Game mode idea: hunger games

Electric Jesus

Hey guys! I haven't really played mine craft very much but I played the game called hunger games in it, and loved it. My first thought was OMGCODLOL, so here it is!

24 plates are in a circle with a player on each. Scattered all across the map are weapons, equipment, and that sort of thing. Near the plates are pistols, ballistic knives, motion sensors, and in the center would be snipers, assault rifles, and claymores. The gradual change from crappy to awesome goes from outside to center. Each round the weapons spawn randomly. However, they will still always be good guns in the center and worse guns on the outside.

There are several seconds after the initial gong where you can't shoot or use knives or equipment. Some people who are masters with pistols or ballistic knives would becatcan unfair advantage if you could shoot right off the bat.

You can choose to either grab the best handgun you can find and make a break for it, or risk it all and go for a rifle and risk being killed at the second gong. Each player gets 3 lives. They start with nothing but their 3 chosen perks. The pick ten system does not apply here. Their HUDs show how many players are left. As well as ammo and equipment.

random occurrences happen to drive players together. Maybe stealth bombers could cut off people's paths, or napalm. A mortar/lightning strike could send multiple players through a choke point. these are made to speed up the game.

The maps will be randomly generated, with a randomly selected theme. These range anywhere from nuketown to afgan.

There are killstreaks in this mode. However, they are very restricted. Uav and counter uav are available. Blackbird/orbital VSAT are available too. There are no RC weapons, turrets, air/ground AI support, or death/war machines.

Emps are available as well. However, these get a bit of an upgrade in this mode. The emp shuts off voice notifications, and doesn't allow players to see their survival bonuses on screen. This makes it so that unless they are directly involved in a kill, they will have no idea whatsoever who is alive.

If you die you have 3 lives so you're alright. You lose whatever you were holding, leaving you with a knife only until you find another weapon. If you die for real, you simply spectate. At this point you are likely to rage quit because it might be a while until the game ends. The ultimate tribute will receive a massive bonus of xp.

Actually it might be difficult to have randomly generated maps, so how 'bout ten or 12 generic maps that have very simple features. A desert with rocks, a forest, hilly plains, an empty nuketown style street with no houses that are accessible, you get the point.

This will be a lot like the actual hunger games because the first minute will be a literal slaughter house. After that, when it's down to the last few players, it will become a match of tactic and cunning.

One thing that I can't specify enough is that there are no buildings of any kind. It would be too easy to snipe or camp then. A tall hill or boulder is the best perch a sniper could hope for here.

As far as equipment goes, you pick an equipment and your 2 grenades in the lobby. Then in the map some of the supplies are color coded boxes for them. Red are lethal, yellow are equipment, and blue are tactical. Picking a red one up by siezing it like a care package gives you one of whatever lethal you picked. Same for tactical. Equipment do the same but are less common. You can have up to 2 equipment and up to 2 lethal and 3 tactical grenades.

Just to clarify, there is no actual cornucopia, but there is just a higher concentration of weapons in the center. There are less around the plates, and even less outside the ring of the plates. From outside to inside you might, for example, come across:

An asp

Tactical grenade

A m1911

A ballistic knife

A python

A lethal grenade

Explosive crossbow

**plate**

Dual CZ75s

Stakeout

Equipment

Spas 12

Pm63

FN FAL

Spectre

PSG-1

Commando

**center**

And that would be only on one side. On another it would be different weapons but in descending order outwards as well.

My name, is KATNISS EVERDEEN! And I WILL HAVE MY REVENGE! **fires bow** Katniss noooooo!!

YYYYEEEEEAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!!!!

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i like this is idea maybe as a party game, but instead of the good items being in the middle maybe make it completely random, this for me would add to the excitement

finding out what weapon i get....

Maybe in each pack you get a class with ten points spent, the classes could generate at random so you never know what you will get :)

^^^ my idea is more true to the real hunger games but I like that! In the hunger games the implication is that if you try to grab a good weapon in the center YOU WILL DIE. So then we would have like half of the people getting picked off by the pistol guys in the first ten seconds. After people finally caught on, it would essentially become modified one on the chamber.

Following your idea would be better I think. Imagine, the quick scooper of the lobby getting stuck with a shotgun, or the CQB player getting stuck with a bolt rifle, just because it is nearby. Then there is the possibility of your assault guy of the lobby spawning right next to a noob-tube equipped commando.

The risk would make it fun! You know how every lobby of SnD is full of "hardcore" try-hards? This would be like that, because only truly good and versatile players would enter this mode knowing that they might end up with just freaking grenades and still hope to win.

This will make it all the more hectic because of the dozen or do different gameplay styles employed at the same time in a small map.

TLDR: ^^^ yeah the guns should just spawn randomly.

one thing i might want to mention is that when it comes down to the final 5 or so, all hell breaks loose.

uav becomes active for everyone.

flamethrowers mounted in trees activate, scaring players more than damaging them.

mortar fire decimates the field.

none of these are particularly lethal, but all work to drive players towards the center.

the final minutes of a game of one in the chamber or SnD can be like hot razors in your heart if you are spectating. so this will allow the game to finish with a bang.

if im not in the final 3 in a wager match i quit mostly because i cant stand waiting 3 minutes spectating for a reward of like 10 cod points.

another thing to note is that if 2 people are killed by the same explosion/bullet/napalm at the same time, and they are the final 2 tributes, they each respawn with an extra life. the victor of the 76th hunger games must be undisputed!

Hey, is your name Katniss Everdeen?

no, why?

because you are causing a major uprising in my district!

YYYEEEEAAAAAAAHHHH!!!!!!!

I have a few ideas to add.

-Everyone has a knife to start, 2-hit kill on front, instant kill on backstab.

-10 second grace period so nobody will die instantly

-Double/triple health, no regeneraation

-Headshots with snipers are instant kills, only bolt action spawn.

-Perks and guns sometimes spawn in the outer region of the map

-Map size based on amount of players

-Secret teams of three can be created in lobby, friendly fire disabled until there are 7 players left. Only your team can hear you unless you are alone, dead players can talk like in S&D.

-1 magazine in all guns, ammo can be collected from any gun

/\/\ hell yeah. what do you mean about perks? they spawn in like labeled boxes and you pick them up to add to the perks you have? to specify...

my idea is that you have a separate class for this mode. it only includes 3 perks, and equipment. you start each game with 3 perks and can pick up equipment in the map. whatever type you picked is what you get when you get one of 3 types of equipment boxes. the 3 types are tactical lethal and equipment.

maybe you pick 3 perks in order of priority. then you start with no perks. finding one gives you the first on the list, and the next one you find gives you the 2nd, and so forth.

edit: i especially love the careers idea about secret parties.

btw congrats on UOTM

I like this. A LOT. This is one of those things that actually strays away from the core multiplayer mode so much, that it has the potential to become it's own mode. I mean, I can see them making Hunger Games specific maps. (BTW, if this were actually to be implemented in-game, they would legally have to call it something besides the Hunger Games, unless they could actually get Suzanne Collins to agree. Just sayin :roll: )

You know what popped into my head first when I read this? The announcers that narrate the games on live TV across the districts. This mode would pair very well with CODcasting.

Also, as an option in private matches, I think it would be cool to have one player not play the game at all, but rather be the Gamemaker. The Gamemaker could curse the players, by calling in mortars and napalm strikes, or bless them, by sending care packages. I could also see map-specific things, like traps that only the Gamemaker could activate. Of course, the Gamemaker would have a lot of power, and it's not out of the question that they would just troll every player and kill everyone immediately. That's why this feature would only be in private matches.

Again, I friggin love this idea. I feel like it could be like zombies, that fun extra mode that becomes absolutely huge.

^^^ you are right about the name, but I called it that for the sake of allowing people to relate it better to what they already know about HG.

The voice notifications should just be a deep manly dramatic announcer voice unique to the mode. I would laugh my ass of if I heard "ladies and gentlemen, the winner of the 76th hunger games is ELECTRIC JESUS!" or "Electric Jesus scores a neat kill on R4ND0M n00b, with his clever use of an ak47 to the face!"

I like the idea of you picking up guns and then having a full mag and one reserve.

When I read the game maker idea I nearly crapped my pants. That is SOOOOO AWESOME! I.O.U. Brains!

It needs limitations though. How about only one action per minute. In order to compensate, they have full roaming spectator abilities, Like in theater mode.

They have a limit to how many times they can use each thing. For example, only 2 napalm and mortar strikes per match. They can activate one of (for example) three traps around the map. You can use them infinitely but using one disables all 3 for 3 minutes. You must also wait a minute to use something else afterwards.

Sending care packages needs limits too. No sending to your own party members, or the person in first place. These can contain the aforementioned available killstreaks, any perk, a clip of ammo, or health (you don't regenerate in this mode) . You send them to players, not locations. It will fly on and drop near the player. It is still possible to be stolen because it can arrive after someone is killed, or they could be killed just before claiming it. The game maker can't decide the contents.

EMPs, and counter-uav affect the gamemaker's ability to act. They can't do anything until the emp wears off, and the counter uavs deny them the ability to use the minimap for mortars, napalm, and other directional killstreaks.

They will scroll through a list, or simply hit random, to decide who receives care packages. Their party members and the number one tribute are excluded. You do the same for traps, but it is a much shorter list with no random.

The traps are:

Flamethrower turret in tree (fires in a circle)

FireWall (sweeps from one side to the middle, pushing players to the other side)

Trip Field (activates invisible tripwires in a certain area which force players to dive to prone)

There needs to be a legitimate list of things they can do. Here you go.

KILLSTREAKS

Mortar strike X2

Napalm Strike X2

Rolling thunder X1

RC-XD X2

Care Package X infinity

Four attack dogs X1

EMP X1 (only affects players)

Uav/counter uav X1 Each.

Can only be used once every one ONE AND A HALF minutes. Nothing can be used at all until this time is up. No directional attack killstreaks can take effect within ten meters of a player upon the moment of activation. This makes it hard to hit players and kill them directly but if timed well can land on a player who runs under a falling bomb.

TRAPS

The aforementioned traps. They can be used only once every minute. Nothing can be used twice in a row, and nothing else can be used until the minute is up. They can't be activated of a player is within five meters of it upon its activation time. for further detail...

The flamethrower will always come from a tree, rock, post, or some other objection the map. It fires in five directions and rotates.

The fire wall sweeps slowly from one side of the nap to the other. The FrameMaker chooses which side it comes from. It is visible beyond the boundaries of the map to that players near the walk it starts on won't get surprised and killed by it immediately.

Trip field does no damage but is more for laughs as players go falling all over the place in a previously intense firefight. Tee hee hee! This affects a large ish area (about one fifth of the map). It can be used when players are within the area. You select which sector should be affected.

Flashout-this causes a certain area to receive multiple blasts like from flash, stun, or smoke bombs. This can be activated wherever the game maker wants, and can be activated in close proximity to players. This effects a small ish area. About 3 of each grenade are set off, and the game maker chooses which type.

KILLS

Obviously you can kill players as the game maker, both directly and indirectly. And direct kill gets you 150 XP. Any indirect kill by a trap gives them 50. Giving a care package which is successfully claimed by the target gives 100. If it is claimed by anyone but the target you get 50.

The gamemaker's is randomly chosen in the lobby. Therefore the lobby must house 25 players. They don't know if it's then until the start of the match. If the gamemaker's quits, a spectator takes their place. If there are no spectators they wait until the next elimination and that person becomes the game maker.

YYYYYYEEEEEEEAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!

Edit: by the way, this should be in ALL matches, public and private.

By the way, sorry for typos and grammar fails, I typed this on an iPhone.

Now it has grown to be too compicated. The gamemaker doesn't need to be included, the game can just send a lethal killstreak to someone who has been sitting still for, say, 20 seonds to stop camping. If this were playable I would rather have it be strictly you, your gun, and maybe a perk you find outside.

Now it has grown to be too compicated. The gamemaker doesn't need to be included, the game can just send a lethal killstreak to someone who has been sitting still for, say, 20 seonds to stop camping. If this were playable I would rather have it be strictly you, your gun, and maybe a perk you find outside.

Yeah, this (and the balancing issues) is why I suggested that it be an optional feature for private matches only. Keep the matchmaking version true to the core Hunger Games that you talked about before.

^^^ yeah, I was just throwing out ideas for the gamemaker and I got a bit carried away. It should be optional. I'm not even sure if I would want assault streaks to come at all. When it gets down to the last 6 or so tributes a uav should become active. That way it will prevent anyone from being able to stay still for 20 seconds. Before then, it will be too cramped for anyone to avoid interacting with others.

I kinda like the idea of secret career parties in the lobby, but then it would likely just end up a barebones multi team deathmatch every single game. Everyone would love to try and dominate with a team until there were no non-team players.

It should stay like it was in the OP but with some small changes that you all brought to the table.

I so wish I could give you brains for this right now. I am a huge fan of the Hunger Games trilogy and to see this implemented into cod would be a dream come true. I know it would require Treyarch to go a little bit outside of the box on this one, but I think it would so worth it to include this as a regular online game mode. Just think of how insanely popular it would be since it's almost an entirely new style of gameplay for cod. :D

This is based on the book series THE HUNGER GAMES. Here is a recap of the book:

All of this happens prior to the events of the books so it is no spoiler.

After a nuclear war the world is destroyed but a new country called panem emerges from the rubble and occupies the now deserted north America. There is a Capitol and 13 districts. The districts rebel, so the Capitol annihilate district 13 to make an example of them.

Then to punish the districts, every year after that they hold the hunger games. A boy and a girl ages 12-17 are taken from each district. They are put in an arena like I described and must fight to the death.

The 24 "tributes" rise up from underground plates into the arena. The arena can be any type of terrain. Weapons are scattered across the ground, along with food, supplies, equipment, and that sort of thing. Weapons are more abundant closer to the center of the ring of tributes.

at the very center is a golden cornucopia filled to the brim with all of the best weapons. At the beginning most tributes rush in here and try to grab a good weapon and run away, but mostly they die. Then like half are left after the first day.

It can last weeks. It is called the hunger games for a reason. The elements are as much of a danger as enemy tributes.

There are game makers who oversee the game, taunting the tributes. They can make trees fall near then, spawn in vicious wild animals, set the arena on fire, and force tributes towards each other in many clever ways.

The last alive is crowned the ultimate tribute.

In my version, ions of the only major differences is the 3 lives each. Here is an official list of changes to the OP based on feedback.

1. No cornucopia. Weapons are completely randomly placed.

2. Gamemaker can be present in private matches only.

3. No grenade launchers! The likelihood of finding a flak jacket in the arena is minuscule. A grenade launcher would therefore decimate the competition. Whoever found it would be a god in the arena.

4. You can find some specialty attachments by themselves. Suppressors and sights, that sort of thing.

That's all I have to say.... About that......

EDIT: in case it was unclear, it is basically a free for all where everyone has 3 lives. You start with only a knife and must scavenge for weapons, all while surviving the other enemies' attacks. The last alive wins. If the last 2 die from the same blast or bullet or whatever, they get an extra life each. There can be only one victor.

Well I think this should be like a wager match or party game or whatever. My reasoning for the undisputed Victor is that when I play wager matches I am always in the money pretty much. I can't stand when other random players or me tie with someone because it splits the money up poorly. If it was a tie it would be like the nightlock incident if you know what I mean. ;) I want there to be ONE winner and one winner only: doctor Frederick Steiner! Wait what?

Anyway... Yeah, maybe there is an XP reward based on in which order the players were eliminated, and how many kills they scored. That way getting kills AND surviving are equally important objectives.

• 1 month later...

I don't think Treyarch understands how much amazing feedback this would get. This is an amazing idea, and definitely should be incorporated, maybe not with as much detail as stated, but this idea alone is great, and it should definitely be incorporated.

My favorite hunger games books are the first two, "hunger games" and "catching fire". I love how clever the arenas are, and there isn't one in "mockingjay."

But on topic, I REALLY hope something like this is in the game. It would blow my mind. I doubt it though because apparently party modes are for parties (imagine that), and this is for free for all.