What kinds of maps do you prefer?

Hey guys, I mentioned this a little while ago, but here it is again.

It seems that the community likes maps that are indoors, in a facility or lab-type setting.

Take: for example, 3 of the most popular maps:

Der Riese,

Moon,

Ascension,

Now, these maps are, for the most part, completely encased in cold steel.

Then, take 3 of the least popular maps in the game:

Shangri-La

Call of the Dead

Shi No Numa

These maps, are almost completely outdoors, in an exotic setting. Shangri-La is without question the most beautiful map in the game.

In a way, this sends a message to Treyarch. We don't want outdoor maps.

Do you guys? Or could you care less?

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think that we hate outdoor maps as much as we say we do.

1. It adds fervor to the game in ways

2. If done right like COTD it can make for fun and challenging maps

(I don't know why I made a list lol)

But take for example some maps like Der Riese, people love it because it's easy. Most of the community likes having fun with zombies they just casually play it. Thats why those maps are most played.

Shangri-La isn't a bad map but a lot of people seem to bash on it, I agree tho it is a beautiful map. They bash because they can't play it then they go play Kino or something because its easy and linear.

I actually would like more challenging maps like Nacht or Shangri-La, which I am sure they will have more of that style of maps in BLops 2.

Nice thread I can't believe somebody hasn't done this already this was a good read and thought. :D

I think the only reason people bash on CotD sometimes is because of George. And they don't like "Five" or Shangri-La either, because it's tight and difficult. Add this to people wanting PaP in the classic maps cause they're "too hard" and people wanting perks on NDU, I would have to say the popular opinions on maps are based entirely on weenies who don't want a challenge.

I thought George was great, Shangri-La is one of my favorite maps, and I don't want them touching the classic maps at all - I was even a little upset to see that they added Mule Kick.

Treyarch should keep making maps the way they do. Please don't make another Ascension. Maps like that just bore me.

Tankeo I feel your assessment is a bit off.

The feelings I get although very small sample people seem to favor easy maps. Ascension, Moon, Der Riese are among the easiest regardless what style you prefer.

Five, Shang are the least favorite, due to the difficulty. Truth is, not all maps are created equal, they each present unique challenges. Verruckt is very easy solo, co-op is complete 180. Same could be said for Five. Call of the dead is easy for two, much harder for 4 or solo.

I think by this point Treyarch understands the Moons and Ascensions are what most people want, and likely what we will get. Hopefully with something like a NML somewhere in between.

The feelings I get although very small sample people seem to favor easy maps. Ascension, Moon, Der Riese are among the easiest regardless what style you prefer.

Five, Shang are the least favorite, due to the difficulty. Truth is, not all maps are created equal, they each present unique challenges. Verruckt is very easy solo, co-op is complete 180. Same could be said for Five. Call of the dead is easy for two, much harder for 4 or solo.

I think by this point Treyarch understands the Moons and Ascensions are what most people want, and likely what we will get. Hopefully with something like a NML somewhere in between.

Moon is my favorite map at this point. Why? The actual Moon is piss easy, while NML is a lot of work. Even now we are still finding new ways to improve our kill total. That's replayability right there. Treyarch figured out a way to appease everyone. They gave the people that want easy maps the Moon, and they gave the hardcore players NML. Everyone wins!

Why do you consider Der Riese an easy map?

The fact that there's no flopper in it plus the exaggerated ammount of dogs in the later rounds makes it one of the hardest IMO. You must first make it far in that map before one can judge its difficulty.

- Doggy II

The fact that there's no flopper in it plus the exaggerated ammount of dogs in the later rounds makes it one of the hardest IMO. You must first make it far in that map before one can judge its difficulty

- Doggy II

Ouch, unnecessary attack on my credibility and credentials perhaps?

I see myself as an average player at best, yet reached 27 on my third or fourth try, 29 soon after. Not nearly the case on Five or Verruckt.

Keep in mind the general public do not reach high rounds. The general public, aka average players, see reaching round 30 on Der Riese not as daunting as a task as Five or Shang. Is it hard to reach 50? The general public would not know. We can only judge the difficulty of maps base of low to mid round reachability.

Everyone has their own opinions and preferences. I personally like the atmosphere, setting, size and just about everything else in Der Riese. Ascension is definitely another one and what I like about those two the most, is that with just about any amount of players, (including solo) there's dozens of strategies as well as hold off spots, looping/train spots to keep those maps fresh. Not that there isn't in the other maps necessarily, but I feel as though I'm going to have less of a chance to survive if I don't stay in one general area sometimes, which handicaps the rest of the map, basically.

I think the variety Treyarch has going now works great. I'd personally like to see some more Der Riese/Ascension size maps return, but between exotic and traditional, indoors or out, they've got a pretty fair balance, I think. I just want to see more distinct differences and a focus in scare factor, and weather/environment conditions too. Moon, for example, did a great job by adding the low gravity feature. I like when the general atmosphere plays a part in how to game is played too.

The fact that there's no flopper in it plus the exaggerated ammount of dogs in the later rounds makes it one of the hardest IMO. You must first make it far in that map before one can judge its difficulty

- Doggy II

Ouch, unnecessary attack on my credibility and credentials perhaps?

I see myself as an average player at best, yet reached 27 on my third or fourth try, 29 soon after. Not nearly the case on Five or Verruckt.

Keep in mind the general public do not reach high rounds. The general public, aka average players, see reaching round 30 on Der Riese not as daunting as a task as Five or Shang. Is it hard to reach 50? The general public would not know. We can only judge the difficulty of maps base of low to mid round reachability.

It was not an attack. I was simply making my point, because I see many people saying that Der Riese is easy. If you think that it was an attack, then I apologize. Sure, you can get to 30 easily, but you must realize that compared to easy Black Ops maps such as Ascension and Moon, it is in fact a hard map to play in. Round 30 on De Riese is not that same as round 30 on Ascension because of the reasons I previously stated on my last post.

- Doggy II

I love the sterile, grimy industrial type maps (Ascension, Der Riese etc.)

FIVE as has been mentioned is hated by many because it's seen as difficult and too different. It's of course no secret that FIVE is my all time fave map in terms of playing it, but the look and feel was a factor for me too, just looks great to me.

I hate the maps like Shang, Shi No Numa and COTD where the scenery is just not suited to a zombies game at all. I've got good scores on all of these maps so it's nothing to do with difficulty. Just hate the look and feel of them.

Also as a side note, I too see Der Riese as one of the easier maps. It's easy once you learn to deal with dogs, any No Man's Land player would mostly have no problems dealing with Der Riese dogs, since they're very predictable unlike NML dogs.

I love Shangri La and CotD, i don't really think the being outdoor or indoor makes a bit of difference. The one thing I would like to see return is just the general creepyness that the WaW maps had like Verruckt and Der Reise. the newer maps just didnt seem to be as creepy and menacing of an environment. I do love the variety of the maps we got in blops though, i think they did a fantastic job

I personally love Cotd, and while George may be very annoying at times, his addition to the game was brilliant. It was something new to zombies, it forced players to change up your strategy. He was rather hard to kill, and I usually enjoy games a lot more if it's really challenging.

Shang and FIVE, as stated above, are are unpopular simply because of their difficulty for the average player. Some people may consider these maps easy, but most wouldn't. They are both unique from the rest of the maps in their own ways, and provide a fresh new experience to zombies that many of the other maps can't.

Shi No Numa I honestly haven't played much, but it seems like an intriguing map to me. It seems like somewhat of an open map to me as well from what I've played so I wouldn't believe to be too hard, but I can understand how it would be.

Most people will play games because they want to win or succeed. It's easier to do this on some maps, more so than others. If something often irritates them or proves to be more difficult than the other maps available, most will tend to play the easier maps because that will make them feel more accomplished.

All-in-all though, each map will generally provide their own unique experience and I try to appreciate each one for what they bring to this amazing game mode. I may enjoy playing some maps over others, but I will play the "less" enjoyable maps to provide myself with a challenge so that I'm not just running the same circle in Ascension over and over again. It's all a matter of opinion I suppose.