. It sounded like an easy task but it wasn’t. As Devin looked out of a window a shady figure was right looking dead at him. It was a god damn zombie! Devin jumped back and watched as this undead shit attempt to get through the barred up window. It was just screaming and wiggling its arms around through the openings of the window. Devin looked around for something to shut this son of a bitch up. He found a hammer by the ply wood he was sitting by and aimed at the zombies head. He concentrated for a few good seconds and then flung the hammer towards the zombie. The hammer successfully penetrated the zombies head with the sharp end. The undead creature slumped on the window with the hammer still lodged in its skull. Devin noticed blood running down the shaft of the hammer. He silently walked over to the now dead zombie and struggled to get the hammer from out of its head. As soon as he took it out he examined it and found little bloody chunks of rotten brain stuck to the edge of the hammer.

“Dirty undead piece of sh*t.” Devin commented to himself disgustingly. It’s a good thing he found that hammer. If he had to use his pistol, then a whole horde of them would have probably came. He sat back down and an entire galaxy of thoughts started to float around in his head.

“How did everything come to this?” He asked himself. His only chance of ever leaving the city was crushed about two weeks ago.Radio transmissions were broadcasted throughout the city to any survivors. Anyone who was still alive was to come to the Super Dome so that the military would help protect them and airlift everybody out of this damn hell hole until it was all over and done with. He was so close to being free, but when he got there, it was too late. When he arrived, he witnessed something almost as brutal as these undead bastards taking over the city. The Super Dome was being attacked by zombies and that wasn’t even the worst part. The so called “military” were not only shooting the zombies, but they were also killing all of the survivors that were trying to escape on the planes. Soldiers were throwing them out of planes and shooting anybody who got close. Devin saw one soldier trying to get to the planes but he hit him across the back of his head with a nearby two by four. Devin took all of the supplies that were on the soldier. His guns, grenades, water, vest, hell, he even took his boots. After he was done scavenging everything of use off of the soldier, he looked over towards the Super Dome and saw dozens of helicopters now above the once football stadium. Devin left the area and watched the planes of those lying cowards fly away only to save themselves. No pity was shown to the now dead people of New Orleans. It really felt like him against the world. He could only trust himself but now he’s even starting to have second thoughts about that.Looking back at the window where he killed that zombie he noticed that it was still hanging on to the window. Devin slowly walked up to it and just stared at the now dead creature. Anger swelled up inside of him like a shaken soda can.

“These things are mocking me with their being here.” He said to the corpse. He grabbed its arm and pulled it so that the corpses head was leveled with his. Devin’s anger was about to explode. He Took hold of the hammer once again and started beating the head of the zombie. Screaming and swearing, and countlessly beating the insides of the head out. These things took everything important from him. His family, his life, even is train of thought, but mostly his sanity. He took one last swing at the now bloody dismembered face of the corpse ripping off more rotten meat. He then pushed the corpse away from him. He stumbled and then fell to the ground. He dropped the hammer in front of him and grabbed his head. It felt like a bomb went off inside of his skull. The pain was unbearable; millions of bombs were exploding in his head. He heard the screams of every living being all at once, he saw those undead bastards eating everybody.He couldn't breathe, The walls were closing in on him, and he had to escape. He grabbed his pistol, his bag with all of his supplies, and the hammer and burst out of the barricaded hardware store. He ran around the corner, and up the street until his legs started to hurt. He couldn't get any oxygen into his lungs, the pain was getting more unendurable, and the screams started to get louder. He couldn't take it anymore! He dropped to his knees and screamed at the world.

"Get the f*ck out of my head!" He yelled. Still holding his head he got down on his side and waited for his head to burst open. All of a sudden all of the pain in his head just disappeared, his breathing became stable again and he could no longer hear the vociferous screams anymore. He stood back up and looked towards the direction from where he left the hardware store and then in front of him. His worst fear just became a reality as Devin was looking at an entire horde of zombies. His eyes widened at the sight of them as they began running towards him. Their vicious screams echoed throughout the entire city. As Devin ran he took out his pistol and started shooting towards the horde. He gotten a good distance away and turned around. He aimed down the sights of his pistol, aiming straight for their heads. One by one they were falling, red gunk and blood was flying everywhere as more zombies were coming. Devin kept shooting until he heard no more gun shots. He was out of bullets, and that wasn’t even the worst part. It didn’t even seem like he killed any of the zombies as they kept running towards him. Devin turned around and ran for his life.

Hey buddy I started reading this and it looks like real good stuff but the dark text proved too much work for me to finish. You should change the color to something a little brighter, text like this can be tough on the eyes.

EDIT: Maybe it was just that I was reading this on an ipod at the time.... :lol: :oops:

Anyway, after reading this: I like the sentiments you are going for, the dark lonely transforming power the apocalypse has on this kid. If your going for a critique, I felt you layed this on a little thick here. Some subtlety would do you good. Wise man once said, "Show me, don't tell me"

thanks for the feedback. I'll make sure to use lighter colors for the next chapters.

p.s. I'm a huge fan of your stories on these forums

Heres the first paragraph for chapter three since I did'nt post anything in a week. I'll post the rest of the chapter around next monday/tuesday if I get done. hope you enjoy!!

-Cajun

Chapter 3

The screams of the undead filled every corner of the city as they pursued after Devin. He had no idea where he was going now, but he knew he had to get away from them. Block after block his legs were starting to hurt more and more. Devin didn’t even dare to turn around to see how close they were to him as his legs were starting to feel mushy. Sweat was beading down his face, and he was panting heavily, but he couldn’t stop, he did not want to die in a place like this, to things like those.

Hey guys. I finally got around to post chapter 3! Hope you guys enjoy!

-Bacon

Chapter 3

The screams of the undead filled every corner of the city as they pursued after Devin. He had no idea where he was going now, but he knew he had to get away from them. Block after block his legs were starting to hurt more and more. Devin didn’t even dare to turn around to see how close they were to him as his legs were starting to feel mushy. Sweat was beading down his face, and he was panting heavily, but he couldn’t stop, he did not want to die in a place like this, to things like those. He kept running turning corner after corner trying to lose them, but it was a futile effort as they were still following his every move. The destroyed businesses there once were, now lies in nothing but rubble and disaster. He started to slow down and the zombies were gaining on him, and fast. Devin looked to his right and saw an alley with a gate, and quickly turned towards it.

“I have to jump that gate.” He thought to himself. He felt adrenaline pump through his entire body as he started to pick up speed once more. He entered the alley with the horde still close to him. The dark alley made it hard for him to see and he couldn’t tell how far he was from the gate. It didn’t matter right now. All that mattered was him getting to that gate and getting away from these things. He could tell he was getting closer, but how much closer? The answer literally hit him when he finally ran into the gate head first. He stumbled a little bit and then started to climb for his life. This gate was way taller than he expected it to be. It was about ten feet high. Devin struggled climbing up the gate until an unexpected pain struck his head. That pain from when he was at the hardware store had returned, and of all the times it would be now. He grabbed his head with one hand, forgetting that he was being chased and he felt something grab his leg. It was a damn zombie! Devin kicked and fought but the corpse would not let go. Its screams were making the pain in his head even worse.

“Get off of me!” He screamed at it. He grabbed the hammer which he stored inside of his pants and smashed the zombie in its face. A huge chunk of meat went flying the other direction and it let go and he climbed over the gate to the other side and fell onto his back. He started to suck up air like a vacuum. He staggered while getting back up and looked at the gate. The horde of zombies that were once after him were now clawing at him from the gate and screaming. He spit in their direction and walked away.

thanks for the feedback. I'll make sure to use lighter colors for the next chapters.

p.s. I'm a huge fan of your stories on these forums

Thank you very much :D

By the time this post gets up i'll probably have another short story up.