PANIC-KNIFING

I've heard a lot of buzz about so-called panic knifing and how it is "the only thing that ever ends my streak!" this is laughable. Panic knifing is an excuse that people with bad reflexes have for why they get killed (IMO). The point of the knife is to pit two players in a battle of reflexes during an intense surprising encounter with an enemy player. If the knife took 2 hits to kill someone, or if you had to take the second or two to draw it, it would be useless! You might as well just shoot them! That much is undeniable. I've seen argents on this subject on far too many MP threads, so I took it upon myself to create a discussion thread for this topic. What I wrote salvation lies above it my personal opinion on the subject. Discuss.

-V

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most people are panic knifers because they do not change their settings and use the default button layout. When conforted coming around a corner they click down on the analog, not because they mean to but because they were startled. I use the tactical button layout so when I knife it's purposefully and skillfully. But with this layout I do tend to panic drop shot in the same situation as a panic knifer.

I've heard a lot of buzz about so-called panic knifing and how it is "the only thing that ever ends my streak!" this is laughable. Panic knifing is an excuse that people with bad reflexes have for why they get killed (IMO). The point of the knife is to pit two players in a battle of reflexes during an intense surprising encounter with an enemy player. If the knife took 2 hits to kill someone, or if you had to take the second or two to draw it, it would be useless! You might as well just shoot them! That much is undeniable. I've seen argents on this subject on far too many MP threads, so I took it upon myself to create a discussion thread for this topic. What I wrote salvation lies above it my personal opinion on the subject. Discuss.

-V

This times a million! I'm so sick of people calling me a panic knifer when I clearly out play them. It's called reflexes noobs!

Being a 'run around knifing' guy, what bugs me is when I lag of course, but that's unnaceptable, but the lunge which is present in certain games only ruins this :P You shoot forward, making you miss if anything, leaving you facing the wrong way and open to a knife :3

And I agree with you, same way people say using x y or z is nooby, whatever kills them seems to be unnaceptable even though its part of the game (untill the moment they use it...)

I think the problem is that it's a reflex. It's usually when someone pops up close to you and makes you jump and slam your thumb down on the stick, knifing. It's the action of shooting someone, getting a few shots into them, and then them knifing you that's the issue. That's what needs to be resolved.

See, for players like me that use Tactical layout, layouts different from Default button layouts, this is completely different. The "reflex" (As said above) is the issue. You get so used to pressing the analog stick to knife, that at times your first reaction is to knife them. There are various things wrong with this. I play on Tactical, along with a majority of players, and even when we're in tight spaces, our first reaction is not to hit the "B" button as it is set for Tactical layout. We have to shift our right hand from the analog stick to the B button, while Default users can easily click the button out of pure reflex. I can say that honestly, I have panic knifed in Black Ops (Around) 2-5 times, no more. You also have to think about this, they are not eliminating panic knifing as a whole at all, in fact, it will still be very frequent. From the rumors we have heard, it will be 2 knives for one kill. If a Default user runs around a corner, encountering a tactical user, at the same time, the Default user is going to panic knife, requiring one more knife to kill. The Tactical user will not do the same, as we are just used to shooting down our enemy, instead of knifing. Now, the Tactical user will have half of his health down, while he can still shoot the enemy, and the default user can either choose to knife again (Which he will most likely die from) or finish shooting, while the Tactical user has the same amount of time to shoot down the enemy, while the enemy was in the process of knifing. Now, both Default users, and Tactical users will have the same amount of chance to kill each other.

Most people are panic knifers because they change their settings and use the tactical button layout. When conforted coming around a corner they quickly press the B button, not because they mean to but because they were startled. I use the default button layout so when I knife it's purposefully and skillfully. But with this layout I do tend to panic drop shot in the same situation as a panic knifer.

See what I did there? Think before you post.

Just because you play on the "tactical" settong diesn't mean you knifing soneone takes any more skill than the other guy. People playing on default have quicker access to their knife, and that's an advantage to that that control scheme has. It takes just as much skill/reflex to click down the analog stick than to press the B button. If you want to knife faster, change the controls.

I think the problem is that it's a reflex. It's usually when someone pops up close to you and makes you jump and slam your thumb down on the stick, knifing. It's the action of shooting someone, getting a few shots into them, and then them knifing you that's the issue. That's what needs to be resolved.
That's the thing, it's a reflex. It's not magic, or hax, it's just you simply reacting faster than the other guy. I wouldn't say it's panic, it's just reacting to the situation with the correct weapon. I don't tense up and accidentally hit it, I press the button, of my own accord.

-V

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!

For people saying that using the tactical layout means that you cannot knife without going to the B/O button which means you will definitely be slower than someone with the default layout. Lemme put it like this.

"I HATE IT WHEN PEOPLE DROP SHOT ME. They have tactical on and all they have to do is press the right analog down whereas I have to press the O/B button to get down to the floor then I'll be dead because they got down before me and my sensitivity is too low and I can't aim at them before they kill me. I HATE PANIC DROPPING :evil: COD SUCKS" (just an acting rant/not my opinion but a valid point :D)

If I had quick enough reactions (which I think I do as this isn't much of a problem for me) then I would have the same chance of killing him.

It is part of the game, if a knife takes two shots to kill then to me it would be worthless but by the looks of the MP trailer it isn't. We just need to assign the knife to us like a normal weapon. Which I still don't like much but I suppose it would be better -_-

Personally if you don't like the fact you can't knife without having to press B/O then change the layout. There is a reason the controller layouts are there. Would you prefer to drop shot/crouch down quickly or would you prefer to knife someone when they come around the corner? I work with the default layout and I can do both fine.

The problem I do see with knifing though is the animation jump. I feel quite sympathetic for player where I ani-knife them, but then, that is one extra kill to me :D

99% of the time, you will die in cod by someone shooting you. I don't know what the problem is when you get knifed every once in a while. Plus, this is a video game. It's not like getting "panic knifed" has any detrimental effect on you in real life.

Cod is my real life... but yeah, this.

My friends and I have played a lot of "mike myers". Not sure how many people play it but for those who don't, you have one person on one team and the rest on another. Mike Myers can only use his knife to kill people and tomahawks if its the last one. Everybody has one life and last man standing can knife back.

This has trained us to avoid others peoples knife attacks as well as reduce panic knifing to nearly never. It helped me out because I have a 2 bar most of the time and shooting is almost always better than knifing on 2 bar.

This^

I don't mind being knifed if I was too slow to react, that's fair in my opinion. What annoys the hell out of me is blasting someone in the chest/face with 3-5 bullets then getting knifed.

Of course this is mostly due to lag, so...

(Rant/)And slightly off topic, saw some guy selling a lag switch on Ebay. Wtf?! Most online games suffer from some pretty severe lag and those f@*&ers want to make it worse? If you have to resort to cheating why not do something else instead? Really bugs the hell out of me(/Rant)

This^

I don't mind being knifed if I was too slow to react, that's fair in my opinion. What annoys the hell out of me is blasting someone in the chest/face with 3-5 bullets then getting knifed.

Of course this is mostly due to lag, so...

(Rant/)And slightly off topic, saw some guy selling a lag switch on Ebay. Wtf?! Most online games suffer from some pretty severe lag and those f@*&ers want to make it worse? If you have to resort to cheating why not do something else instead? Really bugs the hell out of me(/Rant)

Lag is dependent on you're internet. I have Comcast and pretty much always have a four bar, sometimes a three, and my ping is normally around 30-50 on PC.

I would rather have the knife be an equipable weapon that is only used for stealth, humiliation, whatever. When I knife, I rarely ever do it so I stay off the radar, I do it because it is just a natural reflex to me. Because I really like to use shotguns, I typically need to sprint around the map at all times to get closer to an enemy so my shots will kill faster. However, If I go around a corner at the same time as someone else I will usually be stabbed when I try to use my shotgun. If I can't even use my gun at its most effective range I get really mad.

I would much rather have it as a finisher that does 50 damage instead of a one hit kill. Knifing isn't about whoever intentially does it first, it's whoever gets scared the fastest.

Being a 'run around knifing' guy, what bugs me is when I lag of course, but that's unnaceptable, but the lunge which is present in certain games only ruins this :P You shoot forward, making you miss if anything, leaving you facing the wrong way and open to a knife :3

And I agree with you, same way people say using x y or z is nooby, whatever kills them seems to be unnaceptable even though its part of the game (untill the moment they use it...)

it is evidently human nature to blame failure on something other than yourself. just like how ANY TIME a team loses an MP match, when you get back to the lobby all you here is "fucking campers, you guys are a bunch of little camping bitches" no matter what. obviously 100% of all winning teams can't 100% be camping, but the losing team is going to blame their loss on something. same applies to just a single death. i hope they don't change the knife mechanics, because it's fair the way it is. as long as they don't have a perk debacle like they did in MW2 with commando pro, the knife in its current state is fine.

i just wish more people would just accept the fact that they got outplayed as opposed to blaming their loss on x,y, or z like you said ;)

The problem is that the game is a shooter. My natural reaction is not to get a BS instakill auto-aim lunge at a guy, it's to shoot my gun. That's the way the game should be. Either make it a two hit-hit melee or make so you have to take time to pull out the knife. Shooting a guy and getting a bunch of hit-markers and then having him simply click a stick once without even using ANY skill at all is frustrating as hell. That's why the knife, at least in the form it is now, just shouldn't fucking exist.

How about the possibility of us not being able to stab within a second or two of being shot? Ia possible explanation is that you are flinching too hard or are stunned. That way you could sneak up on people and have the classic advantage. Also if you suddenly ran into someone you could both knife and have 50/50 like normal, which seems fair enough to me. However, you would no longer have an unfair disadvantage if you shoot at someone at point blank. Seems to be a fair compromise to me! I don't want to spend a precious create a class point on something that we have taken for granted for years! The knife has been the same in multiplayer, campaign, spec ops, survival, and oh yes, ZOMBIES since cod4!

-V

i think its hilarious that all the people with tactical layouts are the only ones complaining.

Its a trade off you have to pay for your layout. You trade fast knifing for drop shooting, the same as people on default who trade drop shooting for fast knifing.

Now please think before you rant about getting knifed by someone panicing and just remember all those times you dropped to prone and dodged their knife and got the kill because lets face it all panic knifes are slashes which a drop shot will evade, so default vs tac still is balanced and still is a test of reactions. o and fyi if the person is far enough to lunge knife, then 99% of the time they saw you.