Shangri La IS (was) on Mars

Slade

Hey guys, seeing as you still 'argue' about the whole Shangri La mountain thing, I looked at Tac's thread about Shangri La being on Mars, honestly at first - I just couldn't buy it - but it sure got my attention. So I got on SL, noclip'd to the Mountain and, well, I couldn't make anything out of it. Then it accured to me that the answer might just be in the game's texture files.

So I took a texture viewer and started going through Shangri La's texturs (of which there are A LOT) but one thing quickly stood out, the texture was named "gp_ztem_mars_vista_card", I opened the file and guess what -

It's the mountain everybody is talking about - titled MARS in the game files, now that can't be a coincidence right?

Now think of the map again, there are Lunar Lander leftovers in the debris you can clear out, why would they put Lunar Landers in a place like this, if it's supposed to be on Earth, we know that a vast number of Soviet Lunar Landers actually landed on Mars (most of which, if not all at the time, crashed) so that's where the landers come in place.

Now we also know that Shangri La has been visited multiple times before our heros arrival. Richtofen discovered it when he teleported to 'a jungle' when he tested out the Teleporter he designed with dr. Shuster.

So he's been there, now take a look at this particular quote of Richtofen

"Oh look! The Focusing Crystals! I was wondering where they were"

So he has been to Shangri La, multiple times even I believe.

After he took Shuster with him in the Teleporter, he started working on Griffin Station, AND on Shangri La, that's where the whole 115 mining and all the 'advanced technology for the time' that didn't fit in comes from.

But one thing that can't be solved is of course how can they possibly breathe if they're on Mars?

Well this is speculation but I think it directly relates to Richtofen's first arrival at Griffin Station, "I feel almost, weightless" That indicates he's on Moon, but then he starts to lit up a torch (by the sound of it) and starts talking about the Piramid device. How could he even talk on the Moon? My guess is that the Aliens- Vril-ya were capable of creating oxygen in space.

Anyway, there's also alot more to the Radios, will be making a separate thread on that as well.

So yeah this hopefully confirms that those are indeed Mars Mountains, it still doesn't prove that the Heros actually go to Mars, Shangri-La is a 'time traveling temple' as Richtofen calls it, but maybe it can also teleport to different locations just like the MTDs.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I think this practically confirms involvement with Mars. :)

Hell, the mountains were there when they teleported, so they technically did teleport to Mars.

However it's true that it wasn't always there. Remember, the 31-79 JGb215 is actually co-ordinates for a place in the Himalayas. Along with supporting evidence, I believe it was originally there at some point. It's at this point Brock and Gary probably ventured into it.

How, when or why it was put on Mars is a mystery though. Do we have confirmation that the mountains are still there during the Eclipse? That is something that needs to be found out.

This is certainly an interesting find. It raises a lot of questions....

A possible explanation is that Shangri la itself has always resided on Mars, that is why it's so impossible to find. However there is a gateway in the Himalayan jungles which leads you there. Sort of like a stargate. When you pass through it, it teleports you to Mars and Shangri la. It would also need to be a two-way gate. This would explain how Brock and Gary found their way there. Also it would explain how Richtofen left through the jungle and managed to get so much equipment there to mine for 115.

I think this stargate would have been created by the Vril-ya long ago, as a way to pass between the two worlds. As for the water...yeah either it could be running from the jungle into the stargate and then back again or the Vril-ya found a way to produce water in the invisible bio-dome that must be housing Shangri la.

It makes sense that with the golden rod, the crew would have been teleported to a place created by the Vril-ya. They most likely used the golden rod themselves to pass between the worlds.

I'm however still having a hard time believing that the entire Shangri la just upped and moved onto Mars sometime in between Brock and Gary and our crew arriving. There would be no reason behind such a move. Without someone to initiate it and the proper technology already in place on Mars it wouldn't work. So the Vril-ya would have already had to been on Mars to create the proper environment for plants and animals to survive. It seems more likely that Shang was made there by the Vril-ya most likely a very long time ago.

Well that would be my interpretation however flawed it may be. I won't pretend to be one of the Mars believers before this thread. But I'm getting a lot closer to becoming one now.

Remember time travel IS POSSIBLE! They could've time traveled to mars when it was said to be life sustaining. Especially when rictofen goes to the moon, maybe the abundance of 115 overloaded the teleporter and caused it to take him back in time. Even the Easter egg title proves that they time travel. IT'S IN THE NAME! Time Travel Will Tell! The group time travels back in time to Shangri-La or Mars.

Just saying maybe it's Time Travel.

Firstly, did anyone check if the mountains are there if you turn the eclipse on?

And even if they would be still there, we could come up with a theory that "Eclipse" Shangri-La takes place on Earth, whereas the non eclipse one is already on the Mars.

Now as of finding out how could the temple possibly end up on Mars, my theory is that it did not teleport, but it traveled. The really interesting thing is that tornado in the loading screen. For me it looks like Vril-Ya could control and access the temples through making them travel to one of the locations that would be set up for them. One is Himalayas, second one is Mars. There obviously could be some sort of gate, which would support the fact that Richtofen had appeared in a place where he felt weightless, and then found a jungle... But what about him teleporting to a jungle in the Mars? The loading screen clearly shows that the temples are on Mars.

But what about Shangri-La being transported to Earth accidentally? On the loading picture we see multiple temples, being destroyed or depositioned. Maybe Vril-Ya could acutally transport the temples to different locations on a planet through the tornados?

Mars' surface is very vulnerable. I really like what wikipedia says here :

Mars also has the largest dust storms in our Solar System. These can vary from a storm over a small area, to gigantic storms that cover the entire planet. They tend to occur when Mars is closest to the Sun, and have been shown to increase the global temperature

This would mean that initially all the temples were on Mars, and then got depositioned by the storms and tornados, and maybe floated away from the planet, into the space. On the Moon Loading screen you see one temple landing on Moon. Maybe it floated too close to Moon and landed to its surface. The same could happen with Earth. The temple could land somewhere in Himalayas, and the people living there could make it "prettier". I mean that they would see it came form the sky, so they would treat the temple as a gift from gods, making sure it doesn't get damaged any more, making it their shrine. One day Vril-Ya would come to Earth, seeking for the lost temple and find it along with the people worshiping them.

Now I don't really know how it fits with the fact being that Shangri-La is on Mars all the time, but we cannot fully confirm that, so the theory might work.

Also, there are two interesting things in SL's loading screen. First is in the sky, it's the orbs and the sky itself. The orbs are not very circular, so they cannot be any planets, or moons since Mars' got two moons, and one is eclipsing Sun. What are these orbs? Space ships? Maybe meteorites crashing onto Mars' surface?

And the sky... It is... Blue. And the atmosphere on Mars is coloured Red, like the rest of this planet. This would mean that Virl-Ya terraformed the planet. Now terraforming is a thing that many scientists dream about. It's creating an atmosphere and correct conditions for life to exist on a planet/moon that does not contain such conditions. Let's don't underestimate Vril-Ya's, they could create a proper atmosphere on Mars, and thus we see shrubbery and plants, moss, etc. in Shangri-La.

Lastly - what is this? Is this just some part of a rock? A stone plate?

On the first look I thought it's a finger on a some sort of notebook, but it doesn't seem right. It looks very very odd for me, and it might be just me...

AS FAR AS WE KNOW. First of all, Waffles, forgive me if i'm being stubborn I tend to do it a lot. But as far as we know. That doesn't instantly mean that there ever wasn't and if it was life sustaining, it doesn't mean that there is life. It means it's life sustaining. Im thoughts are that the Vril Ya arivved on mars and built the temple they also built a teleporter that can time travel and they traveled to earth and built a teleporter there to make transport easier. They use the humans to mine 115. As to how the explorers got there, They activate the temples time travel mechanism and travel to mars back in time. There wasn't life but it was life sustaining. Maybe i'm not making sense but these are just my thoughts on it.

First off, great post here. This just goes to show don't judge anyone because they're a new member, this post is truly phenominal.

I think we need to examine this much more closely before we say it's confirmed though. Not that I don't believe it's a possibility though. Let me say this right now I do believe it's a possibility. There are connections that are undeniable. I've read Tac's theory and others and there are some convincing points. This could be the confirming evidence, but some things bug me about it.

Who would have thought that Mars would have shrubs and telephone poles on it

[ Image ]

This confuses me very much asw well. This does not appear to be Mars. The shrubbery, fences, and telepohone poles shouldn't be there. It almost looks like the sky backdrop was just added onto a picture of a mountain here on Earth.

Also, what exactly do the other words in the file name mean?:

gp_ztem_mars_vista_card

game picture_zombie temple_mars_vista_card

I'm reading that vista can be another word for view, but I don't know, it seems like such a odd choice for words. And "card" I'm unsure of as well. Could someone maybe touch up on those last two?

A quick Google search of "mars vista" all result in a Mar Vista, Los Angeles, CA. Coincidentaly enough, Treyarch Studios lies dead square on the border of the Mar Vista District of Los Angeles, CA. Was the file name a misprint? Unlikely, but possible. Is the fact that Treyarch lies on the border of the Mar Vistadistrict of Los Angeles, CA just a coincidence? Most likely. I'd personally just like to know what the other two words refer to. Oh, and Jimmy Zelinkski's twitter account also states his location is "Shangri La"

I think this is all more a coincidence, but it's a very strange one.

But then again, why would they use a reference picture from Mars for Shangri La in the first place? This would actually support that Shangri La is indeed at Mars at some point.

One strong point that I like that supports it being on Mars is the Lunar Lander. I've yet to hear a reasonable explanation on why there is a Lunar Lander there. Mars might be the answer to that question.

[tab][/tab]Another interesting thing to note is that the Vril-ya have never had any association with Mars. Nowhere in the novel does it ever mention Mars or traveling to other planets. In fact, that's the whole thing behind the story, the Vril-ya inhabit Inner Earth, and will eventually take over our world above ground when space runs out down below. While the Vril-ya could most likely posses the power for interplanetary travel, it would contradict the novel entirely. But this isn't about that book, it's about Treyarch's book. And in Treyarch's book, anything is possible. The Moon was not mentioned in The Coming Race either, but sure enough that happened.

Ultimately, this leaves us with a fiew final questions: Why Mars? Why now? And What's the significance? Could they be suggesting a trip back to Shangri La and Mars? Doubtful of that. If it is indeed Mars, I hope it just a fun little FYI for us and not significant to the future storyline of the gang. I just see there being a VERY far stretch with Mars. Moon I get. JFK, the Russians, it was all plausbile. But Mars is just another whole story. It's going to be interesting to see where Treyarch's taking this.

Questions. Why must we always end up with more questions than answers. Damn you Treyarch!

gp_ztem_mars_vista_card

I'm reading that vista can be another word for view, but I don't know, it seems like such a odd choice for words. And "card" I'm unsure of as well. Could someone maybe touch up on those last two?

I'm not a game developer, but I am a 3D artist. Here's my own 2 cents...

I think you have the vista part right.

I think the card part is referring to the texture being projected on a flat 2D plane or wall of polygons, in 3D space.

I've seen the map no-clipped before. The map developers didn't actually model the mountains in the background. It's simply the texture map displayed on flat walls of polygons facing in your direction. The wall of polygons is a card.

So vista_card is a short way of saying "the flat texture of the mountain you see out in the distance".

- Mix

gp_ztem_mars_vista_card

I'm not a game developer, but I am a 3D artist. Here's my own 2 cents...

I think you have the vista part right.

I think the card part is referring to the texture being projected on a flat 2D plane or wall of polygons, in 3D space.

I've seen the map no-clipped before. The map developers didn't actually model the mountains in the background. It's simply the texture map displayed on flat walls of polygons facing in your direction. The wall of polygons is a card.

So vista_card is a short way of saying "the flat texture of the mountain you see out in the distance".

- Mix

Ah, gotcha, thanks for the explanation Mix! Much appreciated!

It appears if they're using a reference picture of Mars for the background of Shangri-La, the connection is quite strong.

So it seems there are a few different, logical theories here now :twisted:

- Mars

- Moon

- California

Mars is in the lead in my book thanks to the texture file's name. After Mix's explanation of the last two words of the coding, it seems like they're using Mars as a direct reference for the background.

I just don't see a reason to use Mars as a reference picture unless there was a reason behind it.

The Mars theory is gaining strength by the minute.

• Administrators

So it seems there are a few different, logical theories here now :twisted:

- Mars

- Moon

- California

Mars is in the lead in my book thanks to the texture file's name. After Mix's explanation of the last two words of the coding, it seems like they're using Mars as a direct reference for the background.

I just don't see a reason to use Mars as a reference picture unless there was a reason behind it.

The Mars theory is gaining strength by the minute.

We know they were blasting monkeys into the atmosphere, so I feel that as said in the OP, it could explain the broken down lander in Shangri-La.

Hi I'm Dtyrone i just wanted to help with something of the Shangri La loading screen. I have some pictures to show you that supports my theory a bit about the three objects in the sky.

In this first picture you can see our solar system after the Earth comes Mars. In this picture you can really see that before mars there are 3 planets and 1 big moon.

Because of this i think the objects in the sky are 2 planets and 1 moon. The planet that covers the eclipse must be the Earth because its a Big Eclipse. By further i can see that the objects must be out of atmosphere of shangri la because of the stripes that covers them in the front. There also other strange things that i saw and i just wanted to share them with you

In this image you can see the same objects that are in the shangri la loading screen. So they must be planets.

Sorry for my bad english, not a American or Englishmen.

Tell me what you think about it

Greetz,

D

[tab][/tab] Good theory, but horribly off scale. Check out this website a friend had me look at recently - http://www.phrenopolis.com/perspective/solarsystem/ - The distance between the planets is so vast, that the Earth would look like nothing more than a small blue spec in the night sky. That is the same reason we can't see mars floating about as a giant red disc. It is too far away. Also the following image shows the view of mars' moons in the night sky on mars. They are very tiny. Deimos is the bright white dot, and phobos is the bright looking star to the left.

Thnx for the replies guys!

Was just checking if it could have been.

I really don't know what possible those objects can be now, Treyarch has us brainstorming big here!

off topic doesn't the picture of the mountains remind you guys off the movie back to the future III? :lol:

Grtz D

But since we have a proof that S-L is on Mars at some point, we cannot assume that this might be happening somewhere else in space. Of course, we can say that the planet that the temple of doom is on is very similar to Mars, or the same... Since MDT's can teleport and enable time travel, and were created by "mere" humans, why wouldn't Vril-Ya be so powerful to create their own dimension, a second universe that they could change to their liking?

We have discovered that the mountain in the background is from Mars. But that still gives us more questions than answers, like everything in Zombies.

How do they survive in Mars? What is eclipsing sun? How did the temple get here along with life?

Is there any other object in the sky that could be big enough to at least compare it to the three orbs in the background?

• 5 weeks later...

How do they survive in Mars?

I don't think its on Mars, if it was why wouldn't they use the same technology that they had to breath on Mars, on Moon? From my understanding Richtofen teleported from Der Riese to the Moon and then to Shangri-la and back to Der Riese, he then gathered 935 scientist at Der Riese and build Griffin station on the Moon in 2 years. So actually they had all the time to use the same technology to be able to breath on the Moon.

Tell me what you think

Grtz D

As you can see on the loading screen, the sky is red but there is a small blue area. This could mean there is an atmosphere in the place they are right now.

What I would predict is that Eclipse takes place on Earth, whereas the non-Eclipse Shangri-La takes place on Mars.

However this still doesn't explain much since we don't know what eclipses the sun, so we can't be sure of the location.

If they are indeed on Mars, it is possible that they're in a big Bio Dome which has gravity and oxygen for plants and animals to survive.

If they are somewhere else in space, we can make up so many theories and yet we will not be satisfied with them.

I think that if TARC would like to have a mountain in the background of a map, they would use or create a more "Earth" mountain. Also, the texture is called mars, so that means they don't want us to look for S-L on Earth. I see no reason why they would use a Mars mountain if Shangri-La was not there.