Are the old maps likely to return?

I've been ranting about the hardened edition for BO2 lots this year because it might include the old zombie maps and i really want to know if it does and when its released. Is it likely they will include them? It will boost sales greatly IMO. I've never bought a hardened edition before so i don't know the price range of them.

Could anyone tell me roughly how much it would cost (GBP £) and would you get a download code for the maps or do they come on the disc? Hopefully Nuketown 2025 is also included in Hardened

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do hope the classic maps return, because I love them, and it would provide great variety in zombies from the start. Realistically, though, it's ten maps (some of which are LARGE), which would be one large map pack file size. That's the only reason I can think of for them not bringing back the maps, but I hope they do.

[tab][/tab]I honestly hope they don't. I don't want to pay for the W@W maps for a THIRD time. I think with all the new gamemodes and the sheer number of maps they'd have to transfer, that we would probably not see all or any of the old maps come to BO2. I personally would much rather they spend their time making three new maps, than slightly changing things on 11 old maps (10 if no DOA). I don't think they could only take some and leave others either, because this would probably anger many fans, and I feel like the decision making process of which ones stay and which ones don't, would not be an easy one for Treyarch. Much easier just to say no to all of them.

Rezurrection map pack was just a big scam.

I had to purchase 4 old maps so that I could play the new map.

The philosophy behind that is Activision's horrible creed.

Also I don't get why people want old maps back for third time. When you can simply play them in W@W or BO.

Also bringing the old maps back just takes time away from making new refreshing maps.

Honestly if Treyarch decides to to force us again to buy old maps to get the new ones, I will simply pirate the map packs. Simply as that.

I hope that the third or fourth wave is the old maps. I really want to to have all the maps in the most updated Zombies game. I don't want to be playing this super awesome game and have to back to mediocrity just to play Moon or something.

So I really hope that one of the preorder bonuses is them.

If you don't want to buy it, THEN DON'T.

EDIT: Btw, there is no hardened edition. There's just the game. You preorder early, then you get the game + 4 bonuses.

• Administrators

When did they ever say there was no hardened edition? They didn't, there is still a chance like always. They didn't announce the Black Ops Hardened/Prestige Edition until August 12 of 2010, so we still have more then a month of time we could get an announcement.

And for the maps, I hope they are not released at launch and that is what we are paying for. I want them to be released over the span of the game until MW4 and they release them that way. If you are a premium ELITE member then you get them for free is what I'd prefer.

I hope none of the old maps W@W or BO are coming back.

If they do they NEED to be free.

This x10.

We all basically bought the WaW maps twice. At this point, they should just be available or auto-transfer to Blops 2 if we bought the maps on Blops. There's no way I'm forking over an extra 20 bucks for the something three times. If anything, they might just do the same thing they did before, however have it be the Blops maps instead. However I'm fairly certain people will complain about wanting all maps on one game, which, I'm right there with them, I just don't wanna have to play for all of them again.

My guess...

Classic Maps: Hardened Edition pre-order bonus.

Blops1 maps: Done randomly though Elite content drops and eventually bundled with Classic maps and a new one for the season end pack.

That being said I would love a COTD remake without George.

^ THIS :lol:

But on a more serious note I believe that the Hardened edition (if true) will cost around $80 just like all COD Hardened editions (MW2 and MW3). I really hope though that all the WaW maps and Blops maps will come free with ELITE content drops. I will not buy the same maps again and again every time they revamp zombies.

Rezurrection map pack was just a big scam.

I had to purchase 4 old maps so that I could play the new map.

The philosophy behind that is Activision's horrible creed.

Also I don't get why people want old maps back for third time. When you can simply play them in W@W or BO.

Also bringing the old maps back just takes time away from making new refreshing maps.

Honestly if Treyarch decides to to force us again to buy old maps to get the new ones, I will simply pirate the map packs. Simply as that.

It was my understanding that people who purchased the hardened edition got the Moon map for free when the Rez pack launched.

I could be completely wrong or maybe that was just on XBL.

Well 10 maps would be a giant file size. I think if they were to do it, it should be a 2nd disc and it should be free. However this is Activision and nothing is free, so it will probably be a buy them again scenario or nothing at all.

I agree with it should be free, and i also agree that they should spend there time on developing more maps but i don't know how long or how much effort it would take to transfer these maps into a downloadable file. Say the Hardened edition is £70 ($110) and with that you got the game, maybe a little new zombie map without much backstory like Nacht or ''FIVE'' (But not as little as DOA) 2 old MP maps, Summit and Firing range aswell as Nuketown 2025 and some other physical stuff that would make it worth £70. Then it would also include the 11 zombie maps, which would make it worth more than £70, making them free.

One thing i do ask, keep the black ops guns in the black ops maps box, and put the WaW guns back in the WaW maps box!

**Removing George from CoTD would be nice, but would leave the VR-11 even more useless than it already is :lol:

When did they ever say there was no hardened edition? They didn't, there is still a chance like always. They didn't announce the Black Ops Hardened/Prestige Edition until August 12 of 2010, so we still have more then a month of time we could get an announcement.

And for the maps, I hope they are not released at launch and that is what we are paying for. I want them to be released over the span of the game until MW4 and they release them that way. If you are a premium ELITE member then you get them for free is what I'd prefer.

Yeah, and there's a chance there will be a Fluffy Edition. My point is, they haven't announced one yet, so don't go assuming. Especially since they've already started bonuses and pre-ordering. I think if there was going to be one, they'd be out right now, unless they implement and easy-to-do upgrade-your-pre-order kind of thing.

As for you other guys, NO! N! O! NO! They should NOT edit the old maps in game-altering ways. You can't please everyone, if they alter them, then they'll be subject to everyone whining every other way to change something that they didn't like the first time.

The only changes, if any, that should be made are:

1. New BO2 mechanics (if they aren't changed too much)

2. Inclusion into new game modes

3. BO2 weapons in the Mystery Box

4. Mule Kick stays in the maps

General:The old maps are classics, and they are what turned Nazi Zombies into the phenomona that it is today. People still love playing some of the original 4 maps (Nacht, Verruckt, Shi no Numa, and Der Riese)over all the DLC that's been released for zombies thus far.

With that being said, I'm POSITIVE that some people (a lot of people) will still enjoy some of the previous maps more than they would some of the new maps in Blops 2.

And no, this isn't me saying the new maps are going to suck ass. This is me saying what I've observed since day 1 of Nazi Zombies and what has been happening over the past couple years.

Reason why to include:

The reason I want the old maps on the Blops 2 (whether it be a free download or included in normal or hardened edition) is strictly to save time switching between Black Ops I and Black Ops II disks as I, as well as many others, had to do with Black Ops I and World at War.

-Gameplay value

Reaons why not to:

However, I do agree that some maps should have a shelf life. They remastered the original 4 to be included in Black Ops I. Would they really do that AGAIN to put into Black Ops II??

and do we really want to pay ANOTHER $30 for maps we've bought twice before? And does that mean we'd also have to buy the maps from Black Ops I? Granted, i'm sure by being able to play 10+ of the previous maps plus whatever new maps are being released would give us a giant selection of zombie slaying fun!

Conclusion and my final idea:

Players want options. Players want variety. Including ALL of the previous maps would give the players just that especially when combined with the new game modes and corresponding maps. In order to do this, however, Treyarch would have to once again go back and remaster the maps which costs time and money. Would they include the maps as a gift to us or would we have to pay for them AGAIN?!

I think it'd be nice to have all the zombie maps in one location rather than being on 3 seperate disks.

So why not instead of having everyone purchase these maps again, Treyarch could just insert a system that checks if you've purchased the previous maps on either of the other Treyarch games and then permit you to download the maps for no extra charge. For players who haven't previously bought them can choose to buy them in 'packs'. Original 4 in one, the rest in another, or all in just one giant packaged deal.

I think this would be best.

"We would have to pay for them again!" Excuse me? "We would HAVE/u]-" Says who? If Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 had a super fluffy pink edition, would you HAVE to buy that? No. You don't HAVE to buy anything. If they came out with the old maps but cost $60, you wouldn't HAVE to buy it. In fact, if it did come out and you chose not to buy it AND if it did not come out, your world would be exactly the same; you don't have those maps. But if the first was true, then other people who would be willing to pay can at least get it. They should make it to appeal to their fans. If some of their fans don't want it, then they don't have to buy it!!! And yes, actually, I like my maps recycled. I like the idea of playing the classic Nacht der Untoten each game with a new twist on things yet retaining its classic value. Every game the mechanics get better and more refined. When I play an old map, I don't want to have to go back to the old game mechanics. I like retro. I like the old, classic, awesome maps with a new feel to them. I want to use BO2 weapons in Der Riese. I want to use an RPG in Kino.

I don't know exactly how you guys felt, but I had fun when Black Ops first came out. I could play the new Kino der Toten and "Five", but I could also play the oh-so-fun, revamped Nacht der Untoten, Verruckt, Shi No Numa, Der Riese. Now just imagine that on a larger scale. I really don't care how to get them. Getting them free for getting a certain edition or pre-order or whatnot would be cool, or just outright paying for them would be cool too. Either way, I doubt it'd be free. *shrugs* perhaps. Any way, I want those maps.

I shall imagine all will be revealed in August, even if there not in any edition i'm pretty sure they will be released as monthly elite DLC because i can't see the zombie team having a good map ready every month.

If i wait until the Hardened edition is announced to pre-order it, and when it is announced i don't like it and i choose to order the standard edition, will i get all the bonuses or will i be to late?

• Administrators

I shall imagine all will be revealed in August, even if there not in any edition i'm pretty sure they will be released as monthly elite DLC because i can't see the zombie team having a good map ready every month.

If i wait until the Hardened edition is announced to pre-order it, and when it is announced i don't like it and i choose to order the standard edition, will i get all the bonuses or will i be to late?

I'm confused by the question, you mean the pre-order bonuses by Gamestop?

As for pre-ordering.... Pre-order it now. Like right now. Pre-order the standard edition and when they announce a higher edition decide right then if you want to upgrade to it. But if you know you are getting the game, pre-order the game in the next month so you are sure you're getting Nuketown 2025, and the other two bonuses, and maybe even the poster if you do it soon enough.

• Administrators

I'll just Pre-order the regular edition tomorow on GAME or Play.com and if the Hardened edition is any good i'll upgrade to that if possible.

You can, you can upgrade or downgrade at any time you want :)

Here's my guess: Only some of the black ops maps will return; obviously kino and moon because of obvious reasons, I don't think Assension or doa will be back, Mabie five if their working JFK nixon and Oliver north into the next game, same goes for cotd, and shangri la if they include cotd....

That's how I see things; heres an easier to understand list:

In: Kino, Moon

Probobly not: DOA Assension

Mabie: five cotd shangrila....

"We would have to pay for them again!" Excuse me? "We would HAVE/u]-" Says who? If Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 had a super fluffy pink edition, would you HAVE to buy that? No. You don't HAVE to buy anything. If they came out with the old maps but cost $60, you wouldn't HAVE to buy it. In fact, if it did come out and you chose not to buy it AND if it did not come out, your world would be exactly the same; you don't have those maps.
- I do not appreciate the tone of sarcasm here, personally.

However it DOES indeed affect those who don't get it, as recycling these 11 maps will take time away from the new ones which those who don't want to buy the old maps for the second or third time, want. It will also decrease the player count in maps, as some people that would be playing the new maps, may instead play the remade old ones, aand unless it is bundled in the disk for a special edition, it also forces Treyarch/Activision to pay more to microsoft to put it downloadable on LIVE, I don't know if PSN or Steam charges companies for download links, but I would assume they have to get some money from somewhere. Anyhow, this extra expense of putting out these old maps will comeback around to us in someway shape or form. More maps, means less time devoted to each map in bug fixes. The list goes on. We are talking about 11 maps. Just rezurrection was a large piece of DLC, this would almost triple that.

As an added note, most, if not all, of the old maps would probably not work very well with the new gametypes as well. Nacht would never be able to handle 8 players or a form of competitive play. It is just too small. Even Verruckt, Kino, FIVE, and maybe Der Riese would be tough. They are introducing more to zombies this time around than they did last time. It just isn't as backwards compatible anymore, in my opinion.

Anyboy who thinks the old maps won't return is seriously deluded. That's money on the table, Activision does not leave money on the table.

Monthly content drops seems the most likely:

How many zombie maps do we have? 10(I'm not counting DOA)

How many months out of the year does Elite have content drops? 10

"We would have to pay for them again!" Excuse me? "We would HAVE/u]-" Says who? If Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 had a super fluffy pink edition, would you HAVE to buy that? No. You don't HAVE to buy anything. If they came out with the old maps but cost $60, you wouldn't HAVE to buy it. In fact, if it did come out and you chose not to buy it AND if it did not come out, your world would be exactly the same; you don't have those maps. But if the first was true, then other people who would be willing to pay can at least get it. They should make it to appeal to their fans. If some of their fans don't want it, then they don't have to buy it!!! And yes, actually, I like my maps recycled. I like the idea of playing the classic Nacht der Untoten each game with a new twist on things yet retaining its classic value. Every game the mechanics get better and more refined. When I play an old map, I don't want to have to go back to the old game mechanics. I like retro. I like the old, classic, awesome maps with a new feel to them. I want to use BO2 weapons in Der Riese. I want to use an RPG in Kino.

I don't know exactly how you guys felt, but I had fun when Black Ops first came out. I could play the new Kino der Toten and "Five", but I could also play the oh-so-fun, revamped Nacht der Untoten, Verruckt, Shi No Numa, Der Riese. Now just imagine that on a larger scale. I really don't care how to get them. Getting them free for getting a certain edition or pre-order or whatnot would be cool, or just outright paying for them would be cool too. Either way, I doubt it'd be free. *shrugs* perhaps. Any way, I want those maps.

Oh my god, the voice of reason has arrived! This is exactly what I was saying when people were complaining about Rezurrection!

As an added note, most, if not all, of the old maps would probably not work very well with the new gametypes as well. Nacht would never be able to handle 8 players or a form of competitive play. It is just too small. Even Verruckt, Kino, FIVE, and maybe Der Riese would be tough. They are introducing more to zombies this time around than they did last time. It just isn't as backwards compatible anymore, in my opinion.

Yes, it's a small map. Of course, so is Shipment, Rust, Nuketown, and Dome. And yet, what are the favorite maps from these CoD games? People love small multiplayer maps. Maybe multiplayer Zombies will be the same, maybe not. Either way, I'd love to try it out. Variety is always a good thing.